Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Please "TALLY UP" total wt loss on NK (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/808762-please-tally-up-total-wt-loss-nk.html)

Aussie Witch 07-27-2013 09:28 AM

Please "TALLY UP" total wt loss on NK

I find it really difficult to determine how successful NK is for most of you guys.
I've read all the files back to 2009! A pound here and there both up and down - can't really see what the big picture is. I have lost 1 - I repeat 1 pound in 3 weeks. Initially 3 but slowly back to only 1 net loss. That dog don't hunt in this neighborhood - I'll be 110 yrs old before I get rid of this 30 lbs! I would love to stay on this program - so many positive changes like hair, nails, skin, sleep and on and on ... Please tell me how long it's taken to lose what amount of weight especially anyone who started with only 20-30 lbs to lose. Thank you so much - you all are great!

finallylosing 07-28-2013 10:44 AM

I have been doing low carb (Bernstein ) since May 2012 and hit a huge stall at Christmas last year. I found NK in January so upped my fats then and have been slowly losing again. Since January I have lost 17 lbs but my total on low carb is 64 lbs. I have about another 20 to lose but I'm okay with it going slow right now. I feel really good and my sugars are well controlled.

Ntombi 07-28-2013 11:57 AM

I have lost close to 50 pounds since January 3.

(My stats say I'm doing Atkins, it's a hybrid of NK and Atkins: I eat the foods on the induction list from Atkins, but also follow the NK principles.)

Ntombi 07-28-2013 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I lose in a way that means I may lose one pound in three weeks, and then 4 pounds over the next few days. I had a period of almost three months in which I lost under two pounds, but I was still losing fat and inches. After a while, the water left my fat cells and I lost several pounds of scale weight. It's not all about the scale.

This is my daily weight chart since January. You can see how my loss is sporadic. I eat exactly the same overall, haven't changed a thing, this is how my body loses. But I AM losing. I keep at it, and it happens.

lovetoknit 07-28-2013 12:36 PM

My husband and I have been doing this since March. I have lost over 20 pounds and he has lost 35 pounds. The most important part of eating this way, is we feel great. We both have quit snoring. He quit after 2 days of eating this way. Also my skin and hair feel and look good. My hair is shinier, and my skin is softer and my psoriasis went away. So, I would say to hang in there. Also, he has lost 5 inches off of his belly, and I have lost 3 inches off my my waist.
Carolyn

Aussie Witch 07-28-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finallylosing (Post 16534326)
I have been doing low carb (Bernstein ) since May 2012 and hit a huge stall at Christmas last year. I found NK in January so upped my fats then and have been slowly losing again. Since January I have lost 17 lbs but my total on low carb is 64 lbs. I have about another 20 to lose but I'm okay with it going slow right now. I feel really good and my sugars are well controlled.

Thanks Finally - I don't mind losing slowly either as long as i'm losing. I'll stick with it.

Aussie Witch 07-28-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16534417)
I lose in a way that means I may lose one pound in three weeks, and then 4 pounds over the next few days. I had a period of almost three months in which I lost under two pounds, but I was still losing fat and inches. After a while, the water left my fat cells and I lost several pounds of scale weight. It's not all about the scale.

This is my daily weight chart since January. You can see how my loss is sporadic. I eat exactly the same overall, haven't changed a thing, this is how my body loses. But I AM losing. I keep at it, and it happens.

Thanks - i'll keep at it. Love your graph!

Aussie Witch 07-28-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoknit (Post 16534455)
My husband and I have been doing this since March. I have lost over 20 pounds and he has lost 35 pounds. The most important part of eating this way, is we feel great. We both have quit snoring. He quit after 2 days of eating this way. Also my skin and hair feel and look good. My hair is shinier, and my skin is softer and my psoriasis went away. So, I would say to hang in there. Also, he has lost 5 inches off of his belly, and I have lost 3 inches off my my waist.
Carolyn

Hi lovetoknit - love your posts on other threads - I kind of watch for you and a few others - Melody and Martha. I have gotten the same benefits as you - now I want to lose the 20 like you, lol.

lovetoknit 07-28-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Witch (Post 16534490)
Hi lovetoknit - love your posts on other threads - I kind of watch for you and a few others - Melody and Martha. I have gotten the same benefits as you - now I want to lose the 20 like you, lol.

Thank you. I hope I can help in some small way. :)
Carolyn

finallylosing 07-28-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoknit (Post 16534455)
Carolyn

That is so funny you mentioned the snoring. I used to snore so bad and now my husband says I'm so quiet at night he sometimes pokes me to see if I'm still breathing!

lovetoknit 07-28-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finallylosing (Post 16534754)
That is so funny you mentioned the snoring. I used to snore so bad and now my husband says I'm so quiet at night he sometimes pokes me to see if I'm still breathing!

You know, I had to do the same thing. I would touch him to see if he was still alive. :laugh:
Carolyn

martha 07-29-2013 07:37 AM

The only thoughts I have to offer on the subject are these two: First, like others have said, it can take a long time for results to show up on the scale. Something as simple as taking an NSAID for a couple of days during hot weather blimped me up a couple of pounds. Upping my exercise often leads to a bump up. And it took two solid weeks for ANYTHING to show on the scale when I got started, and then I got a grand total of a pound. Second, I think that for some of us, it's a sad mistake to think that as long as your "ratios" are right you can eat whatever you want. I have always counted calories (and calories-burned) along with macronutrients (carbs, proteins) and my weight loss has charted almost exactly what the caloric balance predicted. I'm not dismissing the metabolic aspect, because I have never, ever been able to lose weight at this rate and this consistently over time. But I've never gone five months without a single binge or even a seriously off-program day before, either, and I'm sure that's because I am so satisfied and so free of cravings. And my expectation coming into this was that I would have to have about 300 calories a day more than it turns out I have actually eaten.

While I'm on the topic, I read Gary Taubes's book and admired his research on the history of mainstream dietetics very much. He's a smart guy. But I am not convinced that even he really believes that calories are irrelevant. He has worked in journalism for a long time, and I think he has deliberately exaggerated his position because that's how you get on the air, that's how you get press, and that's what excites readers: an extreme, contrarian position with a sound bite message. But if you read his earlier work you will probably notice that he doesn't usually get up on such a soapbox. I think it was just a business decision.

nosugartalking 07-29-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martha (Post 16535344)

While I'm on the topic, I read Gary Taubes's book and admired his research on the history of mainstream dietetics very much. He's a smart guy. But I am not convinced that even he really believes that calories are irrelevant. He has worked in journalism for a long time, and I think he has deliberately exaggerated his position because that's how you get on the air, that's how you get press, and that's what excites readers: an extreme, contrarian position with a sound bite message. But if you read his earlier work you will probably notice that he doesn't usually get up on such a soapbox. I think it was just a business decision.

I believe Gary's "soapbox" comes from his passion to get the record straight.
His passion is to correct the misinformation that we all have been fed.
Through his extensive research of the science, he has provided us with some very valuable information other wise buried beneath the deep pockets of the food and pharmaceutical companies.
I believe in his work and am thankful for it. What few dollars I may spend on his books is miniscule compared to the priceless information I derive from it.

martha 07-29-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosugartalking (Post 16535444)
I believe Gary's "soapbox" comes from his passion to get the record straight.
His passion is to correct the misinformation that we all have been fed.
Through his extensive research of the science, he has provided us with some very valuable information other wise buried beneath the deep pockets of the food and pharmaceutical companies.
I believe in his work and am thankful for it. What few dollars I may spend on his books is miniscule compared to the priceless information I derive from it.

I like him, too. And I think his writing has been immensely influential in a good way.

Aussie Witch 07-29-2013 03:23 PM

Martha

I'm with you - unfortunately for me - I cannot go above my calorie allowance or I'll gain - I don't care what diet I'm on. If I stick with 1100 to 1200 I'll lose pretty well. Problem is I can't sustain more than about 3 days and then all H.. breaks loose and I binge and I'm not talking a little cheat! This is the FIRST woe that I can deal with - I haven't laid a finger or even a thought of cheat food in over 3 weeks- that's why I so want this to work. Since I started this thread I went to the Keto Calculator and have been following that plan for ratios and I dropped a half pound this morning. Thanks again so much for your advice - All of you.

drjlocarb 07-29-2013 04:06 PM

I have lost 25 lbs since the first of the year. I had previously been stalled for 2 full years on generic low carb.

Patience 07-29-2013 04:10 PM

Ok, so what was the key shift for you drjlocarb?
Seems to me sometimes that NK is so very much like generic low carb, except for careful watch on protein amounts and extra fat.
Is there something important I am missing?

Ntombi 07-29-2013 04:30 PM

Generic low carb can mean almost anything, it doesn't even always mean ketosis.

geobom 07-30-2013 04:04 AM

I started back to LC on 7/13/13 and started to follow NK WOE last week. I have not bought any stips or meters yet to test whether I am in NK, but I feel better than on low fat low calorie diet. I actually like this better than straight Atkins, with the focus being increased fats and less protein than what I ate before on LC. Also, I have not been constipated at all this time around. I have lost 4 lbs so far.
Kathy

drjlocarb 07-30-2013 05:12 AM

Bella, I was eating less than 20 carbs a day with no regard for macros. According to the urine strips, I was in ketosis the entire time. My protein was high and the major component of my diet. I got stuck in the fat adds too many calories mantra and at that time I was eating mainly meat and veggies. I had NO idea how many grams of protein I was consuming. And didn't care.

I spent several months weighing my food to retrain my brain on what that amount of protein "looked" like. Then, once I got the macros in line, it took over 2 months of that lower protein and higher fat to get the blood ketone readings over 0.5. Once the blood ketones were in range, I dropped some of the fat and allowed my body to provide those calories.

It took me about 4 months to get everything in line and to start losing any weight.

AnnetteW 07-30-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjlocarb (Post 16536786)
Bella, I was eating less than 20 carbs a day with no regard for macros. According to the urine strips, I was in ketosis the entire time. My protein was high and the major component of my diet. I got stuck in the fat adds too many calories mantra and at that time I was eating mainly meat and veggies. I had NO idea how many grams of protein I was consuming. And didn't care.

I spent several months weighing my food to retrain my brain on what that amount of protein "looked" like. Then, once I got the macros in line, it took over 2 months of that lower protein and higher fat to get the blood ketone readings over 0.5. Once the blood ketones were in range, I dropped some of the fat and allowed my body to provide those calories.

It took me about 4 months to get everything in line and to start losing any weight.

What a nice and thorough description of all you had to go through. I didn't realize that. Most things make it sound like "it" should happen quicker than that. I have to be more patient, thanks again.

Megan528 07-30-2013 06:08 PM

3 weeks into ketosis - 10 lbs

4 weeks - 13 lbs

I was then sick for a week straight where all I did was sleep. I believe that the lack of exercise along with the fact that I attempted to increase my carbs by 10g, and also my ignorance of "hidden carbs", led to a 3 lbs increase, putting me back to 10 lbs.

I've fudged again by severely over-eating walnuts and other protein at work for the last 3 days. Today the scale was all the way back up to a mere 5 lbs lighter than my SW. I did however weigh myself at the very end of the day(after over-eating today as well) so fingers crossed that it was off a few lbs.

I'm starting a fat fast tomorrow to attempt to control my over-eatin tendencies.

clackley 07-31-2013 05:38 AM

I think a lot of people come to n.k. because they have been frustrated with a lack of weight loss. I lost 55lbs in just under 1 year of doing Atkins and then started my epic stall. I still had about 40 lbs. left to lose.

I have been doing n.k. for a bit more than 1 year now and have managed to lose the weight that had started to come back on and a few more lbs.. So loosely speaking I have lost about 12 lbs. averaging just under a lb. a month but it took some time to get things right and I did gain at first.

I am relieved that I am no longer regaining and actually trending downwards.

drjlocarb 07-31-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16538528)
I think a lot of people come to n.k. because they have been frustrated with a lack of weight loss. I lost 55lbs in just under 1 year of doing Atkins and then started my epic stall. I still had about 40 lbs. left to lose.

I have been doing n.k. for a bit more than 1 year now and have managed to lose the weight that had started to come back on and a few more lbs.. So loosely speaking I have lost about 12 lbs. averaging just under a lb. a month but it took some time to get things right and I did gain at first.

I am relieved that I am no longer regaining and actually trending downwards.

:jumpjoy: :hiya:

clackley 07-31-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjlocarb (Post 16539382)
:jumpjoy: :hiya:

:jumpjoy::hiya: Right back at you, sister!:)