Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
Baconista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 11
Gallery: Baconista
Stats: 425/397/299 for now....
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: Many times... This time 6/30/13
Your longest fat fast

How long was your longest fat fast? How did you feel?

Sometimes I wish I could just live off of fat and not have to calculate percentages!
Baconista is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
April04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC 'burbs
Posts: 351
Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
4 days- I didn't really like it- and I gained my loss back in 3 days.

I think it's great to kick start into ketosis.


I wish it was that easy, I'd stay on one too!
April04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
TerriMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,623
Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 144/142.7/130
WOE: IE/M&E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconista View Post
How long was your longest fat fast? How did you feel?

Sometimes I wish I could just live off of fat and not have to calculate percentages!
Twelve days and I felt great. Lost 7.8#. Kept the majority off until I started eating carbs again.
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,572
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconista View Post
How long was your longest fat fast? How did you feel?

Sometimes I wish I could just live off of fat and not have to calculate percentages!
I have never done a fat fast, so 0 days.

I replied in your other thread, you don't have to calculate percentages.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member
 
Megan528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 15
Gallery: Megan528
Stats: 155/136/115
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: July 2013
0 days. I'm about to start one though so wish me luck. Im not going to do the true "900-100 cal" fat fast where you eat 5, 200 calorie meals, because I feel that's a little too dramatic. Instead I'm cutting back from about 1800-1900 cal to 5, 250 calorie meals.
Megan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,603
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Not sure what you mean by saying you wish you could live on a fat fast and not calculate averages. You can but the fat fast is low calorie and very restricted food choices. Most people cannot do that very long and likely shouldn't as it will be deficient in nutrients over the long haul.

I never calculate percentages. My food tracker does that and instead I make my food choices based on the actual grams of food. It was messy in the beginning but after a while it becomes 2nd nature.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
April04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC 'burbs
Posts: 351
Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Decided to give Fat Fast another try after close to 6 months NK.

So glad I did

FF Weigh-ins:
FF #1 Mon: 174.3
FF #2 Tues: 174.7 (+.4)
FF #3 Wed: 174.3 (0)
FF #4 Thurs: 172.8 (-1.5)
FF #5 Fri Day: 171.7 (-2.6)
NK Sat: 170.9 (-3.4)
NK Sun: 169.1 (-5.2)

Last edited by April04; 09-24-2013 at 08:35 AM..
April04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,603
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Wow Ann, that is quite impressive! What happens when you go back to n.k.? I would hope that you can maintain those losses and continue to lose even if a bit slower.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
April04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC 'burbs
Posts: 351
Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Thanks you, Clackey!

I was really impressed with the results, didn't think I had any big losses left in me! My plan is to slowly raise the protein.

I think I had been forgetting to keep my fat up over the summer. So the FF was like a re-commitment to NK. I'm so glad I did it and am really looking forward to trying to do one per month until I reach goal.
April04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,603
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
That is great!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
Checkoutchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 80
Gallery: Checkoutchick
Stats: 199/151/143
WOE: Atkins (NANY)
Start Date: 17/06/13
My plan was to do a three day FF starting last Monday. I stuck to it on day 1 but I was getting quite hungry last night (surprise!!), and had an extra egg plus 2oz pork sausage. That did the trick.
The FF was based on Dana Carpender's FF Cookbook, and I had 84% fat intake of 1150 cals.
Have been reading Jenny Ruhl's Diet 101 (among many others), and have come to the conclusion that FF turns LC into a 'fad diet'. Instead I will be putting my Blood Glucose Meter to good use and really make an effort to personalise my LC way of eating.
The other thing I have read a number of times, but cannot be sure of the validity of the comments, is that people put the weight lost on a FF straight back on when adding carbs back. Personally I would not want to end up never being able to eat veggies again.
Checkoutchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,603
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkoutchick View Post
My plan was to do a three day FF starting last Monday. I stuck to it on day 1 but I was getting quite hungry last night (surprise!!), and had an extra egg plus 2oz pork sausage. That did the trick.
The FF was based on Dana Carpender's FF Cookbook, and I had 84% fat intake of 1150 cals.
Have been reading Jenny Ruhl's Diet 101 (among many others), and have come to the conclusion that FF turns LC into a 'fad diet'. Instead I will be putting my Blood Glucose Meter to good use and really make an effort to personalise my LC way of eating.
The other thing I have read a number of times, but cannot be sure of the validity of the comments, is that people put the weight lost on a FF straight back on when adding carbs back. Personally I would not want to end up never being able to eat veggies again.
The important thing about doing a fat fast is that is is intended to 'jump start' one into ketosis. It should not take longer than 3 days (no more than 5). And once in ketosis the fat fast should not impact weight loss. It is also important to note that the fat fast is low on protein and that is something that should not be done for long.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: A farm in Missouri
Posts: 218
Gallery: Aruralgirl
Stats: 216/179/160 ht. 5'7
WOE: FF/M&E
Start Date: April 2013
Speaking for myself, FF has worked well for me. I did one last month for 5 days, then went to MFF for another 5. Starting weight was 208.5, finishing weight 201.5. I seemed to settle in around 203 until I did another round this month. With this newest round my starting weight was 202.5, and my finishing weight 197.5. Am up to 198 today, but TOM is just around the corner, and I typically gain some water weight.

But it's definitely not for everyone. I think we are all so different and have to discover what works for each of us.
Aruralgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member
 
April04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC 'burbs
Posts: 351
Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
April04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member
 
Jennafun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 62
Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
Decided to give Fat Fast another try after close to 6 months NK.

So glad I did

FF Weigh-ins:
FF #1 Mon: 174.3
FF #2 Tues: 174.7 (+.4)
FF #3 Wed: 174.3 (0)
FF #4 Thurs: 172.8 (-1.5)
FF #5 Fri Day: 171.7 (-2.6)
NK Sat: 170.9 (-3.4)
NK Sun: 169.1 (-5.2)
WOW! that is awesome Ann. I'm considering a try at it...
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
April04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC 'burbs
Posts: 351
Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Thanks Jenna, I'm so glad I gave it another try, it was just what I needed!
April04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member
 
Jennafun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 62
Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruralgirl View Post
Speaking for myself, FF has worked well for me. I did one last month for 5 days, then went to MFF for another 5. Starting weight was 208.5, finishing weight 201.5. I seemed to settle in around 203 until I did another round this month. With this newest round my starting weight was 202.5, and my finishing weight 197.5. Am up to 198 today, but TOM is just around the corner, and I typically gain some water weight.

But it's definitely not for everyone. I think we are all so different and have to discover what works for each of us.
This is also encouraging...
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member
 
Checkoutchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 80
Gallery: Checkoutchick
Stats: 199/151/143
WOE: Atkins (NANY)
Start Date: 17/06/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
The important thing about doing a fat fast is that is is intended to 'jump start' one into ketosis. It should not take longer than 3 days (no more than 5). And once in ketosis the fat fast should not impact weight loss. It is also important to note that the fat fast is low on protein and that is something that should not be done for long.
In hindsight I think I wasn't prepared enough to do the FF. So I'm giving it another go, day 2 today. After reading everyones successes, I'm quietly hopeful. I'm only planning to do it for three days, hoping that'll be enough.

How do you lovely people proceed when you finish your FF?
Checkoutchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.