Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Carolyn,
Thank you for the book recommendations, I have scanned Genocide, but not read Trick or Treat. (I think statins are the devil though, so I will NOT be taking one, against my docs recommendation). I will look into reading both books.

I'm 38, 3 years post surgery/chemo/radiation and haven't felt this good in 4 years. I don't want to be concerned about these #'s, which is hard in the medication driven society where there's a pill for everything. I just want to understand them, and feel confident that I can trust my body and the way I feel now.

P L A N, for Success!

Nothing is impossible, the word tells you itself:

I'm possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #242
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My pleasure! And congrats on the weight loss!!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Sipping on a mug of bone broth for breakfast... tasty stuff I think!!

I am off the rails again. My ability to stay on task is just waivering these days! I am good for 7 or 8 days, then blow it for one or one and a half days, for no good reason!! UGH!! Trying to talk myself back into restarting with a fat fast or something, but at least so far I have only had this, although my brain wants biscuits!! UGH!!

Someone shoot me! LOL
Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/176/135 (5'5", 51 yrs)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: Nov 4, 2014 @ high weight
April, you are right in that time frame when they say cholesterol numbers increase. So when the doctor send the results, just state matter of factly that you'd like to retest in 3 months.

Also another book out on the subject is by Jonny Bowden "The Great Cholesterol Myth." I think I might get it for my kindle.

Congrats on the 3 months of low carbing.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
Carolyn,
Thank you for the book recommendations, I have scanned Genocide, but not read Trick or Treat. (I think statins are the devil though, so I will NOT be taking one, against my docs recommendation). I will look into reading both books.

I'm 38, 3 years post surgery/chemo/radiation and haven't felt this good in 4 years. I don't want to be concerned about these #'s, which is hard in the medication driven society where there's a pill for everything. I just want to understand them, and feel confident that I can trust my body and the way I feel now.
I am glad that you are feeling so much better. Since you have had cancer, there is all the more reason to stay with this diet. Staying away from starch and sugar is good for your health. As you probably already know, cancer feeds on sugar.
Carolyn
Old 07-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Quote:
Cici- Congratulations on quitting smoking!

Annette- Way to go on dropping below 150. I've been curious about MCT, but you've peaked my interest with your great results. I do 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in my coffee each AM and wondered if there was an advantage to adding another tablespoon throughout the day. Does anyone know?

By the way, I had blood work done yesterday after being strict NK for a little over three months. Looking forward to posting the results as soon as I get my hands on them!
APRIL!!!! I love the sig!!!! Kathy
Old 07-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Sipping on a mug of bone broth for breakfast... tasty stuff I think!!

I am off the rails again. My ability to stay on task is just waivering these days! I am good for 7 or 8 days, then blow it for one or one and a half days, for no good reason!! UGH!! Trying to talk myself back into restarting with a fat fast or something, but at least so far I have only had this, although my brain wants biscuits!! UGH!!

Someone shoot me! LOL
Consider yerself shot! ;-)) Now climb back on the wagon!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I am glad that Kathy shot you, so I didn't have to.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
LOL! Dirty job, but somebody hadda do it Bella! Kathy
Old 07-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
Consider yerself shot! ;-)) Now climb back on the wagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I am my own worst enemy. Once I get in the funk its hard to shake too! I am going to go eat at Olive Garden tonight with hubby who has been out of town for 3 days and will probably eat pasta... since I am all befuddled anyway, and get on the wagon tomorrow. Will not test ketones in any form for about 4 days at least and hope that I have it together by then!

Thanks for shooting me though ladies, I NEED IT!!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am my own worst enemy. Once I get in the funk its hard to shake too! I am going to go eat at Olive Garden tonight with hubby who has been out of town for 3 days and will probably eat pasta... since I am all befuddled anyway, and get on the wagon tomorrow. Will not test ketones in any form for about 4 days at least and hope that I have it together by then!

Thanks for shooting me though ladies, I NEED IT!!
I did eat a little pasta, but mostly I ate chicken bryan, which is chicken, goat cheese in a butter lemon sauce! Yumm
Old 07-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I did eat a little pasta, but mostly I ate chicken bryan, which is chicken, goat cheese in a butter lemon sauce! Yumm
Pasta?! Today you get the lashings.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Just plugging along. Got a 0.2 blood ketones (and that was on a Novamax, thought it didn't record that low.) Had a too large quantity of protein last night which I'm sure is what did that.

Weight is being too stable again, that 149 was only a teaser, of course. Even though it's too stable, it's still moving very very slowly. By averaging out my daily weights each week, I can still see the subtle downwards loss. I'll take measurements again tomorrow.

Just wondering what everyone's plans are for the weekend for staying onplan and in ketosis.

Mine is to spend today and track a little better. Since I had too much protein yesterday, balance it out today by having a bit too little. I might just try skipping breakfast and drinking my fat calories. I'm not getting exercise right now so I don't need to overdo the fat calories either, as I don't need the extra energy. I've probably got to try to eat around 1200-1300 calories only to see some movement, and that number is just so low.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #254
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Pasta?! Today you get the lashings.
I am ready, leaning over the fence, for my lashing!! LOL

Today I will start back on the road to getting into ketosis and stay on the fence (not bent over it waiting for my lashings like a bad girl)

I think fat fast, so low calories too!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just plugging along. Got a 0.2 blood ketones (and that was on a Novamax, thought it didn't record that low.) Had a too large quantity of protein last night which I'm sure is what did that.

Weight is being too stable again, that 149 was only a teaser, of course. Even though it's too stable, it's still moving very very slowly. By averaging out my daily weights each week, I can still see the subtle downwards loss. I'll take measurements again tomorrow.

Just wondering what everyone's plans are for the weekend for staying onplan and in ketosis.

Mine is to spend today and track a little better. Since I had too much protein yesterday, balance it out today by having a bit too little. I might just try skipping breakfast and drinking my fat calories. I'm not getting exercise right now so I don't need to overdo the fat calories either, as I don't need the extra energy. I've probably got to try to eat around 1200-1300 calories only to see some movement, and that number is just so low.
That number is low when you are eating low fat, high carb, but it really is not too hard to eat at that level when we are eating low carb high fat.
Carolyn
Old 07-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Annette, I hear you about the problem of 1200-1300 feeling very low. For some reason, when I was just starting to lose, I could go several days eating a couple hundred calories a day less than I am happy with now. And I was eating carbohydrates, more than twice as much as I am now, but still towards the carb-conscious end of the scale. For me, I think part of the problem is that the rewards are coming slower, I have to keep going on faith, without that little 1-lb jolt of joy in the morning when I get on the scale. In fact, I think that's the biggest hurdle facing me in terms of future maintenance. I've gotten hooked on that little reward showing up every 2 or 3 days. It inspired me and charged me up. Now I have to find a different way to think about these things. I have a tendency to get all OCD/control freak, too, which is really not where I want my head to be all day every day.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

So out running errands, hubby talked me into self sabatoge and we had BJs for lunch! UGH!! I ate more carbs... Okay, tomorrow... for sure!! Lordy! Why do I do this to myself?
Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So out running errands, hubby talked me into self sabatoge and we had BJs for lunch! UGH!! I ate more carbs... Okay, tomorrow... for sure!! Lordy! Why do I do this to myself?
You have to ask yourself if this is what you want. If you want to lose weight or do you want to eat this way? If you really do not want to eat the NK way, then change your plan to something that works for you. Just don't cut too much fat out of your diet.
Carolyn
Old 07-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Quote:
April, you are right in that time frame when they say cholesterol numbers increase. So when the doctor send the results, just state matter of factly that you'd like to retest in 3 months.

Also another book out on the subject is by Jonny Bowden "The Great Cholesterol Myth." I think I might get it for my kindle.

Congrats on the 3 months of low carbing.
You just gave me the perfect response to the doc, 3 months is the right amount of time to retest, thank you. I'll check that book out as well, I've heard it mentioned, but never had a reason to check it out, until now.

