Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Megan528
What to eat?

I'm still relatively new to NK and finding out new things everyday, like to count hidden carbs in cheese for example so i appreciate andy tips you feel like sharing. My Main question though is what are we supposed to eat?? I thought I had a pretty good meal plan until I came on here because everybody is posting that HWC, dairy, nuts, veggies, protein, and even too much fat can make you stall or gain. So if all of those could stall ketosis, then what on earth does that leave?

-Megan
Megan528 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan528 View Post
I'm still relatively new to NK and finding out new things everyday, like to count hidden carbs in cheese for example so i appreciate andy tips you feel like sharing. My Main question though is what are we supposed to eat?? I thought I had a pretty good meal plan until I came on here because everybody is posting that HWC, dairy, nuts, veggies, protein, and even too much fat can make you stall or gain. So if all of those could stall ketosis, then what on earth does that leave?

-Megan
Start by eating a little protein and some green vegetables with butter at each meal. Then see how that works for you. If you do not lose weight, try changing things a little. I started low carb by reducing my carbs to under 100 grams a day. I gave up grains and sugar. Then I reduced them every week until I am eating what I am now. I lost 5 pounds the first week, and then did not lose about 3 weeks. I reduced my carbs and upped my fat. I lost more weight. Then I stopped losing for a couple of weeks. I then reduced my protein and gave up nuts. I lose every week now. Surprisingly, I can up my fat and lose weight. So you will need to tweak your diet to what works for you. Some people eat more protein and carbs and do just fine. Right now I never eat more than 5 carbs at any meal. I eat about 60 grams of protein which is about 7 to 8 oz. and the rest of my food in fat. I really do the best when I have a day when I just eat eggs and some sort of fat all day. I don't do that all the time however. I would get bored.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Just because eating too much of some things can slow or stall weight loss doesn't mean that you don't eat them, or that there's nothing to eat. "Too much protein" is a very individual thing, and depends on your level of lean body mass and goal weight. "Too much fat" really means you're eating at maintenance levels, not weight loss levels. Again, that depends I look your current and goal weights, and how much LBM you have (the more muscle you have, the higher your relative metabolism).

It's a matter of starting with the basics (very low carb, moderate protein, high fat) and adjusting for your particular metabolism.

I keep my carbs below 20g total, my protein between 100-140g (roughly), and eat the rest in fat. Practically speaking, that means I eat meats, leafy veggies, dairy, and fat. I don't feel restricted at all.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Just because eating too much of some things can slow or stall weight loss doesn't mean that you don't eat them, or that there's nothing to eat. "Too much protein" is a very individual thing, and depends on your level of lean body mass and goal weight. "Too much fat" really means you're eating at maintenance levels, not weight loss levels. Again, that depends I look your current and goal weights, and how much LBM you have (the more muscle you have, the higher your relative metabolism).

It's a matter of starting with the basics (very low carb, moderate protein, high fat) and adjusting for your particular metabolism.

I keep my carbs below 20g total, my protein between 100-140g (roughly), and eat the rest in fat. Practically speaking, that means I eat meats, leafy veggies, dairy, and fat. I don't feel restricted at all.
Thank you for clearing that up! I guess I just didnt realize people meant only eat those things in moderation. So you pretty much just find whatever balance works for you personally, right?

Also my stats in case anyone has further advice:
So far I've been eating roughly 5g net carb, 150g fat, and 70-80g protein. that comes to about 1700-1900 calories, 3% from carb, 15-17% from protein, and the remaining 80% from fat. Current weight 146 lbs, goal weight
130 lbs, and LBM is 108(I believe) for 5'5.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yes, you figure out what works for you. Some people find that hard cheese is fine, but soft cheeses slow their loss, or nuts hinder their progress, so they make decisions based on their own experiences and issues. Some people are happier losing slightly more slowly but eating a bit more dairy, because that helps keep the plan sustainable for them. It's up to you to understand the basic chemistry, and then tweak the plan so that it works for you, in terms of losses and livability.

Also, understand that you can do everything "perfectly" and not lose the exact same way as someone else, or the same amount week in, week out. Our bodies are complicated machines, so we can only do the best we can, and rely on time to take care of the rest.

I lose in an extremely erratic way, and have times when I'm eating exactly the same thing but don't lose (in fact, bounce up and down on the scale) for weeks at a time, and then drop over a pound several days in a row. Changing absolutely nothing, but the scale weight drops. All I can do is persevere. I've lost over forty pounds since the beginning of the year in that weird way, eating exactly the same, so I just want to encourage you to have patience as well. Everything you do doesn't immediately show up on the scale. It's like building a house. You see the builders there, looking like no progress is being made at the end of each day, but after several months, they've built something quite stunning.

Looking at your absolute numbers (I don't bother with percentages, personally), that looks like a good start. Five net carbs, though? Is there a reason you're staying so low? Most people don't need to be that low to be successful.

Last edited by Ntombi; 07-20-2013 at 07:46 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Yes, you figure out what works for you. Some people find that hard cheese is fine, but soft cheeses slow their loss, or nuts hinder their progress, so they make decisions based on their own experiences and issues. Some people are happier losing slightly more slowly but eating a bit more dairy, because that helps keep the plan sustainable for them. It's up to you to understand the basic chemistry, and then tweak the plan so that it works for you, in terms of losses and livability.

Also, understand that you can do everything "perfectly" and not lose the exact same way as someone else, or the same amount week in, week out. Our bodies are complicated machines, so we can only do the best we can, and rely on time to take care of the rest.

I lose in an extremely erratic way, and have times when I'm eating exactly the same thing but don't lose (in fact, bounce up and down on the scale) for weeks at a time, and then drop over a pound several days in a row. Changing absolutely nothing, but the scale weight drops. All I can do is persevere. I've lost over forty pounds since the beginning of the year in that weird way, eating exactly the same, so I just want to encourage you to have patience as well. Everything you do doesn't immediately show up on the scale. It's like building a house. You see the builders there, looking like no progress is being made at the end of each day, but after several months, they've built something quite stunning.

Looking at your absolute numbers (I don't bother with percentages, personally), that looks like a good start. Five net carbs, though? Is there a reason you're staying so low? Most people don't need to be that low to be successful.
I actually tried increasing my net carbs to about 10g for the reason that you said about making the diet more sustainable/enjoyable and I experienced a 4 lb increase, not to mention my ketostix went to nearly white. I'm not sure if it was the carb increase or because of what exactly I was eating(AS, lots of cheese, HWC). So now I'm trying to stay as close to zero as possible.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
First, Ntombi is wise. She and I compare notes a lot, and we have similar notions of eating.

Quote:
Thank you for clearing that up! I guess I just didnt realize people meant only eat those things in moderation. So you pretty much just find whatever balance works for you personally, right?

Also my stats in case anyone has further advice:
So far I've been eating roughly 5g net carb, 150g fat, and 70-80g protein. that comes to about 1700-1900 calories, 3% from carb, 15-17% from protein, and the remaining 80% from fat. Current weight 146 lbs, goal weight
130 lbs, and LBM is 108(I believe) for 5'5.
Exactly. We are all different. Some can't do cheese, but some can. Some can't do nuts, but some can. Me, for example--- I have a hard time with flax, but few others do. Identify what works for you.

For protein, we all have a correct level, but it isn't all that simple to find it because there are lots of thoughts and lots of experts' formulas for correct protein. They range from 1 g protein per kg of ideal weight up to 1.5 g protein per kg of ideal weight, or more for active, larger persons (or for persons whose bodies seem to require more for whatever reason). Some people advocate less. My goal is the same as yours, and my 'perfect' number of protein grams is 71 (that's 1.2 g protein per kg ideal weight). I allow up to 80 g protein (1.35 g per kg) if appetite requires it.

Just a note about figuring out percentages--- I agree that actual numbers are more informative, but do make sure you use TOTAL carbs to figure out your percentages. Otherwise the math gets wonky. It's fine to set your carb level in terms of net carbs, though, and I encourage you to dip your toes into new foods after you're losing weight and find your appetite controlled. Look at the atkins official site for ideas on what quantities to add in.

Quote:
I actually tried increasing my net carbs to about 10g for the reason that you said about making the diet more sustainable/enjoyable and I experienced a 4 lb increase, not to mention my ketostix went to nearly white. I'm not sure if it was the carb increase or because of what exactly I was eating(AS, lots of cheese, HWC). So now I'm trying to stay as close to zero as possible.
Yeah, maybe start with a clean meal plan and then pick one food to experiment with.
I'm a big fan of getting green veggies in, so please don't stint on the salads and other LC veggies out of fear. They are packed with nutrients we need (and eating them can make us look normal in restaurants lol)
Old 07-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
You get lots of advice, but you get to pick and choose what to take. You are getting a bomb load of wisdom gleaned from personal experience, but not all of it will apply to you. There are some "truths" that seem to cut across: patience and peristence, or as Emil puts it, keeping calm and carrying on.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote