Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
Some questions

Hello all! I've been doing low carb off and on for at least 10 years now. (Been a frequent part of this site too over the years!)

I am planning to start a low carb high fat WOE on Sept. 1 but have some questions.

What are the most nutritious LCHF foods to eat? Getting and staying healthy is my main concern (losing weight is part of that goal!) and I want to get as much nutrition in me as I can.

I guess the easiest way to do this is to do my usual 'low carb' fare and add as much extra healthy fat to it as I can. Is that what you all have done?

Thanks for any input & help. Looking forward to this again!

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done.
Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds all our understanding.
His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/176/135 (5'5", 51 yrs)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: Nov 4, 2014 @ high weight
I just eat my eggs, meat, cheeses, veggies, nuts, butter, coconut oil, other fats, some chocolate, some booze.

Lately I'm skipping fruit, yogurt/cottage cheese.

I do have some bad oils in blue cheese dressing occasionally, and we eat out Mexican usually as I can eat that low carb quite easily.

I'm feeling great and staying in ketosis. I should eat a bit less though cause my weight loss is extremely slow.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I am doing much as Annette is doing. I am avoiding the booze, though, as I am not good at moderate drinking. I do eat a couple ounces of high fat yogurt with a small amount of fruit a couple of times a week. I am not losing fast but I am definitely losing.

I ate some nuts while on a recent field trip, but I generally avoid them too because moderation is hard for me. I eat cheese but try to keep to a 4 ounce per day limit.

I've swapped out half and half for CO and Butter or CO and HWC in my coffee. CO and MCT oil have been great additions to my diet since my restart in March.

Last edited by Patience; 08-19-2013 at 05:14 PM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
Hello all! I've been doing low carb off and on for at least 10 years now. (Been a frequent part of this site too over the years!)

I am planning to start a low carb high fat WOE on Sept. 1 but have some questions.

What are the most nutritious LCHF foods to eat? Getting and staying healthy is my main concern (losing weight is part of that goal!) and I want to get as much nutrition in me as I can.

I guess the easiest way to do this is to do my usual 'low carb' fare and add as much extra healthy fat to it as I can. Is that what you all have done?

I would say no to this. It is not a case of just eating as much fat as one can but rather a case of keeping carbs very low, eating a moderate amount of protein (starting with a calculation of your individual needs) and then eating enough fat to keep you comfortable and happy and that will end up being the bigger macro overall.

The really important distinction is to pay attention to the absolute values in grams of the macro nutrients (i.e. # of carb grams, # or protein grams and # or fat grams). Many people seem to think that upping the fat is all that is needed when in fact, when weight loss is not happening and the other foods are in line, the fat is the macro that needs to be cut back.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I would say no to this. It is not a case of just eating as much fat as one can but rather a case of keeping carbs very low, eating a moderate amount of protein (starting with a calculation of your individual needs) and then eating enough fat to keep you comfortable and happy and that will end up being the bigger macro overall.

The really important distinction is to pay attention to the absolute values in grams of the macro nutrients (i.e. # of carb grams, # or protein grams and # or fat grams). Many people seem to think that upping the fat is all that is needed when in fact, when weight loss is not happening and the other foods are in line, the fat is the macro that needs to be cut back.
Well, doggone it, that sounds a lot more complicated then! Sounds like we have to 'micro' manage every morsel. How does one know how much of each macro nutrient to take in other than 'low carb', etc.?

[I like your quote of Dr. Attia! I just 'found' him recently and am very impressed with him!]

Last edited by Selahgal; 08-21-2013 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Addition.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

I really like Dr. Attia as well!

There is a bit of a learning curve when starting out (I had no idea of the protein values of any of the foods I was eating). For many folks, they can do the Atkins approach and never have to worry about protein and I generally think this is the best beginning approach for most people.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
It takes some figuring to get rolling, but it gets easy.
One way to make it easy is to have a sort of template for your meal plans.

For example, mine is:
B- either 2 eggs and 2 bacon w/butter on the eggs or some chicken salad with homemade mayo.

L- salad, ranch dressing mixed with olive oil, 4 oz protein

D- 4-5 oz protein, small salad w/dressing and oil, and/or some cooked LC veggies with butter.

Snacks and add-ons--these vary and might include one or two of the following:
broth, cheese, boiled egg/devilled egg, cold leftover meat or chicken, a dill pickle or two, decaf with cream, or a small serving of LC dessert (but I keep them simple so I don't get in trouble).

So if I follow this, I really don't need to count everything unless I want to.

To design a LCHF routine, first figure out your protein needs.
We need somewhere between 1 and 2.5 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight. 1.5 grams is suggested as a starting point. (I've settled into about 1.3 grams after much experimentation).

So ideal weight/2.2 to get kg, then multiply by 1.5 or whatever number of protein grams you pick.

For me that's 135/2.2 * 1.3 =79.77 so I round up to 80 g protein per day.
or if your goal is, say, 160 and you want 1.5 g proten:
160/2.2 * 1.5 = 109 g protein per day.

Then you eat however many carbs you can handle. A lot of people start with 20 net grams of carbs because that's how Atkins does it.

And then you eat enough fat to feel satisfied.
For me, that works out to 4 or 5 tbl of added butter or oil or the equivalent in salad dressing or cream, along with the fats in my meats, eggs, cheese, etc. My fat varies, but I shoot for about 90-100 g per day. I don't have a big appetite. If I did, I'd stick to my 80 g protein, 20 g carbs, and then I'd add more fat but not a crazy amount. Maybe if I was hungry I'd drink a cup of chicken broth with a tbl of butter melted in it.

ETA... I choose fattier protein choices. Chicken thigh with skin on instead of boneless skinless breast. Nice fatty cut of meat, not 94/6 ground beef.

Last edited by emel; 08-21-2013 at 08:45 AM..
emel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:17 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
It really does depend on the person, there are a lot of variable which can affect what the diet will look like for you. For me for example, the Atkins diet is too high in protein and I seem to have a "carb set point." But to get into ketosis, I have to eat over 90 percent fat and reduce my calories, otherwise my body will not produce enough ketones.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
Start Date: March 2009
My experience is that I was being held out of ketosis by eating too much protein, not too much fat. On the other hand, I was being kept from losing weight by eating too much fat.

I would say to eat around 60-75 grams of protein, depending on your height, add in the amount of carbs you think you can tolerate, and then add enough fat to keep you from being hungry.

And I agree that the ratios and percentages do not matter. If you are eating too much of protein or carbs, just adding fat to "increase your fat percentage" does not make sense.

If you would like to tell me your weight and height, I could give you some numbers to start with. But, then you, like all of us, will have to do some tweaking if things do not go right.

I would have to say that most of us have not automatically had an easy time trying to figure things out, and it takes sometimes months and years, but it sure beats the alternative of obesity and disease. It's worth it!

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Well, like I said, I'm very experienced with low carb WOE having done Atkins several times and South Beach once. I have the books [bought the T Shirt, etc. Hehe!] as well. Still have my journals, logs, lists, charts, etc. from those times, too. I always lost *about* 30-40 lbs then stalled for months and would finally wander off again.

I don't know how much I weigh now, but I'm guessing it's about 240-250 and I'm 5'4" tall and 62 years old next week! EEK! Anyhow, that makes me 12 years post menopausal too which has it's own set of issues. I do not overeat at all and eat pretty healthy too, take supplements, etc. I plan to weigh in when I start and get other 'stats' too at that time.

I have made a nice list of foods I love, the carbs & fats of them, and am now trying to build about 20 'meals' I can rotate around them. I probably don't eat more than 20 different meals/foods anyhow so that would work for me.

That's where I am right now. Health FIRST. No junkie foods just because they happen to be 'low carb' or 'high fat'.

Looking forward to hanging here and thanks for your input!

Last edited by Selahgal; 08-22-2013 at 06:58 AM..
Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

At your height, I still feel confident saying that around 60-75 grams of protein is a good amount to start at.

Let us know how things are going!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Marci,

Sounds like you are raring to go and motivation is a great starting place. Let's get you over the hump of the first few days/weeks and then worry about any tweaking.

My suggestion is to start posting your menus and ask for suggestions.

Have you figured out your protein number based on the formulas given above? Use the range. If you go with 1 to 1.5 g per kg reference/ideal bodyweight that's a great start. So if your numbers are 70-100g (ideal weight ~150lbs) just eat in that range. Pick your carb limit and go from there.

You don't even necessarily need to track once you get an idea of where you are, save tracking when you don't know what you are doing, or you are trying something new, or not losing of course (and straying.)

Wishing you all the best on the new venture into nutritional ketosis.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Well, like I said, I'm very experienced with low carb WOE having done Atkins several times and South Beach once. I have the books [bought the T Shirt, etc. Hehe!] as well. Still have my journals, logs, lists, charts, etc. from those times, too. I always lost *about* 30-40 lbs then stalled for months and would finally wander off again.

I don't know how much I weigh now, but I'm guessing it's about 240-250 and I'm 5'4" tall and 62 years old next week! EEK! Anyhow, that makes me 12 years post menopausal too which has it's own set of issues. I do not overeat at all and eat pretty healthy too, take supplements, etc. I plan to weigh in when I start and get other 'stats' too at that time.

I have made a nice list of foods I love, the carbs & fats of them, and am now trying to build about 20 'meals' I can rotate around them. I probably don't eat more than 20 different meals/foods anyhow so that would work for me.

That's where I am right now. Health FIRST. No junkie foods just because they happen to be 'low carb' or 'high fat'.

Looking forward to hanging here and thanks for your input!
Great idea on the basic meal plans.
I use the same meals a lot. And I think certain veggies and side dishes go nicely with certain meats. I like green beans with LC meatloaf or hamburger steak. I like broccoli with steak.
So lunch and dinner are super easy--- a meat, a veg or salad, and an allotment of cheese or cream or oil or butter. Oddly, the trickiest one for me is breakfast because every now and then I want something carbier, like cottage cheese or an almond flour muffin. So I might have to adjust for the remaining meals. One way I decrease that variable is to have a small serving of the oddball food along with a smallish portion of meat and/or one poached egg--so it's kinda like half a 'treat' breakfast and half a 'normal' breakfast.
emel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Marci,

Sounds like you are raring to go and motivation is a great starting place. Let's get you over the hump of the first few days/weeks and then worry about any tweaking.

My suggestion is to start posting your menus and ask for suggestions.

Have you figured out your protein number based on the formulas given above? Use the range. If you go with 1 to 1.5 g per kg reference/ideal bodyweight that's a great start. So if your numbers are 70-100g (ideal weight ~150lbs) just eat in that range. Pick your carb limit and go from there.

You don't even necessarily need to track once you get an idea of where you are, save tracking when you don't know what you are doing, or you are trying something new, or not losing of course (and straying.)

Wishing you all the best on the new venture into nutritional ketosis.
I am totally OCD and love keeping logs & journals. It helps me keep on track and keep my goals in mind, too. Not a burden for me at all.

Appreciate the encouragement!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am totally OCD and love keeping logs & journals. It helps me keep on track and keep my goals in mind, too. Not a burden for me at all.

Appreciate the encouragement!
I'm the same way. People keep telling me that keeping records is so stressful that it will keep me from losing weight. Right. Maybe it will keep them from losing weight, but keeping records and charts is second nature to me and fun!

If you would like to see my charts, check out my journal, posted under my signature.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I'm the same way. People keep telling me that keeping records is so stressful that it will keep me from losing weight. Right. Maybe it will keep them from losing weight, but keeping records and charts is second nature to me and fun!

If you would like to see my charts, check out my journal, posted under my signature.
Impressive charts!!! Was that from a site online or did you create them?
Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I have my own Excel charts in my log too. I'm not so big on graphs, maybe when I have more data.

