Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
High Fat NK 80/15/5 - July Version

Thought I would start us off with the new thread for July!!

I tested again this morning for ketones (blood) after not even showing up yesterday on the meter at LO... today it was 1.5 ... so either yesterday was a mistake reading or it does not take 2 weeks to get back in ketosis...

Anyone have any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Hi!!! Thank you for the new thread

164.4 pounds for me this morning. Could have been worse

I was a good girl yesterday. I had 1225 calories, 76% fat, 26% protein.

About your meter readings... I've read that the Nova isn't as accurate as the other one. I guess it's better to focus on trends over time, or even how you react if you decide to make changes in your macros. I'm waiting for my supply of strips in the mail, so I haven't tested. I'm pretty positive I'm out of ketosis, since I ate way more protein than the days before when I was logging my intake.

I'm hoping for a whoosh tomorrow. I must be holding on to water weight now.

My ancestors didn’t claw their way to the top of the food chain so I could eat Twinkies - Mark Sisson
Old 07-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by translationmx View Post
Hi!!! Thank you for the new thread

164.4 pounds for me this morning. Could have been worse

I was a good girl yesterday. I had 1225 calories, 76% fat, 26% protein.

About your meter readings... I've read that the Nova isn't as accurate as the other one. I guess it's better to focus on trends over time, or even how you react if you decide to make changes in your macros. I'm waiting for my supply of strips in the mail, so I haven't tested. I'm pretty positive I'm out of ketosis, since I ate way more protein than the days before when I was logging my intake.

I'm hoping for a whoosh tomorrow. I must be holding on to water weight now.
Maybe thats why it showed LO the day before. It could have been out of ketosis, but was still showing on the urine ones... but I had a glass of wine and some lettuce... really that was about it... so maybe I was not really out..

What is the most accurate meter then?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Maybe thats why it showed LO the day before. It could have been out of ketosis, but was still showing on the urine ones... but I had a glass of wine and some lettuce... really that was about it... so maybe I was not really out..

What is the most accurate meter then?
I kind of recall reading in an older thread (those with 80-something pages!! ) that the Abbott Precision model is more accurate. That's what Jimmy Moore uses I think. But like I said, as long as you're losing - even slowly - it's the trend that matters.

I had two mojitos the night before last, so I thought the damage was going to be WAY worse
Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I kind of recall reading in an older thread (those with 80-something pages!! ) that the Abbott Precision model is more accurate. That's what Jimmy Moore uses I think. But like I said, as long as you're losing - even slowly - it's the trend that matters.

I had two mojitos the night before last, so I thought the damage was going to be WAY worse
And your mojitos knocked you out for sure?

What type of meter do you use?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
And your mojitos knocked you out for sure?

What type of meter do you use?
I have the Nova too, and I usually get about the same readings... as long as I don't radically change something, say for example those days when I've eaten like 10 grams more of protein and/or carbs.

I don't have any means for testing right now. I ran out of ketostiks, and I'm waiting for my blood test strips. I guess I need a week or so to get back into the groove.

I soooooo want to leave the 160s for good
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have the Nova too, and I usually get about the same readings... as long as I don't radically change something, say for example those days when I've eaten like 10 grams more of protein and/or carbs.

I don't have any means for testing right now. I ran out of ketostiks, and I'm waiting for my blood test strips. I guess I need a week or so to get back into the groove.

Ha, I want to leave the 70s.. and the 60s... heck the 50s probably too!! LOL But I was quite happy 2 years ago around 150 so If I could get back there, I would probably be golden. I am in my 40s, not looking to look like I did in my 20s ... just want to be healthy, and comfortable...
Old 07-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
I'm gaining - this is what I had today. I'm 5'6" - muscular build/ exercise by cardio and weight training daily.

Breakfast @11am : coffee with cream, pancake (two eggs, tbsp if cream cheese, tbsp of nut butter, tbsp coconut flour, butter, and tbsp of pure pumpkin) with 2 pieces of bacon.

Snack: 4 tbsp of hemp seed, 2 tbsp of chia seeds, 4 tbsp of heavy cream, 1oz of macadamia nuts mixed and microwaved together.

Dinner: steak with a cpl of cups of green beans in butter with a tbsp of avocado
Dk chocolate topped with tbsp of cream cheese mixed with a tbsp of nut butter

I love weight lifting (fountain of youth) and enjoy a low carb lifestyle.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Woo hoo! New thread! May it be kind to all of us

Catj, the two times I have been knocked out (by chips ) I was back by the next evening.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Quote:

You will!!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Good morning all! Cathy, thanks for starting the July thread! So I have THREE challenges this week, two of which I won't have much control at all!!! One dinner with friends, one grand daughter birthday dinner, and one dinner out with friends! This morning I was 126 3/4 and I sure don't want to blow this! What do you all suggest????
Old 07-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
Good morning all! Cathy, thanks for starting the July thread! So I have THREE challenges this week, two of which I won't have much control at all!!! One dinner with friends, one grand daughter birthday dinner, and one dinner out with friends! This morning I was 126 3/4 and I sure don't want to blow this! What do you all suggest????
Kathy, I think I would just try to stay as low carb as you can (even if its a bit more Atkins' type)

I find I can eat that way out of the house, but not really HF/LC, as most places dont serve cream cheese mixed with HWC...ahaha

Try to step away from the cake?

Hot Potato... Thanks for letting me know. I am hoping that I stay in this time, I was 1.8 this morning.

TOM is roaring through and weight has been up for a few days. I am hoping it will bounce down when it leaves... very depressing not seeing the scale moving down! I have 5 weeks to England... I want this weight to drop faster!! LOL
Old 07-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

So tell me ladies, what is the difference between our NK/HFLC and EFGT???
Old 07-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Anyone??? I am curious what you think of my eats for the day above.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
I'm gaining - this is what I had today. I'm 5'6" - muscular build/ exercise by cardio and weight training daily.

Breakfast @11am : coffee with cream, pancake (two eggs, tbsp if cream cheese, tbsp of nut butter, tbsp coconut flour, butter, and tbsp of pure pumpkin) with 2 pieces of bacon.

Snack: 4 tbsp of hemp seed, 2 tbsp of chia seeds, 4 tbsp of heavy cream, 1oz of macadamia nuts mixed and microwaved together.

Dinner: steak with a cpl of cups of green beans in butter with a tbsp of avocado
Sounds like a lot of protein maybe? Also, maybe the nuts are making you gain/stall? hemp seed, chia seeds. I would try to cut back on the protein and up the fat. What are your ratios of fat/protein? in %%??
Old 07-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post

I have to use a food tracker to figure out what I am consuming....no if ands or buts about it!

I too gained when first getting my n.k. foods sorted out. I have arrived at 15g carb, 107g fat and 45g protein. This translates into 4/18/78 in terms of ratios. Yours will be quite a bit different as I am menopausal and my muscle ratio is quite a bit lower than you ( to say the least )
Old 07-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: badgerbabe287
Stats: 155/135/130 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2008/restarted June 2010
subbing
Old 07-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Catj, I had to google efgt lol

The difference I can see is -

Basic Philosophy: This is a high fat, low carb plan, which allows 60g carbohydrates per day. Calories are unrestricted. Ketosis is considered unnecessary; Dr Groves (founder) even feels it is undesirable.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Oooops! it's 163.6 today. Now that's a typo I really dislike
Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Hi all. I've been lurking awhile now and I'd like to come out and play.

I received my freebie Novamax a few days back and tested 1.4 and 1.5 on the two mornings I used it. Of course, that's all the strips I had.

Numbers are fun (aside from tracking food) and I plan on getting more strips and hitting this hard.

The eating part has gotten easy and nothing I have to think about too hard. The weight loss is slow, but that's okay. I just don't want to count calories and be hungry as I lost 60 lbs 2 years ago on a restrictive diet (carbs were under 100 g) and lots of exercise, and I just can't do it again. I gained back 40.

Hope to chat more.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Annette and Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post
Catj, I had to google efgt lol

The difference I can see is -

Basic Philosophy: This is a high fat, low carb plan, which allows 60g carbohydrates per day. Calories are unrestricted. Ketosis is considered unnecessary; Dr Groves (founder) even feels it is undesirable.
So yeah, I really dont see much difference still, except the ketosis maybe... I was reading some on their threads and just thought it sounded pretty much the same...

Quote:
Oooops! it's 163.6 today. Now that's a typo I really dislike
Well, its good it was down.

Mine is up/down for the last 3 days too. Its TOM, day 3 though, so I am really hoping for improvement tomorrow!! My trip is in 5 weeks and still hoping to lose 15 minimum 10 more before then... (of course 25 would be desirable..haha! not gonna happen)....

I am also keeping my calories around that, usally 1300-1600... and i exercise every day.. at least walking if not more... so I think that should be sufficient... dont you??

IamKathy....where are you girl?? Did you ditch us???
Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Annette and Badger! This WOE is easy. It's quite empowering to feel the hunger prangs and the cravings gone.

Quote:

Mine is up/down for the last 3 days too. Its TOM, day 3 though, so I am really hoping for improvement tomorrow!! My trip is in 5 weeks and still hoping to lose 15 minimum 10 more before then... (of course 25 would be desirable..haha! not gonna happen)....

