Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
Exercise question

I have to exercise daily because it elevates my mood and helps with my depression. It also keeps me busy, keeps me out of the kitchen and keeps my mind off food.

I ride a bike. I go 1 1/2 to 3 hours a day. Some days I burn as much as 1200 calories a ride.

Now, I found this article on Jimmy Moore's website on an interview with Dr Phinney.

Here are a few of the bullets that concerned me:

Resting metabolic rates DECREASED by doing exercise

Studies show 1-2 hours exercise daily reduces resting metabolism

It’s not the low-carb diet if you’re exercising too much

Now I think this interview was about weight stalls and these are some of his answers. My Internet is not capable of downloading the podcast so can of you tell me why exercise would be bad?
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: colamalu
Stats: 5'6" 188/182/135
WOE: NK
Start Date: NK Restart July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiltmomof2 View Post
I have to exercise daily because it elevates my mood and helps with my depression. It also keeps me busy, keeps me out of the kitchen and keeps my mind off food.

I ride a bike. I go 1 1/2 to 3 hours a day. Some days I burn as much as 1200 calories a ride.

Now, I found this article on Jimmy Moore's website on an interview with Dr Phinney.

Here are a few of the bullets that concerned me:

Resting metabolic rates DECREASED by doing exercise

Studies show 1-2 hours exercise daily reduces resting metabolism

It’s not the low-carb diet if you’re exercising too much

Now I think this interview was about weight stalls and these are some of his answers. My Internet is not capable of downloading the podcast so can of you tell me why exercise would be bad?
I know when I was exercising over one hour a day, I was a lazy mess the rest of the day. I didn't move around nearly as much, and I think I also ate way more calories than I burned. I was also really crabby. A 30 minute walk and light calisthenics is what seems to work best for me. And there is a study out there that agrees. For more weight loss, exercise less? - CNN.com
colamalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I think the consensus is that over an hour a day of exercise works against you if you are using it as a method of weight control. The basics behind it is because you train your body to become very efficient at burning calories and storing nutrients. This efficiency will eventually result in the opposite to what you are trying to achieve (mentioned above). It is possible to do it, but it requires a professional dietician working along side you to make sure you have the complimentary diet. If you are training for the olympics, then yes, you can surely exercise 2-3 hours a day if you have the right team of medical professionals working with you. But for the average person, it might very well cause difficulties in weight management.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
Also, wouldn't exercise help you burn more carbs?
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/216/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
You might enjoy the book The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance by Phinney and Voleck. There is so much more to it than the calories in calories out. Dr. Jack Kruse lost a ton of weight without ever exercising. I personally have been using his cold therapy techniques and I am not currently exercising because of an injury. I'm loving it because I'm not a big fan of exercise.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiltmomof2 View Post
Also, wouldn't exercise help you burn more carbs?
Of course, but the problem is that when you go to recover from exercise, your body will start looking to replace those "lost calories" and it will do what it takes to get them back just in case it is going to do another bout of 2-3 hours of exercise the next day. It will clear the blood of any glucose to create glycogen for the muscles. This leaves the brain starving. The brain goes "hey, I need fuel" then what do you do? I used to stand with the fridge door open, consuming whatever. I think some days I consumed close to 3000 calories which is double my daily requirement, even though my 2 hour bike ride only burned about 500cal that day. Those extra 1000 cal probably turned into fat somewhere. I remember when I started out I burned a lot more calories on my bike rides but before I read Phinney and Voleks book I was down to burning just over 200cal/hour. That is how efficient my body became at using its calories. Not to mention how much lean muscle I lost doing that. Now not only do I have to fix my metabolism, but I also have to try to recover my lean mass.

I just wish I hadn't been duped into believe that exercise was the key to weight management. But that is my negative experience with being an "over-exerciser." I know people who could never give it up, but I wanted a better quality of life, which meant less time exercising and more time with my family. Also I didn't want to be a slave to the refrigerator either. For me I had to make the change, there was no other option. Now if I go out for a bike ride, it is for fun or to run errands, and I try to keep in under an hour. I love biking.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: confusedtruffle
Stats: 165/TBA/125
WOE: VLC, Keto
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I remember when I started out I burned a lot more calories on my bike rides but before I read Phinney and Voleks book I was down to burning just over 200cal/hour. That is how efficient my body became at using its calories. Not to mention how much lean muscle I lost doing that. Now not only do I have to fix my metabolism, but I also have to try to recover my lean mass.

