Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!
 
Selahgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,124
Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
Anyone know what the deal is with xylitol? I mean, it says FOUR grams of carbs on the label but I've read many places where it 'doesn't count because it doesn't raise blood sugar'. Seems odd.

I'll have to ditch the xylitol if I have to really count four carbs per teaspoon!

I have tried that Erythritol sweetener but can't recall the carb counts, if any, on that, or what the stuff IS. Trying to stay on side of health, not chemicals.
Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member
 
AnnetteW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 636
Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
I mix half splenda half erythritol for my "sprinkle" sweetner of choice. In fact it's in a Truvia container and my stepdaughter and her friend were using it in iced-tea, saying how wonderful Truvia is.....I didn't say anything. That's what I use if I bake (I don't do it much yet, waiting till at goal.)

I do have Xylitol at home and haven't used it yet. It's a sugar alcohol I believe, so it's up to you how you count the carbs and if they affect you.

What do you want to use the Xylitol in? If you use artificial sweetners rarely, the occasional use (and count) is probably not going to make a big difference. It's when they are used a lot.

I drink iced tea and use the cheap saccharin drops (less than $2/bottle) and think they give the best flavor in drinks. I do have stevia drops too which taste pretty good.
__________________
My Skinny Jeans (NK Journal)
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!
 
Selahgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,124
Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
I mix half splenda half erythritol for my "sprinkle" sweetner of choice. In fact it's in a Truvia container and my stepdaughter and her friend were using it in iced-tea, saying how wonderful Truvia is.....I didn't say anything. That's what I use if I bake (I don't do it much yet, waiting till at goal.)

I do have Xylitol at home and haven't used it yet. It's a sugar alcohol I believe, so it's up to you how you count the carbs and if they affect you.

What do you want to use the Xylitol in? If you use artificial sweeteners rarely, the occasional use (and count) is probably not going to make a big difference. It's when they are used a lot.

I drink iced tea and use the cheap saccharin drops (less than $2/bottle) and think they give the best flavor in drinks. I do have stevia drops too which taste pretty good.
Well, I like sweetener in my morning coffee, iced tea and in no bake cooking. I've got about 20 large bottles of flavored DaVinci syrups with splenda that I'm using up SLOWLY but I don't believe splenda is very healthy even though it tastes great and you can use it just like sugar.
Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #94
Junior LCF Member
 
petchatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 4
Gallery: petchatter
Stats: 218/157/135
WOE: Dynamite 180
Start Date: March 2011
Xylitol

Lurker butting in to say be very careful with Xylitol as it is toxic to Dogs. May be one of the better sweeteners for humans as long as we keep it away from our 4-leggeds.

Debbra in PA
petchatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
This morning, I came to work to find that there was leftover steak in the fridge. I opened it up and it turned out it was not steak, but brownies and turtle bars. Of course, I did not have any.

Then, I showed them to my husband, and he picked up a turtle bar and took a bite. I caved and had a small bite only.

Now I feel like I am losing my mind. I did not have any more, but I can't stop thinking about it. This is supposed to be a down day and I am not eating, but I keep going over and getting an olive to eat, and when someone fixed a frozen pizza and offered me some, I had one piece, but only the toppings.

I practically feel frantic. There is too much food here. I leave here at 1 pm and go straight to my other job, where there is no food, so I will be safe when I get there, but may still have cravings.

Tonight, my son's family is coming over for dinner, and I fear that my DIL will bring high carb food with her, which she does because she gets irritated by my diabetes, and then gets angry if I do not eat the higher carb food. I am not cooking tonight, so I have no control over the menu.

Anyway, I am going crazy with carb cravings on my down day. When will I ever learn? This, my dear friends, is carb addiction.
__________________
Rebecca



Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member
 
Jennafun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 61
Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I did buy EZSweetz for a long time, and I love using it. The flavor is good, and I hate having to waste carbs on the padding in splenda packets. It's a quick and easy way to add sweetness to recipes, too.

What I don't love is the price - it is pretty expensive. After following some other threads on SF sweeteners, I discovered you can buy sucralose without the fillers. I found it online at Amazon - it comes in a foil packet, and you use a very small amount because it is so intensely sweet. I make 1 TB of liquid splenda by diluting 1/2 tsp. of sucralose in 1 TB water. I paid around $15 for 50 grams of it this time last year, and I haven't used more than 1/4 of the package in that amount of time.
Interesting info. Thanks, I'm going to check it out on amazon
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member
 
Jennafun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 61
Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by petchatter View Post
Lurker butting in to say be very careful with Xylitol as it is toxic to Dogs. May be one of the better sweeteners for humans as long as we keep it away from our 4-leggeds.

Debbra in PA
WOW, I will have to watch that with my dog too. I don't love the taste of xilitol - got a big tin that is just taking up space.
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member
 
AnnetteW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 636
Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
I've never opened my bag of xylitol since I read about the dog warning right after I bought it. I don't know if I like it or not. Plus I always worry about tummy distress.

I only use sweetners with "body" on a pancake or baking, not in a drink, so it's not something I eat all the time.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #99
Junior LCF Member
 
petchatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 4
Gallery: petchatter
Stats: 218/157/135
WOE: Dynamite 180
Start Date: March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
I've never opened my bag of xylitol since I read about the dog warning right after I bought it. I don't know if I like it or not. Plus I always worry about tummy distress.

I only use sweetners with "body" on a pancake or baking, not in a drink, so it's not something I eat all the time.
So glad to hear you were aware, Annette. I saw that pic of you and your beautiful dog and just had to butt in. So many people are unaware and many pets have died. FWIW, I tried Xylitol some time back. Found too much did cause stomach issues. Like other stuff you have to get used to it, but then if it has that affect maybe we don't want to get used to it? I have two standard poodles who get into everything so decided it just wasn't worth the risk.

Debbra in PA
petchatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member
 
AnnetteW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 636
Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by petchatter View Post
So glad to hear you were aware, Annette. I saw that pic of you and your beautiful dog and just had to butt in. So many people are unaware and many pets have died. FWIW, I tried Xylitol some time back. Found too much did cause stomach issues. Like other stuff you have to get used to it, but then if it has that affect maybe we don't want to get used to it? I have two standard poodles who get into everything so decided it just wasn't worth the risk.

Debbra in PA
Ah, my Penny is my baby. We love here dearly. I probably should just trash the bag I have (of xylitol), just haven't done it yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dinner tonight was lovely, went with my husband, daughter and her boyfriend out to a Mongolian BBQ and it was great. I even had 2 glasses of wine. It's nice to make up one's dinner with veggies and meat items (mine were shrimp, calamari, and scallops) and skip the noodles or rice.

Weight might be up tomorrow, but that's irrelevant. I know I ate good and healthy foods.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 475
Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
This morning, I came to work to find that there was leftover steak in the fridge. I opened it up and it turned out it was not steak, but brownies and turtle bars. Of course, I did not have any.

Then, I showed them to my husband, and he picked up a turtle bar and took a bite. I caved and had a small bite only.

Now I feel like I am losing my mind. I did not have any more, but I can't stop thinking about it. This is supposed to be a down day and I am not eating, but I keep going over and getting an olive to eat, and when someone fixed a frozen pizza and offered me some, I had one piece, but only the toppings.

I practically feel frantic. There is too much food here. I leave here at 1 pm and go straight to my other job, where there is no food, so I will be safe when I get there, but may still have cravings.

Tonight, my son's family is coming over for dinner, and I fear that my DIL will bring high carb food with her, which she does because she gets irritated by my diabetes, and then gets angry if I do not eat the higher carb food. I am not cooking tonight, so I have no control over the menu.

Anyway, I am going crazy with carb cravings on my down day. When will I ever learn? This, my dear friends, is carb addiction.
Is your daughter trying to kill you? You have diabetes and she is trying to get you to eat high carb food. What is wrong with that picture? Let her get angry. Maybe she won't bring high carb food the next time. Just hang in there. Keep thinking about how the carbs will affect your insides. Your health is more important than any food.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
Is your daughter trying to kill you? You have diabetes and she is trying to get you to eat high carb food. What is wrong with that picture? Let her get angry. Maybe she won't bring high carb food the next time. Just hang in there. Keep thinking about how the carbs will affect your insides. Your health is more important than any food.
Carolyn
I do not think my daughter-in-law is trying to kill me, but I do know that she does not understand about the prevention and treatment of diabetes. When I told her that I had been diagnosed, and that I could not eat carbs, she asked me what eating carbs has to do with diabetes, and then said she did not want to "get into it" with me.

And, for the record, she brought a salad with croutons, so not too bad. It was yummy and I even ate a few croutons.

I made strawberry ice cream made with coconut milk for dessert and that was yummy, too!

My husband grilled pork chops outside, so, all in all, a very nice meal.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member
 
MerryKate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sequim, WA
Posts: 699
Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I caved and had a small bite only. Now I feel like I am losing my mind.
I can identify with this...sadly, I'm also a sugarholic. One bite of sugar can throw me off for a whole day, and they are supercharged cravings. In case of future temptations, take some safe food along - a fat bomb, hard boiled egg, anything which will nip your hunger in the bud. I learned when I was working in an office that I had to plan ahead just in case someone brought goodies to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I fear that my DIL will bring high carb food with her, which she does because she gets irritated by my diabetes
Irritated? I can see being frustrated at having to cook a bit differently, but irritated? Sheesh...it's not like you're doing it for giggles and grins. Time for her to show her love for you by thinking of how best to feed you in light of your health issues.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member
 
MerryKate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sequim, WA
Posts: 699
Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
Anyone know what the deal is with xylitol? I mean, it says FOUR grams of carbs on the label but I've read many places where it 'doesn't count because it doesn't raise blood sugar'. Seems odd.
That's because a lot of companies are selling their products to low-carbers by implying that you can completely discount sugar alcohols. That's not true - the only sugar alcohol that is essentially "free" is erythritol, because so little of it is absorbed into your bloodstream - 0.2 calories per gram (as opposed to sugar which is 4 cal/gram and Xylitol at 2.5 cal/gram). Since xylitol is actually partially digested, it causes gastric distress, so be careful with it if you use it.

Comparison of Sugar and Sugar Alcohols

Ingredient • Sweetness vs. Sugar • Cal/g
Sucrose(sugar) • 100% • 4
Maltitol Syrup • 75% • 3
Maltitol • 75% • 2.7
Xylitol • 100% • 2.5
Isomalt • 55% • 2.1
Sorbitol • 60% • 2.5
Lactitol • 35% • 2
Mannitol • 60% • 1.5
Erythritol • 70% • 0.2
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 914
Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Things are pretty good. I have been maintaining since June. I went out of NK at the recommendation of my personal trainer who thinks I should be eating more carbs and protein, because it is a healthier diet. I almost lost my mind and had to get back in because eventually the hunger and stomach pains were just too much to handle. I had the urge to binge pretty much every night, even though I was getting enough calories.

When I got back into NK things were better but there were still episodes of bingeing once in awhile which were triggered by social situations. However somehow, I still managed to maintain my weight.

Carb levels are good but I am struggling with the fat and protein. Quite simply I need to reduce my protein to make room for more fat. I am not really in ketosis. I drop too low in blood ketones over night. However if my nutrition is planned out well, I feel fine and do not have bingeing urges. Recently I have discovered a food sensitivity which tends to cause "false" hunger, so I have cut out dairy from cow. I am not entirely sure whether it is all dairy or just cow dairy. Cutting out all cow dairy has seemed to reduce the symptoms, so I am going to keep high fat sheep and goat products around for a bit longer to see how I react to that. There is a difference between a food allergy and an intolerance which is just a digestive issue, so it could just mean that I need the proper enzymes to digest cows milk products properly. Giving up dairy is pretty difficult on a high fat diet! Oh well, I guess I need to do more research on it. The last thing I want to do is go through another cycle of yoyo dieting, I am getting too old for that.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member
 
AnnetteW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 636
Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Punkin,
Glad you got back on track quickly, before any damage was done. I can't help but wonder what I'll do at maintenance. I do hope I can relax a little bit, but I won't know till I get there. And hopefully I won't what to let down my guard. I do think about it though.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!
 
Selahgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,124
Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
That's because a lot of companies are selling their products to low-carbers by implying that you can completely discount sugar alcohols. That's not true - the only sugar alcohol that is essentially "free" is erythritol, because so little of it is absorbed into your bloodstream - 0.2 calories per gram (as opposed to sugar which is 4 cal/gram and Xylitol at 2.5 cal/gram). Since xylitol is actually partially digested, it causes gastric distress, so be careful with it if you use it.

Comparison of Sugar and Sugar Alcohols

Ingredient • Sweetness vs. Sugar • Cal/g
Sucrose(sugar) • 100% • 4
Maltitol Syrup • 75% • 3
Maltitol • 75% • 2.7
Xylitol • 100% • 2.5
Isomalt • 55% • 2.1
Sorbitol • 60% • 2.5
Lactitol • 35% • 2
Mannitol • 60% • 1.5
Erythritol • 70% • 0.2
Wow, good info! Seems those who sell xylitol are spouting the same thing that it doesn't affect blood sugar so it 'doesn't count' as far as carbs. Sigh.

Sure limited to sweeteners out there. Drat. Just bought two containers of xylitol [I did use it before when low carbing, too] but maybe I can buy some erythritol and use it alone or mix the two to lessen the xylitol problems. Can't hurt to try I guess!

Last edited by Selahgal; 09-16-2013 at 06:41 AM..
Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #108
Junior LCF Member
 
stawalke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 58
Gallery: stawalke
Stats: 240/221/135
WOE: NK
Start Date: August 2013
After a rough week last week I am back on track! I didn't weigh myself the last half of last week because I knew I would be up water weight, and that would depress me. I weighed myself this morning and I have lost all water weight and down a pound! Yay.
stawalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member
 
MerryKate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sequim, WA
Posts: 699
Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
Drat. Just bought two containers of xylitol [I did use it before when low carbing, too] but maybe I can buy some erythritol and use it alone or mix the two to lessen the xylitol problems. Can't hurt to try I guess!
Why not? With SF sweeteners, you'll get a flavor closer to sugar by combining several - and you need less, because the combined sweetness is more intense than any one of the sweeteners on its own.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member
 
MerryKate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sequim, WA
Posts: 699
Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I seem to be hitting my stride, finally. I left my job a few weeks back, and I'm finding I'm eating better. Because I had to take a lunch with me to work I ate on a schedule; now I'm eating when I'm actually hungry. And for the past few days I've forgotten to eat lunch, which means in turn that I've eaten fewer calories overall. I lost a pound this week, which is a good start, and I'm hopeful this losing trend will continue.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member
 
Jennafun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 61
Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I seem to be hitting my stride, finally. I left my job a few weeks back, and I'm finding I'm eating better. Because I had to take a lunch with me to work I ate on a schedule; now I'm eating when I'm actually hungry. And for the past few days I've forgotten to eat lunch, which means in turn that I've eaten fewer calories overall. I lost a pound this week, which is a good start, and I'm hopeful this losing trend will continue.
I believe it. I definitely eat more when I am at work.
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member
 
iamkathy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 329
Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by petchatter View Post
Lurker butting in to say be very careful with Xylitol as it is toxic to Dogs. May be one of the better sweeteners for humans as long as we keep it away from our 4-leggeds.

Debbra in PA
I made THE BEST ICE CREAM EVER with Xylitol and it made my guests ill and my hubby! I only had a small amount, so I was fine!
iamkathy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member
 
iamkathy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 329
Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennafun View Post
I believe it. I definitely eat more when I am at work.
Jenna how tall are you??? Kathy
iamkathy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member
 
Jennafun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 61
Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
Almost 5 feet and very small boned. Why?
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member
 
AnnetteW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 636
Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Today was just a good food day. I ate, and I ate quite a bit, and my tummy is happy and satisfied. My body feels nourished.

