Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Just wondering about ketostix

I decided to pee on one of these today after quite a long time and expected to get a negative reading as I am pretty certain that I have been in a steady state of ketosis for a LONG time and instead got a moderate reading.

I wonder if anyone else who is using blood ketone strips has also done this little experiment and what results they may have gotten?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
iirc, Dr Georgia Ede of Diagnosis Diet (a blog, much tho' it sounds like a van **** TV show) ran several interesting ketogenic diet experiments with herself as a subject and she reports both urinalysis strips and blood ketone readings for a while.

She certainly did during her evaluation of the ketogenic diet plan (also involved caloric restriction) recommended by Dr. Seyfried in his book, Cancer as a Metabolic Disease. There are several posts about that and she logs both morning and evening readings for a while. In the post that introduces that series, she gives a good overview of ketones and what is measured by urinalysis and blood meters.

Her other personal experiments with ketogenic diets and testing are interesting - and she has a good guest post from a friend who followed such a WOE.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Oh I read her blog that did an excellent summary of Dr. Seyfried's book, Cancer as a Metabolic Disease! I will check out her blog again. Thank you!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I haven't used ketostix for a while, but I'll try to remember to get some the next time I buy the blood ketone strips. I'll test both every day for a week during my next experiment.

I'm someone who tended to register "trace" on the ketostix, probably because I drink a lot and pee a lot, but I don't know that I have ever tested after I've almost certainly been keto-adapted. That's a question that has my interest piqued.

More experiments! Mwahahaha!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
The urine keto reading measures spill or loss of ketones. Spill could be low while blood ketone levels are high because you're burning the fat/fatty acids for energy instead of spilling them out into the urine, and if you're eating efficiently there won't be a lot of ketones to waste, right?

And also, aren't there two kinds of ketones and the stix only measure for one?

Wiki:
Ketone bodies are three different water-soluble biochemicals that are produced as by-products when fatty acids are broken down for energy in the liver. Two of the three are used as a source of energy in the heart and brain while the third (acetone) is a waste product excreted from the body. In the brain, they are a vital source of energy during fasting.[1] Although termed "bodies", they are molecules, not particles.
The three endogenous ketone bodies are acetone, acetoacetic acid, and beta-hydroxybutyric acid,[2] although beta-hydroxybutyric acid is not technically a ketone but a carboxylic acid.

Last edited by emel; 07-10-2013 at 12:31 PM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
And from ketopia:

Of the three types of ketones (acetate, acetoacetate, and beta-hydroxybutyrate) produced by your body, ketostix only measure acetoacetate. This is extremely important to understand, because it turns out that your body produces different quantities of these different types of ketones depending on how long you’ve been in ketosis. If you’ve been in ketosis for a while, you’re going to see a reduction in the “intensity” of what you register on your ketostix for two reasons:

A change in the relative volume of the ketones produced/present in your body
A reduction in the volume of ketones in your urine as your kidneys reduce the amount they secrete.

There's more ketone info on that page for googlers.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote