Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   New kid on the block (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/808313-new-kid-block.html)

Bad Wolf 07-19-2013 09:46 AM

New kid on the block

Good morning!
I've been reading your posts for the last couple of days, doing some reading up on ketosis and today is my first day trying it.

I kinda figured I would start with 25g of carbs, but after reading posts I'm confused if I'm supposed to count net carbs? I have been seeing both. I'm also going to try to do 60g of protein and 140g of fat. Does that seem about right for starters? I know I might have to tweak it a couple of times to get a good formula but this is what I'm starting on.

Also, I've been drinking herbalife shakes, which are pretty low in carbs (7 net carbs) and moderately high in protein, but they do have sugar in the ingredients. Should I just stay away from them while I'm doing this?

Anyway, I'm excited to meet you all! :jumpjoy:

lovetoknit 07-19-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Wolf (Post 16522221)
Good morning!
I've been reading your posts for the last couple of days, doing some reading up on ketosis and today is my first day trying it.

I kinda figured I would start with 25g of carbs, but after reading posts I'm confused if I'm supposed to count net carbs? I have been seeing both. I'm also going to try to do 60g of protein and 140g of fat. Does that seem about right for starters? I know I might have to tweak it a couple of times to get a good formula but this is what I'm starting on.

Also, I've been drinking herbalife shakes, which are pretty low in carbs (7 net carbs) and moderately high in protein, but they do have sugar in the ingredients. Should I just stay away from them while I'm doing this?

Anyway, I'm excited to meet you all! :jumpjoy:

That sounds like a good start. You will need to tweak your diet over the next few weeks so that it works for you. Don't be afraid to change things. Also make sure you add extra salt to your diet. That will help you feel good. Also drink plenty of water. I would stay away from the shakes.
Carolyn

Patience 07-19-2013 11:59 AM

My reply disappeared, as sometimes happens. But I echo Carolyn's suggestion about the shakes.

catjrow3 07-19-2013 12:33 PM

And I would probably go with carbs total, not net and see how that works first!

emel 07-19-2013 12:41 PM

For your goal weight of 120, I'm getting a minimum protein amt of 54 g. Safer would be 65 g and it is quite possible, especially if you're active, that you'll do better on 80.

It's easier to figure out the numbers and percentages if you count total carbs, but for setting your personal limit, it's fine to think in terms of net carbs. So perhaps choose 20 net carbs as your limit, but when you're doing math to figure out stuff about your macronutrients, plug in the total carbs instead of the net ones to keep your math from getting whacked out.

My goal is only slightly higher than yours, and I do 25 total carbs with no problems, but we're all different.

Bad Wolf 07-19-2013 06:03 PM

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely make sure I'm getting salt. And thanks for the suggestions, emel.

today was my first day and I feel like CRAP. So I'm pretty sure I didn't eat enough. I've been lightheaded and woozy since around 2pm. I'm pretty sure I need to put more fat in there somewhere.

emel 07-19-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Wolf (Post 16522920)
Thanks for the replies! I will definitely make sure I'm getting salt. And thanks for the suggestions, emel.

today was my first day and I feel like CRAP. So I'm pretty sure I didn't eat enough. I've been lightheaded and woozy since around 2pm. I'm pretty sure I need to put more fat in there somewhere.

Salt.

lmunozjo 07-19-2013 07:27 PM

I'm new, too! I have been trying this for a few weeks now and I'm no expert but a few things have helped me: Take it easy on the dairy. It wasn't good for me at all. I'm trying to get a good amount of my fat from plant oils like coconut. Dont count out the veggies, make room for them in your carb count. Eat more than you might think. I started out too low and was hungry and crashed! If you are hungry, eat more, and make sure you get enough salt.

lovetoknit 07-19-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmunozjo (Post 16523021)
I'm new, too! I have been trying this for a few weeks now and I'm no expert but a few things have helped me: Take it easy on the dairy. It wasn't good for me at all. I'm trying to get a good amount of my fat from plant oils like coconut. Dont count out the veggies, make room for them in your carb count. Eat more than you might think. I started out too low and was hungry and crashed! If you are hungry, eat more, and make sure you get enough salt.

The veggies don't work for everyone. I cannot eat very many vegetables. I do not lose if I do. Also vegetables make me hungry. I find that if I do not eat too much protein and eat plenty of fat, I feel better. Also I don't skimp on salt.
Carolyn

Bad Wolf 07-19-2013 08:05 PM

So salt, salt, and more salt. Lol.

I had a big steak and a small amount of peas for dinner and I'm feeling better. I also had a hard boiled egg with lots of salt as a snack. My headache is still here but the wooziness is gone.

emel 07-20-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Wolf (Post 16523068)

I had a big steak and a small amount of peas for dinner and I'm feeling better. I also had a hard boiled egg with lots of salt as a snack. My headache is still here but the wooziness is gone.

