Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UpErMei
Stats: 158/165/128
Does it have to be complicated?

I'm new to the idea of NK, but not lc or higher fat lc.

The idea of having to buy a special meter and strips intimidates me. Is this necessary? Can I just rely on how I feel and occasionally use ketone test strips?

TIA!
UpErMei is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Testing for ketones with the test strips is a useful tool but totally not a necessity. Lots of people go by how they feel to establish whether they are in ketosis or not and then just adhere to your plan to assure adaption.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: djlottawa
Stats: 265/196/170
WOE: Low carb/Moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: November 2012
I just started also, but I just buy the pee sticks. Cost me like $9 for 50 of them. I use them like every 3 days. But also, I look at my energy level and my waist line.

Only have been on HK for about week and half, but was already on low carb (just around 100-150) for years compared to the high 300s.

I already went from 265 to 198, using different methods, but now I am on HK I notice my belt is loser and that tells me I am losing. I actually tested morning and I have traces (0.5). I am under 50g per day of carbs.
djlottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlottawa View Post
I just started also, but I just buy the pee sticks. Cost me like $9 for 50 of them. I use them like every 3 days. But also, I look at my energy level and my waist line.

Only have been on HK for about week and half, but was already on low carb (just around 100-150) for years compared to the high 300s.

I already went from 265 to 198, using different methods, but now I am on HK I notice my belt is loser and that tells me I am losing. I actually tested morning and I have traces (0.5). I am under 50g per day of carbs.
I wonder if you mean nutritional ketosis and if so, that is low carb, moderate protein and high fat. And it is referred to N.K..
Old 07-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I wonder if you mean nutritional ketosis and if so, that is low carb, moderate protein and high fat. And it is referred to N.K..
Dammit I meant NK lol. stupid typing to fast.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

You also have 'high' protein in your siggy under w.o.e.. N.K. is moderate protein.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Ah. thanks for showing me that. Never even noticed it. After I started reading the forums that is what interested me the most so started doing it. Just never put it as that. Put it as what I was used to.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpErMei View Post

The idea of having to buy a special meter and strips intimidates me. Is this necessary? Can I just rely on how I feel and occasionally use ketone test strips?

TIA!
I don't use any of those. I really don't think that they are necessary.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #10

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
well, hmmm

I had low carbed religiously for years, years! really tight. and shocked as all get out that I was NOT ANYWHERE NEAR ketosis, once I got the meters.

has resulted in a long unpleasant journey trying to figure out what's wrong. Several of the gurus out there put their two cents worth in... nothing that suggested a solution though. turns out low Vitamin D was a big factor, but it's not solved yet.

My point is, if you are doing great without it, don't worry about testing. For those of us who get to a very stubborn stall before anywhere near goal, I think it can be good information.

good luck!
Old 07-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
well, hmmm

I had low carbed religiously for years, years! really tight. and shocked as all get out that I was NOT ANYWHERE NEAR ketosis, once I got the meters.

has resulted in a long unpleasant journey trying to figure out what's wrong. Several of the gurus out there put their two cents worth in... nothing that suggested a solution though. turns out low Vitamin D was a big factor, but it's not solved yet.

My point is, if you are doing great without it, don't worry about testing. For those of us who get to a very stubborn stall before anywhere near goal, I think it can be good information.

good luck!
Add drjlocarb to the list of those on an unpleasant journey!
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlottawa View Post
I buy this bottle and then cut the strips in half... double your money!! Its an awkward process, but hey, save a few pennies!!

Quote:

good luck!
Add me to that list of difficult losers too!! Raven, are you having to add in vitamin D?? What was the problem (just out of curiosity of course)

As for my opinion on the testing, I think the numbers help me get on track and stay there... I could tell also by the losing or not losing part... but I think that seeing it or thinking about it being in the range (blood ketones) keeps me on track and the carbs/protein down! But YMMV.... for sure!
catjrow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I've been back on plan and losing since January. I got the meter for free a few months back, but only got some blood ketone strips this week. I wasn't pressed about it because I was losing. I only got the strips because I'm a numbers geek and I like data. As I'm eating like normal (normal on plan, that is!) and testing, I'm finding that, as I expected, I'm within the optimal zone for fat burning.

I'm not a fast loser, or a consistent loser, but I do lose long-term, so I don't have to tweak things or keep my protein super low, a fact for which I'm very grateful. I eat only the foods on the Induction list, keep my total carb grams below 20, and the excess fat goes away.

If you're doing okay as you are, keep on with it.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 07-03-2013 at 12:30 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
You can do NK by keeping your macronutrient levels in the right range, and if you lose weight doing that then I think you can be pretty confident you are in nutritonal ketosis without buying meter and the test strips. But as others have said, if you stall for a long period of time it could be useful to get the meter at that point.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Quote:
well, hmmm

good luck!
If u don't mind me asking. How did u figure out it was vitamin d and how r u supplementing yourself ????
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #16
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
If u don't mind me asking. How did u figure out it was vitamin d and how r u supplementing yourself ????
Jodie, you might want to send RR a private message. She often doesn't come back to threads and may not have seen this question.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Thanks Cathy!
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahnya
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpErMei View Post

TIA!
You don't HAVE to use them but they are useful at first to gauge what you can and cannot eat as you can see how a certain food effects your ketone levels, once you've sorted that you don't really have to keep checking it.
sarahnya is offline   Reply With Quote