Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Endless hunger!!!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/810487-endless-hunger.html)

finallylosing 08-21-2013 01:44 PM

Endless hunger!!!!

I have been eating all day today! I just can't seem to fill myself. I am a type 2 and my sugars have been hovering around 4.6 which is about low 80's all day. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, they go up a bit and then crash back down and I'm starving again and shaking. I actually just sat down and ate a small bowl of peanut butter mixed with cream cheese!
It's probably nothing, just one of those days, but it's frustrating because I just hit my all time low in weight earlier this week and I feel I'm going to gain it all back eating so much. I've eaten proper food all day but just a lot of it!!!
Thanks for letting me rant!

Patience 08-21-2013 01:51 PM

Maybe your body is just doing some catch. I have days when I just need to eat more. Are you eating on plan foods?

finallylosing 08-21-2013 02:06 PM

Yes, completely on plan. At least I've got that going for me!

Patience 08-21-2013 02:16 PM

It sounds ok, then, as long as it doesn't continue for days on end.
I'll bet you readjust tomorrow or the next day and your weight loss will continue.

finallylosing 08-21-2013 04:56 PM

Well I think I'm finally full! Actually felt much better after the peanut butter and cream cheese and then had supper a couple of hours after, cheese burger and Greek salad, and feel good. I'm thinking maybe my fat intake was a bit low earlier today and that's what the problem was. Just another reason to eat more fat!!

Patience 08-21-2013 05:29 PM

Good for you!
Fat satisfies, yes it does.

Punkin 08-21-2013 05:52 PM

Do you know if you are in NK? If you aren't and you think you are, you brain is struggling to get enough glucose, and it isn't functioning on ketones. I can take almost up to a week after going low carb to get into ketosis. It is really difficult.

lovetoknit 08-21-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finallylosing (Post 16568699)
I have been eating all day today! I just can't seem to fill myself. I am a type 2 and my sugars have been hovering around 4.6 which is about low 80's all day. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, they go up a bit and then crash back down and I'm starving again and shaking. I actually just sat down and ate a small bowl of peanut butter mixed with cream cheese!
It's probably nothing, just one of those days, but it's frustrating because I just hit my all time low in weight earlier this week and I feel I'm going to gain it all back eating so much. I've eaten proper food all day but just a lot of it!!!
Thanks for letting me rant!

You might want to avoid the peanut butter. It has quite a lot of carbs. Try eating some red meat like a hamburger patty instead. It may make you feel better.
Carolyn

lovetoknit 08-21-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finallylosing (Post 16568998)
Well I think I'm finally full! Actually felt much better after the peanut butter and cream cheese and then had supper a couple of hours after, cheese burger and Greek salad, and feel good. I'm thinking maybe my fat intake was a bit low earlier today and that's what the problem was. Just another reason to eat more fat!!

Sorry. I did not read this post before I posted. Good for you for eating the cheeseburger. Hamburger patties always satisfy when I feel that way.
Carolyn

luigi_uk 08-22-2013 02:36 PM

I have been lchf for 12 months now and rarely feel hungry, in fact sometimes I force myself to stop and eat as I need the nutrients. I am posting this to give you hope :)

itsmeshelly01 08-22-2013 03:35 PM

I'm feeling this too right now. I know i just started but right now im feeling like im hungrier than i was when i was eating tons of veggies and little meat and fat. i know my body will adjust, i hope!!
i guess we just have to be patient!!
Today has been especially bad. I lifted weights this mornign and im always hungrier when i lift weights vs just a run or something.

finallylosing 08-22-2013 06:39 PM

Thanks all! Today has been better. Only two meals today and feeling fine. Must have just been one of those days!

MerryKate 08-22-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 (Post 16570443)
Today has been especially bad. I lifted weights this morning and i'm always hungrier when i lift weights vs just a run or something.

I'm always hungrier on days when I work out, too. For extra energy for your workouts try eating coconut oil ahead of time - it gives you quick energy when your body is in fat-burning mode, and it will keep your blood sugar stable so you don't get a sudden drop after working out.

Aomiel 08-23-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finallylosing (Post 16568699)
I am a type 2 and my sugars have been hovering around 4.6 which is about low 80's all day. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, they go up a bit and then crash back down and I'm starving again and shaking.

Sounds like your 'hunger' is a direct result of sugar crashes. The best thing you can eat when your blood glucose drops...protein. A hard boiled egg, 2 oz of hard cheese...either of these will get into your system faster than any other source of protein and will raise you slowly enough that you won't have a followup crash (which carbs will do).

itsmeshelly01 08-23-2013 06:21 AM

thank you. That was a good idea. I knew i was going for a run this morning and i usually eat a small apple or something like before but now i havent known what to do.
I made a quick fat bomb last night of 1/2T of CO and 1t ghee and added 1T of protein. let if in the fridge and it was a pretty good little cookie this morning. Kept me going for my run. I think i will do that before lifting weights too.
Since i have cut down my carbs im actually being able to run longer and feeling more energized. My knees arent hurting near as bad either!! Im loving it!!

finallylosing 08-23-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16571169)
Sounds like your 'hunger' is a direct result of sugar crashes. The best thing you can eat when your blood glucose drops...protein. A hard boiled egg, 2 oz of hard cheese...either of these will get into your system faster than any other source of protein and will raise you slowly enough that you won't have a followup crash (which carbs will do).

Well that's why I was so frustrated, because I was eating protein only - had some tuna, had a hardboiled egg, had some cashews, had some cheese! I didn't feel well that day until I had the peanut butter concoction, which tasted great too! I haven't had a crash from carbs in a long time but that is what it felt like all day. I had one other day about six months ago where I couldn't get my blood sugar to go above 4 all day no matter what I ate (well, on plan food), and then again, the next day I was fine. I will have to watch for these cycles, could be hormones.
I'm going away this weekend so hopefully the hunger stays in check!!!

AnnetteW 08-23-2013 04:04 PM

We can eat some carbs and still be in nutritional ketosis. All protein and fat doesn't necessarily make every individual feel better. That little bit of peanut butter and cream cheese might have been all you needed, a couple grams to make you feel better. It doesn't change the fact that someone is in NK.

I ate protein/fat for breakfast, I ate fatty protein for lunch, 1.5 hours after lunch I still didn't feel satisfied and it wasn't because I was hungry. So I ate some things which added a few carbs and finally felt satisfied.

We do all react differently to food.

Of course, now I'm facing dinner soon and really not that hungry.

emel 08-24-2013 09:05 AM

I used to turn into a shrill, demanding harpy when I went too long without food.
Now that I do low carb, it's very rare, but still if I let myself get too empty I'll get a little shaky, and it takes a lot to get me filled up and feeling better.

So that's why I use low carb veggies as part of my plan. We're all different, but for me, I feel good all day when lunch and dinner is a protein and a veggie choice like salad with full-fat dressing or a cooked veg with butter, plus some cheese or cream or avocado for flavor and to boost the fat content.