Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
So this morning I decided after 2 days of being in ketosis (urine strips) that I would test my blood sugar at least after 3 full days on target with my eating and my blood sugar was a nice low 74 (very good for me) and then I was so encouraged, I thought even though its only been 3 full days on NK I would go ahead and test my blood ketones, and it was 2.4 (highest ever number for me) so it looks like I might be in the groove! will test again tomorrow to see where I am... going to stay on track today and keep moving with it. Keeping the calories more down for me, around 1100-1300 and yesterday was 81% fat 124 gm/13% protein 46 gm and 6% carbs 20 grams (15 net)...
catjrow3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
So this morning I decided after 2 days of being in ketosis (urine strips) that I would test my blood sugar at least after 3 full days on target with my eating and my blood sugar was a nice low 74 (very good for me) and then I was so encouraged, I thought even though its only been 3 full days on NK I would go ahead and test my blood ketones, and it was 2.4 (highest ever number for me) so it looks like I might be in the groove! will test again tomorrow to see where I am... going to stay on track today and keep moving with it. Keeping the calories more down for me, around 1100-1300 and yesterday was 81% fat 124 gm/13% protein 46 gm and 6% carbs 20 grams (15 net)...
Great news! Glad it was a smooth transition back in!

I was trying to be so smart today and made mini meatloaves in a cupcake tin. Well, I was really excited while they were cooking and I was getting some laundry done and they smelled delicious, too! But when I finally got around to opening the oven I found that they were overflowing onto the bottom of the oven. I had filled each tin to the top, which had the juices pouring out all over the oven. Guess what I'm doing instead of relaxing tonight? That's right...cleaning the oven. Clearly a rookie mistake.

P L A N, for Success!

Nothing is impossible, the word tells you itself:

I'm possible.
April04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
Great news! Glad it was a smooth transition back in!

I was trying to be so smart today and made mini meatloaves in a cupcake tin. Well, I was really excited while they were cooking and I was getting some laundry done and they smelled delicious, too! But when I finally got around to opening the oven I found that they were overflowing onto the bottom of the oven. I had filled each tin to the top, which had the juices pouring out all over the oven. Guess what I'm doing instead of relaxing tonight? That's right...cleaning the oven. Clearly a rookie mistake.
Oh no fun! Do you not have a self cleaning oven?? That would make life easier for sure!! Other than detoxing, it has been a rather smooth transition back in... thank goodness!

Not a huge fan of meatloaf, but what did you put in it?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

No self cleaning I wish!

Meatloaf Cupcakes
2 lbs grass fed beef
4 eggs
Mustard
2 Tbsp ketchup (no sugar)
Garlic salt/ salt/pepper

They're perfect little meals that I can grab for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

I'm about to cheat. I know I shouldn't but I'm just so tired and worn down from a busy weekend. I'm feeling that feeling of needing to "do something for me". Which use to consist of a bag of Hershey kisses, or something like that. I just heated a Tablespoon of peanut butter and added a tablespoon of Hershey's chocolate syrup. I shouldn't eat it, It would not be good for me, but I want it.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
I'm about to cheat. I know I shouldn't but I'm just so tired and worn down from a busy weekend. I'm feeling that feeling of needing to "do something for me". Which used to consist of a bag of Hershey kisses, or something like that. I just heated a Tablespoon of peanut butter and added a tablespoon of Hershey's chocolate syrup. I shouldn't eat it, It would not be good for me, but I want it.
Looks like a pretty safe cheat...as long as you limit it to 1 TB of each! In my experience, sometimes it's better to have a little something off plan than eat half the kitchen trying to stay on plan.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the support, Kate! I agree about doing it, rather then sanatorium myself. So, I did it. And checked my BG and it's at 95, so I don't think I did too much damage.

Here are my stats for the day:

Daily Totals
Calories
Fat 43 g
Carbs 19.9 g
Protein 102.8 g
Water 48 fl oz
Daily Calorie Composition: 9% from carbs, 44% from fat and 47% from protein.

It was an off day. Too much protein, not enough calories. But, my appetite has been huge this week, very different for me. Hopefully that subsides so I can return to the normal joy of NK without any cravings.

Breaking Bad is on, so I'm off to watch, and get some sleep.

Good night!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I always test High, with the dark maroon. But midsummer they started being pale pink, or small. I bought a new pack thinking they were expired. I tried drinking less water to see if it was my hydration, but still pale pink. Could this be because I'm five months keto-adapted?
From the blog ketopia I've learned that eventually the ketostix stop being accurate because they react to the acetoacetate ketone body only. After a few weeks into your low carb ketogenic diet, your body switches from dumping the acetoacetate in your blood and processes it into beta-hydroxybutryrate, and it is used by your muscles as a fuel. As a result, you see a change in your ketone levels as measured by ketostix. This is completely normal and does not mean you are having trouble with your diet. It doesn’t even suggest that you aren’t in ketosis anymore, because it can’t. Ketosticks are unable to measure the type of ketone that constitutes the majority present in your blood and urine at this point.

So ketostix are great for initial ketosis, but in the long run you'll only be able to track your keto levels with blood testing. If you're like me, and you don't have the money to be buying the strips all the time, you buy a few boxes and run some trials to get an idea of what foods will throw you out of ketosis, and then stay away from them. If a problem comes up, buy another box and do some more trials.

Last edited by MerryKate; 09-08-2013 at 07:57 PM..
Old 09-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
No self cleaning I wish!

Meatloaf Cupcakes
2 lbs grass fed beef
4 eggs
Mustard
2 Tbsp ketchup (no sugar)
Garlic salt/ salt/pepper

They're perfect little meals that I can grab for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

I'm about to cheat. I know I shouldn't but I'm just so tired and worn down from a busy weekend. I'm feeling that feeling of needing to "do something for me". Which use to consist of a bag of Hershey kisses, or something like that. I just heated a Tablespoon of peanut butter and added a tablespoon of Hershey's chocolate syrup. I shouldn't eat it, It would not be good for me, but I want it.
Boo for no self cleaning, old fashioned way then it is.... I think that would earn you the cheat, and the cheat sounded so good! Love peanut butter and chocolate!! I agree with Kate, sometimes you just need a small cheat to avoid a big one!!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Girls! Waking to a new day, and not feeling as bad about the cheat from your support.

Kate, Thank you for the info from Ketopia. After reading here, I went on that site. I feel much better knowing that. As for the strips, I haven't gotten them because of the expense. However, my carbs have only rarely been above 5 g, total. So, I think it's safe to say I am in ketosis. Once I reach goal and am trying to adapt to NK in maintenance, I will probably need to invest in the strips.

As for the PA & chocolate, I should probably throw the chocolate syrup away so I'm not tempted to do that again. It was delicious!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/176/135 (5'5", 51 yrs)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: Nov 4, 2014 @ high weight
April, only invest in the strips if you feel you need to. It's just another number to strive for, and an expensive one at that. I'm wondering if it really matters in the long run. Really it doesn't. Where it helps is for someone who just really need to know, or is a bit obsessive (guess a bunch of us here are that.)

At the same time, it's a good learning experience, anything we can learn about our bodies is helpful. I wonder a lot about maintenance lately as I slowly get closer, and I've never been successful at that, and it's definitely time for that to change.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

My weight is still up (understandable) and blood ketones dropped a bit (down to 0.9) and blood sugar is still higher than I'm happy with (100). All from one moderate meal splurge, over 2 days later. I was good all weekend, ate well, no deprivation. I'm not feeling the desire to deprive, so I'm going to continue just doing what I've been doing. Maybe I'll consider this week a maintaining sort of week, just let my body have a little rest.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stawalke
Stats: 240/221/135
WOE: NK
Start Date: August 2013
Last week I steadily lost weight....small consistent amounts. I was very happy with that. Then when I went to weigh in on Sunday I was up two whole pounds!?!? I didn't eat anything I was supposed to on Saturday. I know weight can fluctuate but it was still a bit depressing. I wasn't expecting a gain, let alone two pounds. I am down one pound this morning but still in a funk. Oh well. I will just keep doing what I have been doing.
stawalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
My weight is still up (understandable) and blood ketones dropped a bit (down to 0.9) and blood sugar is still higher than I'm happy with (100). All from one moderate meal splurge, over 2 days later. I was good all weekend, ate well, no deprivation. I'm not feeling the desire to deprive, so I'm going to continue just doing what I've been doing. Maybe I'll consider this week a maintaining sort of week, just let my body have a little rest.
Annette, sad when your body messes with you like that isnt it? I hate that a small cheat has such ramifications. UGH! But as you said, maybe a "maintain" week and see what next week brings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stawalke View Post
Last week I steadily lost weight....small consistent amounts. I was very happy with that. Then when I went to weigh in on Sunday I was up two whole pounds!?!? I didn't eat anything I was supposed to on Saturday. I know weight can fluctuate but it was still a bit depressing. I wasn't expecting a gain, let alone two pounds. I am down one pound this morning but still in a funk. Oh well. I will just keep doing what I have been doing.
Boy do I know about funks. I let myself get in them all the time, and its only a damaging thing for me.... I am sure its just normal body fluctuations and in a few days it will be gone and you will be back on track with the small losses... Mine does it all the time too, even when on track. Mine is usually hormonally based... i.e... ovulation, I gain weight, or obviously, TOM, I gain weight, and so my body will be going up and down 2 weeks out of a month at least, just from hormones... booo!! Hang tough, you got this!!

So as for me, this morning, after 4 completed 100% NK days, blood sugar was 79 and my ketones were 1.6. Yesterday was 2.4, so not sure what the difference is from, but still in the zone, so I will take it. On to day 5... I have to do this in my head day to day right now to get in the groove and not wander off for other yummy things I should not have

Have a great NK day ladies!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

I've had a pretty good day today. I was hungry for something different this morning, so I had a piece of toast with the lowest-carb bread I could find. I love cinnamon toast and every now and then I have to have some...nothing I can make LC will take the place of real bread. I did keep my other carb intake down, so I was on track the rest of the day. I went for a bike ride later and wound up not being hungry. I was really surprised at my numbers when I logged my food... I kept wracking my brain, thinking I must have forgotten a meal somewhere. I finished off the day by making keto divinity (sort of like keto clouds, but with mascarpone instead of cream cheese) and a batch of SF Nutella.

My protein was on the low side for the past two days. I'm not a big meat eater, and I keep getting to a point where I couldn't eat another thing. On a night like tonight I'd like to be able to add 7-10 g of protein without adding a lot of calories or carbs. Any suggestions?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning girls, happy Tuesday!!

Still on a roll here. Feeling the "keto" lack of hunger... Yesterday I think I only consumed around 900-1000 calories and killed in exercise (probably more than I ate)... was down another 1.5 today... My numbers were amazing this morning.

I was all excited for 2.4 the other day, today my BK was 4.0 (WHAT???) I will take it... like the higher numbers even though it probably does not mean anything at all!! Had homemade bone broth twice yesterday with a little butter/HWC mixed in... yum. Today is only 59 outside this morning, actually chilly for a change and the broth would be really good today! I might even be able to wear some of my lovely boots today! (love bootS!!!!) have about 20 pairs... no its not an addiction... haha (probably is)...

HOw is every one else doing??

MerryKate, I love bread too, but just cant go there for me, slippery slope!!! I am also not a big meat eater... I could happily live on yogurt I think (although too many carbs so cut it out again for now..) For adding some protein, its all 4 calories a gram, so no worries, I would add something like maybe a turkey or ham rollup? or a couple slices of bacon would give some protein to the mix... more fat too... thats all my brain can come up with this early! LOL

Okay, check in girls!!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Still on a roll here. Feeling the "keto" lack of hunger... Yesterday I think I only consumed around 900-1000 calories and killed in exercise (probably more than I ate)... was down another 1.5 today... My numbers were amazing this morning.

Love it! I would be happy with those numbers too! So glad you're in such good way with the weightloss, ketones high and lots of exercise And, love that you can start wearing boots!

Kate: getting protein up maybe with an egg? I have the opposite problem with finding that I have to lower protein and trying to get my fat up, so I'm not much help with that, sorry.

My week is going well. I'm reintroducing coconut oil, order to get my fat up and help me with the satiety. And so far it's been going well. It gives me much better appetite control. I've had steady losses for September, which is always good news for me

Enjoy the day
Old 09-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Kate: getting protein up maybe with an egg? I have the opposite problem with finding that I have to lower protein and trying to get my fat up, so I'm not much help with that, sorry.

My week is going well. I'm reintroducing coconut oil, order to get my fat up and help me with the satiety. And so far it's been going well. It gives me much better appetite control. I've had steady losses for September, which is always good news for me

Enjoy the day
April, the egg is a great idea... I knew it was too early to think yet... Love it!!

Good job on the coconut oil, I have a hard time just adding oil to stuff...blech!! I dont eat too much protein either, but I could rack up the carbs if allowed (sigh)
Old 09-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Just checking in here too. All's fine....nothing too exciting.

A 4 on the blood ketone meter, wowza, how did you do that? Inquiring minds want to know. My high was a 3.3, they sometimes seem so random. I still can't make heads and tails from half of this stuff.

I will eat coconut oil, but honestly, I'm not that crazy about it. I like butter with my eggs, cream with my coffee, and I'm totally obsessed with my homemade mayo with ExtraLightOliveOil. I do use MCT oil in my salad dressing, 1/2 MCT, half EVO. It works for me. I should use a bit more CO as I don't think I'll purchase more MCT oil.

I wish the weather would cool down here a bit, but no, it's 100 degrees today, and it makes me tired. We're going dancing tonight, that is always fun.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Just checking in here too. All's fine....nothing too exciting.

A 4 on the blood ketone meter, wowza, how did you do that? Inquiring minds want to know. My high was a 3.3, they sometimes seem so random. I still can't make heads and tails from half of this stuff.
I wish the weather would cool down here a bit, but no, it's 100 degrees today, and it makes me tired. We're going dancing tonight, that is always fun.
annette,no idea how.... I have been eating only bone broth, eggs, bacon, HWC, butter, PB mush (HWC/PB/CC) and sometimes hamburgers 80/20 with cheese... no yogurt, no salads, no veges. Nott adding in CO or MCT oil or anything like that...
Old 09-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

You girls are doing it clean, I like that and the ideas you threw out.

Today I had two cups of chicken broth each with a TBSP of coconut oil added. Surprisingly, it's been delicious. I stopped the CO when I stopped BPC with HWC because the dairy was not agreeing with my stomach. I just forgot to add the CO back in. So, now that I have a solid way to get it in, I think my hunger control and fat numbers should be higher.

Ok, running out. Hope it was a good day for all. And have fun dancing, Annette! (PS: It's 90 degrees here, a little hot for me!)
Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Good for you!
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Morning check in...

So amazed again I am by my morning blood ketones!! 5.9??? what?? Blood sugar is doing nicely too, 79, 75ish numbers every day... those are good for me too!

Stayed on task, a little low in protein still yesterday, 84% fat/11% protein/5% carbs...
Calories 1324
Fat 122
Protein 37
Carbs 15 total

Weight is still dropping nicely and the urine sticks are still deep purple (which is also a first for me) I was lucky before to get even trace or small... now they are in the large arena. Exercising alot too, hope the system continues well...

Kathy, where are you????
Old 09-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Stayed on task, a little low in protein still yesterday, 84% fat/11% protein/5% carbs...
Calories 1324
Fat 122
Protein 37
Carbs 15 total

Weight is still dropping nicely and the urine sticks are still deep purple (which is also a first for me) I was lucky before to get even trace or small... now they are in the large arena. Exercising alot too, hope the system continues well...
Are you tracking your body fat in any way? If you are not eating enough protein, you could be losing lean mass instead of fat. I'm just sayin'...

Old 09-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Are you tracking your body fat in any way? If you are not eating enough protein, you could be losing lean mass instead of fat. I'm just sayin'...

Yes, I should probably eat more protein, not tracking it right now, as I have tons of fat too, not a huge meat eater anyway, so I find it hard to get the numbers up. If I start eating protein, I tend to eat too much and then my numbers are way off... I like the 85/15/5 ratio.... just pretty sure the protein is too low... but I am okay with it now and I am working out like a fiend....
Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Keep in mind that it is the absolute value of the macronutrients that your body "reads" and uses, not the relationship of them to each other, as in ratios or percentages.

In other words, you could be eating only 500 calories per day of 85/15/5 and it would not be healthy. That percentage only makes sense if you are eating the right amount of protein.

As far as eating too much protein, your body does not need a whole bunch, but you definitely need more than 37 grams per day. Eating that little, even with a lot of body fat to lose, your body will start using your muscles and organs to get the protein it needs to run your body, and it will store body fat because it thinks you are starving.

If you would like to share your height, I could give you a number to shoot for. And once you know that number, just plan for it. Don't allow yourself to eat more than your daily allotment.

Anyway, that's what I do and it works for me. I am 5'3" and I am currently eating an average of 70g of protein per day.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Keep in mind that it is the absolute value of the macronutrients that your body "reads" and uses, not the relationship of them to each other, as in ratios or percentages.

In other words, you could be eating only 500 calories per day of 85/15/5 and it would not be healthy. That percentage only makes sense if you are eating the right amount of protein.

As far as eating too much protein, your body does not need a whole bunch, but you definitely need more than 37 grams per day. Eating that little, even with a lot of body fat to lose, your body will start using your muscles and organs to get the protein it needs to run your body, and it will store body fat because it thinks you are starving.

If you would like to share your height, I could give you a number to shoot for. And once you know that number, just plan for it. Don't allow yourself to eat more than your daily allotment.

Anyway, that's what I do and it works for me. I am 5'3" and I am currently eating an average of 70g of protein per day.
I am 5'6" (well, I think i am really 5'5.5" now...haha) but if I eat too much protein, I dont lose weight.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

What do you think the right amount of protein is for your body?

I gain weight with too much protein, too, but even if you ate 70-75g of protein per day, it would not be too much to preserve your muscle mass.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
What do you think the right amount of protein is for your body?

I gain weight with too much protein, too, but even if you ate 70-75g of protein per day, it would not be too much to preserve your muscle mass.
Not sure the exact numbers on the amount yet.. I have never eaten huge amounts of protein and if I did it was in protein shakes..
Old 09-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Would you like a suggestion?
Old 09-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Would you like a suggestion?
Sure..