Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
At 5'6". Dr. Jan Kwasniewski, author of The Optimal Diet, would say that you should be eating between 61 and 74 grams of protein per day.

And this from Drs. Phinney and Volek: 0.7 to 0.9 grams of protein per pound of ideal body weight. So if your goal weight is 150 pounds, you should eat between 105 and 135 grams of protein daily.

For myself, I found that eating in that higher range that Phinney and Volek recommend did not work for me for weight loss or staying in a ketogenic range, and caused higher blood sugar than I would like.

So I chose Dr. Kwasniewski's formula. It works for me.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
At 5'6". Dr. Jan Kwasniewski, author of The Optimal Diet, would say that you should be eating between 61 and 74 grams of protein per day.

And this from Drs. Phinney and Volek: 0.7 to 0.9 grams of protein per pound of ideal body weight. So if your goal weight is 150 pounds, you should eat between 105 and 135 grams of protein daily.

For myself, I found that eating in that higher range that Phinney and Volek recommend did not work for me for weight loss or staying in a ketogenic range, and caused higher blood sugar than I would like.

So I chose Dr. Kwasniewski's formula. It works for me.

Thank you Rebecca, I had a protein shake today to try to raise the level a bit and we will see where the day ends. So far today I am at 32, which is higher or at my total for the day... so maybe I can work it up a bit more! I dont want the weight loss to stop though or the ketones to drop... as they are working in my favor right now!
catjrow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Thank you Rebecca, I had a protein shake today to try to raise the level a bit and we will see where the day ends. So far today I am at 32, which is higher or at my total for the day... so maybe I can work it up a bit more! I dont want the weight loss to stop though or the ketones to drop... as they are working in my favor right now!
You've got some crazy ketones going there lately. Wowza!!!

~~~~~~~~~~
Just puttering along for the day, trying to NOT eat too much. Even though I'm not necessarily hungry, I do get bored and want to eat.

I made a really nice BPC this afternoon, just one large mug's worth with regular coffee (I tend to just drink decaf), about 1+ T of HWC, maybe 1.5 t of MCT oil and 1 t of butter, oh and 2 T of Almond Roca Toranis. I didn't measure, just poured it all it.

Yummy yummy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've also decided to purchase a new glucometer, did a little research and chose the Freestyle lite and bought 100 strips. I will use it for my daily fasting blood glucose, and continue to use the cheaper Relion ones for later in the day when I'm not as concerned about consistency. Watch them be exactly the same...ugh.

They definitely cost more than the cheapy Relion ones from Walmart, plus I have some odds and ends I can use up. I have a drawer full of meters. I should probably trash a few.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Whoop whoop, body finally released that water it was holding on to (from dinner last Friday....eek) and I'm at a new low, just a smidge lower than my low last week.

I absolutely LOVE new lows....they mean the scale is actually moving.

Still got ketones at 1.3, I've been very consistent at 1.1 to 1.4 this past week, wish it would go higher, but too much restriction is difficult.

I'm home from work today, might be a bit chatty.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

YAY! New low!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #66
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stawalke
Stats: 240/221/135
WOE: NK
Start Date: August 2013
Congrats on the weight loss!!!

I myself cannot report the same. This has been a bad week for me. Last week I did so well. Tuesday was an emotional day and that night I just blew everything. Ordered my dinner through a drive through with a chocolate shake to boot! I still feel sick and am having tummy issues. And the scale is up four pounds. I know for the most part it's water weight and will come off but I am still so mad at myself. I feel like I am starting over. I have to get back into ketosis. I did get right back into NK eating yesterday and that is what I am going to focus on the rest of this week. I have decided to not check my weight or check for ketosis until Monday. Hopefully by then I will be back on track! I think checking before then will just depress me if I don't get the results I want.

On a positive note I did get my low carb books by Phinney and Volek in the mail yesterday, so I plan on reading those!

Hope everyone is doing well!!
stawalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
YAY! New low!
Thanks...now to keep it up (took 6 days)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stawalke View Post
Congrats on the weight loss!!!

I myself cannot report the same. This has been a bad week for me. Last week I did so well. Tuesday was an emotional day and that night I just blew everything. Ordered my dinner through a drive through with a chocolate shake to boot! I still feel sick and am having tummy issues. And the scale is up four pounds. I know for the most part it's water weight and will come off but I am still so mad at myself. I feel like I am starting over. I have to get back into ketosis. I did get right back into NK eating yesterday and that is what I am going to focus on the rest of this week. I have decided to not check my weight or check for ketosis until Monday. Hopefully by then I will be back on track! I think checking before then will just depress me if I don't get the results I want.

