Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Frank333
Health insurance test while on keto diet

I have a health insurance test in a month for lower rates through my work. They test cholesterol, blood pressure, BMI, bone density, Triglycerides, and pulmonary function testing from what I can remember was on the sheet. I know my BMI and blood pressure have gone down since starting the diet but I was wondering how the diet would effect these other tests(good or bad) so I could decide if I wanted to break away from my very low keto and do a more moderate carb for the next month till after the test.

Last edited by Frank333; 08-08-2013 at 08:11 AM..
Frank333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
You can pick up a home test for cholesterol from walmart or a drug store and do a quick (but not precise) test on yourself if you think it might be a problem
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Isn't it crazy that you have to go to a less healthy way of eating to 'pass' these insurance tests.

My husband just found out that the health insurance provider where he works is instituting these 'wellness' tests starting in January for employees and then the following year for the dependants. I already told my husband that I don't care what their tests say, I refuse to go back to a way of eating that will have me back on insulin.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I have always had good cholesterol, and being in ketosis and losing weight has not changed it much.

Long term, cholesterol numbers tend to improve while eating LCHF, but while losing weight, some people report a temporary increase in some numbers (the reason is explained in Art & Science of Low Carb Living). At the same time, the ratios improve, so it's kind of a mixed bag for some people, while others see the benefits in their numbers right away.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I have always had good cholesterol, and being in ketosis and losing weight has not changed it much.

Long term, cholesterol numbers tend to improve while eating LCHF, but while losing weight, some people report a temporary increase in some numbers (the reason is explained in Art & Science of Low Carb Living). At the same time, the ratios improve, so it's kind of a mixed bag for some people, while others see the benefits in their numbers right away.
^^Agree with this post.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Frank333
Thanks for the replys. I pass the test and get a slight improvement on my rates just for taking the test if its good or bad outcome doesnt matter. Just the better my test results are the more I can get deducted off of it. I'll probably just pick up one of those at home tests next week to see what it looks like and decide from there.
Frank333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shakespeare72
Stats: 328/274/228
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 23, 2013
I did the same thing a few months ago for lower rates. The doctor, who knew I was low carbing, was so impressed with my blood work that she had me come in so we could go over them. She said, "I really just wanted to see you because your blood work is excellent"
Shakespeare72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I've had stellar tests in all those areas since I started low-carbing. Part of the reason I started eating this way was because I had high triglycerides and my doctor wanted to put me on medication. That's no longer an issue in my life. I suspect you're going to find the same results on your tests, so I'd encourage you to relax and stick with your nutritional ketosis.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bellajack
I agree with sticking to the LCHF way of eating. Just a little side story to prove my point. About a year ago I succeeded at doing a totally vegan diet for 6 months. I thought sure my total cholesterol, LDL & triglycerides would come down. Instead, they went through the roof--245 to 317 for TC, 159 to 221 for LDL & 77 to 170! for triglycerides and my large buoyant desirable pattern A LDL went to A/B pattern less desirable. The doctor and I were flabbergasted. How could this be? Isn't this the very diet all of the health gurus say you have to eat to maintain optimal health?

Now, fast forward one year. I have been on a LCHF/ketogenic diet for 4 months. Guess what? My numbers went from 317 to 204 TC (I haven't been 204 TC in over 30 years); 221 to 136 LDL; 170 to 67 triglycerides. Say what? My doctor was again flabbergasted when she heard I was eating a ketogenic diet.

So, don't let anyone ever tell you that every diet fits all. It just doesn't.
bellajack is offline   Reply With Quote