I'm doing the stable/maintenance thing really well right now....which is all good and well, minus the weight loss portion.

But we all have to remember, nothing is wrong with maintaining.

Maybe I'll try the next 3 days to be strict and see a pound drop off (that's kind of my routine.)

I've been fighting a headache for the past few days though, and sometimes that makes me want to eat more....when I don't feel good.

I think my blood sugar is dropping back down into the lower ranges, and that might be causing the headaches.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!
 
Selahgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,124
Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Why not? With SF sweeteners, you'll get a flavor closer to sugar by combining several - and you need less, because the combined sweetness is more intense than any one of the sweeteners on its own.
I mixed the xylitol with the Splenda I had and then thought ... why not mix those two with some erythrital ... and when reaching for the splenda/xylitol blend this morning [haven't bought any erythrital yet] I saw my container of raw sugar blends and thought, why can't I mix them in as well? It would cut down the amount of raw sugar and at least I'd get some minerals and real sugar in with the mix. Make myself a 'super sweetener blend'!

Just an FYI, here's my list section of raw sugars & carb counts:

Sugar, Demerara, 1 tsp, 4g
Sugar, Muscovado, 1 tsp, 4g
Sugar, Sucanat, 1 tsp, 4g
Sugar, Turbinado, 1 tsp, 3g

Yes, I am always TWEAKING!
__________________
Marci

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done.
Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds all our understanding.
His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7



Last edited by Selahgal; 09-18-2013 at 07:05 AM..
Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member
 
AnnetteW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 636
Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
I mixed the xylitol with the Splenda I had and then thought ... why not mix those two with some erythrital ... and when reaching for the splenda/xylitol blend this morning [haven't bought any erythrital yet] I saw my container of raw sugar blends and thought, why can't I mix them in as well? It would cut down the amount of raw sugar and at least I'd get some minerals and real sugar in with the mix. Make myself a 'super sweetener blend'!

Just an FYI, here's my list section of raw sugars & carb counts:

Sugar, Demerara, 1 tsp, 4g
Sugar, Muscovado, 1 tsp, 4g
Sugar, Sucanat, 1 tsp, 4g
Sugar, Turbinado, 1 tsp, 3g

Yes, I am always TWEAKING!
Uh oh.....why would you be eating raw sugar???

Sugar is sugar, you don't really want to eat that do you???

Okay, obviously you can eat what you want, but it's kinda on the "no no" list.

Just had to give you a little tough love. Now, perhaps I missed it, but what is your reason for the raw sugar?
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!
 
Selahgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,124
Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Uh oh.....why would you be eating raw sugar???

Sugar is sugar, you don't really want to eat that do you???

Okay, obviously you can eat what you want, but it's kinda on the "no no" list.

Just had to give you a little tough love. Now, perhaps I missed it, but what is your reason for the raw sugar?
I used raw sugar before I began NK so I still have plenty of it. I just thought blending some of it with the xylitol, erythrital and splenda would lessen the impact of all of them.
Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member
 
AnnetteW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 636
Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
I used raw sugar before I began NK so I still have plenty of it. I just thought blending some of it with the xylitol, erythrital and splenda would lessen the impact of all of them.
Well......yea.......it might lessen the impact.

But would you do that with regular white sugar (sugar is sugar)?

If you don't want to throw it away, just wrap it all up nicely in a big ziplock bag and hide it away for now.

Don't eat it, you don't need it, it's not good for you...it's sugar, and you are eating a low carb diet now and not eating sugar.

Expensive stuff like that definitely makes me feel guilty too.

Just use your artificial sweetener blend for now, work on perfecting it, and using it less and less too. We want to do this right, and not be dependent on the evil white stuff (aka sugar, no matter the shade),
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.