Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Jane, I'm glad to hear you are doing well. Please keep us informed.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: johnbtv
Wonderful news! Best wishes for your full recovery!
johnbtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #33
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Fantastic news and you have such a good outlook and so much optimism - it is wonderful! Looking forward to hearing how you are doing.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Glad to learn your surgery went well
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
weight gain? Hikes!

Thank you for all your caring replies. Everything as far as the surgery goes is as expected: pain and drain. But really, I don't feel bad or exhausted. This morning, I weighed and had gained 8.5 lbs in less than as week. And that's with 10 lb. of breast tissue being removed. I must be holding on to a lot of water. Usually a ketogenic diet helps with edema, but not right now for me. It's a case of 2 steps forward and 3 steps backwards. One of the doctors said that a study has shown that women who have this reduction surgery experience an average of 21 lbs lost in addition to the breast tissue, but the doc, and then another, said that they really don't know why. I'm waiting for one gigantic visit from the whoosh fairy.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Do you know what kind of saline drip they had you on? Some of them have glucose, and some of them have a solution that's safe for diabetics. When I had my latest surgery this April, I had the diabetic version, and wasn't kicked out of ketosis. You may have had the other, and be retaining water because of it. I mean, obviously, you're retaining water, but the drip may be exacerbating the problem.

How are you feeling otherwise?
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

I didn't accept the drip until they assured me that it contained no glucose. I haven't been allowed to use metformin yet, and that means lots and lots of adjustments to insulin again. But, this is still the way to eat for me. It makes all kinds of sense. And there have been actual scientific studies that indicate that keeping blood sugar as low as possible is quite a challenge to the growth of cancer. Someone on the mail list for ketogenics and cancer has actually written to Dr. Seyfried with a problem somewhat like mine and he has answered. I am going to study his response more thoroughly and seek out more information. I can't be the only type II in this world who is using injected insulin and trying to achieve a ketogenic state at the same time.

This breast reduction surgery is painful, awfully so. And for the first time in my life, when I look down and can actualy see what's below my chest, the view ain't pretty. I need a lot more whittling. This is really a difficult issue for me. When I heal, maybe Spanx will help some. All those shirts bought for big chests look ridiculous.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gentle and lots of healing time. We're sending you healing vibes and good thoughts.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #39
Chatty Cathy

I am so impressed you. I so hope that your pain is a thing of the past really soon.

I wonder also about the insulin resistance and hope you will share what you learn. I don't know if it applies to your situation but hyper lipid has written about ' physiological insulin resistence' and that may be interesting for you.

Please keep us updated on your recovery.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
I found a blog recently by Dr. Georgia Ede called Diagnosisiet. She is attempting to lower her blood sugar to the levels a doctor suggested to prevent and/or treat cancer. Google that and you may find it interesting.

Once you find her blog, click on the tag "Cancer".

Last edited by RebeccaLatham; 09-06-2013 at 05:35 AM..
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

You've given me some great resources for reading and it is my intention to follow through. I've read that BG at a level of about 55 is best for thwarting cancer. One author believes that if fat in the diet is kept high enough, then that hypoglycemic level will not cause problems. My experience so far is that I must use more injected insulin to get that low and that can be playing with fire. So, for now, I'm content with BG in the 70's. This is all so interesting, but personally, it would be so advantageous to get that BG low enough to be comfortable refusing chemotherapy if it is suggested (still waiting for results of "Oncotype" evaluation".

I find it amazing that all of the food that at one time made it difficult for me to be faithful to low carbing now have no power over me. When one begins to read about the scientific reasons, reactions, and puzzle pieces of controlling one's metabolism, the attraction of social and traditional eating fades into the background.

I have an appointment with my plastic surgeon this morning to see if all of this pain, drain, and even odor is normal. Perhaps nothing is unexpected, and I just don't know what to expect during recovery.

Jane
Old 09-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I found a blog recently by Dr. Georgia Ede called Diagnosisiet. She is attempting to lower her blood sugar to the levels a doctor suggested to prevent and/or treat cancer. Google that and you may find it interesting.

Once you find her blog, click on the tag "Cancer".

That's funny! Because of the : there was an emoticon put in there!

It should say Diagnosis : Diet
Old 09-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #43
Chatty Cathy

Dr Georgia does a great job of giving a condensed and understandable take on Professor Thomas Seyfried's book "Cancer as a metabolic disease".
Old 09-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

I saw an "on call" breast surgery fellow this morning. I have a Pseudomonas infection. That's a new one to me. Most of the sutures had opened. I now have 2 antibiotics and a follow up appointment for Monday. When my breast surgeon (not the plastic surgeon) called to check on me this afternoon, the first question was about my blood sugar. I like a doctor who understands the importance of this issue.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope it responds to the antibiotics quickly.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Sorry to hear about the infection. On a positive note, your lower BG's mean better healing than you would otherwise have.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Sorry to hear about the infection. On a positive note, your lower BG's mean better healing than you would otherwise have.

Amen! The breast surgeon who removed the tumor and 2 lymph nodes called me late yesterday afternoon after he learned of the infection. He asked me what my BG had been the last few times I checked it. When I told him, he just passed it over as though the diabetes was not the culprit in this case. That felt so good. Whether or not I ever achieve (and I'm not giving up, just spending more time recovering from surgery right now) long term ketosis, my body will be much better off due to less sugar flowing through every cell and wreaking havoc at will.

And congrats to you on your own tight control.

Diabetics can achieve normal BG. We just have to be more vigilant in getting the job done than do non-diabetics.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:32 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy girl View Post
And congrats to you on your own tight control.