On a positive note I did get my low carb books by Phinney and Volek in the mail yesterday, so I plan on reading those!

Hope everyone is doing well!!
You'll find those new books very motivating. Start with "A&S of Low Carb Living." It's a great book.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Great news, Annette!

I also love new lows. I have been going through my new lows with memories, "the last time I was at this weight..."

168 will put me back a decade, and I'm really excited to get there and then lower and lower.

I'm really excited about this chicken broth with CO or olive oil. Today I'm drinking my chicken broth and olive oil lunch and it really fills me up.

What's everyone eating today?

PS: Stawalke, great idea not to check until Monday. I'm sure your efforts will be well rewarded by then. Good luck, and keep us posted!

P L A N, for Success!

Nothing is impossible, the word tells you itself:

I'm possible.
April04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #69
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stawalke
Stats: 240/221/135
WOE: NK
Start Date: August 2013
Quote:
I'm really excited about this chicken broth with CO or olive oil. Today I'm drinking my chicken broth and olive oil lunch and it really fills me up.
I was just thinking today about chicken broth with butter! I will try with CO too. Do you have to blend it when you make it with the CO?
stawalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Butter sounds perfect, too!

I just measure the tablespoon and drop it in. When I drink it in a mug I get a bit with each sip. I'm looking forward to using this as the weather gets colder, it's a great treat. I also add salt.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DebbyCDA
Stats: 255/246/140
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: Aug2013
WOW!! Great job, ladies!

Did pretty good myself this week. So at less than three weeks on NK, I'm down 6 lbs. Sounds good to me!

...but I see a little hiccup on the horizon this weekend - - my birthday. My best friend will probably take me out sometime Saturday, and there's a shopping trip with my mom and dd on Sunday after church. I foresee a wee too many carbs in my future. I am determined to not go wild, but I don't know the specifics of what'll happen, so we'll see come Monday mornin's ketostick.

Hope everyone has an AWESOME weekend! HUGS!

Debby
DebbyCDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
Butter sounds perfect, too!

I just measure the tablespoon and drop it in. When I drink it in a mug I get a bit with each sip. I'm looking forward to using this as the weather gets colder, it's a great treat. I also add salt.
I use my immersion blender to blend butter into broth. That way, the butter gets mixed in and stays mixed.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
Great news, Annette!

I also love new lows. I have been going through my new lows with memories, "the last time I was at this weight..."

168 will put me back a decade, and I'm really excited to get there and then lower and lower.

That is so my experience too, April. I am just about back to where I was 10 years ago. But this time I will keep going lower.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Me too, Bella!

For a decade I was at war with my body, I had low self esteem because of my weight, and I was unable to do anything about it, no matter how hard I tried. Shedding that decade of damage from my body physically has been so healing for me physically, mentally and emotionally. It feels really good to be me

I don't feel the desperation that I have had on diets to work so hard at eating less, and depriving myself. I feel confident that I can continue to lose for as long as I'd like and then maintain once I am at a comfortable weight. It's so freeing not being a slave to cravings, etc. All I really needed was fat, who knew!?

Rebecca, thanks for the tip with the immersion blender, I never even thought to do that
Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Rebecca, thanks for the tip with the immersion blender, I never even thought to do that
Old 09-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
WOE: Healthy LCHF
Start Date: 8/1/14
Quote:
Hi ladies!
In the five months that I've been NK the only off plan food I've had was sugar free candy, which knocked me out of ketosis, and sent my blood sugar over 100 (a first during my NK experience). So no more SF candy for me!

Not sure how many of you test urine ketones (I know they have a bad reputation on these boards). But, They have always been accurate for me. Anyway...I always test High, with the dark maroon. But midsummer they started being pale pink, or small. I bought a new pack thinking they were expired. I tried drinking less water to see if it was my hydration, but still pale pink. Could this be because I'm five months keto-adapted? Any one have any insight into this? My carbs are always less than 5, and are usually from an egg, or something like that. Thanks for any insight, and hope you all have a great weekend!
Hi Ann. Newbie here but experienced in low carb although it's been a few years. You keep your carbs less than 5? I'm having a dickens of a time staying under 20 carbs! You just eating meat & fat all the time or what? I've only gotten to 'small' ketone level on the stix so far but I'm only on Day 6. Would love to see maroon!

Do you have blood sugar issues? I'm just 'watching' my levels right now but I have noticed my fasting glucose is still between 110-125! Was hoping this plan would lower it. What has your experience been with blood glucose levels and this plan?

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done.
Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds all our understanding.
His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Hi Marci,

6 days under your belt, congratulations! I found the first week to be the hardest, so if you're anything like me the hardest part is behind you. In the beginning, I went to bed really early to combat "flu" symptoms and keep me from the kitchen.

As far as staying at 5 or below carbs, I eat a lot of eggs, meat and fat. I try to always have at least 1000 calories but often times as many as 1400 calories. On the days that I keep my fat high, I never feel hungry. If I have a lower fat intake then I hear my appetite roar. My favorite way to start the day is with 3 egg yolks cooked in Kerrygold butter, it gives me energy and is very satisfying.

Don't fret over the ketosticks. If you're in, you're in. At this point I can't get them maroon anymore, but I've read that's because I'm keto-adapted. So don't use that as your guide.

As far as BG, I did tent to be on the higher side, especially sometimes in the AM when I wake-up to 99, even after 162 days of NK 80/15/5. But, my PM fasting can be in the 70's and my PP numbers are usually in the 80's. I suspect I was close to be diagnosed type 2 before I started NK, but luckily I'm here making the changes my body needed. And you are too.

I imagine your fasting will come down as you go.

What does your day look like food wise? Specifically what is the source of your 20 g carb?
Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

I was quite hungry when I was leaving work, actually felt hypo. Couldn't wait to get home to test my blood sugar, which was 78 (on the meter I think runs a bit high). So even though that didn't feel good, at least my numbers are dropping back down.

I'm going to start adding a little fiber to my diet and just drank a glass of iced tea with acacia fiber (2t) and will increase it very very very very slowly as I'm not always happy with fiber.

I'm so glad it's the weekend.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi Marci,

6 days under your belt, congratulations! I found the first week to be the hardest, so if you're anything like me the hardest part is behind you. In the beginning, I went to bed really early to combat "flu" symptoms and keep me from the kitchen.

As far as staying at 5 or below carbs, I eat a lot of eggs, meat and fat. I try to always have at least 1000 calories but often times as many as 1400 calories. On the days that I keep my fat high, I never feel hungry. If I have a lower fat intake then I hear my appetite roar. My favorite way to start the day is with 3 egg yolks cooked in Kerrygold butter, it gives me energy and is very satisfying.

Don't fret over the ketosticks. If you're in, you're in. At this point I can't get them maroon anymore, but I've read that's because I'm keto-adapted. So don't use that as your guide.

As far as BG, I did tent to be on the higher side, especially sometimes in the AM when I wake-up to 99, even after 162 days of NK 80/15/5. But, my PM fasting can be in the 70's and my PP numbers are usually in the 80's. I suspect I was close to be diagnosed type 2 before I started NK, but luckily I'm here making the changes my body needed. And you are too.

I imagine your fasting will come down as you go.

What does your day look like food wise? Specifically what is the source of your 20 g carb?
Right now I'm making all the low carb recipes I had from before ... and adding fat like butter, coconut oil, coconut creme, cream, etc. as I can. Trying to work in a few veggie recipes made with eggs, cream, cream cheese, butter, etc. Lots of oopies in various flavors and seasonings! Plenty of eggs ... scrambed, fried, omelets, deviled, boiled, etc.; chicken, turkey, hamburger ... steaks/roasts if I can get them marinated enough to make them easy to digest. Thinking I should try some sauces?

Started making more smoothies with whey protein [a brand made with stevia] to which I can add mct oil, butter, cream cheese, etc. Easy to drink my calories. Tummy gets hungry but appetite seems stalled. Weird huh. Have some digestive issues too so I have to be careful I eat easily digested stuff more often, lest I grab for the digestive enzymes again!

I haven't had a bg level below 100 since I began watching it a few years ago. Not really even sure what normal is, but I believe it's UNDER 100?

Last edited by Selahgal; 09-13-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Old 09-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

It seems you like to flavor and keep it interesting as far as your meal plan goes. I know we all need to do what works best for us, and I'm more of a keep it simple person. My shopping list consists of ground beef, chicken, coconut oil, olive oil, butter, eggs, chicken bullion, and sometimes a little sour cream. Plus, of course, salt, pepper and dill.

I also don't do well with artificial sweetners, are they ok for you? Do you think they could be effecting your BG?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It seems you like to flavor and keep it interesting as far as your meal plan goes. I know we all need to do what works best for us, and I'm more of a keep it simple person. My shopping list consists of ground beef, chicken, coconut oil, olive oil, butter, eggs, chicken bullion, and sometimes a little sour cream. Plus, of course, salt, pepper and dill.

I also don't do well with artificial sweetners, are they ok for you? Do you think they could be effecting your BG?
Well, stevia is a plant so its natural. I also use xylitol and splenda in a pinch. I haven't noticed any problems, but I could be not seeing it.

By simple do you mean you eat the same meals over and over? I think if I could find say, 20 meals/dishes, I could be happy with that. I don't like to cook either which means the easier it is to make the better I like it! lol

Last edited by Selahgal; 09-13-2013 at 12:15 PM..
Old 09-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

I just meant in regard to your concern with high fasting BG levels, do you think the artificial sweeteners could be keeping your BG levels high?

I agree that stevia is a good choice for an artificial sweetener if you need one, as it, like sugar cane, is a plant.

Speaking of Xylitol, out local market just got the xylitol gum that's good for dental health, I'm planning to try it soon. Anyone have any experience with it?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just meant in regard to your concern with high fasting BG levels, do you think the artificial sweeteners could be keeping your BG levels high?

I agree that stevia is a good choice for an artificial sweetener if you need one, as it, like sugar cane, is a plant.

Speaking of Xylitol, out local market just got the xylitol gum that's good for dental health, I'm planning to try it soon. Anyone have any experience with it?
Ah ok, I understand. Well, my bg has been between 120-160 before I began this plan and I was eating well 85% of the time, but having simple carbs and sugar too. Guess time will tell.

I have had xylitol gum and it tasted good but the flavor fades pretty fast. Still nice treat when you need it and as you say, good for teeth!
Old 09-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
Ah ok, I understand. Well, my bg has been between 120-160 before I began this plan and I was eating well 85% of the time, but having simple carbs and sugar too. Guess time will tell.

I have had xylitol gum and it tasted good but the flavor fades pretty fast. Still nice treat when you need it and as you say, good for teeth!
Just keep testing the blood glucose levels, they will probably continue to drop over the next few weeks. We can't expect perfection in a week (well, we can always hope.)

Mine FBG was running over 125 (136) , when I went back on low carb, which means diabetic. I had to have an assessment for health insurance done, and I ate virtually no carbs for 2 weeks to get that number down in the 90's (passed, btw.)

It went slowly into the 80's on occasion and I saw some 70's. I've never seen 70's before.

BTW, my doctor has never said I was diabetic, but I know what my numbers mean.

This past week I ate one meal off and only now, 6 days later are my numbers dropping again.

Use those blood glucose numbers as a motivator when the scale doesn't want to move. That's what I keep doing. It's more important in the long run, plus they are all connected.

Artificial sweetner....I do not think it affects my blood glucose. I use liquid saccharin in my sweet tea, and occasionally some splenda/erythitol mixed together in place of sugar (on my flaxseed pancake). I use stevia occasionally. I do not use xylitol, though I do chew gum with it.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I agree that stevia is a good choice for an artificial sweetener if you need one, as it, like sugar cane, is a plant
Stevia is a non-sugar sweetener, but it is not an artificial sweetener. It is a natural sweetener.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the clarification, Rebecca!

And Marci, Rebecca and Annette have MUcH more experience than I do. So you are in good hands with them. I'm still trying to master this whole thing, but am really enjoying it thanks to the helpful people on these boards. You're definatly on the right track!

Hope you all have a great weekend!
Old 09-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification, Rebecca!

And Marci, Rebecca and Annette have MUcH more experience than I do. So you are in good hands with them. I'm still trying to master this whole thing, but am really enjoying it thanks to the helpful people on these boards. You're definatly on the right track!

Hope you all have a great weekend!
I don't think we really have any experience. To be honest, we are all stumbling our way through this, trying to understand what our numbers mean. Also, we are trying to learn what the numbers mean as FEMALES, who may be in perimenopause or menopause.

This is an area there just aren't many studies done on.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
I was thinking or ordering Liquid EzSweetz to use instead of splenda.
I have liquid stevia but I don't love it.
Anyone use EZ?
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Also, we are trying to learn what the numbers mean as FEMALES, who may be in perimenopause or menopause.
Ain't THAT the truth!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennafun View Post
I was thinking or ordering Liquid EzSweetz to use instead of splenda. I have liquid stevia but I don't love it. Anyone use EZ?
I did buy EZSweetz for a long time, and I love using it. The flavor is good, and I hate having to waste carbs on the padding in splenda packets. It's a quick and easy way to add sweetness to recipes, too.

What I don't love is the price - it is pretty expensive. After following some other threads on SF sweeteners, I discovered you can buy sucralose without the fillers. I found it online at Amazon - it comes in a foil packet, and you use a very small amount because it is so intensely sweet. I make 1 TB of liquid splenda by diluting 1/2 tsp. of sucralose in 1 TB water. I paid around $15 for 50 grams of it this time last year, and I haven't used more than 1/4 of the package in that amount of time.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote