Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Megan528
Stats: 155/136/115
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: July 2013
Fat fast: yes or no?

I'm debating on whether I would benefit from a fat fast, I've never participated in one so I'm very eager to hear everyone's opinions and/or experiences.

My personal situation:
I successfully lost 13 lbs, gained 3 back, and am currently stalling. Over the last two weeks I've cut AS, reduced protein, reduced my HWC to roughly 2 tbs, and reduced my cheese intake to about 3-4 oz. with little to no results. I believe this is due to my occasional over-eating. At one of my jobs I've had a real problem over eating walnuts and other proteins. Today I severely over ate 2 huge slices of meatlovers pizza(just the toppings, I didn't eat the crust). So far on my NK journey I haven't experienced the curbed appetite that everybody mentions, food(especially sugar) has always been a weakness of mine and I think perhaps a fat fast would be a good way to really get back on the horse after these few mess ups.

*edit*
Also when I say fat fast I do not mean the typical 900-1000 calorie/5, 200 calorie meal fat fast. I tweaked the original fat fast because I don't believe I need something quite as drastic so I decided upon 5, 250 calorie meals for a total of 1250 calories.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Megan

Last edited by Megan528; 07-30-2013 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: Forgot some information
Megan528 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Well, I don't think it would hurt, but it might be easier just to try a more strict NK diet for a while...how many carbs were in the pizza toppings? I imagine the sauce is full of sugar. And dairy is known to stall some people. 3-4 oz. of cheese a day is a LOT of cheese, IMHO.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
What does it mean when you say you're stalling? A stall is six weeks with no scale weight or inches lost, not just a few weeks with no weight lost. And it's for sure not a stall when you're overeating.

I've never done a fat fast, because I've never been in a true stall. Even when I'm not losing weight on the scale, I'm losing at least some inches. I don't lose quickly or steadily, but I do lose, so I don't see the need to go more drastic.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

I re-read my post, and I didn't mean to come across like you shouldn't do the fat fast if you think it'll help get you back on track. My point is that it's not helpful to anyone to call what isn't a stall a stall. That's all.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:34 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Spend a couple of days tracking the calories you are consuming, by weighing and measuring accurately. Then look up what your daily intake should be by using a number of online calculators. You might find that you are simply over-eating and can adjust your daily menu from there without going on a fat fast. Fat fasts are a bit of a metabolically drastic way of eating, and it might not be necessary. Sometimes actual fat loss doesn't show up on the scale for a couple of months. I think I went three months without a 5lb loss in fat mass showing up on the scale.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan528 View Post
I'm debating on whether I would benefit from a fat fast, I've never participated in one so I'm very eager to hear everyone's opinions and/or experiences.

My personal situation:
I successfully lost 13 lbs, gained 3 back, and am currently stalling. Over the last two weeks I've cut AS, reduced protein, reduced my HWC to roughly 2 tbs, and reduced my cheese intake to about 3-4 oz. with little to no results. I believe this is due to my occasional over-eating. At one of my jobs I've had a real problem over eating walnuts and other proteins. Today I severely over ate 2 huge slices of meatlovers pizza(just the toppings, I didn't eat the crust). So far on my NK journey I haven't experienced the curbed appetite that everybody mentions, food(especially sugar) has always been a weakness of mine and I think perhaps a fat fast would be a good way to really get back on the horse after these few mess ups.

*edit*
Also when I say fat fast I do not mean the typical 900-1000 calorie/5, 200 calorie meal fat fast. I tweaked the original fat fast because I don't believe I need something quite as drastic so I decided upon 5, 250 calorie meals for a total of 1250 calories.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Megan
If you have stalled, I would give up the nuts for a while and cut your cheese down to 2 oz a day. Also nuts can cause a craving, because they have carbs in them. Also, it would be better to snack on a boiled egg rather than nuts or seeds. Try adding more fat to your diet, by adding butter to your food. Coconut oil is very nice in tea or coffee. I especially like it in my peppermint tea. Also sometimes when you lose quite a bit quickly, your body takes a rest from losing for a while. It really is better to average about 1 to 2 pounds a week, so that you do not lose muscle. I just read recently ( I don't remember where) that we can only lose about 1 to 2 pounds of fat a week. Any more than that would be water and muscle. I hope this helps a little. It took me about a month to tweak my diet. What I did was take everything out except for meat and fat, and then added 1 thing back at a time to see how each food affected me. It was quite the science experiment.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I agree with the advice you've already gotten here. Just tighten up what you're doing and be patient and you should see the results. Maybe cut out the nuts and other foods that might trigger the overeating and be strict with you NK. If you do a fat fast, and then go right back to the overeating, you'll just put the weight back on and get frustrated.
However, if you feel like doing a fat fast will help you get back on track and break the overeating habit, then it might be worth a shot. It's all about finding what works for you.
Good luck!! You CAN do this!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
What does it mean when you say you're stalling? A stall is six weeks with no scale weight or inches lost, not just a few weeks with no weight lost. And it's for sure not a stall when you're overeating.

I've never done a fat fast, because I've never been in a true stall. Even when I'm not losing weight on the scale, I'm losing at least some inches. I don't lose quickly or steadily, but I do lose, so I don't see the need to go more drastic.
Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for the advice. My impatience probably is leading me to call this a stall when it's not, I went ahead in doing the fat fast however and I think it's helped me.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Glad to hear it!
Old 08-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
If you have stalled, I would give up the nuts for a while and cut your cheese down to 2 oz a day. Also nuts can cause a craving, because they have carbs in them. Also, it would be better to snack on a boiled egg rather than nuts or seeds. Try adding more fat to your diet, by adding butter to your food. Coconut oil is very nice in tea or coffee. I especially like it in my peppermint tea. Also sometimes when you lose quite a bit quickly, your body takes a rest from losing for a while. It really is better to average about 1 to 2 pounds a week, so that you do not lose muscle. I just read recently ( I don't remember where) that we can only lose about 1 to 2 pounds of fat a week. Any more than that would be water and muscle. I hope this helps a little. It took me about a month to tweak my diet. What I did was take everything out except for meat and fat, and then added 1 thing back at a time to see how each food affected me. It was quite the science experiment.
Carolyn

Thank you for the tips! CO is definitely a favorite of mine too. Ive also been tweaking my diet for about a month now, and I have cut back on seeds/nuts tremendously(I can't seem to give them up entirely). Interesting about the 1-2 lbs per week, I had heard that before buy wasn't sure how true it was.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think the fat fast is fine to try but you might want to do it as it is designed with the calorie restriction and the 3 day limit. There are reasons those parameters are there and if you do it differently, you won't know what and why it worked.

I think it is basically a method of getting those that are stubborn into a good level of ketosis and burning stored body fat. It appears to work for most people, at least temporarily.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote