Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7
Gallery: Bad Wolf
Stats: 145/144/120
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 07/19/13
New kid on the block

Good morning!
I've been reading your posts for the last couple of days, doing some reading up on ketosis and today is my first day trying it.

I kinda figured I would start with 25g of carbs, but after reading posts I'm confused if I'm supposed to count net carbs? I have been seeing both. I'm also going to try to do 60g of protein and 140g of fat. Does that seem about right for starters? I know I might have to tweak it a couple of times to get a good formula but this is what I'm starting on.

Also, I've been drinking herbalife shakes, which are pretty low in carbs (7 net carbs) and moderately high in protein, but they do have sugar in the ingredients. Should I just stay away from them while I'm doing this?

Anyway, I'm excited to meet you all!
Bad Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 463
Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
Good morning!
I've been reading your posts for the last couple of days, doing some reading up on ketosis and today is my first day trying it.

I kinda figured I would start with 25g of carbs, but after reading posts I'm confused if I'm supposed to count net carbs? I have been seeing both. I'm also going to try to do 60g of protein and 140g of fat. Does that seem about right for starters? I know I might have to tweak it a couple of times to get a good formula but this is what I'm starting on.

Also, I've been drinking herbalife shakes, which are pretty low in carbs (7 net carbs) and moderately high in protein, but they do have sugar in the ingredients. Should I just stay away from them while I'm doing this?

Anyway, I'm excited to meet you all!
That sounds like a good start. You will need to tweak your diet over the next few weeks so that it works for you. Don't be afraid to change things. Also make sure you add extra salt to your diet. That will help you feel good. Also drink plenty of water. I would stay away from the shakes.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,396
Gallery: Patience
My reply disappeared, as sometimes happens. But I echo Carolyn's suggestion about the shakes.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,794
Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
And I would probably go with carbs total, not net and see how that works first!
catjrow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!
 
emel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 17,635
Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
For your goal weight of 120, I'm getting a minimum protein amt of 54 g. Safer would be 65 g and it is quite possible, especially if you're active, that you'll do better on 80.

It's easier to figure out the numbers and percentages if you count total carbs, but for setting your personal limit, it's fine to think in terms of net carbs. So perhaps choose 20 net carbs as your limit, but when you're doing math to figure out stuff about your macronutrients, plug in the total carbs instead of the net ones to keep your math from getting whacked out.

My goal is only slightly higher than yours, and I do 25 total carbs with no problems, but we're all different.
__________________
Keep calm and carry on.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7
Gallery: Bad Wolf
Stats: 145/144/120
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 07/19/13
Thanks for the replies! I will definitely make sure I'm getting salt. And thanks for the suggestions, emel.

today was my first day and I feel like CRAP. So I'm pretty sure I didn't eat enough. I've been lightheaded and woozy since around 2pm. I'm pretty sure I need to put more fat in there somewhere.
Bad Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!
 
emel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 17,635
Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
Thanks for the replies! I will definitely make sure I'm getting salt. And thanks for the suggestions, emel.

today was my first day and I feel like CRAP. So I'm pretty sure I didn't eat enough. I've been lightheaded and woozy since around 2pm. I'm pretty sure I need to put more fat in there somewhere.
Salt.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Gallery: lmunozjo
WOE: NK, previously high protein low carb
Start Date: 7/11/13
I'm new, too! I have been trying this for a few weeks now and I'm no expert but a few things have helped me: Take it easy on the dairy. It wasn't good for me at all. I'm trying to get a good amount of my fat from plant oils like coconut. Dont count out the veggies, make room for them in your carb count. Eat more than you might think. I started out too low and was hungry and crashed! If you are hungry, eat more, and make sure you get enough salt.
lmunozjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 463
Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmunozjo View Post
I'm new, too! I have been trying this for a few weeks now and I'm no expert but a few things have helped me: Take it easy on the dairy. It wasn't good for me at all. I'm trying to get a good amount of my fat from plant oils like coconut. Dont count out the veggies, make room for them in your carb count. Eat more than you might think. I started out too low and was hungry and crashed! If you are hungry, eat more, and make sure you get enough salt.
The veggies don't work for everyone. I cannot eat very many vegetables. I do not lose if I do. Also vegetables make me hungry. I find that if I do not eat too much protein and eat plenty of fat, I feel better. Also I don't skimp on salt.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7
Gallery: Bad Wolf
Stats: 145/144/120
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 07/19/13
So salt, salt, and more salt. Lol.

I had a big steak and a small amount of peas for dinner and I'm feeling better. I also had a hard boiled egg with lots of salt as a snack. My headache is still here but the wooziness is gone.
Bad Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!
 
emel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 17,635
Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
So salt, salt, and more salt. Lol.

I had a big steak and a small amount of peas for dinner and I'm feeling better. I also had a hard boiled egg with lots of salt as a snack. My headache is still here but the wooziness is gone.
Yeah, a lot of times after you get a headache from caffeine-withdrawal or salt deficit, it doesn't go away when you feed it.

Peas in the pod (like snap peas or peapods) are a good choice, but green peas are a bit starchy for a veg choice. How about green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, or zucchini or asparagus instead, with melted butter or olive oil, and maybe a little parmesan and garlic?
Or a nice green salad w/full fat dressing/olive oil.
Shoot for about a tbl of added fat or oil per serving, 4 to 6 servings per day (more for larger persons and men).

I always figure that people who think they don't like a lot of veggies might like a lot of them when they remember that it is good to add butter or olive oil to them. And salt.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
luigi_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 84
Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
my journey experience

hi bad wolf

just wanted to share my experience getting into regular ketosis, the first couple of months i felt very sluggish working out but i persevered, went through a really smelly period, and had metal taste in throat a lot, i used that as a guide reassuring me i was in ketosis which my blood ketone strips verified. 11 months into it all the symptoms have gone, the last thing to go was the metalic taste, that only went away a month ago.

Now I know everyone is different but I thought you might like to know someones experience
luigi_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 463
Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
So salt, salt, and more salt. Lol.

I had a big steak and a small amount of peas for dinner and I'm feeling better. I also had a hard boiled egg with lots of salt as a snack. My headache is still here but the wooziness is gone.
The peas probably took you out of ketosis. Try eating some broccoli or cauliflower instead. Mashed cauliflower with butter, cream or sour cream, and salt and pepper tastes almost like mashed potatoes.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7
Gallery: Bad Wolf
Stats: 145/144/120
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 07/19/13
Aw crap. That's not what I want! I made sure the peas still kept me under my carb level, but I will avoid them now. So I'm gathering dairy is ok? High fat dairy?
Bad Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7
Gallery: Bad Wolf
Stats: 145/144/120
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 07/19/13
Also, if I'm being annoying with all the questions, feel free to let me know. I am finding a lot of conflicting information on the internet, so it's confusing, but at least know I am trying to find the answer on my own before asking you guys first.
Bad Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!
 
emel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 17,635
Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Don't worry about asking questions. It's fine.

Full fat dairy is the way to go when you're doing dairy. HEavy whipping cream. Hard natural cheeses. Cream cheese, sour cream. Delicious brie or other gooey cheese. All are full-fat---don't use that reduced fat or 2% milk stuff. And if you like creamy dressing for your salad, go with full fat dressing like ranch or blue cheese.
Aim for 1 carb or less per serving of these foods.

Remember that it is good to keep intake moderate.
Atkins (the most recent version of their book was written by the top of the field of nutritional ketosis science) says to limit cheese to 4 oz per day, and there's also limits on cream/sour cream (what is that, 3 tbl a day? or 3 oz? I forget because I don't use much). Then some folks have to limit artificial sweetneers, but some don't.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,396
Gallery: Patience
Shelled peas are generally good to avoid in early phases.
I generally avoid sugar snap peas (in the pod) as well. I think they are high carb relative to things such as green beans. Someone double check me here.
I dearly love a good green pea soup in the winter, too bad.
All depends on how low you want/need to keep your carbs, though.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!
 
emel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 17,635
Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Shelled peas are generally good to avoid in early phases.
I generally avoid sugar snap peas (in the pod) as well. I think they are high carb relative to things such as green beans. Someone double check me here.
I dearly love a good green pea soup in the winter, too bad.
All depends on how low you want/need to keep your carbs, though.
I eat pea pods as part of a veg medley, but I don't choose a whole serving of them. I'll eat a couple from a veggie tray, too, but I'll also grab the celery and cukes.

And Bella dear, you'll like this. I've used bacon or ham instead of the smoked turkey.
"SPLIT PEA" SOUP - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 463
Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
Aw crap. That's not what I want! I made sure the peas still kept me under my carb level, but I will avoid them now. So I'm gathering dairy is ok? High fat dairy?
To get some calcium, I eat high fat cheese. Heavy cream, butter, and cream cheese are usually fine. Some people have to give up dairy, but I wouldn't unless absolutely necessary to lose weight. I would lower carbs and protein first.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,346
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post

And Bella dear, you'll like this. I've used bacon or ham instead of the smoked turkey.
"SPLIT PEA" SOUP - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
Agreed!!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,396
Gallery: Patience
I will try this for sure! I know I'll sub meaty hamhocks . . about the only ham I eat. Celery for sure and garlic. Enough carrot for color (hopefully they will have a place in my diet by then).
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,346
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Bella, you will be surprised how much it looks and tastes just like the high carb version of pea soup. I did add a few shredded baby carrots to the batch at the end just for visual pleasure. They don't add much in the way of carbs / serving.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.