Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babsinwa
WOE: lchf
your opinion

for a very large person (350lbs +) straight nk or carb cycling for maximum weight loss?? I know the people on extreme weight loss home edition do carb cycling but i think maybe its because they have so much extreme exercise added in......??
babsinwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
There's no reason for someone our size not to stay in ketosis long-term. I've been in ketosis since early January (when I restarted at over 360 lbs), and plan to stay that way. I don't carb cycle, and I don't see the point unless you're a bodybuilder or someone else trying to get down to an abnormally low body fat percentage.

I know some people like it, but it's not for me for several reasons. With carb cycling, you're not really getting the benefits of ketosis as you're constantly in and out of it, and it completely does away with the added benefits of keto-adaptation, which happens after several weeks to months of constant ketosis. Also, if you have any issues with cravings, IMO carb cycling won't help either.

Of course, you posted this in the NK forum, so I think the answers might be skewed.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think the line in my siggy says it all...

Quote:
"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason
The very fact as evidenced by the need to lose weight (excess fat accumulation) is a broken metabolism and to further stress that system with more carbohydrate makes no sense. Carb cycling is what healthy bodies (such as body builders) can get away with but not those of use who already have evident disease.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I think that losing fat should be the primary consideration for anyone who is dangerously overweight.
VLC is the best way to do that IMHO. Getting into ketosis, will shift your metabolism, lessen hunger, and start you on a way of life that can bring you health benefits you can only dream about.
I wish you all the best.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
If you (or someone you know) is 350+ pounds there is no reason for you to carb cycle. A ketogenic diet very low in carbs and moderate in protein would be the best for you, and healthiest long term, regardless of amount weight loss acheived .
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I second everything already said, and add the wisdom of experience. After two years on low-carb, and a seriously long stall, I tried carb cycling for a week. I gained 5 lbs. and it took me several weeks to get them off again by returning to low-carbing. I finally got losing again by trying nutritional ketosis, and I highly recommend it in place of carb cycling. The real downer about carb cycling is that you're always restricting something: on low-carb days it's carbs, but on high carb days you restrict fats. Do yourself a favor and stick to low-carb. Your body will thank you.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote