Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #151
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahilz View Post

Last week I ate myself out of NK. I think I attended at least 5 family functions- anniversary dinner, a wedding, Thanksgiving, 80th Bday party, and A family outing to get the Christmas tree! The good news is that while I ate more carbs than I usually do, I did keep with the idea of portion control and did not gain any weight.

At the birthday party, I had a delicious piece of chocolate cheesecake that I'm sure could be made HFLC.

Yesterday, I had cheesy eggs for breakfast, an avocado salad for lunch and steak, sweet potatoes & beets for supper. Are sweet potatoes an alright choice to eat if I keep the portion small?

This morning I had 2 boiled eggs and for lunch I will be eating dark meat chicken with salad.

Larry, that puts you in NY. I am in meat & potato Idaho country. The farm wife kind of cook. Have any of you found a good replacement for breads?
Some of my specialties include cream puffs and refrigerator potato cinnamon rolls.

That is my mom's thinking too- skim milk, spray on butter, fat free

mayonnaise and high sugar, low fat ice cream, Hard to blame her as that is what the health experts taught for so many years.

My husband doesn't tolerate milk well but yogurt seems to be better. We have begun drinking unsweetened almond milk.
Just saying sweet potatoes and beets are not low carb. You would have to keep your portion to a spoon full. You are must better off picking from the list of non starchy veg. Also it is good to remember that beets are used to make sugar.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Green, those eggs with marmite sound great!

I have sometimes used one spoon of potato or beets or green peas, but they are definitely in the rare use category.

Today's food:

tea w/ pastured hh and bone broth
2 eggs w/ butter and dried parsley, braised in bone broth

Brie and pecans
Yoghurt made from pastured hh
more tea

liver braised in chives and butter
more tea

an hb or two, yoghurt

I experimented for a week or so with upping the carbs to the 40-50g range. Dr. Atkins' CCL definitely holds true for me. I feel the best and maintain the best at 25-35g/d.

Happy VLCing, all.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 12-04-2013 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: corrected typing error
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Yes, Marmite is so good on buttered scrambled eggs!

Today:

B: 2 eggs with ghee and marmite
L: spicy ground pork sausage with a celery, mushroom, onion sautée.
S: double fermented (2nd time with berries) raw goat milk kefir, an ounce of goat Brie with a pat of butter
D: salmon with either kale or spinach in a fatty sauce
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lrrych
Stats: 198/160/160 6'0"
WOE: Ketogenic/Traditional-organic,raw and pastured
Start Date: May 2013
Unna:
Code:
 What do you think the next best low-carb crust for a schnitzel is?
I've mixed ground walnut and shredded parm to great success 1/2 C mix is 3.5 carbs or so . Shredded coconut is about 3 carbs for 1/2 C. Now that you've got me pondering, think I'll make calf sweetbreads Friday...coconut crusted topped with Jamaican jerk sauce and salt cured eggplant fried in coconut oil (tastes kind of like bananas and if one coats it in coconut flour prior to frying it'll have a plantain-like crunch)...but, I'm rambling. Sorry
lrrych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #155
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dahilz
Stats: 159/150/135
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: Nov 2013
Thanks for the list and advice. Breakfast and lunch are easy for me to do NK. Dinner is harder when I have a family to feed. Typically we eat lots of poatoes and we grow beets, squash, corn and other vegtables that i freeze or can for winter use. I am limiting my portion size when I do eat them.

B cordon bleu eggs with sauted mushrooms
L salmon and broccoli with cream cheese cheddar sauce
D turkey cauliflour squash soup, sugar free butterscotch pudding made with cream
Dahilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Code:
Shredded coconut is about 3 carbs for 1/2 C
Mistake; sorry, 1/2 C shredded coconut is 6g carbs

Green; combining brie with a pat of butter had me try some brie with the cranberry fat bomb I made...awesome and it put me right at 80% fat for the day. The double fermented kefir with fruit (Like a Lambic style beer) is interesting , love the idea.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Mmmm Brie with a cranberry fat bomb.. Heck yeah.
Double fermenting the kefir is so good! I'm going to try it with lemon peels today. I just take the grains out as normal and then add the fruit and let it sit for another 8 hours. I saw a recipe online that double fermented with cocoa powder and spices. That'll happen soon enough.
I also am making kefir cheese. So much kefir on my hands.

Ps, I love that salt cured coconutty fried eggplant idea.
Fried plantains are one of my favorites...

Last edited by Green; 12-05-2013 at 08:17 AM..
Old 12-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
lrrych: your idea of a walnut and parmesan breading sounds amazing! I'm definitely going to be trying that out very soon.

I cubed and roasted celery root yesterday - it had a really nice flavor and is a naturally low-carb root vegetable.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #159
Junior LCF Member

B 2 deviled eggs
L leftover cauliflaur soup and 1/2 avacado

At school where I work, teachers and staff have begun a 12 days of holiday treats. Today the spread is nothing but refined sugar items- doughnuts, fudge, hot chocolate and no bakes.

Any ideas for what I could bring on my day? Something NK but still tasty for a crowd?

I'd like to try kefir. Where to get a start?
Old 12-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

I got my kefir grains from someone on craigslist who lives nearby.
I think poele sell them on the internet or eBay too
Old 12-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

I got my kefir on Amazon..search kefir grains.
Green; I am going to research kefir cheese now..i love the double ferment idea...even more good bacteria and microbes.
Unna...I'm fantasizing about butter roasted celeriac now with whole cloves of garlic and fresh thyme, rosemary, marjoram...maybe a grating of nutmeg...ayayay.

Br>BPCoffee
Lu>Salmon, Pancetta and Mussel Stew
D> leftover sausage kale bacon chowder with leftover marinated beef hearts.
lunch
Old 12-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #162
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
B 2 deviled eggs
L leftover cauliflaur soup and 1/2 avacado

At school where I work, teachers and staff have begun a 12 days of holiday treats. Today the spread is nothing but refined sugar items- doughnuts, fudge, hot chocolate and no bakes.

Any ideas for what I could bring on my day? Something NK but still tasty for a crowd?

I'd like to try kefir. Where to get a start?
Cheesecake! You can go crestless or make a nut crumb crust.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

lrrych - Do you have any tips for a rutabaga? So far I've only found it to be edible if I use the food processor to shred it into a hash-brown like consistency and cook it in the wok with coconut oil. It was more than edible, it was actually pretty good and the smell wasn't overwhelming.

Once I put the entire rutabaga in the oven and roasted it for hours.... and it just tasted and smelled terrible. My MIL told me they are only rabbit feed. I actually wonder if maybe it was just old.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:36 AM   #164
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Hi all!

B: nothing
L: a salad with a bit of sardines, feta and a vinaigrette dressing
D: leftover beef geschnetzeltes: Yesterday evening I made beef strips with red peppers and different kinds of mushrooms in a cream sauce which I thickened with a little guar gum. Was very yummy and way too much, so we'll have it again tonight.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Code:
lrrych - Do you have any tips for a rutabaga?
Like a turnip you can shred it into a cake with some alternative gluten free flour, egg, scallion, chives , baking powder, salt and whatever herbs or spices you like and pan-fry it like you mentioned. Remember to squeeze all the water out of it before making it into a cake so it browns beautifully and is more light and fluffy. I like to cube it into 1" pieces and coat it with oil or butter, whole garlic,(optionally alongside with turnips, or other NK friendly root veg) and add a little water to the bottom of the pan , cover it with foil and roast almost till tender then uncover to finish it brown. The little bit of water prevents it from becoming "leathery" and has a better "mouth-feel". Fresh thyme, marjoram, rosemary etc mixed in is almost essential for me . Grating nutmeg or adding turmeric with cinnamon etc is nice and has many health benefits as well. Thirdly you can cube it 1" and boil it until tender then mash it like potatoes with HWC and butter....but go ahead get fancy and add either carmelized, shredded Brussel sprouts, or cabbage, roasted tomatoes ,roasted garlic or horseradish and creme fraiche or whatever you would add to mashed potatoes. I like adding crispy bacon and whatever cheese I have available. As always, have fun.
-Larry
Old 12-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #166
Junior LCF Member

Just made my first fat bomb with coconut oil, butter, cocoa and natural peanut butter. Melted all the ingredients in the microwave, then while it was still in hot fudge sundae form drizzled it on some very low carb ice cream. Delicious!
I'm asking Santa for a small electric ice cream maker for Christmas this year so I can make my own frozen low carb treats.