I was just reading some more of "Trick And Treat" and they give the protein amount as 1-1.5g per kg of lean body weight. That puts my numbers lower. My lean is just around 100lb or a bit less. So I'm looking at 45-68 g of protein. I feel that is too low for me, but then again, maybe it isn't. I find it hard to eat such low protein and I tend to range around 80-100g.

Maybe next week I'll try tracking macros again and see what I can do. It is so hard to eat meals with more and more fat and less protein. I like some bulk in my food.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Impressive charts!!! Was that from a site online or did you create them?
I created them. They are Excel spreadsheets.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I created them. They are Excel spreadsheets.
That is amazing ... so much detail! Wow.

All of mine are in excel too, but I use a lot of boldface, colors, fonts, etc., for emphasis and such and the information is pretty basic too.

Last edited by Selahgal; 08-22-2013 at 05:23 PM..
Old 08-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That is amazing ... so much detail! Wow.

All of mine are in excel too, but I use a lot of boldface, colors, fonts, etc., for emphasis and such and the information is pretty basic too.
Are you gonna show them to us?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Are you gonna show them to us?
How do I do that? Copy and paste them here?

I don't have a log yet because I'm not starting until Sept. 1 but I have a snazzy personalized food list.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

The way I do it is to take a screen shot of the chart, save it as a jpeg, then upload it to a website that stores photos, like shutterfly. Once it is there, right click on the photo and select "Copy Image Location". Then, come here, and click on the little picture above the comment box that looks like little mountain peaks. A box will pop up, then hold down the Ctrl key and press V. Hit okay, and the photo of your chart will be here.

Simple, right?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #23
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
The way I do it is to take a screen shot of the chart, save it as a jpeg, then upload it to a website that stores photos, like shutterfly. Once it is there, right click on the photo and select "Copy Image Location". Then, come here, and click on the little picture above the comment box that looks like little mountain peaks. A box will pop up, then hold down the Ctrl key and press V. Hit okay, and the photo of your chart will be here.

Simple, right?
No wonder I have never been able to post a chart here. I missed about all those steps!!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Marci, I am a newbie too in sorting out the NK stuff.
My thoughts are to keep the carbs as low as I can. Sounds that will be easy for you. For me, too. Play around a bit with the protein but try to be careful about eating too much or too little. I am comfortable with a range (say 60 - 80) so I can up a bit on days that I feel more hunger. The fat has been an eye-opener, as it really keeps me satisfied. But again, be alert for too much but don't be too afraid of too little. I am not a good tracker. My approach is more qualitiative, but I am losing, slowly but steadily. Suits me.
I am about your age, and I am very determined to feel good and look better in my sexy sixties. Good lord!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:

You get most of your nutrition from meat, eggs, and fish. Add in other stuff as you can tolerate. Fill in calories from natural fats.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
You get most of your nutrition from meat, eggs, and fish. Add in other stuff as you can tolerate. Fill in calories from natural fats.
Carolyn
Sounds GREAT to me as I am not a big veggie eater although I will miss my fruit. Only fish I eat is tuna or salmon, nice n fatty!
Old 08-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Sounds GREAT to me as I am not a big veggie eater although I will miss my fruit. Only fish I eat is tuna or salmon, nice n fatty!
If you can limit yourself to no more than 2 or 3 strawberries for example, you can still have a small amount of fruit. My husband has a few berries once a day in his shake and he is losing just fine. Fruit makes me hungry, so I avoid it.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

I would rather eat no strawberries and 2 or 3 strawberries.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #29
Chatty Cathy

I use them as a flavouring for yogurt.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

I go to a salad bar fairly regularly that has nice fruit on it and haven't had any of the fruit in ages. The other day the strawberries looked wonderful, and I had three. They were delicious.

Controlled environment.

The grapes are delicious right now and I've picked off maybe 4 or 5, during two separate weeks. Absolutely divine.

Fruit tastes so much better now that I have it so rarely. So I will stick to not eating it, but allow the occasional taste like I have and then I appreciate it so much more.