Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Zera
how to count protein grams

Hello

I know this is a rookie question that seemed at first to me to have an obvious answer but I'm overthinking it and now confused.

When counting protein grams are you counting the weight of the meat or the nutritional value of protein grams?

For example the weight of 28 grams of cooked chicken has 8 grams of protein.
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat and skin, cooked, roasted

I need to use the 28 grams to count my daily total of protein intake not the 8 grams, correct?

Thank you
Zera is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
afaik, you count the 8g of protein for your protein intake and you count the fat grammes separately for that running total.

There are some useful pointers in how to calculate such things in the early posts of: High Fat NK 80/15/5 - April Version
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Really??? That's a huge difference. I've been going by the weight of the protein not the nutritional value.

Using the below link that calculates the nutritional value of the chicken I'm seriously under what my protein should be if that's my guide.

Wow.

Thank you
Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Meat doesn't only have protein. There's fat and water and sometimes carbs as well.

If you're tracking all your food, you input the total weight of the food you're eating, and the program will tell you how many grams of protein, fat, carbs, are in your totals.

If you're trying to stay below a certain amount, you can check to see how many grams of protein are in that chicken, or ground beef, or whatever, so that you can stay on track.

But no, you don't only upload the amount of protein grams, otherwise the app thinks you're only eating a few grams of food!
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zera View Post
Hello

I know this is a rookie question that seemed at first to me to have an obvious answer but I'm overthinking it and now confused.

When counting protein grams are you counting the weight of the meat or the nutritional value of protein grams?

For example the weight of 28 grams of cooked chicken has 8 grams of protein.
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat and skin, cooked, roasted

I need to use the 28 grams to count my daily total of protein intake not the 8 grams, correct?

Thank you
As the others stated, you count the nutritional information. I keep a running total in my head. Each oz of proteins counts about 7 or 8 grams of protein. Chicken has 8 grams of protein per oz, so if you eat 3 oz of chicken, you usually get 24 grams of protein. Unless some of that is skin. You would get more fat in that case. An egg has 7 grams of protein. Anyway I go to Calorie King and check out my stuff there. I don't use their program or anything like that. I actually made up an Excel spreadsheet to write my stuff into and keep track of everything. I don't use it right now. I did when I first started, to keep track of everything. Now I know what my body does, so I don't need it. There are a lot of sights that give nutritional information. One is the USDA sight.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for all the responses. I've been going by weight of a piece of meat not the nutritional value which means I'm not eating enough protein like by alot.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zera View Post
Thank you for all the responses. I've been going by weight of a piece of meat not the nutritional value which means I'm not eating enough protein like by alot.
Right, but it's not hard to get enough protein. 28 g of chicken is only one ounce and hopefully you are eating more than that. If you eat 4 ounces/approx. 100 g chicken according to the link you cited that is 30 g of protein which is one-half to one-third of the protein that many people require for a day.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote