Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   4 weeks of NK (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/808591-4-weeks-nk.html)

kathi b 07-23-2013 08:56 PM

4 weeks of NK

One pound more than when I started. 2 inches smaller in the waist.

I think I'm beginning to understand all this a little bit. I started with very low carb and added fat.

Now it looks like it would be a good idea to start with protein level. Gonna look into the book and figure out what a decent protein level is. I'm mostly concerned with blood sugar levels so I'll keep the protein level somewhat on the lower side. Right?

I love reading here. You guys are great. Thanks.

Ntombi 07-23-2013 09:13 PM

Do you have an idea of your ideal weight or your lean body mass? If so, that'll help you get a starting point for protein, which you can then adjust as you need to.

kathi b 07-24-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16528532)
Do you have an idea of your ideal weight or your lean body mass? If so, that'll help you get a starting point for protein, which you can then adjust as you need to.

Ideal weight is in the 125-130 range, depending on which calculator I use.

Lean body mass 116.

I'm 5'6" and currently weigh 186.

Thank you.

emel 07-25-2013 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathi b (Post 16529777)

Lean body mass 116.

Thank you.

Something's not right here. If you preserve your 116 lbs of lean muscle, you'd only be at 11% body fat at 130 lbs. Some female athletes can get away with that low, but not the regular population.

AnnetteW 07-25-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16530222)
Something's not right here. If you preserve your 116 lbs of lean muscle, you'd only be at 11% body fat at 130 lbs. Some female athletes can get away with that low, but not the regular population.

Yes, if you preserve your lean, you only need to get down to 145-155 to have 20-25% bodyfat.

On the excel chart I use I track my daily weight and bodyfat, and then it calculate what I need to weight (based on those numbers) for different bodyfat percentages. It also shows my lean decreasing slightly which isn't good. Lean also includes water weight.

I plugged your numbers into my graph, calculated that you are at ~37.5% bodyfat.

Always nice to know you are leaner than you thought.

It really is a lot about how much lean muscle we carry, and you can see it when you look at people. When I'm thin, I'm super tiny (you can see it in my profile photo, me at under 130). I definitely could use some more muscle.

Punkin 07-25-2013 11:01 AM

Your protein level is experimental. Pick your carbs first. Then start with higher protein. Maybe go the highest recommended and then reduce it until you get it to the place where you want it. Some people have to go quite low on protein to remain in ketosis, where as some people can tolerate much more.

lovetoknit 07-25-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathi b (Post 16529777)

Lean body mass 116.

Thank you.

That weight seems a little low for someone with your height. Especially if you have lots of lean muscle. When I was in my 20's, I was very thin at that weight, and I am 2 inches shorter than you.
Carolyn