Diabetics can achieve normal BG. We just have to be more vigilant in getting the job done than do non-diabetics.
Thanks and I agree absolutely!

Doesn't that give you such a sense of satisfaction when the docs don't immediately go to "well the diabetes is causing/exacerbating the problem"?
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Thanks and I agree absolutely!

Doesn't that give you such a sense of satisfaction when the docs don't immediately go to "well the diabetes is causing/exacerbating the problem"?
Oh, it does. And I think I'll scream is one more "well meaning friend" tells me that this infection is due to diabetes.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
Hi I appreciate your willingness to learn despite all that trouble the disease is giving you.
I have a few cents to throw in too,choose what you like,I don't want to overwhelm you.

1.Have you heard of Cantin ketogenic diet for cancer?
the book is available on Amazon.

2.Jimmy Moore on his site had said something about a Glycosolve that he used for managaing his blood sugar while doing his NK experiment.You may want to look up this on his site and look for n=1 experiments.

3.I also suggest a cookbook called Keto Cookbook which sells for around $30 on Amazon.It has 4:1 ratio of fats to carbs and protein and these recipes are used for controlling epilepsy in kids.So the recipes are supposed to put one in ketosis.

4.Another suggestion is a Fat fast.There is a thread on this board that I posted with some recipes and resources.Dana has come up with a book on that too.Its called Fat Fast cookbook.

5.Finally,my own experience getting into ketosis.Like you I have trouble and after several tweaks found out that I have to to some extremes to kick into ketosis,but once I am there,I can add some more foods and still be in ketosis.Also I have tossed the recommended protein mindset since most are way too high than needed.
Also if you have a req of say ,50 gm protein a day,and then you eat it all at once,in my case,it causes an insulin spike and I gain weight.
From trial and error ,I have found that at a given meal ,I cannot go over 14 gms of protein.
2 eggs ,esp if they are extra large ,can have as much 18-20gms.I can have only 1 egg and then I compensate by adding more fat like cream cheese or butter or HWC to quell my hunger.It works for me.
I highly recommend testing with blood ketone strips so no need of guessing for you.

Meanwhile here are a few menu plans I use personally to get into ketosis.I also keep my max protein under 40 to lose and be in ketosis.Note that this may sound like very little food,but it gives me awesome results.Once you reach the ketosis you want,you can always add more food slowly and find your sweet spot:

day 1-5 meals for the day

bullet proof coffee
1 egg with butter/1oz cream cheese
2oz cheddar cheese
2oz cream cheese
2oz sour cream

day2
hwc coffee-1/4 cup hwc only
2oz any meat with 1oz sour cream
2oz any meat with 1oz cream cheese
2oz cream cheese with a1oz pepperoni made into chips(snack only if too hungry)

day3
bullet proof coffee
hwc coffee
2oz meat with 1oz cream cheese
1oz cheddar with 1oz cream cheese

now you get the idea.I use Eatsmart precision digital scale for quick measuring.
Not a very pleasant diet,but I get into deep ketosis by day 2 or 3 and then I slightly increase foods .
try and let us know.be sure to drink clear salty broth if getting too much keto flu.
All the best on your journey.
180:
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm wondering how you know you're still not in ketosis? Did you get the blood ketone strips?
Old 09-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I'm wondering how you know you're still not in ketosis? Did you get the blood ketone strips?
Guilty! Still using the ketostrips. The thought of the cost just boggles my mind, especially when I'm pretty sure other members of my family would disagree with the purchase. However, I do earn money and am contemplating getting these strips and putting my meter to use. Few people understand the strictness of this WOE and the reason. Sigh
Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Believe me, I get the cost thing. I hate that too, but honestly, I wouldn't rely on ketostix for the answer, or to tweak your diet the way you are. They're so much more likely to give a false negative, and I just wouldn't do it. Some people have definitively been in ketosis for a long time and never once tested positive on them.

Last edited by Ntombi; 09-10-2013 at 12:06 AM..
Old 09-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Believe me, I get the cost thing. I hate that too, but honestly, I wouldn't rely on ketostix for the answer, or to tweak your diet the way you are. They're so much more likely to give a false negative, and I just wouldn't do it. Some people have definitively been in ketosis for a long time and never once tested positive on them.
I'll probably bite the bullet and make the purchase. Staying with the diet is now pretty easy. And I've just about "trained" my family to not look so shocked by the details of this WOE.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
When my husband and I first started Atkins in 2000, he lost all of his excess weight within about three months, and never once registered any ketones in his urine.

I did not lose any weight, and was registering a whole bunch of ketones in my urine.

If the choice is to test urine ketones or test nothing, I would test nothing.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

About $75 for 100 strips from Bayshore in Ca. But they don't shop over the border. I think I'll contact Abbott and see if they offer specials.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy girl View Post
About $75 for 100 strips from Bayshore in Ca. But they don't shop over the border. I think I'll contact Abbott and see if they offer specials.
Which meter do you have?

That's a good price as far as I can tell.

I had no luck at all with the NovaMax meter but really like the Precision Xtra. My strips were $20 for 10 and I bought 60 of them.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, I pay about $2/strip including shipping from universal drug in Canada. I buy them very rarely, and only get ten at a time. But I get them only for convenience and curiosity, since I already know I'm in ketosis. If I weren't sure, I would use them for confirmation.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

I would also like to know where you are getting the cheaper ones. Is Bayshore the name of the company? And are they the strips for the Precision Xtra?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #60
Blabbermouth!!!

I use the Precision Xtra, yes.

Universaldrugstore is the Canadian website I use.