Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
After reading "Trick or Treat" (same day someone posted the info here), I pretty much gave up on vegies. To be honest, the vegies I mainly love are the starchy ones so, other than yummy fresh green beans or a romaine/baby spinach salad, it was tough to get those vegies in. Since reading the book, my diet has become less than 10gm of carbs most days, around 70-95gm of protein (roughly) and 70-80% fat (usually midway). I love it now that I'm not trying to stick in vegies at two meals.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
I too feel less pressure to eat veggies and can eat them as desired. I ate some celery with my lunch and a tomato/cucumber salad with my dinner. I'm happy with veggies, just prefer that I don't have to eat gobs of them.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Love this thread. I had no veggies today (after having quite a few the past couple of days). Feeling no guilt!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
In terms of not eating fiber, I've been pure carnivore for nearly 4 years now. Oops, I guess I did have about a 0.5" by 0.5" of coconut meat in that time, but that's been it for plant matter consumption.

Fiber is a physical defense mechanism for plant to prevent their seeds from remaining long enough in our digestive tract to be destroyed. Fiber abrades the intestinal lining, which causes a mucous release which protects the area and speeds along the transit of food. I see what this defense makes sense for plants, but why do we want to hurt our intestines?

With respect to phytonutrients, I am sure there are many many chemicals in plants that we do not yet understand. Some of them might even benefit us. However, I am quite sure that many of the chemicals in plants are designed for the plant's benefit, and not for ours. The Diagnosis Diet blog does a nice analysis of chemicals in plants, as does Trick and Treat by Barry Groves. Basically, the cocktail of chemicals are a plant's way of trying to defend itself to prevent being eaten.

Humanity spread across the globe, including places with no tropical fruit (!), and sometimes little vegetative matter. Somehow they survived the experience.

There are online communities with a lot of pure carnivores, many of whom skip organ meats. I am aware of two incidents of likely clinical nutrient deficiency for carnivores. Both cases involved trying to subsist solely on pemmican (dehydrated lean meat mixed with rendered fat) for long periods of time. So, as long as you're not trying to live on pemmican, we have data for people surviving for a moderate number of years in good health.

Is muscle meat sufficient over a period of decades? Insufficient data. However, it seems sensible to include liver and eggs in the diet, as those have a nutrient profile very different than muscle meat. Bone marrow seems potentially another important part of the diet. Gelatin is another item to consider, as it has a very different amino acid profile than muscle and organs.
Joe, I, too, find your post very nice. I find the bone broth, with the fat and the marrow very nourishing and satisfying. I include pastured butter, and a bit of pastured cream, too. The butter for nutrients, and the cream because I like it (mostly as yoghurt). I would like to see a repeat of the Bellevue Experiment, including bone marrow and fat, and egg yolks, and perhaps even butter, and have it go on for years. I would guess that there are many folks who would volunteer.

Thanks for your post. I wish you all the best.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: It'stime
Stats: 186/173/120
WOE: stillman weekdays/Atkins week-ends
Start Date: September 2nd 2014
I want vegetables.
It'stime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'stime View Post
I want vegetables.
Me, too!
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Me three! We eat, I would say an exceptionally varied and healthy dietin my home. Most things are made from scratch or are bought unadulterated. I've been low carbing on my own for six weeks, and feeling great! Just ditching sugar has helped me, I'm sure. I made my kids dhal and idlis ( idlis are fermented rice and dhal mix that is finely ground and steamed) for lunch yesterday and today, and they devoured it...I ate my meat...with a bit of envy. It makes me sad to think no more dhal, or spicy sambhar, or chickpea salad, or eggplant and chickpea curry...I don't miss grains, or starchy veg like potatoes, but do miss lentils and pulses on occasion. I also miss fruit, tremendously! We've had spectacular cheap organic winter strawberries, but I haven't indulged ( want to be very low carb atm)....and soon it will be mango and stone fruit season.....sigh.
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymuma View Post
Me three! We eat, I would say an exceptionally varied and healthy dietin my home. Most things are made from scratch or are bought unadulterated. I've been low carbing on my own for six weeks, and feeling great! Just ditching sugar has helped me, I'm sure. I made my kids dhal and idlis ( idlis are fermented rice and dhal mix that is finely ground and steamed) for lunch yesterday and today, and they devoured it...I ate my meat...with a bit of envy. It makes me sad to think no more dhal, or spicy sambhar, or chickpea salad, or eggplant and chickpea curry...I don't miss grains, or starchy veg like potatoes, but do miss lentils and pulses on occasion. I also miss fruit, tremendously! We've had spectacular cheap organic winter strawberries, but I haven't indulged ( want to be very low carb atm)....and soon it will be mango and stone fruit season.....sigh.
I feel your pain.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
In terms of not eating fiber, I've been pure carnivore for nearly 4 years now. Oops, I guess I did have about a 0.5" by 0.5" of coconut meat in that time, but that's been it for plant matter consumption.

Fiber is a physical defense mechanism for plant to prevent their seeds from remaining long enough in our digestive tract to be destroyed. Fiber abrades the intestinal lining, which causes a mucous release which protects the area and speeds along the transit of food. I see what this defense makes sense for plants, but why do we want to hurt our intestines?

With respect to phytonutrients, I am sure there are many many chemicals in plants that we do not yet understand. Some of them might even benefit us. However, I am quite sure that many of the chemicals in plants are designed for the plant's benefit, and not for ours. The Diagnosis Diet blog does a nice analysis of chemicals in plants, as does Trick and Treat by Barry Groves. Basically, the cocktail of chemicals are a plant's way of trying to defend itself to prevent being eaten.

Humanity spread across the globe, including places with no tropical fruit (!), and sometimes little vegetative matter. Somehow they survived the experience.

There are online communities with a lot of pure carnivores, many of whom skip organ meats. I am aware of two incidents of likely clinical nutrient deficiency for carnivores. Both cases involved trying to subsist solely on pemmican (dehydrated lean meat mixed with rendered fat) for long periods of time. So, as long as you're not trying to live on pemmican, we have data for people surviving for a moderate number of years in good health.

Is muscle meat sufficient over a period of decades? Insufficient data. However, it seems sensible to include liver and eggs in the diet, as those have a nutrient profile very different than muscle meat. Bone marrow seems potentially another important part of the diet. Gelatin is another item to consider, as it has a very different amino acid profile than muscle and organs.
Excellent points.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 280/208/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Re Start Oct 19 2013
I take greens powder every morning
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote