Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bad Wolf
Stats: 145/144/120
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 07/19/13
Feeling a little ovewhelmed

I've been reading through tons of posts on here and trying to do some research on other websites...

Is there ANYTHING simple about this diet?! Fat fasts, percentages, test strips, too much protein, too little protein, good fats, bad fats, net carbs, total carbs. It seems like too much.

Now I'm questioning everything I eat... I had two strips of bacon and two eggs with sea salt on them for breakfast... did I just completely screw myself?! I feel like I can't handle this.

Did anyone else feel this way? How on earth am I supposed to know exactly what I'm supposed to eat all day?! It seems like everyone does this completely differently so I'm completely confused about what I'm supposed to do.
Bad Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Sure it's simple. Just start with your basic Atkins Induction. There you go....

After a couple weeks, then you decide if you need to tweek.

But first, just getting the junk out, getting the protein up, the fat up, the carbs out. That's it.

You don't have to worry about the detail till later, if ever.

By doing Induction you are basically doing Nutritional Ketosis, just don't overeat the protein, but also there is no need to worry about it when you first start.

And learn to enjoy the foods you eat. I find it gets easier each day.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Agreed...induction is easy. If you're doing Atkins induction, keep your carbs below 20 (I go up to 25), eat only carbs from non-starchy vegies along with protein.

So bacon and eggs for breakfast (or for every meal) are fine. A big salad with protein in it, stir fry with appropriate vegies and your protein (but no rice)...lots of things and very simple.

At some point you may find you're stalled and you have to tweak. At that point you can look at your fats, proteins, etc. However, if you're just starting out, just focus on not going over on the carbs, keeping them low and the right ones, and getting the cravings out of your system. We'll be here when you have more questions. Oh...and you can stay on induction as long as you're happy with it. Many of us never go off induction.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I think very few people start with NK. As the PP said, start with something simpler, like Atkins induction, and don't worry about quantities too much as long as you keep it LC (though moderate protein is a good thing.) After you have a handle on eating LC, you may find you need to tweak to meet your weight loss goals. That is when NK can come into play, and as you will be more confident that you can actually eat LC at that point it will be easier to handle tracking your food intake.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bad Wolf
Stats: 145/144/120
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 07/19/13
Ok, I'm calming down and following the Atkins induction for now. Hopefully I lose weight on it.

I lost 40 pounds last year by doing something similar, so I have to keep reminding myself of that and knowing that I'm being even MORE strict and will probably lose MORE weight. Thanks for all the help!
Bad Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anjikun
NK totally does not have to be complicated. The main thing that distinguishes it from Atkins Induction is that you are specifically targeting ketosis. So once you are going good on Atkins Induction you can just get a meter (the meters are generally free, you just pay for the strips) and check to see if you are in ketosis. If not you tweak carbs/protein down until you get there, and voila: NK. Many people track and I do that sometimes, but once you get used to how many carbs are in stuff you won't even necessarily need to track (depends on the person).
Anjikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
The nice thing about induction, bad wolf, is that nearly everyone here knows the "rules" so it is a nice baseline to work from -- and it has proven its effectiveness over time for most people.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KateRed07
I went from doing a Low Fat diet <yeah....I know , ) right into KETO. I find the Keto lifestyle MUCH more enjoyable and feel great about it!

I have my macros set at 75% Fat/20% Protein/5% Carbs. The rule that worked for me was to eat Meat, Cheese, Veggies & add Oils and Butter. Almost all of my carbs come from veggies....

The first few days was the toughest - getting past the fear that its OK to EAT FAT!!!! I had it programmed in my head since the 90s that Fat was bad - and Fat made you fat. Sooooooo wrong!!!!

Once I got past the couple of days of fatigue - and the guilty of adding butter/oil/full fat cheese and heavy cream into my foods - it was smooth sailing and the weight started coming off! I track EVERYTHING I eat and drink on http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...hone-apps.html....I know some people do not track calories - but its important for me or I do NOT lose!

You can do this!!!!
KateRed07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
I really needed to read this today! So relevant to me right now! Great job everyone!
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote