Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Does it have to be complicated? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/807297-does-have-complicated.html)

UpErMei 07-02-2013 03:46 PM

Does it have to be complicated?

I'm new to the idea of NK, but not lc or higher fat lc.

The idea of having to buy a special meter and strips intimidates me. Is this necessary? Can I just rely on how I feel and occasionally use ketone test strips?

TIA!

clackley 07-02-2013 04:26 PM

Testing for ketones with the test strips is a useful tool but totally not a necessity. Lots of people go by how they feel to establish whether they are in ketosis or not and then just adhere to your plan to assure adaption.

djlottawa 07-02-2013 04:28 PM

I just started also, but I just buy the pee sticks. Cost me like $9 for 50 of them. I use them like every 3 days. But also, I look at my energy level and my waist line.

Only have been on HK for about week and half, but was already on low carb (just around 100-150) for years compared to the high 300s.

I already went from 265 to 198, using different methods, but now I am on HK I notice my belt is loser and that tells me I am losing. I actually tested morning and I have traces (0.5). I am under 50g per day of carbs.

clackley 07-02-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djlottawa (Post 16497461)
I just started also, but I just buy the pee sticks. Cost me like $9 for 50 of them. I use them like every 3 days. But also, I look at my energy level and my waist line.

Only have been on HK for about week and half, but was already on low carb (just around 100-150) for years compared to the high 300s.

I already went from 265 to 198, using different methods, but now I am on HK I notice my belt is loser and that tells me I am losing. I actually tested morning and I have traces (0.5). I am under 50g per day of carbs.

I wonder if you mean nutritional ketosis and if so, that is low carb, moderate protein and high fat. And it is referred to N.K..:)

djlottawa 07-02-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16497468)
I wonder if you mean nutritional ketosis and if so, that is low carb, moderate protein and high fat. And it is referred to N.K..:)

Dammit I meant NK lol. stupid typing to fast. :o

clackley 07-02-2013 04:40 PM

:)

You also have 'high' protein in your siggy under w.o.e.. N.K. is moderate protein.

djlottawa 07-02-2013 04:55 PM

Ah. thanks for showing me that. Never even noticed it. After I started reading the forums that is what interested me the most so started doing it. Just never put it as that. Put it as what I was used to.

clackley 07-02-2013 05:02 PM

:shake:

lovetoknit 07-02-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpErMei (Post 16497399)

The idea of having to buy a special meter and strips intimidates me. Is this necessary? Can I just rely on how I feel and occasionally use ketone test strips?

TIA!

I don't use any of those. I really don't think that they are necessary.
Carolyn

ravenrose 07-02-2013 09:38 PM

well, hmmm

I had low carbed religiously for years, years! really tight. and shocked as all get out that I was NOT ANYWHERE NEAR ketosis, once I got the meters.

has resulted in a long unpleasant journey trying to figure out what's wrong. Several of the gurus out there put their two cents worth in... nothing that suggested a solution though. turns out low Vitamin D was a big factor, but it's not solved yet.

My point is, if you are doing great without it, don't worry about testing. For those of us who get to a very stubborn stall before anywhere near goal, I think it can be good information.

good luck!

drjlocarb 07-03-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16497799)
well, hmmm

I had low carbed religiously for years, years! really tight. and shocked as all get out that I was NOT ANYWHERE NEAR ketosis, once I got the meters.

has resulted in a long unpleasant journey trying to figure out what's wrong. Several of the gurus out there put their two cents worth in... nothing that suggested a solution though. turns out low Vitamin D was a big factor, but it's not solved yet.

My point is, if you are doing great without it, don't worry about testing. For those of us who get to a very stubborn stall before anywhere near goal, I think it can be good information.

good luck!

:goodpost: Add drjlocarb to the list of those on an unpleasant journey!

catjrow3 07-03-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djlottawa (Post 16497461)

I buy this bottle and then cut the strips in half... double your money!! Its an awkward process, but hey, save a few pennies!!

Quote:

good luck!

Add me to that list of difficult losers too!! :goodpost: Raven, are you having to add in vitamin D?? What was the problem (just out of curiosity of course)

As for my opinion on the testing, I think the numbers help me get on track and stay there... I could tell also by the losing or not losing part... but I think that seeing it or thinking about it being in the range (blood ketones) keeps me on track and the carbs/protein down! But YMMV.... for sure!

Ntombi 07-03-2013 12:29 PM

I've been back on plan and losing since January. I got the meter for free a few months back, but only got some blood ketone strips this week. I wasn't pressed about it because I was losing. I only got the strips because I'm a numbers geek and I like data. :p As I'm eating like normal (normal on plan, that is!) and testing, I'm finding that, as I expected, I'm within the optimal zone for fat burning.

I'm not a fast loser, or a consistent loser, but I do lose long-term, so I don't have to tweak things or keep my protein super low, a fact for which I'm very grateful. I eat only the foods on the Induction list, keep my total carb grams below 20, and the excess fat goes away.

If you're doing okay as you are, keep on with it. :)

Mistizoom 07-03-2013 08:46 PM

You can do NK by keeping your macronutrient levels in the right range, and if you lose weight doing that then I think you can be pretty confident you are in nutritonal ketosis without buying meter and the test strips. But as others have said, if you stall for a long period of time it could be useful to get the meter at that point.

JKat 07-06-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

well, hmmm

good luck!

If u don't mind me asking. How did u figure out it was vitamin d and how r u supplementing yourself ????

clackley 07-07-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKat (Post 16502752)
If u don't mind me asking. How did u figure out it was vitamin d and how r u supplementing yourself ????

Jodie, you might want to send RR a private message. She often doesn't come back to threads and may not have seen this question.

JKat 07-07-2013 10:29 AM

Thanks Cathy!

sarahnya 07-07-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpErMei (Post 16497399)

TIA!

You don't HAVE to use them but they are useful at first to gauge what you can and cannot eat as you can see how a certain food effects your ketone levels, once you've sorted that you don't really have to keep checking it.