Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
How many grams of carbs to reach NK?

I got the Art and Science of low carb living book.

In several places it references 50 grams of carbs or less a day.

Can you really reach a good level of ketosis with that or should you stay under 20?
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
It's very individual.

I started with Atkins Induction, so I used 20 net as a ceiling.
Now I do 35 total carbs and have no trouble staying in ketosis.
But there's some things, such as sorbitol and malitol/bars that I won't use. I also find that I need to space the carbs out throughout the day. You'll find your own limits and preferences. It would be nice if it was an exact number for everyone, but it isn't.

Steve Phinney (one of the art and science guys) says he stays between 25 and 50 total carbs. He eats LC veggies and berries.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Joe
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis / Zero Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiltmomof2 View Post

Can you really reach a good level of ketosis with that or should you stay under 20?
I would read the fewer than 50 grams of carbs as general guidelines for people in general. Some folks will get there with 50, but many will need to restrict further.

One item to keep in mind is that most folks who are trying for nutritional ketosis are a bit different than subjects in a study who are more of a random sample. Most of us are moderately broken metabolically, and haven't reached weight/fitness targets with low carbing. I suspect someone who stays slim and metabolically healthy on a SAD could get away with a higher carb total and remain in NK than many of us here. That's just a hunch though.

joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I stay below twenty carbs total, but I can eat twice that and still be in ketosis. At least, that used to be the case, back when I first did Atkins many moons ago. I'm comfortable with my levels now, so I have no need to test it.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
What is the fastest way to get into ketosis?

I normally just do induction and it takes me 3-3 1/2 days.
Can it be done faster than that?
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Some researchers and authors recommend fasting for a few days to get into ketosis quickly. It takes quite a bit of time for some people to reach the ketogenic state; to me, 3 1/2 days would be a miracle.

Last edited by lazy girl; 08-26-2013 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Hit "save" too soon.
lazy girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It is one thing to get into ketosis and another to be ketosis-adapted. You my take up,to 6 weeks to become the latter
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I find to get into ketosis, it is easier if I can go under 25g/day net. However once I am in I can push it up to 45g/day.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
It is one thing to get into ketosis and another to be ketosis-adapted. You my take up,to 6 weeks to become the latter
What's the difference? I thought the two terms were interchangeable.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Ketosis and being keto adapted are almost the same. The difference apparently is that being adapted means that the body has become good at being a fat burner and is no longer spilling ketones as much. I believe it also means that the body is using more of one of the 3 types of ketones than when initially getting into ketosis.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terrik
Stats: 147
WOE: Atkins Fat Fast
Start Date: August 2013
New to NK

There are three types of ketones? Please explain. I am new to this diet, and my ketone strips register between negative and trace. Am I in ketosis? I shoot for less than twenty carbs a day.

Also, what role do the sugar alcohols play? Do they interrupt ketosis? Or should I just count them as carbs? Thanks.
terrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Here is a link explaining ketones.

Ketone bodies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you just started low carb and are getting those readings on ketostix (urine), it is possible that you are in ketosis but more likely not.

Count sugar alcohols as at least half of their listed carb count. If you consume enough, they will most definitely interrupt ketosis.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Some of us deduct some portion of sugar alcohols, some of us count them fully. Some of us count some and not others. Sugar alcohols are something that impacts bodies differently.

I choose not to eat them 99% of the time, and when I do, I count them fully. Others choose differently.

It might be a good idea for you to read The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. It explains the science behind NK.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Things like fats can push you out of ketosis though right? My carbs are between 15 and 20 a day, every day. Most of those come from dairy ( cheese and cream). The only days I experience ketosis are the BPC days ( only BPC for breakfast, nothing till lunch, then lower fat, but protein till dinner, and increase fat at dinner and after). I'm also still nursing my youngest, and wonder if breast feeding has a protective mechanism of not getting into ketosis as easily as non nursing folk? My aim isn't to be in ketosis though, but I would think carbs at the level I have should produce a ketosis state?
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I should also add my loss is incredibly slooooooow. Drives me NUTS!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

No, fats can't kick you out of ketosis. Carbs certainly can. Excess protein can. Alcohol can. Fats cannot.

Again, if you're only using the ketostix, you're not getting an accurate look. They only test one type of ketone, and they can often give a false negative.

Now, you can be in ketosis and not lose weight. That's called maintenance. That's my plan, and several other people's reality.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

So how can you tell if you're in ketosis if the sticks don't give an accurate picture?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

There are physical signs of being in ketosis, but a lot of people use blood ketone meters, which are like blood glucose meters with a different strip. They use a finger stick, and measure the amount of ketones in your blood, which is the most accurate way to tell.

There are two meters available, both are free if you search around the Internet, but the strips aren't cheap. The more accurate of the meters (Precision Xtra) has strips that are about $2 each, and the least accurate meter (NovaMax) has slightly cheaper strips.

Some people never bother with either. Some of us use them every so often, and some people use them frequently. It's a personal choice.

If you know that you're a person who can get into ketosis and stay there without a lot of trouble, the strips may not be worth it for you. But really, I would read the book before deciding. Understanding the science of ketosis and why fat wouldn't be the macronutrients to knock you out of ketosis is important when you're making your food choices.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:30 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2bfitb440
Stats: 207/186.6/150
WOE: Started w Atkins/Now LC Fast5
Start Date: 07/15/2013/09/30/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymuma View Post
Things like fats can push you out of ketosis though right? My carbs are between 15 and 20 a day, every day. Most of those come from dairy ( cheese and cream). The only days I experience ketosis are the BPC days ( only BPC for breakfast, nothing till lunch, then lower fat, but protein till dinner, and increase fat at dinner and after). I'm also still nursing my youngest, and wonder if breast feeding has a protective mechanism of not getting into ketosis as easily as non nursing folk? My aim isn't to be in ketosis though, but I would think carbs at the level I have should produce a ketosis state?
Just a thought and I'm certainly no expert but when I do Atkins I burn fat at a faster rate than traditional dieting. It's my understanding that when your body burns fat there are lots of toxins that are stored in that fat and get released as you are burning that fat. I would worry about those toxins and the breast milk...
2bfitb440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #20
Chatty Cathy

I don't think it is 'toxins' that are released and that should not be a concern with breast feeding. The thing that may be released in stored fat are hormones but I doubt that would be of concern either in respect to breast feeding.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Now, you can be in ketosis and not lose weight. That's called maintenance.
Brilliant! I love the way you worded that. I'll remember that phrasing for the next time someone thinks that being in ketosis means you have to be losing weight.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just a thought and I'm certainly no expert but when I do Atkins I burn fat at a faster rate than traditional dieting. It's my understanding that when your body burns fat there are lots of toxins that are stored in that fat and get released as you are burning that fat. I would worry about those toxins and the breast milk...
Quote:
I don't think it is 'toxins' that are released and that should not be a concern with breast feeding. The thing that may be released in stored fat are hormones but I doubt that would be of concern either in respect to breast feeding.
Thanks both. I've read alot of the years, and I think it is best to avoid constant ketosis with low carbing, most plans seem to suggest nursing mothers have a higher level of carbs...and I assume it's to avoid ketosis. My nurser isn't a tiny baby, so it probably won't affect him, but anecdotally, a friend has a baby, a few mths old, and when she goes ketotic, he baby becomes VERY unsettled untill she ups her carbs enough to not be in ketosis...that is just one person though!

Wow Ntombi! I have never heard of those monitors before! How very cool! And it sounds good to have a more accurate way of measuring ketones that's for sure!
Old 09-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

luckymuma: Here is a little tip about using quotes in your comments:

Rather than copying them and then pasting them with a quote command, go to the comment you want to quote and click at the bottom of the comment that says "Quote". That way, the person's name will be included in the quote and it will be obvious who said what.

Last edited by RebeccaLatham; 09-11-2013 at 04:57 PM..
Old 09-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiltmomof2 View Post

I stay under 15 a day and usually under 10 grams. I think that it varies with each individual. Men usually can get away with more than women.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymuma View Post
I should also add my loss is incredibly slooooooow. Drives me NUTS!

Slow is better. That way your skin has time to shrink and you will not lose muscle. Any loss is a good loss. Right now I am losing about a half a pound a week. I am good with that. It will take me another year to lose my weight at that pace, but I am good with that. I am not hungry and I like how I am eating. Also I have gone down 2 sizes in pants. I am wearing a pair of pants that I could not wear before when I was 10 pounds lighter. So I am losing more inches which I like.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #26
Dix
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dix
My experience

My MD recommended I go on a nutritional ketosis diet. I started on July 10 with 20 grams carbs per day. A week later I was still not in ketosis, so I went back to the MD. My fasting glucose was 85 in Feb and 86 after being on the diet a week. I'm not diabetic nor on any medications except thyroid. He told me that he thought I had insulin resistance and to keep doing what I was doing.

On day 20 I reached ketosis and I have stayed in ketosis since July 30. However, I have lost no weight. So I purchased a blood glucose meter and ketone meter. Yes, I was in ketosis at 1.6, however my glucose was 127. Since that time my fasting glucose has been mostly between 110 and 116. This morning it was 96. Will my glucose keep coming down as I become ketosis adapted? And will the weight start to come off?
Dix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

You can be in ketosis without losing weight. That's what we do in maintenance. If you're sure you're not losing (the scale isn't always the best way to tell, you have to measure, or use clothes to tell if you're losing inches), you may have to drop your total calories.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dix View Post
My MD recommended I go on a nutritional ketosis diet. I started on July 10 with 20 grams carbs per day. A week later I was still not in ketosis, so I went back to the MD. My fasting glucose was 85 in Feb and 86 after being on the diet a week. I'm not diabetic nor on any medications except thyroid. He told me that he thought I had insulin resistance and to keep doing what I was doing.

On day 20 I reached ketosis and I have stayed in ketosis since July 30. However, I have lost no weight. So I purchased a blood glucose meter and ketone meter. Yes, I was in ketosis at 1.6, however my glucose was 127. Since that time my fasting glucose has been mostly between 110 and 116. This morning it was 96. Will my glucose keep coming down as I become ketosis adapted? And will the weight start to come off?
When I first started Nutritional Ketosis, I found that I was eating too much protein, and it was raising my blood glucose. It is possible that you are eating too much protein. Do you know how many grams per day you are eating?

Also, while I was in NK (as evidenced by blood testing), I did not lose weight at first because I was eating too much fat. I lowered my fat from 185g per day to 135g per day, and I started to lose weight. Do you know how many grams of fat you are eating per day?