Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   How many eggs are too many? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/807568-how-many-eggs-too-many.html)

kathi b 07-07-2013 02:08 PM

How many eggs are too many?

Eggs are on sale at the local drugstore, which makes me wonder - how many eggs are too many? I could easily eat a dozen in a day. With fat, of course.

Any reason too many eggs are a bad idea?

sarahnya 07-07-2013 02:39 PM

I eat at 2-3 for breakfast in the form of an omelet and don't find the small amount of carbs in them cause me any trouble with my blood sugar or knocks me out of ketosis.

emel 07-07-2013 02:44 PM

Eggs are great. Eat them up.

metqa 07-07-2013 03:23 PM

You know you've had too many eggs when the site, smell or taste of them make you want to run away. if that is after 1 or after a dozen, then so be it!

Great to find a sale. I've bought up to 6 dozen eggs at a time before. great for making oopsies.

cb83 07-07-2013 04:17 PM

I usually have 2-3 for breakfast, 1-2 HB on my salad for lunch, and another 4+ for snacks and dinner. I go through quite a few per week. So many variations and uses.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...VDu/weight.png

djlottawa 07-07-2013 05:53 PM

Was just searching for same thing. Local drug store here has them on sale also and I just bought 24, and going back out tonight to buy another 24. I eat about 3-4 a day now and of course use them for baking and such. I also wanted to try a recipe for a egg bun for burgers.

lilbeetle 07-07-2013 09:08 PM

My family of 2 adults, one teenager and one toodler easily get thru 60 eggs a week. Thats just over 2 eggs each a day.

If you keep them in the fridge, they last for months.

lovetoknit 07-08-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathi b (Post 16503882)
Eggs are on sale at the local drugstore, which makes me wonder - how many eggs are too many? I could easily eat a dozen in a day. With fat, of course.

Any reason too many eggs are a bad idea?

I think you have to consider how much protein and carbs that you are eating in a day. Other than that, I would not think that a dozen a day as long as you are not eating other sources of protein is too many. You would get about 84 grams of protein in a dozen eggs and about 4 grams of carbs. I read about a guy who only ate eggs to lose weight. His doctor was very upset with him because the doctor thought that his numbers would be bad. But it actually improve his cholesterol numbers immensely. Eggs are very healthy to eat.
Carolyn

clackley 07-08-2013 12:55 PM

:goodpost: I agree with Carolyn.:)

Bobby_Boomer 07-08-2013 01:54 PM

The only problem I can see (I'm not a doctor or nutritionalist) is if you have arthritis or bursitis. Eggs can aggravate that problem due to the high arachidonic acid content.

I have experience with that.

cb83 07-08-2013 04:07 PM

The Incredible Edible Egg!!!

metqa 07-08-2013 09:02 PM

has anyone else heard of baking eggs in the oven to achieve a hard "boiled" egg. I tried it and it was really neat. I have an electric oven and I put the eggs in silicon muffin cups and baked it at 350 for 35 minutes, then dumped them into ice water. ( My eggs are over two weeks old also. i always keep some eggs of of the dozen be be my old boilers)

Anyway, I hate making boiled eggs cause I can't peel eggs cleanly at all and not only did they cook, they had NO green edges and the peeled easily, except one but 75% success is better than what I usually get which is pitted pulled apart whites.

Ntombi 07-08-2013 09:09 PM

I do that all the time, metqa, have for several years now. It's the only way I make hard boiled eggs nowadays.

I put them directly on the rack of a cold oven, turn it to 350*, and plunge them into ice water after thirty minutes.

metqa 07-09-2013 07:09 AM

All the eggs I could have eaten had I known sooner.....

cb83 07-09-2013 01:28 PM

My sister sells Tupperware. She gave me a steamer for the microwave and I can hb 12 eggs in 12-14 minutes. Then rinse them in cold water and put them directly in the fridge. Peel extremely easy and can't tell they're from the microwave.

lovetoknit 07-09-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 16505810)
has anyone else heard of baking eggs in the oven to achieve a hard "boiled" egg. I tried it and it was really neat. I have an electric oven and I put the eggs in silicon muffin cups and baked it at 350 for 35 minutes, then dumped them into ice water. ( My eggs are over two weeks old also. i always keep some eggs of of the dozen be be my old boilers)

Anyway, I hate making boiled eggs cause I can't peel eggs cleanly at all and not only did they cook, they had NO green edges and the peeled easily, except one but 75% success is better than what I usually get which is pitted pulled apart whites.

I have never tried baking them in the oven. I cook my eggs on the stove. I put them in cold water and let them come to a boil. This takes about 8 minutes on my stove. I then turn the burner down to low and cover them with a lid. I then cook them for about 15 minutes more. Then I rinse them with cold water and add ice to the pan with cold water in it. When they are very cold, I then put them in the fridge. They peel beautifully.
Carolyn

Patience 07-09-2013 04:35 PM

I do what you do Carolyn but without the ice. I also crack. After boiling, I rinse with cold tap water, crack them, and rinse again and let them cool in the water. No issues peeling . . . I can't say never because it has happened, but it is rare. My mom, farm girl, always claimed that the fresher the egg, the harder to peel. I can't say, but she gathered eggs daily so probably had some first hand knowledge working for her.

lovetoknit 07-09-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16507124)
I do what you do Carolyn but without the ice. I also crack. After boiling, I rinse with cold tap water, crack them, and rinse again and let them cool in the water. No issues peeling . . . I can't say never because it has happened, but it is rare. My mom, farm girl, always claimed that the fresher the egg, the harder to peel. I can't say, but she gathered eggs daily so probably had some first hand knowledge working for her.

I believe that is true that the fresher the eggs, the harder they are to peel. I think it is because the moisture evaporates out of the egg over time, so there is not so much white in the shell when they are not too fresh. I was raised in the country, and we had our own cow and our own chickens. My dad raised a steer every year for meat for us. My brothers and my dad also went hunting in the fall. We had a huge garden also.
Carolyn

MerryKate 07-10-2013 12:51 AM

One of my favorite ways of cooking them is to make coffee eggs: put eggs in a pan to boil with the appropriate amount of water, then addd ground coffee and onion skins. Cook as usual, but when they're done take them off the heat and let them sit for an hour or so in the water. The eggshells turn a dark brown color, the egg whites turn light brown and the whole egg takes on a rich, nutty taste. They're wonderful. This is a variation on a jewish recipe in which the eggs were baked overnight in the coffee and onion skins at 250 so they wouldn't have to cook on the sabbath.

As much as I love eggs, I have to limit my intake - too many and I just can't face eating them for a few days. :sick: I can't imagine eating a dozen in a day.

metqa 07-10-2013 06:40 PM

I've made Tea Eggs, and they are pretty. I hard boil the eggs first then I crack the shell without peeling it and let is soak overnight in a tea mixture with cloves, cinnamon, and some other spices, I think 5 spice. I've heard of doing it with soy sauce and other savory sauces but haven't tried that yet.

cfine 07-15-2013 01:17 PM

Eggs are a super food.

We have our own chickens and I have always found them very hard to peel when they are fresh. Someone told me to add salt to the water. I did that this morning and the peel came right off and they were only a day or so old. So happy right now!

Janknitz 07-16-2013 01:06 AM

I have an electric pressure cooker with a steam setting. I pour in a cup of water, set the eggs on the steamer rack and set it for 4 minutes (3minutes for soft boilers). It takes about 5 or 6 minutes for the pot to come to pressure, so maybe 10 minutes total. I like that I don't have to watch for the water to boil or worry about cracked eggs. I just plunge the finished eggs into cold water to stop the cooking. They peel like a dream.

Aomiel 07-19-2013 04:16 PM

Oh God...I hope not. I *love* eggs.

An article in Cooking Light just said that eggs are the *best* source of protein because of all of the other nutrients they contain but also you get more bang for your buck when comparing the carbs to the calories.