Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Fat percentage in your cream?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/807743-fat-percentage-your-cream.html)

Hot Potato 07-10-2013 04:09 PM

Fat percentage in your cream??

I'm curious...when we all talk "cream" are we taking about the same thing. I mean cream is cream, but are is the fat content the same?

Similarly, are there additives in the cream you use? (Thickeners,etc)

So...what is the fat content of your cream? :)

catjrow3 07-10-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Potato (Post 16509000)
I'm curious...when we all talk "cream" are we taking about the same thing. I mean cream is cream, but are is the fat content the same?

Similarly, are there additives in the cream you use? (Thickeners,etc)

So...what is the fat content of your cream? :)

Mine is Daily Chef... heavy whipping cream
Calories 65/per tbsp
fat: 7 gram 98% fat...
ingredients... cream (milk), carrageenan, mono and diglyercides. Thats all..

Ntombi 07-10-2013 04:37 PM

Trader Joe's organic heavy whipping cream.

40% butterfat
50 cals per serving, 50 cals from fat

Ingredient: Organic pasteurized cream

Patience 07-10-2013 04:55 PM

Organic Valley HWC label says
50 calories per 1 TPS serving
50 calories from fat
total fat 6 grams

I don't see where it says % butter fat

ingredients: organic pasturized cream (milk), carrageenan.

Hot Potato 07-10-2013 05:03 PM

Okay, so I am not in the US so my brands are different but I use...

Gippsland Dairy Double Cream - 51% milk fat. Only ingredient is pasteurised cream.

For cooking I use Bulla Thickened Cream - 35% milk fat. Ingredients cream and halal gelatine.

Ntombi 07-10-2013 05:11 PM

Double cream isn't widely available here.

Hot Potato 07-10-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16509086)
Double cream isn't widely available here.

It's funny how things are widely available in one country and not at all in another. I mean things that are not culturally specific.

I can only get a couple of brands of pork rinds (both containing hydrolised soy protein :( )

If you can get double cream, I highly recommend it in coffee!!! It is 94cals a tbs so if you watch your calories, maybe not so much :D

SlowSure 07-11-2013 01:19 AM

We have many varieties of cream in the UK and we import more dairy from Europe.

Single cream: minimum of 18 per cent butterfat

Whipping cream: minimum of 35 per cent butterfat

Double cream: minimum of 48 per cent butterfat

Clotted cream: minimum of 55 per cent butterfat

We have the usual soured cream, plus a range of fromage blanc, fromage frais (2-8% fat) etc. and Crème fraiche which is 30-45% butterfat plus Polish dairy, Italian dairy etc.

lovetoknit 07-11-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16509503)
We have many varieties of cream in the UK and we import more dairy from Europe.

Single cream: minimum of 18 per cent butterfat

Whipping cream: minimum of 35 per cent butterfat

Double cream: minimum of 48 per cent butterfat

Clotted cream: minimum of 55 per cent butterfat

We have the usual soured cream, plus a range of fromage blanc, fromage frais (2-8% fat) etc. and Crème fraiche which is 30-45% butterfat plus Polish dairy, Italian dairy etc.

I just buy the heavy whipping cream. That is the highest fat content I can find. I haven't seen double cream in our area.
Carolyn

Punkin 07-11-2013 12:38 PM

I use half and half instead of milk which is 10% and table cream for coffee which is 18%. I also use table cream for salad dressing, it works well with fresh lemon juice to coagulate.

lovetoknit 07-11-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoknit (Post 16510061)
I just buy the heavy whipping cream. That is the highest fat content I can find. I haven't seen double cream in our area.
Carolyn

Also, I wanted to say that my cream has 5 grams of fat per tablespoon and the package says that all of the calories are fat. So it is very high fat.
Carolyn

Hot Potato 07-11-2013 04:53 PM

I think the calories from all cream are from fat??
There are only trace amounts of protein and carbs (which makes it so great!!! :) )

Eta - just checked. The cream I use for cooking is 35% fat. In Australia, it is what people would think of as "everyday" cream. A tablespoon (20ml) has 7gm fat.

The double cream, which is 51% fat, has 10gm fat per tablespoon.

I imagine you could get higher fat cream in Europe. (But, then again, it gets to the point that it's not cream it's butter!! :D )

Ntombi 07-11-2013 04:55 PM

Yes.

SlowSure 07-12-2013 04:10 AM

It's true - legally, stuff which is a cream in the UK can be sold as butter in other countries. UK butter tends to have a minimum of 84% to be legally classed as butter (we can purchase a higher % by fat butter which you need to add water to if you're baking with it).

A while ago there was a piece about Patrik Johansson. aka the Butter Viking, who now sells his butter in a London food market and some shops. People rave about his butter.
Quote:

His butter is served at Noma in Copenhagen, voted best restaurant in the world by Restaurant magazine three years in a row. Multi-Michelin starred chef Joël Robuchon has shown interest in it and Johansson is developing the most buttery butter possible for Heston Blumenthal. The idea is to get solid butter to taste as if it has been heated to its melting point – the high concentration of diacetyl in the melted stuff boosts its buttery taste.
Patrik Johansson: Spreading the word about good butter | Life and style | The Guardian

There is a Danish expression, ''tooth butter'', which indicates a preference for slicing on/spreading a layer of butter until it's thick enough that when you chomp into it (on a slice of bread, say) and look at the remainder of the slice, you've left definable tooth marks. I don't know what the NK equivalent would be - slicing it onto an oopsie or a beef roll-up? :)

gordita 07-12-2013 01:08 PM

I'm in the US and I get heavy whipping cream. Some of them contain other ingredients, but my favorite just says: heavy whipping cream.

djlottawa 07-19-2013 08:32 PM

My wife remembers clothing cream as a kid living in Newfoundland. Now, of course try buying that from a farmer and he is likely to get arrested. We are trying to find it around here.

I did find a place that sells double cream but God it's expensive. A small glass container is like $8.