Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Nova max ketone strips (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/811193-nova-max-ketone-strips.html)

spoiltmomof2 08-31-2013 06:51 PM

Nova max ketone strips

Sorry I'm new so I'm full of questions. I finally got blood ketone strips for my Nova meter yesterday. The first strip just said LO.

What does that mean? It didn't give me a number.

I tested again thinking the strip was bad and got .5

spoiltmomof2 08-31-2013 06:56 PM

Oh and I read several places that the Precision xtra strips are cheaper.

The only ones I have found are actually higher than the Nova strips. Have they gone up in price?

Ntombi 08-31-2013 08:15 PM

No, the nova max strips are cheaper, but as you can see, they are less precise.

When it says LO, it means the result is under 0.5. But you don't know if it's 0 or 0.4, which is why a lot of us prefer the precision xtra.

AnnetteW 09-01-2013 06:36 AM

Universal Drug Store. It's out of Canada.

It took just under 2 weeks for them to arrive, so order and sit back and relax. I had seen some people mention then calling first, but I never got a call. I don't know if Ntombi got called or not, she ordered from there too I believe.

I ordered 6 packages thinking I was going to test 60 days straight, and now I've realized I don't need to do that, and am down to 2x /week, may drop down to 1x in a bit. I doubt I'd order them again, or maybe have some on hand in case I'm slipping, and having carb creep.

spoiltmomof2 09-01-2013 07:08 AM

Thanks! I just ordered a 10 pack to start with. I will probably end up ordering more though.

Joe 09-01-2013 07:49 AM

One cautionary tale: I know a couple who bought strips from Canada and they did not work in their US-purchased meter. As a result they wound up buying another meter from Canada, which was much more expensive. The couple were both sharp, and weren't trying to sell me anything, so I believe them. I don't know if it's an issue with requiring separate codes for the strips (apparently they're transitioning away from that approach), and an older meter might run into problems or something else.

A small order might be a safer way to start. I just purchased 10 strips from the pharmacy, and if they work I'll place a larger order.

joe

AnnetteW 09-01-2013 09:29 AM

Joe, I hadn't heard that before. Good to know before making such a recommendation.

I had no trouble luckily.

One other thing I found out was that it's the same meter as the Relion Ultima from Walmart (though the Ultima doesn't measure Ketones.) I had a bunch of glucose strips for my Ultima, but the meter would swing a lot. The strips work great in the the Precision Xtra, and consistent with my other glucometer, so I didn't waste a bunch of strips.

Hmmmm....I can't help but wonder if the ketone strips work.

I just knew as the packaging was exactly the same, the strips too.

~~~nope, just stuck one in and got an Error msg. Does make you wonder if that meter will eventually become available for cheap in the US.

Ntombi 09-01-2013 10:00 AM

I got my precision Xtra for free, and ordered my strips from Universal Drugstore in Canada. They worked flawlessly.

And yes, I got about 8 calls from them. :annoyed: I was not happy.