Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Hi, I am new and I love fat, just not my own! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/807837-hi-i-am-new-i-love-fat-just-not-my-own.html)

niciK 07-11-2013 06:18 PM

Hi, I am new and I love fat, just not my own!
 
Hello all,

I am back to low carb. I am in my 3rd week. I am looking for some ideas and motivation to do this. I am in ketosis and do not wish to come out until end of goal.
Does anyone have a week of menu ideas? I do the coconut oil and butter in coffee, I eat lots of fats. I am wonder if it is too much fat?
I am very confused, as I do not know if I should add more fat, lessen it, add more carbs ect.

Right now I do about 140 grams of fat, 80-100 grams of protein and about 5 grams of carbs.
about 2000-2500 a day. some days higher, some days lower . A few days a week are very high, eating legal stuff, but a bit more like 7 ounces of cheese..ect.

Any tips are welcome. TIA

emel 07-12-2013 06:32 AM

Your calculations are off somewhere---
140 fat + 100 Pro + 5 carb= 1680 cal

Are you eating any veggies? 5 g carbs a day sounds mighty low (or is that net? I count total). Veggies are good for us because they provide vitamins and minerals. Definitely supplement with a good multi vitamin/multi mineral if you're not eating them.

You're over 75% fat, about 20% protein, and a bit over 1% carb.
YOur protein seems correct if your goal weight is appropriate for your body.

You can monkey around with a food tracker to come up with tasty meal plans.
Until we hammer out your actual calorie to nutrient numbers, it will be hard to come up with accurate meal plans.

Patience 07-12-2013 07:40 AM

Be sure and count cheese carb accurately. It the label says 0 per ounce serving, for example, it means carb countent has not been rounded up to 1. With multiple servings of cheese you are getting carbs from cheese that you may be undercounting. I eat cheese but I work to never go over 4 ounces. That's Atkins inducation level, seems reasonable to me. As much as I love cheese, I savor the small amounts. Over time 4 ounces really seems like quite a lot. I am still working my head around this plan, so others can sure offer better advice than I can. Hang around and ask questions, that's the ticket.

lovetoknit 07-12-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niciK (Post 16510818)
Hello all,

I am back to low carb. I am in my 3rd week. I am looking for some ideas and motivation to do this. I am in ketosis and do not wish to come out until end of goal.
Does anyone have a week of menu ideas? I do the coconut oil and butter in coffee, I eat lots of fats. I am wonder if it is too much fat?
I am very confused, as I do not know if I should add more fat, lessen it, add more carbs ect.

Right now I do about 140 grams of fat, 80-100 grams of protein and about 5 grams of carbs.
about 2000-2500 a day. some days higher, some days lower . A few days a week are very high, eating legal stuff, but a bit more like 7 ounces of cheese..ect.

Any tips are welcome. TIA

If you are staying very low carb and moderate protein and you do not lose weight, then try eating less fat. Also some people have problems when they eat nuts and seeds, dairy, and/or too many vegetables. You will have to tweak your diet to make it work for you. I think it really takes a month to tweak it to a point where you lose in a consistent manner. The first week, everyone usually loses a lot, but it slows down after that, so do not be discouraged.
Carolyn

niciK 07-12-2013 04:18 PM

Thanks. I think overall I am eating too many calories, too much added fat in the form of blue cheese dressing on everything and the bulletproof coffee before breakfast.

I am going to cut calories a bit and see how I do for a week or 2.
I am also adding more veggies and changing how I get fat.

clackley 07-14-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niciK (Post 16512419)
Thanks. I think overall I am eating too many calories, too much added fat in the form of blue cheese dressing on everything and the bulletproof coffee before breakfast.

I am going to cut calories a bit and see how I do for a week or 2.
I am also adding more veggies and changing how I get fat.

If you make all those changes at once, how will you know what the solution is?:dunno:

Patience 07-14-2013 09:22 AM

Tough short term choice . . . losing weight or knowing why?

He's been getting feedback on another thread and there's a lot of consensus about cutting back on "tons of blue cheese dressing."

clackley 07-14-2013 10:31 AM

Thanks Bella. I hate to see people do a bunch of changes all at once and inevitably place the blame on things that may or may not be the cause. It can make life far more restrictive than necessary.

lovetoknit 07-14-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16514547)
Thanks Bella. I hate to see people do a bunch of changes all at once and inevitably place the blame on things that may or may not be the cause. It can make life far more restrictive than necessary.

I think that is true. What I ended up doing is taking out almost everything but the protein and fat, and then I added in one thing at a time to see how it affected me. It took me a while, but now I know what to expect from the food I eat.
Carolyn

Patience 07-14-2013 03:00 PM

I get what what you are saying.

niciK 07-15-2013 10:31 PM

Hi all! I agree so much. I got a LOT of feedback in the main lobby.

I know myself and I can't do too many changes all at once. I am lowering calories, this is done by lowering my fats. I was adding fats to fatty foods.
Yes I got blasted for my blue cheese usage, lol. I am cutting back on it.

I am adding a bit of veggies, but will be under 20 grams a day still. I was not eating any veggies except spinach and a salad.

I am a female btw. ;) I admit I am still confused. I need to listen to advice, but not heed it all at once. Too overwhelming and conflicting.

Patience 07-29-2013 11:30 AM

That's kind of where I am niciK. Try to do one thing at a time and if it works, convert it into a habit. I do like to hear lots of opinions, and then sift through it. Conflicting isn't bad . . it's to be expected to some extent since we are unique individuals. Trying to do everything at once is overwhelming to me. Less overwhelming to take one step at a time. As several posters have said, we got to where we are one day at a time, so it's going to take some commitment of days to get to a healthier lighter feel-better place.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:26 PM.