And Carolyn, you are exactly right about this being the best WOE/ Way of life for me now to stay cancer free, feeling happy and energetic.

This isn't the best plan door everyone, but it certainly is the right one for me!

Hope you're all enjoying the weekend!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You just gave me the perfect response to the doc, 3 months is the right amount of time to retest, thank you. I'll check that book out as well, I've heard it mentioned, but never had a reason to check it out, until now.

And Carolyn, you are exactly right about this being the best WOE/ Way of life for me now to stay cancer free, feeling happy and energetic.

This isn't the best plan door everyone, but it certainly is the right one for me!

Hope you're all enjoying the weekend!
If you can find and print out (or highlight it in a book) the info about the 3 months and the numbers going up, that might be helpful for your doctor if he/she doesn't know about that.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Week 11 of Atkins (and now NK) is completed and I put my chart up in my journal. The losses are super slow at this time, but they are still loses and I'm pleased.

I'm going out for brunch with my sewing group gals today, and the restaurant has lousy choices for me. So I'll just be strong and order bacon and eggs and some lovely french pressed coffee. I'm drinking my decaf and cream right now and that will tide me over nicely.

I'm not afraid to get hungry any more, because though I do get hungry, it's not that crazy feeling like you'll eat anything and everything.

Tonight is burgers, so I'll add a salad and maybe some nuts and probably call it a day.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Week 11 of Atkins (and now NK) is completed and I put my chart up in my journal. The losses are super slow at this time, but they are still loses and I'm pleased.

I'm going out for brunch with my sewing group gals today, and the restaurant has lousy choices for me. So I'll just be strong and order bacon and eggs and some lovely french pressed coffee. I'm drinking my decaf and cream right now and that will tide me over nicely.

I'm not afraid to get hungry any more, because though I do get hungry, it's not that crazy feeling like you'll eat anything and everything.

Tonight is burgers, so I'll add a salad and maybe some nuts and probably call it a day.
I agree about the hunger thing. When I get hungry now, it does not bother me. When I was eating high carb and I got hungry, I could tear someone's head off.
Carolyn
Old 07-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I agree about hunger . . . also I am satisfied with smaller portions.
I mean I actually consider half way through my plate or bowl if I want to finish what I am eating or save it until later!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Carolyn,

You are very welcome.
Carolyn
Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Today is Day 1 all over again!

Ready to get back on the horse and carb detox again! I am seriously not able to eat any of them (carbs) or I fall into a horrible binge session/cant get out of again thing.

I am happy to know if I dont eat them, I dont feel that way anymore!! UGH! My head hurts! Onward again!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Ready to get back on the horse and carb detox again! I am seriously not able to eat any of them (carbs) or I fall into a horrible binge session/cant get out of again thing.

I am happy to know if I dont eat them, I dont feel that way anymore!! UGH! My head hurts! Onward again!

Yay! Good for you getting back into your groove.
Carolyn
Old 07-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
Yay! Good for you getting back into your groove.
Carolyn
Lets hope its painless!!
Old 07-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Wishing you all the best. You know you can do it and we're here to help support you.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wishing you all the best. You know you can do it and we're here to help support you.

Thanks Annette, so far so good today! Nothing but fat! I did my weights this morning, and keeping busy... making some iced coffee with some HWC since its sooo hot outside! and I am about to have some bone broth before Turbo kickboxing class!

Overall, a good day so far... lots of water weight to flush again from the carbs/glycogen refill.. UGH! LOL
Old 07-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks Annette, so far so good today! Nothing but fat! I did my weights this morning, and keeping busy... making some iced coffee with some HWC since its sooo hot outside! and I am about to have some bone broth before Turbo kickboxing class!

Overall, a good day so far... lots of water weight to flush again from the carbs/glycogen refill.. UGH! LOL
Just wondering how Day 1 went, did you make it? I sure hope so.

My weight is holding steady right now, nice ketones most mornings (an odd one here and there, no rhyme or reason.) It would be nice to see a noticeable loss, I probably need to restrict for a good three days, and I really hate restricting.
Closed Thread