I am also keeping my calories around that, usally 1300-1600... and i exercise every day.. at least walking if not more... so I think that should be sufficient... dont you??

I'm currently doing the 600-700 calorie workouts daily, so I guess eating more would be a good idea. I don't want to lose the muscles I have

You'll see, it will happen. Damn hormones!! I know if I could have tracking my food and eating right I would have seen a bigger loss after TOM. Now I have to lose this water weight and keep going. Other little something that I like about NK is that I'm starting to see every figure along time, like I said, as trends, rather than an absolute something. I don't know if it makes sense to you guys, but that's what I've been feeling lately. I'm less obsessed and more proactive about my choices with food and exercise.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Welcome Annette and Badger! This WOE is easy. It's quite empowering to feel the hunger prangs and the cravings gone.

I'm currently doing the 600-700 calorie workouts daily, so I guess eating more would be a good idea. I don't want to lose the muscles I have

You'll see, it will happen. Damn hormones!! I know if I could have tracking my food and eating right I would have seen a bigger loss after TOM. Now I have to lose this water weight and keep going. Other little something that I like about NK is that I'm starting to see every figure along time, like I said, as trends, rather than an absolute something. I don't know if it makes sense to you guys, but that's what I've been feeling lately. I'm less obsessed and more proactive about my choices with food and exercise.
I completely agree with this last part.... I used to try to burn at least 1000 calories a day, or more with excessive running/high end cardio work, etc.. and then eat as little as possible. And all day long I would think about food... and losing weight and driving myself crazy with cravings.

Since starting NK... I would say I have most certainly gotten my cravings under control, and even during TOM (which is normally a binger week (or weekend) under control too. I have "contemplated" a few times, but have not given in this week, and I now only do high end cardio about 3 times a week with a nightly walk of 45 minutes to an hour to keep my insane exercising under control. My blood sugars are now ranging around 79-89... whereas before they were 110-120 in the morning fasting, so thats another great benefit to NK. While the losses are slow, I am making some progress (except this week during TOM ) stil hopeful that next week will show a loss after this is gone. What is the 600-700 calorie workouts? Is that a set plan or you just try to burn that many calories during a session??
Old 07-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
You are pretty slim. Are you really short, or do you really need to lose more weight? Maybe you just need a few body firming exercises. I am only 5 feet 4 inches tall, and I haven't been that slim since I was in my 20's. I really do not expect to get that slim ever again.
Carolyn
Old 07-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I completely agree with this last part.... I used to try to burn at least 1000 calories a day, or more with excessive running/high end cardio work, etc.. and then eat as little as possible. And all day long I would think about food... and losing weight and driving myself crazy with cravings.

Since starting NK... I would say I have most certainly gotten my cravings under control, and even during TOM (which is normally a binger week (or weekend) under control too. I have "contemplated" a few times, but have not given in this week, and I now only do high end cardio about 3 times a week with a nightly walk of 45 minutes to an hour to keep my insane exercising under control. My blood sugars are now ranging around 79-89... whereas before they were 110-120 in the morning fasting, so thats another great benefit to NK. While the losses are slow, I am making some progress (except this week during TOM ) stil hopeful that next week will show a loss after this is gone. What is the 600-700 calorie workouts? Is that a set plan or you just try to burn that many calories during a session??
It's good to know my ramblings make some kind of sense
Old 07-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=catjrow3;16496609]Kathy, I think I would just try to stay as low carb as you can (even if its a bit more Atkins' type)

I find I can eat that way out of the house, but not really HF/LC, as most places dont serve cream cheese mixed with HWC...ahaha

Kathy, I guess that is all I can do, but I know the scale will go up!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
You are pretty slim. Are you really short, or do you really need to lose more weight? Maybe you just need a few body firming exercises. I am only 5 feet 4 inches tall, and I haven't been that slim since I was in my 20's. I really do not expect to get that slim ever again.
Carolyn

I am 5 ' 3" Carolyn and have not been in the 120's in a LONG time and I like it. Don't want to go any lower because I am not a spring chicken and don't want to look drawn either. If I make 126 I am done!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

[quote=iamkathy01;16499181]
Quote:
Kathy, I think I would just try to stay as low carb as you can (even if its a bit more Atkins' type)

Kathy, I guess that is all I can do, but I know the scale will go up!
Cathy, I guess I want you to spell your name like mine!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So tell me ladies, what is the difference between our NK/HFLC and EFGT???

I don't know what EFGT is at all
Old 07-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Welcome Annette and Badger

So yeah, I really dont see much difference still, except the ketosis maybe... I was reading some on their threads and just thought it sounded pretty much the same...

Noooooo I sure didn't ditch you guys! I just saw this! Haven't seen some of these for some reason Thanks for checkin' on me!
Closed Thread