Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindawell8 View Post
Hi Rebecca, I get so excited when somebody says hi. I am not very good at doing this. I love this way of eating. But I got scared of gainning fat. Which is not true. My sugar was awesome when I followed the plan. That is why I am back. Found out I missed the fat and just felt better all over. This time I am going to do it all the way. Nothing else works for me.
Linda
Well, then, I wish you all the best this time around! What was it that made you stop after it was working the first time? If you don't mind me asking...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
No I dont mind. I always worried I would gain fat. Even of my sugar was good.On another diet I had lost over 50lbs. But my sugar wasnt stable. And I was never satisfied.r I have managed to keep the weight off, with much struggling. And reading these forums alot. I really do know this is the best way for weightloss and health. I have done so many different diets. It really does work . And I wished I hadnt wasted time.
My mom died with diabetis and alshiemers. Andy dad of open heart surgery at 62. So I need to get this right.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
Sometimes I miss my sweet potatos. When I lose all the weight, I will have one once a week again. Those and avocados and almonds are my favorite.
Carolyn
Those are EXACTLY the best.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Hi all,

I'm one of the people who used to be on this board every day. I fell off the wagon about 6 weeks ago, but I'm back and making slow progress. I've lost 2 lbs. in the first 2 days, but it's been a struggle. I really want to eat all those lovely carbs I've been consuming with abandon lately. I know in the long run I'm better off, so I will stick to it ... I just have to find better ways of coping with stress!
Old 08-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Hi all,

I'm one of the people who used to be on this board every day. I fell off the wagon about 6 weeks ago, but I'm back and making slow progress. I've lost 2 lbs. in the first 2 days, but it's been a struggle. I really want to eat all those lovely carbs I've been consuming with abandon lately. I know in the long run I'm better off, so I will stick to it ... I just have to find better ways of coping with stress!
Welcome back. You will thank yourself in the end by giving up the carbs.
Carolyn
Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No I dont mind. I always worried I would gain fat. Even of my sugar was good.On another diet I had lost over 50lbs. But my sugar wasnt stable. And I was never satisfied.r I have managed to keep the weight off, with much struggling. And reading these forums alot. I really do know this is the best way for weightloss and health. I have done so many different diets. It really does work . And I wished I hadnt wasted time.
My mom died with diabetis and alshiemers. Andy dad of open heart surgery at 62. So I need to get this right.
You are so right. It is so much better to eat the right things to take care of our health. No food is worth being sick all of the time. Good health is a good thing.
Carolyn
Old 08-07-2013, 03:07 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I do so much tracking that it's almost ridiculous.

Anyone trying to duplicate what I do would probably find it a little bit much. It has become almost a hobby to me.
When I first started, I tracked everything very closely. I wanted to find out how my body responded to my food. I even made up an Excel spread sheet to do all my addition for me. Now I just keep track in my head, because I remember how much of everything is in the food I eat. Numbers are my favorite thing. Anyway, I understand what you mean by it being a hobby.
Carolyn
Old 08-07-2013, 03:12 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Good Morning NKers!

I feel more motivated now with so many of us are doing this together!

I cut out veggies for my weight loss phase too, Rebecca. And if I'm smart I'll keep dairy out, or at the very least stick to 2 Tbsp with my coffee in the AM. I have always had a clear cut intolerance to dairy, but seem to have chose to forget that over the past two weeks.

Martha, I'm sorry about your father's battle with Alzheimer's , that must be very hard on you. I am hoping the coconut oil will offer us all the benefits we've heard about, and Rebecca has posted in her blog, great info there.

P L A N, for Success!

Nothing is impossible, the word tells you itself:

I'm possible.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hang in there!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:05 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
When I first started, I tracked everything very closely. I wanted to find out how my body responded to my food. I even made up an Excel spread sheet to do all my addition for me. Now I just keep track in my head, because I remember how much of everything is in the food I eat. Numbers are my favorite thing. Anyway, I understand what you mean by it being a hobby.
Carolyn
Ah, a kindred spirit!

By the way, my spreadsheet can beat up your spreadsheet!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:17 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
My sisters and their caregivers do not believe the research about ketones, so the answer to that question is a very sad "no".
This is sad. Especially when it seems like the simple addition of CO or MCT oil daily and dropping "some" of the worst carbs may be all a person needs to do to stave off these horrible diseases. And I mean a person who doesn't have any "brain diseases" yet.

There isn't any alzheimers/etc. in my family and I'm so grateful. My parents did experiment with the low-fat diets years back when Pritikin was popular, but my mom would never give up her cheese. They were/are health food junkies and would try new things, but today eat a low carb diet. I don't know about the fat though. My dad's family has diabetes, and years ago he was told he was pre-diabetic, and started low-carb and now just controls by diet.

That's pretty much where I am now too. With previous fasting numbers over 130, I realized I'm diabetic, though the doctor never "labeled" me. She know I can control it with my diet, and told me "I know what I need to do to keep my numbers down." The endocrinologist I have just started to see says he believes we need to eat a low carb diet, and that "bread is poisonous." I look forward to having him as my doctor too.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
Good Morning NKers!

I feel more motivated now with so many of us are doing this together!

I cut out veggies for my weight loss phase too, Rebecca. And if I'm smart I'll keep dairy out, or at the very least stick to 2 Tbsp with my coffee in the AM. I have always had a clear cut intolerance to dairy, but seem to have chose to forget that over the past two weeks.

Martha, I'm sorry about your father's battle with Alzheimer's , that must be very hard on you. I am hoping the coconut oil will offer us all the benefits we've heard about, and Rebecca has posted in her blog, great info there.
I too am excited with people posting. It is motivating to have the support of others.

I personally don't know how you guys cut out veggies. I get so bored without them. I will admit that my ultimate goal is to be able to have more variety in my meals once I'm at goal weight (as long as my Blood sugar is stable) and hope to be able to eat some fruit (ha ha), yogurt, cottage cheese, more nuts, even the occasional dessert, and alcohol. This is what frightens me, that I still want to be able to do those things, yet it's the reason I'm never able to maintain. It will be rough, but I have to do it.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
This is sad. Especially when it seems like the simple addition of CO or MCT oil daily and dropping "some" of the worst carbs may be all a person needs to do to stave off these horrible diseases. And I mean a person who doesn't have any "brain diseases" yet.

There isn't any alzheimers/etc. in my family and I'm so grateful. My parents did experiment with the low-fat diets years back when Pritikin was popular, but my mom would never give up her cheese. They were/are health food junkies and would try new things, but today eat a low carb diet. I don't know about the fat though. My dad's family has diabetes, and years ago he was told he was pre-diabetic, and started low-carb and now just controls by diet.

That's pretty much where I am now too. With previous fasting numbers over 130, I realized I'm diabetic, though the doctor never "labeled" me. She know I can control it with my diet, and told me "I know what I need to do to keep my numbers down." The endocrinologist I have just started to see says he believes we need to eat a low carb diet, and that "bread is poisonous." I look forward to having him as my doctor too.
Good for your doc!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Good Morning "everybuddy"- good to see so many here already today! Love hearing everyones journey! Kathy
Old 08-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Good morning, Kathy! I'm happy to be here, too!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Rebecca, Kathy, Kate, Carolyn, Martha, and Linda,

I'm excited to know that Rebecca and Annette have doctors recommending diet changes other then low fat. I've been disappointed in the medical communities inability to acknowledge any benefit of our WOE. Or worse yet being chastised by a doctor for my WOE, luckily I am an advocate for me and can walk away knowing that I'm doing what's best for me. Maybe one day I'll find a doctor who will see eye to eye with me, but if not I will continue my journey knowing that this is what is in my best interest.

Annette, it was hard for me to give up veggies, but I know it's best for me. And I'll use my BS levels to help me add back in veggies when I'm ready.

I'm down another .6 today. So removing dairy and just consuming meat and eggs for the past four days have gotten me back on track, Phew! I'm planning on sticking to this for as long as I can tolerate it.

What are you all eating today?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

PS: Good morning to any lurkers, too
Old 08-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Today, I am eating like this:

1445 calories
123g fat (76.5%)
80g protein (22.2%)
5g carbs (1.3%)

Breakfast was cod liver oil and ground beef with butter, sea salt and garlic powder.

Lunch will be homemade beef brone broth with sea salt, my "Sunrise Cocktail" (oil, lemon juice and Stevia) and 2 of my Fat Bombs.

Dinner will be broiled cod with butter, sea salt and paprika.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Today, I am eating like this:

1445 calories
123g fat (76.5%)
80g protein (22.2%)
5g carbs (1.3%)

Breakfast was cod liver oil and ground beef with butter, sea salt and garlic powder.

Lunch will be homemade beef brone broth with sea salt, my "Sunrise Cocktail" (oil, lemon juice and Stevia) and 2 of my Fat Bombs.

Dinner will be broiled cod with butter, sea salt and paprika.
Sounds delicious!

Is your "Sunrise Cocktail a sauce or a drink? Can you elaborate on what type of oil and how you prepare it?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
Sounds delicious!

Is your "Sunrise Cocktail a sauce or a drink? Can you elaborate on what type of oil and how you prepare it?
Sunrise Cocktail

1 Tbs. MCT oil (or coconut oil)
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. lemon juice
5 drops Stevia

Put it in a little cup with a lid and shake for 30 seconds. Drink.

This is one of the recipes in the book "Fat Fast Recipes" that I am a co-author of.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

I'll look it up tonight, Thanks for the recipe! I was reading your blog last night and will continue tonight, I'm so grateful to you for keeping such a detailed account of your journey, it's really interesting and helpful!

Cheers
Old 08-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone, it is a good day. Because I am doing the best thing for me. By following this way of eating. It sure helps to read all of the posts.

I am going to a nature path Dr. today. I have vertigo. Been dizzy for a couple of months. We are going to our kids cabin on Sun. The grandkids want me to get in a canoe on the
lake. So I would like not to be dizzy. Anyway will see what he says. There is just so many reasons for me to eat this way.

I am really excited to do it for the long haul. But it is more fun with all of you. So happy eating.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi everyone, it is a good day. Because I am doing the best thing for me. By following this way of eating. It sure helps to read all of the posts.

I am going to a nature path Dr. today. I have vertigo. Been dizzy for a couple of months. We are going to our kids cabin on Sun. The grandkids want me to get in a canoe on the
lake. So I would like not to be dizzy. Anyway will see what he says. There is just so many reasons for me to eat this way.

I am really excited to do it for the long haul. But it is more fun with all of you. So happy eating.
Try adding more salt to your diet. When we eat very low carb our body releases more water. Salt will help hang on the the water and potassium that your body needs. You can get more salt by making broth and drinking it. Also you can do like me and sprinkle some salt into your hand and eat it. Then drink water.
Carolyn
Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/129.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Subbing
Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Carolyn, I will try that. Trying to get few days under my belt before we go to the cabin. Anything anybody has to offer as advice is more than welcome. I know that this is a journey and I cant get into a hurry this time. I am such a patient person. LOL Always working on that Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

April, I've gone all day with no veggies. Let's just say, I'm not too happy. Dinner will have veggies. I just got home from work, and I'm starving actually as I haven't had enough food in general. Now I'm having coffee with 1T butter and 1T MCT oil. Let's see if I get some energy. Just the caffeine alone should help as I have gone caffeine free, for the most part (just the occasional coffee that isn't decaf.

My blood sugar was 88, felt it should be lower, but I know the body pumps out some glucose or something or other when needed, I can never remember the whole process.

I had eggs/butter/cream for breakfast, and cheese and salmon for lunch, now my oils. I'm not sure what dinner is yet, but I'll try to keep the veggies on the low side (unless it's salad) and the oil high.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Oh, yea...I remember what I wanted to chat about.

Okay, so you know how you'll have a day and you feel all skinny and your pants are hanging on you (that's why you feel skinny.) Then you walk by a window in a store or something, see your reflection and realize you aren't quite as skinny as you thought, and then you are all bummed out.

Ugh, happened to me.

Then I went into Macy's and bought myself 4 new tops and they look cute on me. And I'll wear one tonight out dancing.

I need to remember to treat myself more often as it does make me feel good.

And the tops looked so much better on me now than a couple months ago.

It's time for me to go through the closet and pack away the stuff that is too big. Even though my numbers don't seem to be dropping, the clothes are hanging. I'm ready for the size 10 slacks, the 12's today look much too droopy on my bum.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Quote:
And I'll wear one tonight out dancing.

Dancing is payoff for all the crap you have to endure, being one of these human beings. Have a good, good time.

Martha
Old 08-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Annette, sorry it was a tough day, the dancing will be a great treat!

I laughed when you wrote about feeling good then catching a glimpse. It just happened to me the other day. Ha! Then I remember that I've come a long way, but I have a looooonnnngggg way to go.

Off to catch some Shark Week!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, yea...I remember what I wanted to chat about.

Okay, so you know how you'll have a day and you feel all skinny and your pants are hanging on you (that's why you feel skinny.) Then you walk by a window in a store or something, see your reflection and realize you aren't quite as skinny as you thought, and then you are all bummed out.

Ugh, happened to me.

Then I went into Macy's and bought myself 4 new tops and they look cute on me. And I'll wear one tonight out dancing.

And the tops looked so much better on me now than a couple months ago.

It's time for me to go through the closet and pack away the stuff that is too big. Even though my numbers don't seem to be dropping, the clothes are hanging. I'm ready for the size 10 slacks, the 12's today look much too droopy on my bum.

I hate when that happens. I try not to look at myself in the mirror too much. Congrats on the loss. So wonderful when your clothes get loose.
Carolyn
Closed Thread