Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   5 weeks of NK (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/808957-5-weeks-nk.html)

kathi b 07-30-2013 10:32 AM

5 weeks of NK

Yay, I lost two pounds. That's the right direction.

This week my arthritis has been really bad - I took a lot more tylenol than usual. I'm sure that didn't somehow stimulate losing a couple of pounds.

My daughter's husband's aunt died last week. Daughter is a pastry chef - I taught her. She and I made a bunch of desserts for when the family got together. Good news is that I didn't eat any of the sweets except a tiny bite of the peach pie to make sure it was good. It was - it's been a great peach season so far. The added whipped cream helped.

I do miss making desserts. I can't tolerate any of the artificial sweeteners so I don't make modified anything.

But it felt really good being able to stay away from all the non-keto food that people brought.

I really do stop wanting it now when I see it.

Patience 07-30-2013 03:34 PM

That's fantastic Kathi. I don't like the fake sugars either. Ugh.
Good peaches, though, that's another thing.

MerryKate 08-08-2013 01:05 AM

Have either of you tried monkfruit (aka lo han guo)? It's not artificial - it's a fruit with highly concentrated sweetness and no impact on blood sugar levels. It definitely has a fruity flavor, but it may work for you for lc baking.

lazy girl 08-21-2013 07:56 PM

Have you tried tagatose? It is a natural sweetner that has been discussed in the recipe section. I'm not using it right now, but plan to in the far future when I'm not afraid to venture into some more complicated cooking.

Selahgal 08-22-2013 06:04 AM

Sweetleaf liquid stevia is about the only REAL sweetener that I enjoy and has many many flavors too. Just have to work on getting right amount so it's not bitter tasting.

Karai 08-22-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selahgal (Post 16569589)
Sweetleaf liquid stevia is about the only REAL sweetener that I enjoy and has many many flavors too. Just have to work on getting right amount so it's not bitter tasting.

Hi Marci, I will give this brand a try. I've been using Kroger's stevia blend product. It is the powder form, and tastes "okay". But, I can still taste the bitterness. I definitely want to try the different flavors offered by Sweetleaf. Thanks for the recommendation. The reviews are pretty good.

lovetoknit 08-22-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathi b (Post 16537387)
Yay, I lost two pounds. That's the right direction.

This week my arthritis has been really bad - I took a lot more tylenol than usual. I'm sure that didn't somehow stimulate losing a couple of pounds.

My daughter's husband's aunt died last week. Daughter is a pastry chef - I taught her. She and I made a bunch of desserts for when the family got together. Good news is that I didn't eat any of the sweets except a tiny bite of the peach pie to make sure it was good. It was - it's been a great peach season so far. The added whipped cream helped.

I do miss making desserts. I can't tolerate any of the artificial sweeteners so I don't make modified anything.

But it felt really good being able to stay away from all the non-keto food that people brought.

I really do stop wanting it now when I see it.

I used to take Tylenol a lot for body pain. I do not take it any more. I gave up totally grains and nightshades, and most sugar which eliminated most pain in my body. Also too much Tylenol can backfire and make your body hurt more. It also slows down the bile that comes from the liver which is hard on your body.
Carolyn

lovetoknit 08-22-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

I have some of that in the refrigerator. I have to say that I do not like it at all. I wish I knew someone close who does like it. I would give it to them.
Carolyn

AnnetteW 08-22-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

I really like the Sweetleaf liquid stevia, though I haven't tried any of the flavors. The other flavors at my Natural Grocers don't interest me, and I'd like a lemon flavored one for iced tea. Maybe Whole Foods (which is seriously next door to Natural Grocers) has it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoknit (Post 16569941)
I have some of that in the refrigerator. I have to say that I do not like it at all. I wish I knew someone close who does like it. I would give it to them.
Carolyn

Some of the other brands I tried I didn't like at all and threw them all away. I wonder what it is that makes everyone taste things differently.

Selahgal 08-22-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoknit (Post 16569941)
Carolyn

Now that I know the amount to use, I love the stuff. Got about 10 flavors.