Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Eating lean proteins only

Anyone do NK with eating very lean proteins only but adding fat separately so as to get a more accurate percentage of your ratios. While that does not seem appealing to me as a WOE, I was wondering if anyone sees this as practical from a ratio standpoint. One of my neighbors is a marathoner who also eats ketogenic ally ( not for weight loss) and this is what she does to make sure she gets the right nutrients.
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Joe
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis / Zero Carb
I follow a similar approach of adding a considerable amount of fat to my meat, but for somewhat different reasons.
1. I'm not shooting for a ratio, but a rough desired intake for protein. One pound of (uncooked) steak clocks in at roughly 90g of protein. I then add additional fat to be satiated.

2. Fat is one area that grass-fed beef and grain-fed beef differ greatly. So I use supermarket beef with grass-fed beef tallow added on top.

3. The taste of marbled beef is yummy (to me), but the taste of large pieces of beef fat is much less so.

It's certainly feasible to weight each component to compute ratios. One question is what ratio are you shooting for, and why? Most of what I've read has focused on carb and protein targets expressed as a raw quantity (e.g., grams) with the additional calories coming from fat. Are you doing something very intense, such as cancer treatment or ultra marathonning, where the exact ratio is important?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't really been monitoring my ratios . I'm doing NK as maybe a means for migraine prevention though there isn't a lot of support thAt it helps . I try to make sure to eat enough protein but don't monitor my fat intake just keep carbs very low. As of now, im pretty much doing an atkins induction long term with attention to protein grams and fat--- keep carbs very low. I'm not seeking weight loss at this point but am successfully maintaining. I was just kind of curious about this approach as I am wondering if it is more reliable measure as one can't really measure the protein or or fat content of heavily marblized meat or even chicken legs/thighs as they vary so much.

Last edited by Spanilingo; 08-24-2013 at 12:36 PM..
Old 08-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
I just don't like a lot of fat from meat, so I eat lean stuff but as butter, coconut oil, of EVOO.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I am working through some pacific cod in my freezer and as it is low fat, I add fat.
Today an ailoi sauce served that purpose.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I don't tend to pick low fat protein because it is just not as tasty to me. I also don't go by ratios but rather absolute gram values.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I don't tend to pick low fat protein because it is just not as tasty to me. I also don't go by ratios but rather absolute gram values.
How do you measure the protein grams in marblized meat or fatty chicken ? I am guessing an estimate is accurate enough and blood ketones measurements are more important?? I too eat fatty meats because I don't like white meat and think I crave salty/fatty things.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

I use the usda nutrient base and weigh my food. And yes, it is the blood ketones that are the most important.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
I do not monitor my ratios. The only thing that matters is the absolute value of the fat, protein and carbs you are eating. Eat the right amount of protein for your needs, add in the amount of carbs you have decided to eat, and then add enough fat to fill you up.

Whatever the ratios come out to does not matter. If you are eating the wrong amount of protein for your needs, adding or subtracting fat to achieve a certain ratio or percentage will not change the fact that you need either more or less protein.

Do you see what I mean?

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
How do you measure the protein grams in marblized meat or fatty chicken ? I am guessing an estimate is accurate enough and blood ketones measurements are more important?? I too eat fatty meats because I don't like white meat and think I crave salty/fatty things.
The USDA nutrient database does a pretty good job of giving macros for various cuts.

Something like beef,rib, "trimmed to 1/8" fat" with those quotes is a good search term when looking for info on a nice marbled steak. It's still an estimate because every steak is different, but it's closer than a generic listing for "steak, lean and fat eaten".
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
The USDA nutrient database does a pretty good job of giving macros for various cuts.

Something like beef,rib, "trimmed to 1/8" fat" with those quotes is a good search term when looking for info on a nice marbled steak. It's still an estimate because every steak is different, but it's closer than a generic listing for "steak, lean and fat eaten".
I think you mean to say 'good breakdown of the macronutrient'.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: charitysmom1029
Stats: 40 yrs. old-166/154/110-5'2"-HIGHEST WEIGHT 226
WOE: calorie restricted ketogenic -0 carbs
Start Date: 1/8/2014
I eat a lot of tuna and turkey bacon and get my fat from dipping it in 0 carb mayo. Anyone else here use lean meats but love to dip it in may....just wondering
charitysmom1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I am not a super big fan of fatty met, but I love CO, olive oil, butter, cream. I had rather fix a lean chicken breast and then pour some butter on it. I also love a good dill sauce on some fish. I usually drain the fat off my hamburger meat.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
For me it depends on the meat. I am not a fan of chicken thighs, drumsticks are ok, but I prefer the breast. I LOVE lamb fat, and like some beef fat...so I tend to make sure my meat falls I to an ok protein amount for me, then add fat like cheese, butter or have extra cream if I'm eating lower fat meats.
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

The other issue that might be useful to consider is that using meat as your source of fat could be difficult particularly if you are moderating protein. I tend to pick things to eat that are not particularly high in protein if and when I can. Meat is of course, one of the highest sources. Fish too.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Thanx everyone for the advice.

I try to eat one can of tuna a day which equals 20 grams of protein. I buy the jennie-o turkey bacon which has 2 gr. of protein a slice. I can usually eat about 8-10 slices a day equaling 16-20 grams of protein. So as it stands I am keeping my protein about 50 grams daily now. I do however dip and mix my tuna and bacon in 0 carb mayo. That is where I am getting my fat from and majority of calories. 1tbs=100 calores and it says the fat calories are 100. 1 tbs equals 11 grams of fat so I try to use 6 tbs a day. The turkey bacon aslo contains 2.5 grams of fat a slice. I like this menu cause its simple and there is no real effort that goes into it. I have done it for 4 days now. I also add one large hard boiled egg into my tuna.
Do you think there is anything wrong with eating the same type of fat everyday? Meaning mayo?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no more scale!
WOE: Hunger Directed Eating 4/22/14
Start Date: JUDDD: start 2/14-4/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by charitysmom1029 View Post
I eat a lot of tuna and turkey bacon and get my fat from dipping it in 0 carb mayo. Anyone else here use lean meats but love to dip it in may....just wondering
I love mayo but don't eat too much of of the store-bought kind because of it's usually made with the vegetable oils that I try to avoid. those naughty omega 6's. If I make homemade mayo though, it's a different story... I'll eat it up quick.

Last edited by Green; 01-15-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

oh yeah homemade mayo....I could do that....great idea thanks so much. How long does homemade mayo keep in the fridge>
Old 01-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #19
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
oh yeah homemade mayo....I could do that....great idea thanks so much. How long does homemade mayo keep in the fridge>
At least a week. I have kept mine up to 3 wks. Make sure you use a good olive oil or something like avocado oil.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

thanks so very much!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #21
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I don't really care about ratios. I do aim for a specific range for my fat & protein.

While I like a few fatty meats (bacon!), I mostly eat lean beef & poultry. I even trim fat off before cooking. lol... I've always preferred to add my own healthy fats instead of buying high fat protein. I buy protein for the protein.

Virgin coconut oil has been my main fat for years. I use butter, too, and once in a blue moon another type of oil.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Quote:
Thanx everyone for the advice.

Do you think there is anything wrong with eating the same type of fat everyday? Meaning mayo?
I personally do think it's not ok to eat your main source from an unsaturated form. I think ( and this is just my view) that the saturated fats are more what keeps our bodies healthy...saturated fats from meat, dairy and coconuts. Don't get me wrong, oils from olives and avocados ( not heated...well heated avo is ok) have their place, but IMHO aren't as nutritive as the saturated fats one would get from animal or coconut sources.....
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote