Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   New to NK (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/810821-new-nk.html)

stawalke 08-27-2013 10:42 AM

New to NK
 
Hello Everyone!

I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I have been eating relatively low carb for a while but not really tracking or taking it that seriously. I have been steadily gaining weight for a while now. I started working out with a personal trainer two years ago but still no major or consistent weight loss. I have PCOS and no thyroid. I also have some other medical conditions that make it difficult to lose weight. I have made the decision to get serious about my diet and take back control. I have done some research and decided the NK is the best bet for me. I have been eating NK for about 3 weeks and am doing ok. I understand this is a learning curve and I have a lot to learn! I am just here for the support. Thanks for reading and I look forward to getting to know people.

Cheers,
Stacey

AnnetteW 08-27-2013 12:27 PM

Hi Stacey, glad to see a new face.

There's always a learning curve, no matter what plan we try. What have you found to be working well for you, or not so well?

So what's up with the trainer situation? Do you feel the trainer is still helping you or has it just become too comfortable? I would want to have seen some major changes within 2 years. What kind of workouts are you doing with your trainer?

I used one for a few months a gazillion years ago and it was great to make me work harder, I am a very lazy exerciser. I always have it in the back of my mind that some day I might use a trainer again, but I'd like to be a goal first.

Join us in the monthly chit chat thread.

stawalke 08-27-2013 04:51 PM

I have found that organization has been key. I am only cooking for myself so finding ingredients that I can use for a few dishes is helpful. Also, making sure I always have something prepared to eat is helpful to prevent eating something I shouldn't. I live with other people who appear to be on all sugary carb diet! LOL.

The personal trainer has been a combo of not eating correctly and just being lazy. I might work out with the trainer and then not workout again until I see him again. I know when I have kept with it for an extended period of time I have seen results.

Right now I am trying to figure out what my carb allowance is. I am still losing very slowly.

MerryKate 08-27-2013 10:33 PM

Welcome to the NK world, Stacey! I think this will probably work well for you - PCOS seems to respond to low-carbing. Sticking to the plan closely over the long term really makes the difference. If you can keep your carbs to 20 net per day or less you'll probably have the best results. The other key point is to watch your protein level. A number of the women on the NK thread have found that the recommended protein results from the keto calculators online are too high for them to lose weight. If you're losing slowly, you might dial back your protein in 5 gram increments to see if that makes a difference. Just don't go too low! It's all a bit of a balancing act until you figure out what works for your body.

Be patient...it can take time to see a lot of weight loss. I've also been struggling with the slowdown that comes around week 3 (I restarted NK on August 5th). I've found the following essay about water weight and weight loss really encouraging over the years. Hope it helps you, too.

***********

WHY THE SCALES CAN LIE

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.

However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

PATTERNS OF WEIGHT LOSS

Common patterns of weight loss from tracking a lot of people who become assimilated into the low carb lifestyle, a pattern emerges.... the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported. This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this. OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each!

So... what gives? Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin anti-diuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occurring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite suppression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing.

From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging. Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself) is helpful. Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet. By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight (whichever is the lower number). So don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress. Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occurring.

We've been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can't resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just can't bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence it's readings. From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

Water makes up about 60% of total body mass. Normal fluctuations in the body's water content can send scale-watchers into a tailspin if they don't understand what's happening. Two factors influencing water retention are water consumption and salt intake. Strange as it sounds, the less water you drink, the more of it your body retains. If you are even slightly dehydrated your body will hang onto it's water supplies with a vengeance, possibly causing the number on the scale to inch upward. The solution is to drink plenty of water.

Excess salt (sodium) can also play a big role in water retention. A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. Generally, we should only eat between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium a day, so it's easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesn't have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts.

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it's not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it's likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in.

Generally, it's only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it's physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you're really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings us to the scale's sneakiest attribute. It doesn't just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn't necessarily mean that you've lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you've lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you're just sitting around. That's one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn't differentiate between the two. It can't tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat.

There are several other measuring techniques that can accomplish this, although they vary in convenience, accuracy, and cost. Skin-fold calipers pinch and measure fat folds at various locations on the body, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing involves exhaling all of the air from your lungs before being lowered into a tank of water, and bioelectrical impedance measures the degree to which your body fat impedes a mild electrical current.

If the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently zapped just doesn't appeal to you, don't worry. The best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don't be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride.

It's a matter of mind over scale."

stawalke 08-28-2013 05:29 PM

Thank you for the info. It is very helpful to remember those things. I am very guilty about weighing myself all the time and getting frustrated. I also know I don't drink enough water. How much water does everyone drink? I need to make an effort to drink more!

clackley 08-30-2013 05:48 AM

Welcome Stacy! Have you read either of the Phinney & Volek books (the art and science of low carbohydrate living / performance)? They are really a great resource for n.k..

I would be careful about exercising much while getting into the keto adapted state as it can be counterproductive. Once you are fully established in ketosis, then is a good time to use exercise.

I think there is a pretty big learning curve for those that are just starting out and not losing or even gaining a bit is not unusual. It takes some fine tuning. Your personal requirements of protein and carbs and then fat will be established by experimentation and I suggest not expecting results quickly as it can take some time and patience. Not always.... some get it right straight off.

Post often and don't hesitate to ask questions.

stawalke 08-30-2013 11:19 AM

Thank you Cathy. I will check out that book. I was also going to download the book Trick and Treat. I have seen that mentioned a few times. I think to start I am playing around with 20 carbs and day and 80 grams of protein with the rest of my calories coming from fat. I am trying to keep calories roughly between 1200-1500 but not stressing too much about those. I am not exercising too much right now. Just walking.

clackley 08-30-2013 03:09 PM

That sounds like an excellent plan!

Moss11 09-02-2013 12:12 AM

Hi Stawalke

Like you I am fairly new to NK. It really took me around 8-9 weeks before I stopped feeling tired:). Maybe because I was going off track now and then. I think as said previously upping the water intake is helpful. Also I am finding the need for a bit of extra magnesium as cramps were a problem. It is difficult to motivate ourselves in the exercise department, I am only starting to get more active now that energy levels are better. As you say preparation is key,much less chance of a slip up. I wish you well on your journey.

DebbyCDA 09-02-2013 04:10 AM

Hi Stacy! We're on this journey together! =} I'm new myself, but you've got two weeks on me. LOL There's a lot for us to learn, huh? We CAN do this!!

MerryKate - THANK YOU for that article! Great read!

Punkin 09-02-2013 04:15 AM

Welcome!

My only advice is to keep your head on your shoulders, and while you can consider what other people tell you, they can only recite what they have read or heard about and the facts we are exposed to have all been distorted. Here at LCF you will get feedback based on other people's experiences which is very helpful. It will help you probably find the right pathway for yourself.

AnnetteW 09-02-2013 06:36 AM

I started with Atkins induction, tried going up the rungs, did great with nuts/seeds, and then got lost in yogurt and cottage cheese. They made me want to eat more. So that's pretty much where I am today. I've loosened up a bit, but I eat pretty much that same way, add in the occasional legumes (very rare), occasional tortilla chips (out for Mexican) and slightly more than occasional alcoholic beverage.

It's working for me.

I like the Phinney/Volek books, read Trick and Treat recently, read all sorts of stuff online, listen to all of Jimmy Moores Podcasts, use my glucometer and ketone blood meter.

Probably stay anywhere from 15-40 gram of carbs. I never eat the same two days in a row.

RebeccaLatham 09-06-2013 05:50 AM

I started with Atkins in 2009. I have stayed low carb since then, but have gone through many versions of it.

I started NK in July 2012, it worked great, but when I reached my goal weight, I stopped tracking and tried to eat intuitively and gained back a bunch of weight.

I started tracking and measuring blood ketones again in May 2013 and I'm doing good again. I did zero carb for six weeks, but it was not a good fit for me, so I am eating vegetables again, but only a small amount.

Since August 11, 2013, I have been doing alternate day intermittent fasting, and that is working well for me. I am still in ketosis and my blood sugar is great.

I highly suggest (if you have any trouble losing or you are just curious) that you invest in a blood ketone meter and test strips to monitor your ketosis progress.

Have fun! I think it's a great, healthy way to eat!

TammyF711 09-18-2013 10:03 AM

Hi all!
 
I wanted to introduce myself. I'm so happy to have found this forum as I still have a lot to learn about this way of eating. I'm 46 years old and have been struggling to get the weight off I gained from quitting smoking and then 8 months of antibiotics as well as steroids thrown in there several times. I gained a total of 77 pounds. I was able to lose 24 pounds but it took me 9 months! That was through calorie counting and mildly exercising. I'm a very clean eater. We don't do processed food. I buy grass fed beef, pastured chicken and eggs from pastured chickens. I don't drink soda either. Most people that ate that way would lose weight. My body is different and I knew I HAD to do something out of the normal thinking. I've studied Paleo for some time but never took the jump to completely give up grains, legumes or root veggies. In studying Paleo I came upon the HFLC lifestyle. The more I read about it, the more it made sense to me. I am 9 days into and I'm LOVING it!!! I think it's possibly been easier for me than most because of the way I've been eating for quite sometime. Giving up processed food, artificial sweeteners and eating clean seems to make this transition somewhat easier than I anticipated. My body had already detoxed long before I started this way of eating, therefore I don't think I'm going through cravings that one might had they been eating the typical American diet.
My scale quit working about a week before I started eating this way so I have no idea what the scale would say right about now. I'm looking at that as a good thing because I would tend to let the scale determine my mood for the day. I've been measuring myself so I have that to go by. I can already tell in my face that I'm losing weight and it's only Day 9! My brother saw me last night and asked me if I had lost weight! It had only been a couple weeks since I've seen him. The benefit that I'm noticing the most though is the clarity in my thoughts. I was starting to get concerned because I felt like I was in a continual brain fog. If I do forget a thought I've noticed that I'm able to recall it very quickly. Whereas, before starting HFLC, I would walk in a room to get something, forget why I walked in the room and then end up doing something else. Does that sound familiar to anyone else?
Anyway, I look forward to gleaning as much info as I can from all of you. I know the support here is going to be priceless.
~Tammy

TammyF711 09-18-2013 10:07 AM

Haha! You can tell I'm a newbie. I think I just posted on someone else's introduction thread.
Oops. Maybe I'll just copy and paste my intro onto the right thread? Sorry.

clackley 09-18-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TammyF711 (Post 16609597)
Haha! You can tell I'm a newbie. I think I just posted on someone else's introduction thread.
Oops. Maybe I'll just copy and paste my intro onto the right thread? Sorry.

Welcome. :)

Jennafun 09-23-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryKate (Post 16577981)
Welcome to the NK world, Stacey! I think this will probably work well for you - PCOS seems to respond to low-carbing. Sticking to the plan closely over the long term really makes the difference. If you can keep your carbs to 20 net per day or less you'll probably have the best results. The other key point is to watch your protein level. A number of the women on the NK thread have found that the recommended protein results from the keto calculators online are too high for them to lose weight. If you're losing slowly, you might dial back your protein in 5 gram increments to see if that makes a difference. Just don't go too low! It's all a bit of a balancing act until you figure out what works for your body.

Be patient...it can take time to see a lot of weight loss. I've also been struggling with the slowdown that comes around week 3 (I restarted NK on August 5th). I've found the following essay about water weight and weight loss really encouraging over the years. Hope it helps you, too.

***********

WHY THE SCALES CAN LIE

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.

However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

PATTERNS OF WEIGHT LOSS

Common patterns of weight loss from tracking a lot of people who become assimilated into the low carb lifestyle, a pattern emerges.... the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported. This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this. OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each!

So... what gives? Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin anti-diuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occurring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite suppression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing.

From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging. Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself) is helpful. Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet. By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight (whichever is the lower number). So don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress. Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occurring.

We've been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can't resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just can't bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence it's readings. From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

Water makes up about 60% of total body mass. Normal fluctuations in the body's water content can send scale-watchers into a tailspin if they don't understand what's happening. Two factors influencing water retention are water consumption and salt intake. Strange as it sounds, the less water you drink, the more of it your body retains. If you are even slightly dehydrated your body will hang onto it's water supplies with a vengeance, possibly causing the number on the scale to inch upward. The solution is to drink plenty of water.

Excess salt (sodium) can also play a big role in water retention. A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. Generally, we should only eat between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium a day, so it's easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesn't have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts.

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it's not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it's likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in.

Generally, it's only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it's physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you're really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings us to the scale's sneakiest attribute. It doesn't just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn't necessarily mean that you've lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you've lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you're just sitting around. That's one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn't differentiate between the two. It can't tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat.

There are several other measuring techniques that can accomplish this, although they vary in convenience, accuracy, and cost. Skin-fold calipers pinch and measure fat folds at various locations on the body, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing involves exhaling all of the air from your lungs before being lowered into a tank of water, and bioelectrical impedance measures the degree to which your body fat impedes a mild electrical current.

If the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently zapped just doesn't appeal to you, don't worry. The best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don't be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride.

It's a matter of mind over scale."

Thank you for this information. I am discouraged today that the scale is continually going up not down. I was ready to throw in the towel and get some popcorn but this helped. Maybe I will try the fat fast. Been trying NK at Cals 2000/Fat 150-200/ Pro 70-85/ Carbs 50.

Jennafun 09-24-2013 07:25 AM

Down 2lbs today from meat/egg fast.

lovetoknit 09-24-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennafun (Post 16615847)
Thank you for this information. I am discouraged today that the scale is continually going up not down. I was ready to throw in the towel and get some popcorn but this helped. Maybe I will try the fat fast. Been trying NK at Cals 2000/Fat 150-200/ Pro 70-85/ Carbs 50.

If the scale is continually going up, you should make some adjustments to your diet. Try cutting down on protein and carbs, and eating more of your food in fat. If you are eating too much fat, that also could keep you from losing. Also limiting sweeteners can help as well. There really is a fine line between just enough of something and too much. That is why I weigh every day, so that I can keep track of how my food affects my body. For me, it is a science project. :) I don't let it bother me if my weight goes up one day, but if it continually goes up, I quickly make adjustments.
Carolyn

Jennafun 09-24-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoknit (Post 16617298)
If the scale is continually going up, you should make some adjustments to your diet. Try cutting down on protein and carbs, and eating more of your food in fat. If you are eating too much fat, that also could keep you from losing. Also limiting sweeteners can help as well. There really is a fine line between just enough of something and too much. That is why I weigh every day, so that I can keep track of how my food affects my body. For me, it is a science project. :) I don't let it bother me if my weight goes up one day, but if it continually goes up, I quickly make adjustments.
Carolyn

OK, good advice Carolyn... thank you. I have cut out nuts too as they seem to be a problem digestion wise.

lovetoknit 09-25-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennafun (Post 16617084)
Down 2lbs today from meat/egg fast.



:jumpjoy:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:24 AM.