Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
My mom died from Alzheimer's disease, and I plan to prevent those health problems in my own body. My mom ate a lot of carbs. She did not like healthy food.
Carolyn
My mom died of ALS, which can also be caused by overconsumption of carbs, and I have a 52-year-old sister with Alzheimer's Disease and a 57-year-old sister with Lewey Body Dementia. Both of my sisters eat carbs like crazy and cannot be convinced to stop, believing that it has nothing to do with their dementias.

I am eating zero carb, nutritional ketosis in order to avoid these diseases.

I started a website to collect articles about the connection between carbs and neurological diseases. If you are interested in that, click here to take a look at it.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I think you're making big sweeping statements that do not apply to everyone. Saying that the body CANNOT absorb more than four ounces worth of protein is simply not accurate.

I eat much more than that within that time frame, and my body is clearly not converting it to glucose. I have a loose protein goal of 120g per day (yes, higher than some people), and I often eat only two meals per day, so I'm obviously not parsing it out a little at a time. I have been in constant ketosis since the beginning of the year, losing fat, not muscle.

I took a week and weighed and tracked every morsels of food I ate, so I could see what, if any, effect it had on my blood ketone levels. Finally ordered my first ketone strips! Even on the days when I ate far above my protein range, I was still within the optimal range for nutritional ketosis set forth by Drs. Phinney and Volek.

While I do agree that eating too much protein isn't helpful, and can be detrimental to goals, "too much" isn't universal. I don't think it's helpful to tell people that there are hard and fast protein maximums, when it is clearly an individual thing.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #33
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
My mom died of ALS, which can also be caused by overconsumption of carbs, and I have a 52-year-old sister with Alzheimer's Disease and a 57-year-old sister with Lewey Body Dementia. Both of my sisters eat carbs like crazy and cannot be convinced to stop, believing that it has nothing to do with their dementias.

I started a website to collect articles about the connection between carbs and neurological diseases. If you are interested in that, click here to take a look at it.
Rebecca, so sorry to hear of your loss and that you have sibs that are suffering from metabolic disease in the way that they are. It must be incredibly painful to know that they could help themselves and yet they refuse. A tragic example of just how addictive some carbs are to some people.

I have long realized that my beloved Mother could have been saved from her type 2 diabetes if she only had had the correct information. She was a very compliant patient and that cruel disease did not give her one single break despite her efforts. It is heartbreaking to know now how things could have been so different.......

Off to read your web site. Thank you so much for doing that! It is these things that will eventually turn the tide!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 08-06-2013 at 08:56 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for your kind thoughts, Cathy! I surely do hope that, little by little, we can get the word out.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:

I checked out your web sight. It looks great!
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you for your kind thoughts, Cathy! I surely do hope that, little by little, we can get the word out.
Some people just like their carbs and will not give them up even if they had tons of proof that would help their health. Also since there is so much differing information out there, people choose to believe what they want. It is their body, and they can eat what they want. People look at me with glazed over eyes when I tell them what I have learned. They just do not want to hear it. Most say, "I like eating bread."
Carolyn
Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

My sister, the one with Alzheimer's, said this right before she was diagnosed:

"I'd rather die than give up eating chips."

So sad.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My sister, the one with Alzheimer's, said this right before she was diagnosed:

"I'd rather die than give up eating chips."

So sad.
My mom would not have given up her sugar and starches either. She liked those foods.
Carolyn
Old 08-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #39
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Does that not speak to the absolute power carbs have over us? Every time I hear something like this, it strengthens my resolve to keep them out of my diet entirely.... always.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Does that not speak to the absolute power carbs have over us? Every time I hear something like this, it strengthens my resolve to keep them out of my diet entirely.... always.
Amen.