Yeah, a lot of times after you get a headache from caffeine-withdrawal or salt deficit, it doesn't go away when you feed it.

Peas in the pod (like snap peas or peapods) are a good choice, but green peas are a bit starchy for a veg choice. How about green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, or zucchini or asparagus instead, with melted butter or olive oil, and maybe a little parmesan and garlic?
Or a nice green salad w/full fat dressing/olive oil.
Shoot for about a tbl of added fat or oil per serving, 4 to 6 servings per day (more for larger persons and men).

I always figure that people who think they don't like a lot of veggies might like a lot of them when they remember that it is good to add butter or olive oil to them. And salt. :)

luigi_uk 07-20-2013 04:43 AM

my journey experience

hi bad wolf

just wanted to share my experience getting into regular ketosis, the first couple of months i felt very sluggish working out but i persevered, went through a really smelly period, and had metal taste in throat a lot, i used that as a guide reassuring me i was in ketosis which my blood ketone strips verified. 11 months into it all the symptoms have gone, the last thing to go was the metalic taste, that only went away a month ago.

Now I know everyone is different but I thought you might like to know someones experience :hiya:

lovetoknit 07-20-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Wolf (Post 16523068)

The peas probably took you out of ketosis. Try eating some broccoli or cauliflower instead. Mashed cauliflower with butter, cream or sour cream, and salt and pepper tastes almost like mashed potatoes.
Carolyn

Bad Wolf 07-20-2013 09:48 AM

Aw crap. That's not what I want! I made sure the peas still kept me under my carb level, but I will avoid them now. So I'm gathering dairy is ok? High fat dairy?

Bad Wolf 07-20-2013 09:56 AM

Also, if I'm being annoying with all the questions, feel free to let me know. I am finding a lot of conflicting information on the internet, so it's confusing, but at least know I am trying to find the answer on my own before asking you guys first.

emel 07-20-2013 10:19 AM

Don't worry about asking questions. It's fine.

Full fat dairy is the way to go when you're doing dairy. HEavy whipping cream. Hard natural cheeses. Cream cheese, sour cream. Delicious brie or other gooey cheese. All are full-fat---don't use that reduced fat or 2% milk stuff. And if you like creamy dressing for your salad, go with full fat dressing like ranch or blue cheese.
Aim for 1 carb or less per serving of these foods.

Remember that it is good to keep intake moderate.
Atkins (the most recent version of their book was written by the top of the field of nutritional ketosis science) says to limit cheese to 4 oz per day, and there's also limits on cream/sour cream (what is that, 3 tbl a day? or 3 oz? I forget because I don't use much). Then some folks have to limit artificial sweetneers, but some don't.

Patience 07-21-2013 09:36 AM

Shelled peas are generally good to avoid in early phases.
I generally avoid sugar snap peas (in the pod) as well. I think they are high carb relative to things such as green beans. Someone double check me here.
I dearly love a good green pea soup in the winter, too bad.
All depends on how low you want/need to keep your carbs, though.

emel 07-22-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16524838)
Shelled peas are generally good to avoid in early phases.
I generally avoid sugar snap peas (in the pod) as well. I think they are high carb relative to things such as green beans. Someone double check me here.
I dearly love a good green pea soup in the winter, too bad.
All depends on how low you want/need to keep your carbs, though.

I eat pea pods as part of a veg medley, but I don't choose a whole serving of them. I'll eat a couple from a veggie tray, too, but I'll also grab the celery and cukes.

And Bella dear, you'll like this. I've used bacon or ham instead of the smoked turkey.
"SPLIT PEA" SOUP - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

lovetoknit 07-22-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Wolf (Post 16523627)
Aw crap. That's not what I want! I made sure the peas still kept me under my carb level, but I will avoid them now. So I'm gathering dairy is ok? High fat dairy?

To get some calcium, I eat high fat cheese. Heavy cream, butter, and cream cheese are usually fine. Some people have to give up dairy, but I wouldn't unless absolutely necessary to lose weight. I would lower carbs and protein first.
Carolyn

drjlocarb 07-23-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16526022)

And Bella dear, you'll like this. I've used bacon or ham instead of the smoked turkey.
"SPLIT PEA" SOUP - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Agreed!! :yummy:

Patience 07-23-2013 01:13 PM

I will try this for sure! I know I'll sub meaty hamhocks . . about the only ham I eat. Celery for sure and garlic. Enough carrot for color (hopefully they will have a place in my diet by then).

drjlocarb 07-24-2013 05:18 AM

Bella, you will be surprised how much it looks and tastes just like the high carb version of pea soup. I did add a few shredded baby carrots to the batch at the end just for visual pleasure. They don't add much in the way of carbs / serving.