Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Biggy Fat
Nutritional Ketosis and One Meal A Day - Possible?

Hello all. The question I have to ask is pretty much the topic question, but the reason I ask is because, well, I do have a work at home job that doesn't really give me much time to eat two or three big meals a day. But I was wondering as long as I get the required number of calories in and restrict the carbs, is it still possible to do this with one meal a day? I do feel I can get about 1200-1400 calories in on one meal, and I eat one big meal a day currently anyhow.
Biggy Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Joe
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis / Zero Carb
Yes, it's doable. I eat about once per day (occasionally twice, sometimes 0), and I consume more than 1400 calories in that meal I don't have any clever advice for menus, as I just eat a hunk of steak, add some additional beef fat, and then eat a few egg yolks.

As to whether once daily eating with NK is optimal, I cannot say but have some concerns. I consume only animal products, except for 2 packs of smarties immediately after twice a week weight training (to cause an insulin spike). My only other carbs come from unsweetened iced tea and liver. With all that, my blood ketones have been in the 0.6 to 1.4 range (after 12 to 16 hours of fasting), which doesn't seem all that high, and I'm not sure where they are shortly after eating (I don't eat in the same location where I store my ketone testing supplies).

Last edited by Joe; 08-24-2013 at 12:36 PM..
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Cool, man. So you've basically been meat and egging it?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Joe
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis / Zero Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy Fat View Post
Cool, man. So you've basically been meat and egging it?
Yep. I you decide to cut out vegetable matter, I'd strongly advise eggs or liver. I wince a bit at the word "superfood", but those two are head and shoulders above everything else I've seen, and contain nutrients that are hard to find otherwise (e.g., vitamin A and choline).
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Sweet. I loathe veggies, so this meat and egging on one meal a day should be a godsend. I know I can get in nearly 1500 calories with a dinner of ground beef, quarter legs, and eggs once a day and feel full until the next time (of course, gotta keep drinking water).
Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think it depends on how metabolically 'challenged' you are. For me, taking in my minimum required protein in one meal may cause a gluconeogenic response and kick me out of ketosis. Same may be true of my carb allowance.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: confusedtruffle
Stats: Pant: 32"/27"/25"
WOE: VLC, Keto
Start Date: July 2012
I agree with everyone's responses.

At the height of NK for me (goal weight, exercise goals being met, energy was stable, blood sugar was controlled), I was eating once per day because my body had adapted and was utilizing the fuel I gave it in a way that worked best.
It sounds like if you're newer to NK it's best to take meals and see how you feel. Does 20g carbs at once instead of over the day make you feel dizzy/hot/buzzed? Your metabolism may need to adjust itself from your new lifestyle changes.
When I first started I had to eat small bits over the day or else I'd feel like a zombie. But over time, one meal a day actually made me feel better.

Good luck to you!
confusedtruffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, you all. Like I said, I only really have time for one meal a day because of my work schedule, and I'm usually out of bed no earlier than 10:00 a.m. and working until dinner time.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I think it depends on how metabolically 'challenged' you are. For me, taking in my minimum required protein in one meal may cause a gluconeogenic response and kick me out of ketosis. Same may be true of my carb allowance.
Good point. Me, too.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote