Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Cici- Congratulations on quitting smoking!

Annette- Way to go on dropping below 150. I've been curious about MCT, but you've peaked my interest with your great results. I do 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in my coffee each AM and wondered if there was an advantage to adding another tablespoon throughout the day. Does anyone know?

By the way, I had blood work done yesterday after being strict NK for a little over three months. Looking forward to posting the results as soon as I get my hands on them!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Yes, I include MCT in my fat grams. It has a fat count on the label: 14 grams per tablespoon. I always measure MCT, CO, butter, HWC so I know the amount I am eating daily. I don't always plug into a tracker (well actually I rarely do it), but that is goal - haha. I have heard some sentiment that the medium chain triglicerides have some special metabolic effect, but I don't always get the science, so I just count as regualar fat grams. My biggest concern with fats is not just to pour into my coffee without being aware of the amount. I think in my early days since restarting I overdid the fat bombs a bit. But I am losing inches and weight, slowly but surely. So I am trying not to overdo the fat, but I am not skimping on it either.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Welcome Martha, and welcome back Cici. Specific boards to tend to change as people try new things, or become content with what they are doing (so they stop talking about it.) I'm talking a lot cause I'm new, probably boring everyone to death.

I FINALLY dropped under 150 this morning and that is a big applause for me. Down 15 pounds and going on my 11th week.

I commented on MCT on another thread just yesterday I believe, and I think I might have to take back my comments. I have found a trend and I believe it's the MCT oil I've been taking (or not taking) that is raising my ketones. I'm going to increase it a little more. I can just chug it in a small glass of water to get it down.

Measured 1.6 in blood ketones this morning, I think I'm finally starting to cruise. Will keep you posted on the MCT oil and I'm going to do a bit of research on it too.
Annette, so you add a liquid oil to your water?? Hmm, sounds dubious! LOL HOw long have you been doing this, and what has the result been of your ketones? I see 1.6 this morning, but how long before you started to see a raise and did you stop it and it dropped, and did you weight loss do better with the raised ketones/adding oil, or stay the same?? INquiring minds.... LOL

Welcome back Cici and great job on the stopping smoking! I quit 6 years ago and put on 50 lbs when I quit... but the health benefits were great for my lungs and I lost most of the weight eventually!!

Welcome Martha to our little group!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post

Annette- Way to go on dropping below 150. I've been curious about MCT, but you've peaked my interest with your great results. I do 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in my coffee each AM and wondered if there was an advantage to adding another tablespoon throughout the day. Does anyone know?

By the way, I had blood work done yesterday after being strict NK for a little over three months. Looking forward to posting the results as soon as I get my hands on them!
Oh Boy! Let us know when you get the results! Kathy
Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Yes, I include MCT in my fat grams. It has a fat count on the label: 14 grams per tablespoon. I always measure MCT, CO, butter, HWC so I know the amount I am eating daily. I don't always plug into a tracker (well actually I rarely do it), but that is goal - haha. I have heard some sentiment that the medium chain triglicerides have some special metabolic effect, but I don't always get the science, so I just count as regualar fat grams. My biggest concern with fats is not just to pour into my coffee without being aware of the amount. I think in my early days since restarting I overdid the fat bombs a bit. But I am losing inches and weight, slowly but surely. So I am trying not to overdo the fat, but I am not skimping on it either.
Thanks Bella- I think I need to add more like this!
Kathy
Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #216
Major LCF Poster!

I was just on netrition looking up MCT oil.. and they have soft gel caps.. .would that work as well as the oil? I hate the thought of putting oil in any form of drink, water, coffee, iced coffee, but can take a pill!! What do you all think?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
I was just on netrition looking up MCT oil.. and they have soft gel caps.. .would that work as well as the oil? I hate the thought of putting oil in any form of drink, water, coffee, iced coffee, but can take a pill!! What do you all think?
Cath, I am not wild about it oil in coffee, but I can put it in my shake and not know its there? Could you do that???? Cold is okay for me! Kathy
Old 07-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
Cath, I am not wild about it oil in coffee, but I can put it in my shake and not know its there? Could you do that???? Cold is okay for me! Kathy
I would really prefer a capsule if it does the same thing... LOL Gross! I dont drink shakes that often anyway... so I would have to have one just to take it.

I just started up a crock pot full of chicken bones and stuff to make some bone broth! I was reading on other forums about it, so I went and bought 2 rotisserie chickens and shredded them, and put in some celery, carrots, onion and garlic and ACV and started it up. Said to cook it for 24 hours... sounds soooo good! LOL I hear its great for hunger and such too! Picked at the chicken while shredding so thats my lunch now!! Probably more protein than I have had in a while all at once, like 27 grams... LOL I usually dont eat a lot of protein... I think mine stays low around 30-40 most of the time...
Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #219
Senior LCF Member

Okay, so here is an interesting questions for ya'll! I have a colonoscopy coming up in September (sheer joy, right) and I have NO CLUE what I will drink for it. In the past, I drank Gatorade, Caffeine free sodas and things like that. I am afraid I will get ill from the sugar, but am not sure I can survive on NO CALORIES for the entire day before! Has anyone here had one while in NK and how???? Thanks Friends! Kathy
Old 07-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Annette, so you add a liquid oil to your water?? Hmm, sounds dubious! LOL HOw long have you been doing this, and what has the result been of your ketones? I see 1.6 this morning, but how long before you started to see a raise and did you stop it and it dropped, and did you weight loss do better with the raised ketones/adding oil, or stay the same?? INquiring minds.... LOL

Welcome back Cici and great job on the stopping smoking! I quit 6 years ago and put on 50 lbs when I quit... but the health benefits were great for my lungs and I lost most of the weight eventually!!

Welcome Martha to our little group!
I think you have to take too many capsule to equal 1 T. It has absolutely no taste. In the past when I took cod liver oil (gag) I would put about 1/3 cup juice in a cup and the oil and chug it down. Since the MCT has no taste I just put it in with plain water. It goes down just fine.

I've been using it about 1 week, though I missed a day and the next day was when I showed "lo" on the meter again. Maybe it's the clincher, still too early to say.

I'm not always consistent about my CO either, so I'm going to really work on adding them in. I'm raising the MCT to 2 T a day, and will have CO daily too. I had 1 T this morning, so maybe 2T tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. I don't want to shock my system.

I have had a headache for the past 4-5 days and now I think it might be a low carb flu symptom, going into deeper ketosis. I don't know yet either, we'll see. I've had to take ibuprofen lately. I don't want to keep doing that either so hopefully the headache goes away.

Weight has definitely started to move again, but it might be up tomorrow. We all know how that goes.

As far as cost, I paid about $18 for my bottle by NOW at Natural Grocers (kind of like Whole Foods).

I'll keep tracking blood ketones and experimenting at least a full month as I bought 30 strips.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I was reading that MCT oil works for 3 hours or so but that CO lasts about 6 hours. I think that is referring to the energy it gives us. I don't remember where I read that or how correct it is or anything, but I think I'll try using it (CO and MCT) multiple times a day to keep it in my system.

Maybe once the weight is gone just using CO would be enough.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
Broth! By the quart!
Quote:
Okay, so here is an interesting questions for ya'll! I have a colonoscopy coming up in September (sheer joy, right) and I have NO CLUE what I will drink for it. In the past, I drank Gatorade, Caffeine free sodas and things like that. I am afraid I will get ill from the sugar, but am not sure I can survive on NO CALORIES for the entire day before! Has anyone here had one while in NK and how???? Thanks Friends! Kathy
Old 07-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I would really prefer a capsule if it does the same thing... LOL Gross! I dont drink shakes that often anyway... so I would have to have one just to take it.

I just started up a crock pot full of chicken bones and stuff to make some bone broth! I was reading on other forums about it, so I went and bought 2 rotisserie chickens and shredded them, and put in some celery, carrots, onion and garlic and ACV and started it up. Said to cook it for 24 hours... sounds soooo good! LOL I hear its great for hunger and such too! Picked at the chicken while shredding so thats my lunch now!! Probably more protein than I have had in a while all at once, like 27 grams... LOL I usually dont eat a lot of protein... I think mine stays low around 30-40 most of the time...
I do a grass fed beef bone broth like that and I LOVE it! I bet that will be wonderful! I have not done chicken! Kathy
Old 07-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I was reading that MCT oil works for 3 hours or so but that CO lasts about 6 hours. I think that is referring to the energy it gives us. I don't remember where I read that or how correct it is or anything, but I think I'll try using it (CO and MCT) multiple times a day to keep it in my system.

Maybe once the weight is gone just using CO would be enough.
If I did that, I likely wouldn't have any calories left to EAT! Kathy
Old 07-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
catjrow3, bone broth is a great gift to oneself. I usually make lamb because a have a great source but have chicken wings bones going at ther moment.

Thanksf or the warm welcome. I read more thanks post because it is difficult froma myf android
Old 07-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Kathy, no clue!! Never had one! LOL

Quote:
I think you have to take too many capsule to equal 1 T. It has absolutely no taste. In the past when I took cod liver oil (gag) I would put about 1/3 cup juice in a cup and the oil and chug it down. Since the MCT has no taste I just put it in with plain water. It goes down just fine.

I've been using it about 1 week, though I missed a day and the next day was when I showed "lo" on the meter again. Maybe it's the clincher, still too early to say.

I'm not always consistent about my CO either, so I'm going to really work on adding them in. I'm raising the MCT to 2 T a day, and will have CO daily too. I had 1 T this morning, so maybe 2T tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. I don't want to shock my system.

I have had a headache for the past 4-5 days and now I think it might be a low carb flu symptom, going into deeper ketosis. I don't know yet either, we'll see. I've had to take ibuprofen lately. I don't want to keep doing that either so hopefully the headache goes away.

Weight has definitely started to move again, but it might be up tomorrow. We all know how that goes.

As far as cost, I paid about $18 for my bottle by NOW at Natural Grocers (kind of like Whole Foods).

I'll keep tracking blood ketones and experimenting at least a full month as I bought 30 strips.
Annette, Okay, no taste you say... I ordered some from Netrition just now.. so will try it in a few days when I get it. I needed to get some zsweet as well anyway!

Quote:
I do a grass fed beef bone broth like that and I LOVE it! I bet that will be wonderful! I have not done chicken! Kathy
I have never done either, but having it cooking now .... smells great!!
Quote:
If I did that, I likely wouldn't have any calories left to EAT! Kathy
Me either!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
catjrow3, bone broth is a great gift to oneself. I usually make lamb because a have a great source but have chicken wings bones going at ther moment.

Thanksf or the warm welcome. I read more thanks post because it is difficult froma myf android
I hope its good! I told my son too, I would make him homemade chicken noodle soup tomorrow with the broth. That should be good!! Lamb sounds yummy too!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #227
Senior LCF Member

Colonoscopy Prep with no Sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1959 View Post
Broth! By the quart!
Do you suppose there are calories in homemade broth????? I have some organic chicken broth in my pantry and it says 5 calories per cup, which would be what, 20 in a quart? Don't ya think you'd be ready to eat your toenails by the end of the day???? Kathy
Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Yes to BB cals. 40-80/cup. If you simmer 24-36 hours to get the gelatin and minerals. The spread depends on fat content.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

I noticed all the good reference material is no longer at the beginning of the thread. The older threads are locked so I can't subscribe. I just have my phone but wonder if someone could copy and paste the guidelines Red used to start the thread with into a sticky
Old 07-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Yes to BB cals. 40-80/cup. If you simmer 24-36 hours to get the gelatin and minerals. The spread depends on fat content.

Oh wow, thanks Cici!! Then I might survive! :-))
Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #231
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Baconista
Stats: 425/397/299 for now....
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: Many times... This time 6/30/13
Hi,
I'm Shauna, and I'm new to the board, but not new to low carb. I have been on it several times, always lost a bit then slowwwwly fell off the wagon. This time I am back with a vengeance, and I'm ready to rock this NK goodness. I am "insulin resistant" and take no meds for it. This WOE keeps my sugar in check at 100-120 fasting.
I am an experimenter and have been tracking my ketosis with the ketostix every day since beginning the HF/LC style. Amazingly I was always in purple, something I could not achieve on Atkins, then without changing anything, I watched it suddenly fade.. fade.. fade... til I was negative. I was very confused and bewildered. BUT>>>> the next day, TOM showed up! I didnt give in, I stuck to my guns... kept eating the greasy goodness... and low and behold, the day TOM left, purple came back!!! WOW!~

I've dropped about 20 pounds this month and I am flabbergasted. Fat is my friend~
Im still figuring the website out, and love reading all the posts here. Hello to all, and I am so looking forward to being a new member here!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Welcome Shauna! I'm new, too.

I teach, and have a couple of summer months off, so I'm working on recipes and routines to get me the maximum fresh vegetables, the right amount of protein, as much variety as I can handle in the carbs department, and continued weight loss. It has slowed down a lot, but after a long stall, I dropped two pounds these last couple of days. Today was a great day, with lots of salad greens and homemade vegetable dishes, a nice little trout, roast chicken, a handful of blackberries, good Spanish olive oil, and just a lot of flavor. 24 net carbs (I'm eating nuts at this point, and a tiny bit of uncooked oats with my breakfast.) It all feels really good, and having real, rich cream as a treat is -- well, it's a treat, is what it is. Hot as it can be here in Brooklyn, but I went to the air conditioned gym and had a not-too-tough treadmill workout to top things off.

Did I do anything besides cook, clean up the kitchen, and go to the gym today? Precious little! Need to think ahead to days when I can't just baby myself all day.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Martha and Shauna!

Kathy
Old 07-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member

A big welcome to Shauna and Martha

Ketones were the highest yesterday and I had no MCT oil or CO. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble. And my blood sugar was the lowest I've ever seen. Actually I took it twice since I'm using what I consider my less reliable meter and got a 69, then a 75. I can go for the 75.

So the low blood sugar high ketone thing (I had 2.0) were spot on this morning.

But my weight was back up to 152. Huh? Just mess with my mind will ya.

I did have a cortisone shot 2 days ago (still can barely hobble around) and I'm thinking it's related to that since food is good. You always hear about cortisone and weight, so maybe it's water retention from that, not sure.

Party tonight, I'm bringing dip/veggies and deviled eggs. Plan is to be good, maybe enjoy 1 glass of wine.

Hope everyone has a nice Friday and has a pleasant weekend. I don't think I'll be doing much as I can barely walk. Means this is a good time to eat less since I'm not burning it offf.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
A big welcome to Shauna and Martha

Ketones were the highest yesterday and I had no MCT oil or CO. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble. And my blood sugar was the lowest I've ever seen. Actually I took it twice since I'm using what I consider my less reliable meter and got a 69, then a 75. I can go for the 75.

So the low blood sugar high ketone thing (I had 2.0) were spot on this morning.

But my weight was back up to 152. Huh? Just mess with my mind will ya.

I did have a cortisone shot 2 days ago (still can barely hobble around) and I'm thinking it's related to that since food is good. You always hear about cortisone and weight, so maybe it's water retention from that, not sure.

Party tonight, I'm bringing dip/veggies and deviled eggs. Plan is to be good, maybe enjoy 1 glass of wine.

Hope everyone has a nice Friday and has a pleasant weekend. I don't think I'll be doing much as I can barely walk. Means this is a good time to eat less since I'm not burning it offf.
Hope you feel better Annette! Kathy
Old 07-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

So, doctor called this morning with concern about my cholesterol. I've never had high cholesterol.

Total: 233

LDL: 160

I know these are high, and I mostly assumed it would come back as such after reading Volek and Phinney as well as many other LCers blogs, etc.

Anyone else have this experience? Any insight would be great. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #237
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Are you actively losing weight? If so, the fat tissue releases stored hormones that can have an effect on ldl. Also what is most relevant is the hdl and triglycerides and total generally means nothing.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #238
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
So, doctor called this morning with concern about my cholesterol. I've never had high cholesterol.

I know these are high, and I mostly assumed it would come back as such after reading Volek and Phinney as well as many other LCers blogs, etc.

Actually anything under 300 is still good. I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know how old you are, but as we get older our total cholesterol gets higher. Cholesterol provides healing to the body. When our body senses inflammation of any type, cholesterol comes to the rescue to provide healing to the body. In fact, you will die if your cholesterol gets too low. That is why statins are not healthy. People with the highest cholesterol who are old actually live longer. Read the book, "Trick and Treat" by Dr. Barry Groves.
Carolyn

Last edited by lovetoknit; 07-19-2013 at 08:05 AM..
Old 07-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info Cathy. Especially the stored hormones, etc.

I'm waiting for the doctor to mail me the results, looking forward to seeing all of my numbers which will give me more insight.

I am actively losing weight, 33 lbs over the last 3.5 months. I feel fantastic, so I'm hoping this is just par for the course in NK. I really don't want to make any changes.

Your insight is helpful, I appreciate you writing.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:

Another great book is "Genocide! How Your Doctor's Dietary Ignorance Will Kill You!!!" by Dr. James E. Carlson.
Closed Thread