Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I have BPC every morning, too. I use an Aeropress to make low-acid coffee, then blend it with coconut oil and kerrygold unsalted butter in my magic bullet. It usually keeps me going for a few hours. Ketosis really kicked in today - it was after 1:30 when I remembered I needed to eat something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindawell8 View Post
I have never been a coffee lover. But I love this.
FWIW, you can make bulletproof tea as well if you're not a coffee drinker. I like it with Yogi Hazelnut Vanilla tea - it's caffeine-free and comes out tasting like butterscotch.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
All of the "mis-eating" that I do when I am there is 100% my own fault. It's just that I get into the hopelessness of that household and nothing else seems to matter when I am there. And then, even on the drive back home, I start kicking myself and wondering why I let myself eat what I did.
I can understand this. I feel the same mental pressure to eat like everyone else when I visit family or eat out with friends, and I'm not even dealing with the caregiver stress you've got. There's an unspoken message that you're being weird, or selfish, or rude by not eating what everyone else is having.

But you do need to eat what is best for your body, regardless of your sister's condition. Maybe approaching it from a positive view would help. When you start hearing the negative messages in your mind, focus on the fact that you're doing something good for yourself by eating low-carb. This will help you stay strong to help her.

Quote:
When my sister stayed with me for a week about a month or so ago, I fed her a ketogenic diet. She came to my house looking like skin and bones, and while she was with me, she gained 9 pounds in one week!
Did the ketogenic diet help her at all during that week? Could get her family to watch the TED video on your site? I found it very persuasive.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I have BPC every morning, too. I use an Aeropress to make low-acid coffee, then blend it with coconut oil and kerrygold unsalted butter in my magic bullet. It usually keeps me going for a few hours. Ketosis really kicked in today - it was after 1:30 when I remembered I needed to eat something!

FWIW, you can make bulletproof tea as well if you're not a coffee drinker. I like it with Yogi Hazelnut Vanilla tea - it's caffeine-free and comes out tasting like butterscotch.
I wondered about that this morning for my DIL! Thanks! Kathy
Old 08-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
At my lowest weight last summer, I was only a few ounces above my goal weight. I maintained that for a few months, and then the holidays came and vacation came, and I gained back around 12 pounds.

And yes, I gain weight from eating veggies, too.

While I am there, I help however I can and stay with my sister so that my brother-in-law can leave the house to run errands. When he is at home alone with her, and a lot of the time, she can't leave the house, so he can't run errands, go shopping, etc., without having to drag her along with her being traumatized and crying out loud in public.

Mainly what we do at her house is watch TV and eat. She has a pool, and if she is feeling well enough, we'll go swimming.

One of her "things" recently is that she obsesses about going to the bathroom and says she has to go every 15 minutes all day long. It wears everyone down.

But on a more positive note, I am really going to try hard this trip not to eat the wrong things. If I limit myself to meat, eggs and cheese, I think I will do okay.
Hang in there, you are a good "doo-bee" for helping out! You can DO THIS!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Wow, so many things to comment on and I forgot to click the quote thingy.

Rebecca, I am so sorry to hear all you're going through with your family and sister. I wish you strength this weekend. We can't change others, no matter how hard we want to. And it truly sounds like you have tried hard by your sister. Stay strong and at least take care of yourself.

Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts after my breakdown yesterday. I feel better today, and only a little tender. I finished the last glass of wine so it's out of the house. My husband had one glass yesterday, so at least I didn't suck down the entire thing myself.

I ate today to satisfaction, it always does me well to not restrict. At the same time, my weight doesn't go down unless I restrict. Carbs today were one salad at lunch (meal sized,) 1 oz of nuts and 18 g of dark chocolate. Heck, that's next to nothing....oh and the 4 oz of wine.

Dancing tonight again.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Even in ketosis and a fully fatty breakfast or BPC, I'm still hungry much earlier than that. I never can go very long between meals. If I eat breakfast at 7 AM I get my first hunger twinges by 10:30. No matter what I eat.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Quote:
Linda and April, I think you might have misunderstood what I meant if you think that my family is showing me disrespect. It is just that it is not about me when I am there. It is all about my sister and her care is all-consuming.

All of the "mis-eating" that I do when I am there is 100% my own fault. It's just that I get into the hopelessness of that household and nothing else seems to matter when I am there. And then, even on the drive back home, I start kicking myself and wondering why I let myself eat what I did.

The only thing I have "against" my sister's family is that they are not open to hearing about a nutritional approach to her illness. They are all 100% influenced by the doctors who treat my sister, and who are they going to believe - the doctors who went to medical school for years and years, or me, who read something on the internet?

When my sister stayed with me for a week about a month or so ago, I fed her a ketogenic diet. She came to my house looking like skin and bones, and while she was with me, she gained 9 pounds in one week! When she got back home, I heard her husband tell her that he was going to put her on a diet because she was getting fat.
I understand what you mean, sorry about that. Hope all goes well for you!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
When I get home from my trip I will try the tea .Thanks MerryKate.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
I can understand this. I feel the same mental pressure to eat like everyone else when I visit family or eat out with friends, and I'm not even dealing with the caregiver stress you've got. There's an unspoken message that you're being weird, or selfish, or rude by not eating what everyone else is having.
That's it exactly! Sometimes I feel like no one takes me seriously because I "eat weird".

Quote:
But you do need to eat what is best for your body, regardless of your sister's condition. Maybe approaching it from a positive view would help. When you start hearing the negative messages in your mind, focus on the fact that you're doing something good for yourself by eating low-carb. This will help you stay strong to help her.
A weird thing about this is that I truly believe that if she had been eating right all these years that she would be well today. And, even believing this, when I am at her house, I eat candy, knowing that candy is part of the reason she is ill, and if I eat candy, I could get ill, too. It just goes to show you how hopeless it is over there, that even eating poison seems like an okay thing to do.

But not this time!

Quote:
Did the ketogenic diet help her at all during that week? Could get her family to watch the TED video on your site? I found it very persuasive.
It's hard to say if it helped. She was going through a bad medication adjustment at the time and things were really messed up. Plus, it can take weeks and months before you might see any changes.

No, they will not watch anything or read anything. I bought the family the book "Alzheimer's - What If There Was a Cure and Nobody Knew?" and they will not read it.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Good Saturday morning to everyone. Hope your day is a good one.

Dancing was great last night, I can truly feel my body using the fat for energy. We danced hard from 7-10, and I could have kept going.

My ketones were good this morning at 2.2. I ate lots of chicken at dinner last night, probably 8-10 oz. My blood sugar was up a bit, but the ketones too.

I never seem to be able to figure out any rhyme or reason with my numbers. I'm happy they are good numbers right now though.

My weight is too stable right now though, and that's what's on my mind. I posted about that in my journal this morning, so I'm not repeating.

I'm needing to change something, I believe, and I'm thinking I might need to make it be more exercise. That might be my only compromise right now, as I don't seem to be able to change the diet anymore. I'm happy with it right now.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Even in ketosis and a fully fatty breakfast or BPC, I'm still hungry much earlier than that. I never can go very long between meals. If I eat breakfast at 7 AM I get my first hunger twinges by 10:30. No matter what I eat.
Ah well, I'm on vacation so I didn't get up until 9 a.m. yesterday. In my daily life I eat breakfast around 7:30 and need a snack by 11 a.m. And also fwiw, I had about 700 calories for breakfast between an omelette, sausages and the BPC. But let hunger be your guide – everyone is different.

I was reading an interesting article the other day about the difference between american and french diets. The french eat the bulk of their calories before 2 p.m., and have only a small meal at night, well before 8 p.m. They also take time over their meals, with a number of small courses stretched out over an hour. Considering that they don't have the obesity levels we do in America, I think they may be onto something. So for the next week I'm trying to follow that plan in timing my meals. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited by MerryKate; 08-10-2013 at 10:55 PM..
Old 08-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Hi everyone, I will be leaving at six in the morning to go to cabin wont have service there so wont beable to check in. But have all my food ready to go. I will also swim and walk alot. I will miss reading the post, they are encouraging.anyway see you all Fri.

Linda
Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

I just posted my update on my progress doing zero on my other thread here. It was too long to post twice, so here is the link if you want to see how I am doing.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

I got through the first day at my sister's house without going off of my eating plan, and was rewarded by my measuring tape this morning.

This having diabetes thing is great! I am not tempted at all to eat the candy and ice cream that is in this house. Blessing in disguise!
Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I got through the first day at my sister's house without going off of my eating plan, and was rewarded by my measuring tape this morning.

This having diabetes thing is great! I am not tempted at all to eat the candy and ice cream that is in this house. Blessing in disguise!

Yay! Way to go!

Off topic question- what do ya'll use Coconut Cream Concentrate for?
I bought some and am not sure what to do with it??? Suggestions? Kathy
Old 08-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
Yay! Way to go!

Off topic question- what do ya'll use Coconut Cream Concentrate for?
I bought some and am not sure what to do with it??? Suggestions? Kathy

I don't buy it, but my daughter-in-law uses is in her coffee.
Carolyn
Old 08-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Is coconut cream concentrate different from the coconut cream that comes in cans? I use it in place of hwc when I need to keep my dairy intake down - in coffee, desserts, even in thai stir fry. Yummy stuff.

After my re-induction week I'm down 4 lbs., most of which I lost in the first 4 days. I tested my blood yesterday and it was at 0.7 ketones, so I'm definitely in ketosis, albeit on the low side. But I've hit the slow down and of course I'm getting impatient to see another loss. It gets hard to stay off the scale when every day brings another pound lost, and even harder when I start turtling.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

MaryKate, I bought coconut cream at Trader Joes once, it can in a can, and was good, but I got sick of it quite quickly. I also bought coconut cream in a glass jar (forgot the brand but everyone raved about it) and it too kind of yucked me out after a bit. Artisan, that's the name.

I guess it's just not my thing.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
This did make me chuckle. Even though I don't want to be a diabetic, my numbers on a regular diet are in range.....so.....what does that imply?

My doctor wouldn't "label" me which I guess is good. She specifically said, "you know what you have to eat to keep your blood sugar down."

And guess what, after a few months I got bored and quit low carbing, and ate and ate and ate more crap and put on 30 lbs again and you know what my BS did.

I'd do well with the label...lol. At the same time, she's right, it's good for me to just control it as I need to. But I do know it would be easy for me to be a true diabetic on a normal diet.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Did my weekly update. Here's the link to my log. Rebecca stopped by to sub. I don't have as much fancy data.

I'm comfortably in ketosis, so I obviously have to do something more to lose weight. What? Like not eat so much....egads.

Spent the morning painting the house (outside) and just had lunch and we'll go to a movie in a bit. Maybe I'll paint some more this afternoon, or not.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

I was told about being diabetic verbally, but it did not go into my chart, which is good.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
I don't buy it, but my daughter-in-law uses is in her coffee.
Carolyn
Okay thanks! Kathy
Old 08-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Did my weekly update. Here's the link to my log. Rebecca stopped by to sub. I don't have as much fancy data.

I'm comfortably in ketosis, so I obviously have to do something more to lose weight. What? Like not eat so much....egads.

Spent the morning painting the house (outside) and just had lunch and we'll go to a movie in a bit. Maybe I'll paint some more this afternoon, or not.

What is "sub" Kathy
Old 08-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
What is "sub" Kathy
If you make a comment on a thread, then you are "subscribed" to that thread and then you will be notified every time someone else makes a comment.

So if there is a thread that you want to keep up with, just make a comment, even if all the comment is is "sub".

Does that help?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Yawning my may into the day. Good morning everyone.

Nothing exciting to talk about. I'm feeling strong and stable, today is going to be a fine day.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
That's it exactly! Sometimes I feel like no one takes me seriously because I "eat weird".

A weird thing about this is that I truly believe that if she had been eating right all these years that she would be well today. And, even believing this, when I am at her house, I eat candy, knowing that candy is part of the reason she is ill, and if I eat candy, I could get ill, too. It just goes to show you how hopeless it is over there, that even eating poison seems like an okay thing to do.

But not this time!
I know how you feel. We went to a BBQ at my husband's supervisor's house. They asked us to bring something, so we did. We did not eat because it was after 6 pm and we don't eat after that time. One person wanted us to try a tortilla chip that they liked and we said no, thank you. He acted like we slapped him in the face. He said, "Don't you splurge once in a while?" We told him no. I don't know why people have to be food pushers. Anyway, be strong and stand up for what you believe. Nobody can make you eat anything. As far as changing your sister's diet goes, it is out of your hands. You just have to let go.
Carolyn
Old 08-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #117
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal

Here is how to subscribe to a thread:
Low Carb Friends - FAQ: User Profile Features

What are subscriptions?

Subscriptions are a way of keeping track of different threads or forums. You can choose how you are notified about updates - for example by having them listed in your User CP and receiving email updates for each one.

How do I subscribe to a thread or forum?

To subscribe to a forum, click the 'Forum Tools' link above the list of threads then select 'Subscribe to Forum'. You will then have the option to choose the subscription mode for this forum. If the forum that you are subscribing to has any child forums (forums within a forum) then your subscription will be extended to these automatically.

To subscribe to a thread, click the 'Thread Tools' link at the top of the list of posts then click 'Subscribe to Thread'. You can then choose the subscription mode that you wish to use for that thread.

What subscription modes are available?

There are a number of different forum subscription modes available.

No Email Notification - lists the subscription in your User CP only. You do not receive any notifications about new posts or threads in the forum.
Daily Email Notification - sends one email a day with the new and updated threads in the forum and any sub-forums. If there are no new or updated threads in the forum or its sub-forums then you will not receive an email.
Weekly Email Notification - sends one email per week in the same way as the Daily Email Notification.
Thread Subscriptions have the same options as forum subscriptions with the following additional option:

Instant Email Notification - sends an email as soon as a new post is added to the thread. This is not sent for every reply and will only be sent once until you revisit the forums.
How do I manage Subscriptions and Folders?

Thread subscriptions can be sorted into folders for easy management. You can create as many folders as you wish by going to 'Edit Folders' in the 'Subscribed Threads' section of your User CP. To add a new folder, enter the folder name into one of the blank boxes and save the page. To delete a folder, delete the folder name. Editing a folder is done by simply editing the folder name in the list.

You can also manage your individual subscriptions by clicking 'List Subscriptions' under 'Subscribed Threads' in your User CP. Here you can select which subscriptions you wish to manage and delete them, move them to another folder, or change their subscription type.

Forum subscriptions are not managed through the List Subscriptions page and are shown on the User CP page where they contain the option to unsubscribe from the forum.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Just poppin' in for an afternoon chat.

I know that Bullet Proof Coffee is all the rage, but seriously, that whacks a punch on the caloric scale. I do not like drinking a meal (unless it's wine, of course )

But a coffee sounded good this afternoon, and I'm happy to report I made a Baby Bullet Coffee, and it's going to be my new thing.

I brewed only 1 cup of coffee (half a 4-cup makers worth) and added 1 t of butter, CO, and HWC, and 1 T Torani syrup. It was perfect and came it at just 100 calories. Enough to tide me over till dinner and give me a fat and caffeine boost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did housework today (my house is a sty lately) and listened to Rebecca on Jimmy Moore. Now that was kind of fun. Makes me feel like I know her a little better.

"Hi Rebecca"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to a little more housework.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
One person wanted us to try a tortilla chip that they liked and we said no, thank you. He acted like we slapped him in the face. He said, "Don't you splurge once in a while?" We told him no. I don't know why people have to be food pushers.
Carolyn
I've seen that look! I got it once for telling someone that my husband was prediabetic and could not have cake and ice cream. Sheesh.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I did housework today (my house is a sty lately) and listened to Rebecca on Jimmy Moore. Now that was kind of fun. Makes me feel like I know her a little better.

"Hi Rebecca"
That's fun! I sure didn't know three years ago that I would still not have reached my goal three years later!
Closed Thread