Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Help with the NK lifestyle

I originally went into NK to stabilize my blood sugar and give my metabolism a bit of a break from all the ups and downs that were going on with my high carb/dieting/exercising lifestyle. For a few months it was great, but when I tried to reintroduce carbs and more protein, everything went very wrong. All the problems I had before trying NK came back. So now I am going back to NK.

Why I am struggling is because I am having difficulty trying to understand this lifestyle. LC where I live, seems to be a foreign concept. Not only can you not get LC foods but you when you try to eat in a social setting, you end up feeling like an alien. Not to mention the fact that most of my family members think I have an eating disorder because I will tend to eat only a bowl of lettuce for lunch. Unfortunately a bowl of lettuce with 400cal of salad dressing looks like "no food" and translates into "I must be an anorexic." I tried switching the bowl of lettuce for a can of tuna with the same dressing on it. But it causes hypoglycemia so it seems as though my body can't handle that much protein. It has to be VLC and VHF for me to function properly. So my main issue is struggling with looking at being in NK long term and how to eat in social settings. I mean I am ok with eating my lunch in the closet to avoid being ostricized, however my life would be much easier if I had menu ideas that didn't make me look like my eating habits are from outer space. I was wondering if people could give me some samples of a daily meal plan that they follow and rough amounts to give me a sense of what they eat day in and day out, as part of the NK lifestyle. I am not looking for sample meals, more like a day meal plan so get a sense of what you are eating over the period of the day.

Thanks for helping me in advance! I appreciate it
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I originally went into NK to stabilize my blood sugar and give my metabolism a bit of a break from all the ups and downs that were going on with my high carb/dieting/exercising lifestyle. For a few months it was great, but when I tried to reintroduce carbs and more protein, everything went very wrong. All the problems I had before trying NK came back. So now I am going back to NK.

Why I am struggling is because I am having difficulty trying to understand this lifestyle. LC where I live, seems to be a foreign concept. Not only can you not get LC foods but you when you try to eat in a social setting, you end up feeling like an alien. Not to mention the fact that most of my family members think I have an eating disorder because I will tend to eat only a bowl of lettuce for lunch. Unfortunately a bowl of lettuce with 400cal of salad dressing looks like "no food" and translates into "I must be an anorexic." I tried switching the bowl of lettuce for a can of tuna with the same dressing on it. But it causes hypoglycemia so it seems as though my body can't handle that much protein. It has to be VLC and VHF for me to function properly. So my main issue is struggling with looking at being in NK long term and how to eat in social settings. I mean I am ok with eating my lunch in the closet to avoid being ostricized, however my life would be much easier if I had menu ideas that didn't make me look like my eating habits are from outer space. I was wondering if people could give me some samples of a daily meal plan that they follow and rough amounts to give me a sense of what they eat day in and day out, as part of the NK lifestyle. I am not looking for sample meals, more like a day meal plan so get a sense of what you are eating over the period of the day.

Thanks for helping me in advance! I appreciate it
You do need to eat protein on NK, or you will get sick. Try high fat protein, such as a high fat hamburger patty or some salmon. Sometimes for lunch I have Salmon. Sometimes I eat eggs and cheese. I also like chicken with sour cream on it. You can add cheese to some foods to add protein. For instance, you can have a little salad with cheese, a boiled egg, sliced, and an oz or 2 of chicken on it. Add your high fat dressing, and it makes a yummy meal. I hope this helps a little. I eat 2 slices of bacon with an egg for breakfast. I shared already what I eat for lunch. Sometimes I will add a few vegetables to my lunch. I usually eat chocolate whipped cream for dinner. Sometimes I will have a slice of cheddar cheese as a snack in between meals. It depends if I get hungry or not.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Some ideas I would have to get protein and high fat...

Salami and cream cheese roll ups
deviled eggs with full fat mayo
70/30% hamburger with hard cheese melted in
high fat chocolate shake with hwc
my favorite...
1 tbsp of pb (natural of course)
1 oz of cream cheese
1 oz of HWC
zsweet (or sweetner if you wish)

melt the pb and cc a little in the microwave so it will mix, and then add the hwc, mix.. I call it PB fluff! My favorite!!

Or... make oopsie rolls and have oopsie pizza with pepperoni and mozzarella on it, or oopsie sandwich with tuna and mayo or ... turkey/cheese/mayo avocado...

These are the things I eat or ... I make high fat yogurt with HWC... yumm!! Just eating lettuce, even with high fat dressing is probably making your family feel that way... add something with more "umpf" in there! LOL
catjrow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
What is the quantity of protein you've determined you can handle?

I wouldn't consider lettuce with dressing a complete meal, but personally I don't care what someone else eats, and never understand why other people worry. Now unless they are worry because someone truly does have an eating disorder or something, that's totally different.

I really enjoy a salad with a little meat, cheese and sunflower seeds sprinkled on, and the cheese and seeds add a little protein and I can have less meat.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I seem to be able to tolerate around 60g of protein a day. But I count every gram of protein, including trace amounts such as what is found in cream and cream cheese.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I seem to be able to tolerate around 60g of protein a day. But I count every gram of protein, including trace amounts such as what is found in cream and cream cheese.
60 g is probably more than most women eat who are eating a high carb diet. So you're just eating fat instead of carbs, which is what you are supposed to do and what you already know.

Guess it's time to just ignore other people. I don't see any other solution. It's definitely hard for other people to accept that it's okay for us to eat all this fat. I really wish I had an answer for you. It sure can be difficult at times.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Oh that's a good point. A lot of high fat foods (unless you are eating a lot of oil) contain protein. Same with low carb veggies, they tend to have a lot of protein. I never looked at it that way. Maybe I should stick to two meals a day, if possible. That way I can eat more at a meal.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am with you. I count every gram of protein. I usually stay about 60 or slightly less.
Carolyn
Old 07-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
60 g is probably more than most women eat who are eating a high carb diet. So you're just eating fat instead of carbs, which is what you are supposed to do and what you already know.

Guess it's time to just ignore other people. I don't see any other solution. It's definitely hard for other people to accept that it's okay for us to eat all this fat. I really wish I had an answer for you. It sure can be difficult at times.
I have to say, that I like eating a high fat diet. I feel so much better eating this way. I have not found it hard, because I keep my carbs and protein so low, that I do not have cravings. I can still have chocolate in the form of fat bombs if I want.
Carolyn
Old 07-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
What is NK?
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
What is NK?
Nutritional Ketosis. Actually you can call it LCHF which is low carb high fat.

Carolyn
Old 07-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
Nutritional Ketosis. Actually you can call it LCHF which is low carb high fat.

Carolyn
Ooooh okay thanks!
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Leylee24
Stats: 185/148/130
WOE: low carb high fat dairy/gluten free
I start out my day with raw almonds (I snack on them at work), or scrambled eggs with cheese on the weekends (maybe with some onion or spinach). Then I might have a salad with fatty dressing, or a salmon fillet baked w/ EVOO, or chili with cheese, or tuna salad with pickles. I might steam veggies and smother with lots of buttery goodness, or have fresh veggies with hummus. Sometimes I go crazy and eat an avocado. Dinner depends on lunch, I try to keep it balanced. The two are interchangeable as far as I'm concerned. I have to get enough veggies in there or I have ... problems, lol.

I don't bother counting calories, or anything, really... I check labels before I buy, and use common sense to eat a good balance every day. Being lactose and gluten intolerant makes it easy to avoid a lot of things that would throw me off. I know I'm in ketosis not only based on how I look and feel, but I also test positive for ketones when I go to the doctor. I don't eat much in a sitting, because it doesn't take much to fill me up and leave me satisfied. My coworkers gave me grief at first, but once they realized I was slowly and steadily losing weight and not about to keel over from starvation, they let off, some even asked me for advice.
Leylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:28 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Carolyn. How many times do you eat a day? And also can you give me a couple examples of the meals you might have. I tried eating eggs for breakfast yesterday and covered them with a lot of butter. I had hypoglycemia all day afterwards. So I am just curious what other people eat who keep their protein levels down. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Punkin, out of curiosity, did you actually test your blood sugar when you were feeling hypo? I personally feel that testing my blood sugar is very helpful and I've learned a lot from it. If a protein/fat meal like eggs/butter makes you hypo, that's interesting and something to learn from.

I almost always have 3T of cream in my coffee, then 3 eggs with 1 T of butter, sometimes 2 eggs and 2 slices of bacon. Some combo of the sort.

You might look into testing specific meals with a glucometer until you find what works.

A couple of us did the egg yolks in butter only meal (no whites) and it worked really well actually, held my hunger at bay a good extra hour +. You might want to try that instead, just skip the whites.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:27 AM   #16
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
I am with you. I count every gram of protein. I usually stay about 60 or slightly less.
Carolyn
Same. I put everything into my online tracker and keep my protein to around 50g per day. I started an experiment to eat a bit more but to space it out by at least 6 hours to allow for full digestion.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Carolyn. How many times do you eat a day? And also can you give me a couple examples of the meals you might have. I tried eating eggs for breakfast yesterday and covered them with a lot of butter. I had hypoglycemia all day afterwards. So I am just curious what other people eat who keep their protein levels down. Thanks.
I eat about 3 or 4 times a day. My husband and I do not eat after 6 at night. I always eat bacon with my eggs in the morning. You can throw away the whites and only eat the yokes and then you should not have a problem with hypoglycemia. I count every oz of protein as 1 of my servings. I limit my servings to 6 to 8 a day. That allows for small amounts of protein in cream, sour cream, and cream cheese. Also cocoa powder has small amounts of protein. I will eat 2 to 3 servings at breakfast and 2 to 3 servings at lunch, and then a piece or two of cheese for a snack. I eat a mostly fat dinner in the form of chocolate whipped cream or cream cheese mixed with whipped cream. A few times a week, I will have some cooked green vegetables, or an avocado. But I really limit them. It is so funny that when I ate so little when I was eating more carbs, I was hungry, but now I am not hungry at all. I keep track of calories in my head to make sure that I am eating enough. Fat adds up pretty quickly, so I am getting enough.
Carolyn