I make my own buttermilk using a start from comercial buttermilk and leaving it at room temperature for about 24 hours. I'm guessing this will work with kefir.

Do you have a recipe for geschnetzeltes?

Last edited by Dahilz; 12-06-2013 at 05:16 PM..
Old 12-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Br> BPCoffee
Lu> too busy .cranberry mascarpone fat bomb
D> Jamaican jerk veal sweetbreads, coconut crusted eggplant, a tiny portion of sweet potato with crumbled bacon, HWC and butter. I reduced the heavy lime-jerk marinade, added cream..reduced again and finish with butter (beurre blanc sauce)..twas great!
Congrats on the fat bomb Dahilz! NK friendly ice cream is lots of fun too.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by unna View Post
lrrych - Do you have any tips for a rutabaga? So far I've only found it to be edible if I use the food processor to shred it into a hash-brown like consistency and cook it in the wok with coconut oil. It was more than edible, it was actually pretty good and the smell wasn't overwhelming.

Once I put the entire rutabaga in the oven and roasted it for hours.... and it just tasted and smelled terrible. My MIL told me they are only rabbit feed. I actually wonder if maybe it was just old.
rutabagas are good cooked in water and then mashed and then put butter and cream and salt and pepper in it.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

I will definitely try the rutabaga "cakes" soon! I haven't yet given up on that poor, ole, stinky vegetable that the Germans only buy to feed to their rabbits ....

Today I decided I wanted salad, but I didn't want to have to spend so much time eating the salad. SOOOOO - I made arugula pesto, which is divine.

You can make it many ways, but I prefer: super-fresh arugula, raw cashews, lemon juice, parmesan, olive oil - in the food processor. Because, who are we kidding, pine nuts and basil are too darn expensive sometimes!
Old 12-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday,
B: coffee with cream, sausage and mushroom "dressing" from Linda's
S: goat Brie, a Brazil nut
S: on the road, had some bacon "jerky" and roasted almonds from the gas station as well as coffee with hwc from Starbucks
D: went to a BBQ joint and got the smoked sausage with a side of turnips and deviled eggs

Today:
B: scrambled eggs with chorizo
S: raw goat milk kefir
S: probably some peanut butter or goat Brie with butter.
D: maybe a Reuben without bread
Old 12-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

B>BPC
L >Beef and chorizo lettuce wrap, chipotle charred tomato cream sauce
D>scrambled eggs and sausage with spinach
Old 12-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

BPCoffee
Salmon,spinach, cauliflower-spinach with HWC and butter
D> Sweetbreads and lobster in coconut curry with pancetta, baby arugula, coconut crusted eggplant
Cranberry fat bomb

Old 12-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Have any of you found a good replacement for breads? Some of my specialties include cream puffs and refrigerator potato cinnamon rolls.
An oopsie roll is fairly similar in texture to a cream puff shell. I've been planning to experiment with making cream puffs using an oopsie roll recipe with a bit of carbalose added in place of the flour. The filling is very easy to do low-carb. There are a few low-carb cinnamon roll recipes on this forum, but I haven't tried any yet - I haven't had much luck with yeast breads. :/ I recently learned that combining coconut flour with almond flour gives you a mix that is closer to wheat flour for baking.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #174
Junior LCF Member

That's a good idea. I have some carbalose flour. Today I made sausage gravy thickened with gum stuff and made carbquick biscuits. Texture of both items were a little different but it was a nice change from eating eggs every morning.

Larry, are your stats correct? How long did it take you to lose those 40 pounds and how difficult has it been to maintain your weight loss?

Last edited by Dahilz; 12-08-2013 at 10:28 PM..
Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Does this high fat diet really work or is it just low calories. I even ate real ice cream the other day and lost on this but am scared it is going to backfire? Any help here? I am a smaller woman and 110 pounds.
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
How much cream can I use in my coffee?
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Code:
Larry, are your stats correct? How long did it take you to lose those 40 pounds and how difficult has it been to maintain your weight loss?
I lost the weight in 2 months. After being diagnosed with T2Diabetes I was very serious about NK so the motivation was there. I no longer am T2D but after the intense research into nutrition and health (and molecular biology and chemistry etc) I'm hooked. Attitude is key...I'm having great fun cooking and coming up with interesting ideas every day and when I'm out running with my dogs I'll just break into an all-out sprint because it feels soooo good! So...to answer your question, it's been very easy maintaining.

Oriana; The high (healthy) fat way of eating has worked for me and many others. Don't forget, healthy fat is saturated fat from animals raised on pasture, wild caught or coconut and sometimes olive oils as long as it is sourced fresh and not from the grocery store (which is invariably oxidized or rancid). If 80% of our energy intake is from fat, we have to do our best to make sure it's "clean". Re: cream in coffee...remember to count the carbs in the cream and dairy knocks some people out of ketosis. You'll have to try on yourself and see what happens. In the beginning I checked my ketones an hour after first using dairy to see if I was still in ketosis. Good luck.

B>BPCoffee
L>Garlic gruyere sausage and sauerkraut with Dusseldorf mustard
D>Salmon taco (oopsie tortilla), avocado, roasted tomato habanero salsa, kale caesar salad
espresso fat bomb
IMG_0635_zps80808e85.jpg
Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #178
Junior LCF Member

True Larry, attitude is key!
Last weekend I went to a church Christmas social. Our meal was loaded with carbs- ham, baked potatoes, corn, white roll and red & green jello cake. It really is no wonder our country is being plagued with obesity problems. I chose to eat the ham with half of a potato with sour cream & butter.

Last night I made stuffed green peppers with hamburger and cauliflower for the filling. It was tasty. Having leftovers for lunch.

Here's a case for reading the labels on what you eat. I finished the meal with a hot fudge fat bomb on my low carb ice cream. The problem was the ice cream labeled low carb and 4 gr of sugar. In reality it had 15 carbs per serving because it also had 5 gr of sugar alcohol. What is that? My family was eating maple nut ice cream that was listed with having only 16 carbs.

I have not purchased a keto reader as yet. How often do you test to make sure you are in ketosis?

For breakfast I ate sausage and an egg.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cavewoman
WOE: low carb / high fat + intuitive eating
lyrrch, how did you come to no longer be diabetic? Having normal numbers from eating low carb does not necessarily equal a cure; it means it is well managed. However, if you can eat sugar and have a normal insulin response, I'd be very curious to know how you did it because I am forever on the chase for the cure :P It'd be nice to have an occasional slip and not worry about my post prandials.

Breakfast: macadamia pancakes (homemade macadamia nut butter, cream cheese, 1 egg, blueberries, mixed into a batter than fried up)

Lunch will be: creamed spinach with bacon

Dinner will be: chorizo and cheesy, creamy cauliflower "grits"
cavewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Cavewoman, those pancakes sound delish! I made "fat bread" with macadamia nut butter one time.

Yesterday:
B: buttery scrambled eggs, curry kale sautéed in red palm oil with a splash if acv. A piece of Brie.
L: shrimp pho (no noodles, of course)
S: Brie, 90% chocolate with PB
D: shirataki noodles with butter and sautéed leeks, leek au gratin, roasted herb chicken drumsticks, more chocolate

Today:
B: bacon and eggs over medium, coffee with cream
L: buttery cabbage and pastured ground beef soup
D: maybe creamed spinach and chicken wings