Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Ooh, I went a bit overboard today. We had company for dinner, so I wasn't keeping close track of my food intake. I kept it to 27 net carbs, but my calories were out of sight. Glad there's always tomorrow. On the good side, the 90 minute walk I had with my sister zeroes out the calories and left me with a deficit. I never know how seriously to take calories on NK.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 04:18 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
MaryKate, my parents live in Sequim. I grew up on Bainbridge Island. Nice to meet you.

Hopefully your dinner doesn't show up too much tomorrow (or the next few days,) but we have to eat and we do have to spend time with friends and socialize and sometimes food is in order. Heck, it was dinner and it sounds like you did a good job on the carbs. Sometimes the shock to the system gets things moving too.

I'm going to an ice cream social tonight, ha ha. But the host already knows some people won't eat ice cream, said so out right, and wasn't even talking to me, since people don't really know too much what I'm doing. So I'm not going to let it bother me one bit when I just sip on a bottle of water tonight. It's a group of my dance friends, and I guess it's an evening to enjoy the porch and ice cream, play pool, and even dance if we want to. Now this sounds like fun.

Scale dipped lower this morning and my fingers are crossed that I'm starting to move again after 3 week of very stable. So wish me luck.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
If you make a comment on a thread, then you are "subscribed" to that thread and then you will be notified every time someone else makes a comment.

So if there is a thread that you want to keep up with, just make a comment, even if all the comment is is "sub".

Does that help?
It does! Thanks Rebecca! I wish once you subscribed you could just stay subscribed and receiving posts. I go a couple days and think "geez, I haven't seen anything in a while" and that is why I am here this am! Kathy
Old 08-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Just poppin' in for an afternoon chat.

I know that Bullet Proof Coffee is all the rage, but seriously, that whacks a punch on the caloric scale. I do not like drinking a meal (unless it's wine, of course )

But a coffee sounded good this afternoon, and I'm happy to report I made a Baby Bullet Coffee, and it's going to be my new thing.

I brewed only 1 cup of coffee (half a 4-cup makers worth) and added 1 t of butter, CO, and HWC, and 1 T Torani syrup. It was perfect and came it at just 100 calories. Enough to tide me over till dinner and give me a fat and caffeine boost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did housework today (my house is a sty lately) and listened to Rebecca on Jimmy Moore. Now that was kind of fun. Makes me feel like I know her a little better.

"Hi Rebecca"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to a little more housework.
Annette, you made me LOL! I loved your comment about wine! Good idea about the BPC too! :-))
Kathy
Old 08-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That's fun! I sure didn't know three years ago that I would still not have reached my goal three years later!
Rebecca, my husband has a solution for that. He has always been thin, but struggles a bit more with his weight than he did in his youth. He gets on the scale every morning and if it is over what he considers to be his "Optimum Weight" he tells me he just needs to "adjust his optimum". Always cracks me up. Maybe you need to "adjust your optimum" Kathy
Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
It does! Thanks Rebecca! I wish once you subscribed you could just stay subscribed and receiving posts. I go a couple days and think "geez, I haven't seen anything in a while" and that is why I am here this am! Kathy
Once you are subscribed, you DO stay subscribed and can be notified if someone makes a comment. At the bottom of the thread, you can choose to be notified by email every time someone makes a comment.

Or, when you enter the forum, just click on "User Control Panel" in the dark blue line above and it will show you right in the center of the screen if there have been any new posts.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Rebecca, my husband has a solution for that. He has always been thin, but struggles a bit more with his weight than he did in his youth. He gets on the scale every morning and if it is over what he considers to be his "Optimum Weight" he tells me he just needs to "adjust his optimum". Always cracks me up. Maybe you need to "adjust your optimum" Kathy
I have already adjusted my optimum twice in the past four years.

My doctor wanted me to be 123 pounds with 23% body fat.

I then adjusted that up to 130 pounds with 25% body fat.

Now I have it adjusted to 136 pounds with 30% body fat.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have already adjusted my optimum twice in the past four years.

My doctor wanted me to be 123 pounds with 23% body fat.

I then adjusted that up to 130 pounds with 25% body fat.

Now I have it adjusted to 136 pounds with 30% body fat.
Oh! Rut Row! How tall are you?? Kathy
Old 08-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Once you are subscribed, you DO stay subscribed and can be notified if someone makes a comment. At the bottom of the thread, you can choose to be notified by email every time someone makes a comment.

Or, when you enter the forum, just click on "User Control Panel" in the dark blue line above and it will show you right in the center of the screen if there have been any new posts.
Ahhhhhhh, did not know these things! I am still looking for this part " At the bottom of the thread, you can choose to be notified by email every time someone makes a comment" Thanks Rebecca! Kathy
Old 08-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh! Rut Row! How tall are you?? Kathy
I am 5'3".
Old 08-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ahhhhhhh, did not know these things! I am still looking for this part " At the bottom of the thread, you can choose to be notified by email every time someone makes a comment" Thanks Rebecca! Kathy
Okay, try this:

Near the top of the thread, there is a blue line that contains "Thread Tools". Click on that, subscribe to the thread, and then choose what way you want to be notified.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Okay, try this:

Near the top of the thread, there is a blue line that contains "Thread Tools". Click on that, subscribe to the thread, and then choose what way you want to be notified.
Well evidently I am subscribed correctly, thanks Rebecca! Kathy
Old 08-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am 5'3".

Ohhhhhhh, me too. We's not fat, we's just short for our weight!
Kathy
Old 08-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

You're welcome, Kathy!

Remind me - how far are you from your goal?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Went to a little party/get-together with a bunch of dance pals, and didn't participate in the ice cream social. I didn't even eat any veggies and dip. I had had my dinner already, I don't need to eat to socialize (whoa...did I say that?) I did have a diet coke though (and I had a giant one early today too, ouch.)

Had a nice evening, even got to do a few line dances.

I'm hungry now though and it's bed time. Let's hope for a tiny loss tomorrow, one can always hope.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
MaryKate, my parents live in Sequim. I grew up on Bainbridge Island. Nice to meet you.
You too, Annette! Most people don't have the first clue where Sequim is. Funny thing is, I moved here from Kansas.

Quote:
Sometimes the shock to the system gets things moving too.
I think that's what happened with me. After three days of basically turtling I woke up to a 1-lb. loss.

Quote:
I'm going to an ice cream social tonight, ha ha. But the host already knows some people won't eat ice cream
Have you considered taking along some low-carb ice cream? I try to plan ahead for parties; in case the goodies look too good to resist I'll have a low-carb treat along with me. Since my fallback for potlucks is cheesecake, I'm usually getting envious looks. ;D

Quote:
Scale dipped lower this morning and my fingers are crossed that I'm starting to move again after 3 week of very stable. So wish me luck.
Good luck! Let's hope it's the start of a losing trend.

Last edited by MerryKate; 08-13-2013 at 11:11 PM..
Old 08-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You're welcome, Kathy!

Remind me - how far are you from your goal?
Not sure of my goal Rebecca! I am at 125.5 and likely will keep it around there hopefully, but it is truly a struggle to maintain OR lose! Kathy
Old 08-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
"One of her "things" recently is that she obsesses about going to the bathroom and says she has to go every 15 minutes all day long. It wears everyone down."

Does she have a bladder infection? If you swim in a pool, they are easy to get.
Carolyn
Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

No, she has dementia, and the meds they have her on are making her obsessive/compulsive.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Good evening everyone. Looks like I'm skipping dinner tonight. I had a massive late lunch thinking I'd be all numbed up after my crown prep, and I didn't get numbed since the tooth had a recent root canal.

Dang, and dinner smells delicious too.

Oh well.

Dancing tonight.

Maybe I'll have just a little taste.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Not sure of my goal Rebecca! I am at 125.5 and likely will keep it around there hopefully, but it is truly a struggle to maintain OR lose! Kathy
Sounds to me like you're in a good place to maintain. Phinney & Volek's recommendation is to increase carbs to a level that does not cause weight gain, then add fat to make up the rest of calories needed for maintenance. It will probably take a bit of experimenting to find your numbers.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Sounds to me like you're in a good place to maintain. Phinney & Volek's recommendation is to increase carbs to a level that does not cause weight gain, then add fat to make up the rest of calories needed for maintenance. It will probably take a bit of experimenting to find your numbers.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Kathy, I'm going to agree with MerryKate about just working on maintaining. We don't want this to be a struggle. (I say this now....eek)

I don't know how tall you are, your weight sounds like a good one unless you are super tiny.

I've been reading the book "Trick or Treat" by Barry Groves, and he has a lot of interesting stuff in it and I really need to rethink some of my goals. I'm going to quote what I highlighted (in my new Kindle, how cool.)

Quote:
Being overweight is not as bad as you might think. Indeed, the healthiest weight is the the 'normal BMI between 18.5 and 25; it is actually the 'overweight' BMI range of between 25 and 30. It seems that being thin is 25 % more dangerous than being the government recommended 'healthy' weight. Thinness is riskiest of all for those over age 60 and puts that at double the risk of 'normal' weight people. It's even riskier than being very obese (BMI over 35.)
My weight has just gone under 150 lbs and I'm 5'5" (age 50), and my BMI has just dropped under 25. I also know BMI is a very inaccurate measure of health and fitness. I am not a large woman, my muscle mass is fairly low. I'm always fascinated how people have such different body types, body fat not being even accounted for. Some people are just thicker, they have larger bones and muscles. Others are thin and delicate. So this is where body fat comes into play.

So though my BMI is in range finally, I know my bodyfat isn't. But maybe I don't need to go as low as I had hoped to. I truly want to be healthy, but it's also easier to accept as I lose weight and feel better about myself.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

I was going to post that I'm still showing ketones, my weight has dropped a tad and I really have nothing exciting to talk about. It's always nice to see a drop, it's the prize we crave.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Kathy, I'm going to agree with MerryKate about just working on maintaining. We don't want this to be a struggle. (I say this now....eek)

I don't know how tall you are, your weight sounds like a good one unless you are super tiny.

I've been reading the book "Trick or Treat" by Barry Groves, and he has a lot of interesting stuff in it and I really need to rethink some of my goals. I'm going to quote what I highlighted (in my new Kindle, how cool.)

My weight has just gone under 150 lbs and I'm 5'5" (age 50), and my BMI has just dropped under 25. I also know BMI is a very inaccurate measure of health and fitness. I am not a large woman, my muscle mass is fairly low. I'm always fascinated how people have such different body types, body fat not being even accounted for. Some people are just thicker, they have larger bones and muscles. Others are thin and delicate. So this is where body fat comes into play.

So though my BMI is in range finally, I know my bodyfat isn't. But maybe I don't need to go as low as I had hoped to. I truly want to be healthy, but it's also easier to accept as I lose weight and feel better about myself.
I would love to be 150 pounds right now. I haven't been that low since I was in my 40's. I am 5' 4" and now in my 50's. I think you should not worry about BMI, but think about how you feel. You can increase your muscle mass by doing some weight bearing exercise such as Pilates.
Carolyn
Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ohhhhhhh, me too. We's not fat, we's just short for our weight!
Kathy
I think that you are thin.
Carolyn
Old 08-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No, she has dementia, and the meds they have her on are making her obsessive/compulsive.
How do you know if the meds don't make her feel like she has to go? My mom died from Alzheimer's and she just could not communicate how things were for her. Just saying.
Carolyn
Old 08-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
I would love to be 150 pounds right now. I haven't been that low since I was in my 40's. I am 5' 4" and now in my 50's. I think you should not worry about BMI, but think about how you feel. You can increase your muscle mass by doing some weight bearing exercise such as Pilates.
Carolyn
Carolyn, two years ago at this time I was down to 126, seriously. I had dieted and exercised my way down from 182 lbs. I looked good (probably a tad too skinny though.) I had hoped to stabilize at 130. I was gaining back within 6 months. At least time time I stopped myself at 165 from gaining any more.

My Weight Watchers goal weight was always 138, which I feel is a really good weight for me, or under. The 130's are my best range and my body fat is then in the 25-30% range. That's what I'm thinking I'm still aiming for.

I do need to do more weight workouts, I get lazy though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Came home from my eye doctor appointment and am wearing a single contact. I've never worn any contacts, and only readers lately. This is a weird experience, but I can see my computer right now.

I'm going to go paint the house somemore in a bit.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
How do you know if the meds don't make her feel like she has to go? My mom died from Alzheimer's and she just could not communicate how things were for her. Just saying.
Carolyn
No, she is not having to go. She is being OCD. It's very sad.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think that you are thin.
I second that motion. I know there's a push to be as thin as you possibly can be, but your body may have other ideas. At a certain point, if you're doing everything right and still not losing, you may need to accept that you're at your body's ideal weight, even if it doesn't match the number in your head.

More than anything else, measure your success by your health. If you can go out and dance, or garden, or play golf, or whatever you love to do that makes you feel alive, you're in good shape. Your weight is just numbers on a scale.
Closed Thread