I just wish I hadn't been duped into believe that exercise was the key to weight management. But that is my negative experience with being an "over-exerciser."
Just wanted to personally thank you for posting this. I'm right in the middle of that realization, and am now purchasing Phinney and Volek's book. I've been overexercising for years and stalling in weight and muscle definition. I hope it's not because I've mutilated all that's left
confusedtruffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OurMrSmith
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Jan2013
I whole-heartedly agree - exercise is rubbish for weight loss.

I do long-distance cycling. A lot of it. This year, I have cycled 13,000km - including the London-Edinburgh-London randonnee (1450km in four days), with my partner (on a tandem).

We rode another 2000km of events between July and the end of September - and forsook our Keto-ways for that time and munched heartily upon the carbs. We've both put on a bunch of weight that we're now having to work at losing again.

Exercise is great, for loads of reasons, but weight-loss sure isn't one of them.
OurMrSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Punkin,

I read that a long time ago too, that extensive exercise really didn't help weight loss. Try telling that to my daughter. She loves cross fit (has a gym in her garage) but when I try and tell her she's working out too hard, it falls on deaf ears. Tried telling her she wasn't eating enough to work out so hard. Nada.

So, I quit. I love bike riding, as a good way to get some exercise, but mostly just enjoy it. There really is such a thing as too much exercise. Wanna raise your BMR? Lift weights...

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Good info from other posters. Here's a quote from The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek:

Quote:
Unfortunately, when heavy people exercise regularly, their resting metabolism slows -- this is not a typo! -- it SLOWS by 5 to 15% on average. Based on results of 4 tightly controlled human studies, instead of losing 10 pounds, the average person loses 7 pounds with this much exercise, and some people lose as little as 2 or 3 [130-133].
This was true for myself, when I tried exercising this summer my weight loss slowed by a lot. I am taking Phinney and Volek's advice and waiting on exercise until I am much closer to my goal weight.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I'm reading more and more that cardio will actually slow weight loss while strength/resistance training will help...assuming you don't overdo it and then go out and eat more.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliot
Stats: 132/117/110
WOE: NK - HFLC/Atkins Induction
Start Date: Aug 2013
Its kinda different for me. If I dont exercise, I dont lose weight or inches. Thats been my experience ever since I started this WOE.
Also on a day of intense exercise, I might be tired after my workout, but I am not really hungry till about a few hours after. I always do my workouts in the morning before breakfast. A run in the morning just absolutely lifts my day and I feel energetic.
I try to make it a point to have eggs/fat immediately after but even if I delay myself I'm ok. Not really ravenous to eat anything and everything. All this on a 1000-1200 calorie or even less sometimes as I tend to not eat till I'm really hungry.

A typical workout week for me, is an hour in total mixed up with cardio & a bit of resistance training. A long weekend run with the day before and the day after as complete rest or light cardio to get the soreness of the long run out of my system.
Has helped me so far. This last 2 weeks, as I am adapting into NK and didnt want to push it, I havn't been working out at all and my weight & inch loss has been absolutely 0.
Now I am waiting to get past TOM (and a lot of holidays this week), so that I can return to my previous schedule as I feel my energy levels returning.

Last edited by elliot; 10-14-2013 at 11:26 PM..
elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anjikun
Hi all,

I hope it's OK to piggyback on this thread, as my question is right along these lines.

I have issues with chronic fatigue and have had long periods of exhaustion caused by certain types of exercise (specifically weight lifting). However, not exercising at all makes me lethargic mentally and physically. Recently I decided to try light aerobic exercise in the pool. For the past few weeks I have been doing light swimming for about a half hour two days a week, and an Aquafit class for 50 minutes two days a week.

I really want to keep up this routine because I feel more alert mentally, but I also want to try NK again because of all the benefits that brings, including weight loss (I am about 20 pounds over weight). I'm not sure how to reconcile the two.

Does anyone know whether this level of aerobic exercise is compatible with weight loss on NK? I know everyone recommends weightlifting, but I am definitely not willing to go in that direction because I experienced such a major crash from that.

Also, I know about the Volek and Phinney book on low-carb performance, but I am hesitant to buy it because I got their other book (low-carb living) from the library and I found it way, way too technical. Does anyone know whether the performance book is less technical? Is the information it contains likely to be helpful to me in attempting to continue my aerobic exercise program while also doing NK?
Anjikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliot
Stats: 132/117/110
WOE: NK - HFLC/Atkins Induction
Start Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
I have issues with chronic fatigue and have had long periods of exhaustion caused by certain types of exercise (specifically weight lifting). However, not exercising at all makes me lethargic mentally and physically. Recently I decided to try light aerobic exercise in the pool. For the past few weeks I have been doing light swimming for about a half hour two days a week, and an Aquafit class for 50 minutes two days a week.
Hi Anjikun, first I would insist you definitely get the book The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. It is a bit technical too, but as I am now trying to read the Art and science of low carb living, I will admit that I found the performance book more interesting than the living book.
It also depend on what exactly you are looking for, in my case I needed to find answers to running efficiently on low carb.

The first 3-4 days on NK, I started off the morning with Morton Lite salt in about 50ml of water. Then normal water the rest of the day. Also additional chicken broth (home made as we dont get to buy it here) whenever I felt my energy levels dwindling. Now after almost 10 days I feel almost as good as before and I am now able to go a whole day without food if needed without fatigue or salt solution.
I now know when I feel hungry, I mean real hunger and I eat when I feel hunger.

As regards to your workouts, you will not be able to do the same intensity of workouts for a few weeks (4-8 depending) till your body completely adapts to NK. Try to bring down the intensity of your workouts and let your body tell you when its ready. That will help a lot to keep the fatigue away and your body is still adjusting to NK from carb. In my case I did not workout at all for almost 10-15 days except for 2 long walks which I just barely made through (8k & 10k). I now feel ready as 2 days ago I did a 13k (running every alternate 3 mins) and I was feeling really good even after the 13k.

So just ease your body into it, it will help a lot... and if possible read the book. There is some technical stuff there too but theres a chapter summary at the beginning of each chapter and that will help a lot and lots of examples too.
elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anjikun
Hi Elliot,

Thanks for the info about the book. I may try to get it, given that it's less technical than the other one. Unfortunately they don't have it in the library here.

I had been thinking two weeks as an adaptation period--I guess that may be too short. Today was my first day of under 50 grams carbohydrate. I did my regular aquafit workout and it was OK, but I know it's the next few days/weeks that will be toughest. Luckily working out in the pool (swimming or aquafit) lends itself to taking it easy if necessary.
Anjikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keo480
I'd try weight training or body weight exercises in addition to bike cardio. But I would only do 30-45 minutes of cardio. And the best way to get your metabolism rev'd up is to get your heart rate guessing. Doing 2 hours of biking at a heart rate of 140 isn't going to do much. You need to keep your body guessing. Sprint, then go up a hill, then slow it down. I personally am not weighing myself while I am trying to get the physique I want. I may end up losing a few pounds but the inches will be totally different if I muscle build. And I want to lose inches. The pounds will be what they are if I am building muscle in replacement of the fat I'd like to lose. But this is my opinion. Also, if you want to stay out of the kitchen, pick up a book or a game.
keo480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Subbing, thanks for all the information!

Personally, I walk the dog every day and do some health type bouncing on my rebounder daily, but that's to help rehabilitate my back. My heart rate certainly does not go up by much. I think I'll do HIIT twice a week once I'm at a point where I can start that again and maybe lift heavy once a week. I think overdoing it is what demotivates and derails me each time. That and the weightloss stalls...

- going to re-read my Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance book -
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keo480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Subbing, thanks for all the information!

Personally, I walk the dog every day and do some health type bouncing on my rebounder daily, but that's to help rehabilitate my back. My heart rate certainly does not go up by much. I think I'll do HIIT twice a week once I'm at a point where I can start that again and maybe lift heavy once a week. I think overdoing it is what demotivates and derails me each time. That and the weightloss stalls...

- going to re-read my Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance book -

HIT will get you into shape. I got an opportunity to do that for free from work and that is a no joke workout. I'd love to sub some of their stuff in my own workout routine. Very effective.
keo480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Has anyone tried the 30 day shred on keto?
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote