Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Whey protein shake the culprit?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/808355-whey-protien-shake-culprit.html)

babsinwa 07-20-2013 03:15 AM

Whey protein shake the culprit??

Hi--need help-- been on keto diet for 6 weeks, am experiencing loss of inches but only about 12 pounds --which sounds good except i have over 175lb to lose........i have been taking a daily whey protein /hwc shake to work with me--only has 6 carbs but someone told me that whey powder could be spiking my blood sugar and impeding weight loss--any ideas???

emel 07-20-2013 04:03 AM

I think good whey protein drinks are a great emergency food/road food, but I don't plan them into my daily routine.

Do you track your food, and can we see a typical menu including quantities, and brands of ready-made stuff such as sausages? Also, knowing your reasonable goal weight would be handy for number-crunching.

babsinwa 07-20-2013 04:19 AM

Hi Emel

I do track on ************---im currently 396lbs (down from starting of 412 on june 1st) Typical meals are as follows
b-2 eggs, 2tbs butter, bacon (3 or 4 slices)
L - 3 oz steak, 1 1/2 c green salad, bleu cheese dressing
Sn--pure protein 100% whey --1 scoop
made with .25c heavy whipping cream, water and 1/4 c frozen blueberry

dinner: usually chicken breast, broccoli with cheddar cheese

sometimes if im at work i will also have 1.5 oz blue diamond almonds ( wasabi/soy) or 1/2 avocado. I work graveyards and have been known to have another whey shake when i get home if i am hungry

I honestly dont have a "goal weight" per se (its all downhill from here, lol) I am attempting to enable my body to metabolize stored fat. I am starting a slow burn or eccentric weight training next week, but typically am pretty sedentary.

Any ideas or help appreciated. For the amount of weight I have I expected a greater loss than what has happened so far. I will be getting my meter next week to be able to track if im in nk...

btw--cals for day usually 1700-1900, Carbs below 40, fat around 144g, protein around 120g..

emel 07-20-2013 05:23 AM

Okay. Your numbers look good for a goal of approximately 220. ( I get 120 to 150 g protein, and with your 40 g carbs, your fat intake looks good, in that it rounds out your calorie intake nicely). So that's a fancy way of saying that your macros look good.

I've heard many experts say that whey protein is a good source of protein. But I really don't see anything jumping out from your menu.
Maybe as an experiment you can take a different shake to work for a couple weeks.

Here's a couple of ideas:

--coconut milk with unsweetened almond milk or water, vanilla extract or vanilla SF syrup like daVinci, and your berries. I use Thai house brand undiluted coconut milk-- 1/3 cup is 140 cal, 14 g fat, 3 g carb, 1 g protein... there's another can that is diluted, I don't use that one.

--HWC, full fat cottage cheese (look for a brand that doesn't have food starch and gunk in it), 4-5 strawberries, vanilla or SF syrup, about 2 tsp cocoa powder, a handful of spinach and enough water to make it blend well--definitely need a blender for this one.

Coconut milk iced cofee, alone or with a side of veggie strips and some flavored olive oil or ranch dressing for dipping.

Fake cream of chicken soup--- cup of broth, 1-2 tbl HWC, 1-2 Tbl butter, nuke till hot and can add stuff like dried nori (seaweed) or bits of chicken and/or cooked celery and a little bit of onion. One way to do this for a daily cup at work would be to simmer a few oz chicken (raw or leftover), 1-2 ribs celery, and 1/4 cup onion in 6 cups broth (or broth and water, it will cook down some) and keep it in the frig, and then on the day you want to eat it, pour a cup into your travel mug and add your HWC and butter, and nuke it when you're ready for it.

ETA some of those are lower in protein and higher in fat, so for the rest of your day you'd want a slightly bigger protein serving and perhaps a touch less fat (but probably not much less fat since you're already intelligently adding HWC to the lowfat shake mix.)

And the chicken broth one can be easy--- a bouillon cube if you're not sensitive to msg, or a cup of swanson no added msg broth in the paper carton near the bouillons and soups.

babsinwa 07-20-2013 05:35 AM

thanks for your input!

Im hoping that the eccentric training will maybe tap some of the glycogen hanging out in my skeletal muscle and give me a boost weight loss wise, also considering a fat fast? and for the next week I think I will nix the shakes all together to see what happens............I wont stop til i figure it out, lol......

emel 07-20-2013 05:54 AM

Good luck. I'm pretty sure you'll dial it in since you have a good notion of your needs and you're willing to tweak/experiment.

I tweak some, but then I end up going back to good simple food-- protein sources and their fats, salads and good veggies, olive oil, butter and my daily indulgence of 1 tbl soy-free ranch per salad. I'll occasionally add bacon, HWC, or cheese to add some sparkle to the plate. Once in a while I treat myself to a LC dessert with almond butter, artificial sweeteners and/or cream cheese, but it's been awhile on that one.

lovetoknit 07-20-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babsinwa (Post 16523198)
Hi--need help-- been on keto diet for 6 weeks, am experiencing loss of inches but only about 12 pounds --which sounds good except i have over 175lb to lose........i have been taking a daily whey protein /hwc shake to work with me--only has 6 carbs but someone told me that whey powder could be spiking my blood sugar and impeding weight loss--any ideas???

The way to test this is to give it up for a week, and see if it helps. Other culprits could be nuts, dairy, too many vegetables, and too much protein.
Take one thing out at a time and see if that helps.
Carolyn

Patience 07-20-2013 12:17 PM

Your diet looks pretty darn good, I think you will soon be losing.
If you are not currently using artificial sweeteners, I say good for you.
Don't add them as they can increase sweet cravings in some people.

Sometimes I switch out 2 oz of plain fullfat yogurt for some of my cheese carbs because of the active cultures. I might go that way rather than the cottage cheese. I don't know what the carb tradeoff is, but that would be my preference.

Mistizoom 07-20-2013 04:34 PM

There's nothing wrong with losing 2 lbs. a week even if you are at a higher weight. I drink an Atkins Advantage shake every day and I lose weight. Though it's not all whey - it has casein in it too. Frankly if you are losing pounds and inches I would leave things as they are. No need to mess with what's working. And since you have to stick with this eating plan for life slow and steady will win the race.

emel 07-21-2013 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16523788)
Your diet looks pretty darn good, I think you will soon be losing.
If you are not currently using artificial sweeteners, I say good for you.
Don't add them as they can increase sweet cravings in some people.

Sometimes I switch out 2 oz of plain fullfat yogurt for some of my cheese carbs because of the active cultures. I might go that way rather than the cottage cheese. I don't know what the carb tradeoff is, but that would be my preference.

Most protein shakes have artificial sweeteners in them. But I agree, sweeteners are in the category of "something you use sparingly to make the plan workable and enjoyable for you", not in the category of "food". :)

Oh, and good idea about the yogurt. I didn't think of it because I don't eat it very often.

Patience 07-21-2013 07:08 AM

I am eating it partly for "medicinal purposes" but it is really satisfying.
I am not tempted to overeat. So it is one way I am tweaking toward a WOE that I can live with for the longer term. I sometimes stir in some blueberries or a nice ripe nectarine. By portioning it out I get a small amount of fruit without going over my carb limit.

cfine 07-21-2013 06:52 PM

I would tend to think that you could possibly up your calories some with fat. I am at a much lower weight and I can eat 2000 calories per day and still lose. If I don't eat enough, my weight loss stalls. I would personally go to under 20 net carbs and up the fat. Good luck!

Patience 07-22-2013 06:35 AM

babs, you might also want to try a lower carb protein powder . . . . if whey is the problem, then that is not a solution, but I think you should consider what makes up the carb content of the powder. I have started using Whey Factors unflavored, no sugar or AS. Label says < 1 gram of carb per 20 gram serving.

Baconista 07-22-2013 09:24 PM

I'm about the same weight as you, babs. I'm still toying and tweaking here and there...bound to figure out what my bod wants, one way or another. Good luck :)

babsinwa 07-26-2013 09:15 AM

Ya'll are great!!

and Baconista, to say i love your name would be an understatement......:o