Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Good questions and several of them came up during Jimmie Moore's podcast: ATLCX (Episode 23): Long-Term Stalls & Weight Gain Even On A Well-Formulated Low-Carb Diet | Dr. Stephen Phinney

Unfortunately, it seemed that the response to a number of the women ended up being a variation on, "If you're not experiencing weight loss then you may need a comprehensive endocrinology work-up by an NK-sympathetic doctor and, yes, it can be tricky to find one of those".

However, it's certainly possible that other listeners picked up a different impression.
Thank you for reminding me of that podcast. I will relisten to it.

I am seeing an endo in 2 weeks for a thyroid biopsy for nodules. My blood work came back fine, but I had an ultrasound for what feels like a lump in my throat, though the doctor couldn't feel anything. But I guess they did find nodules, which are also quite common.

I'm on HRT too.

I am losing, so I'm not complaining about that, it is so darn slow though at this point. I just need to stop complaining about it though.

I had just hoped that NK might be that magic diet pill...wouldn't that be cool. And maybe it is for some, but not when you only have 15 or so pounds to lose and some insulin resistance.

I'm just going to keep plugging along, and before I know it, I will have lost the weight, and all we be good again, and I'll feel like the professional superstar who knows it all and doesn't understand what everyone else is complaining about.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Hi all

Hope everyone is well.

Sorry things aren't going quite to plan Annette It is interesting how we all have such different experiences. I can't answer your questions but my experience with insulin resistance and NK has been positive. In two months my insulin has gone down from 23 uiU/ml to 13 uIU/ml. (Sorry, dont know the unit of measurement you use in the US to convert).I have been taking metformin but it has not reversed the levels in the same way previously while on metformin.

I think I am fortunate that my body seems to like this way of eating and I don't seem very sensitive to things that can knock others out (so far anyway!!) I eat veg, lots of dairy, lots of nuts, flax, etc..and I have not been counting macros lately (although I know I need to!)
Perhaps it is because I have so much to lose???

I wouldn't say it is coming off especially quickly. But then, I don't even feel like I am really trying. As of this morning, I have lost 7.3kg (16 pounds). I don't have an exact starting date (because I started gradually reducing carbs for a month or so before "falling into" this WOE around the end of May/start of June). That said, i recorded my starting weight on 25th April - 117.4kg.

I think it might be worth seeing an endocrinologist to see if all your hormones levels are okay. (Just reread - perhaps you have have them all checked already?)

I hope things reverse soon

Cathy - I tried my yoghurt again yesterday. This time only a heaped tablespoon with my homemade grain free granola. Didnt knock me out! Maybe it has to do with the amount you have???

Last edited by Hot Potato; 07-13-2013 at 07:16 PM..
Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
I somehow missed a lot of the yogurt discussion. When I added back yogurt I wasn't testing ketones, but I do test my blood sugar, and I had to eat only a 1/4 cup for my numbers not to rise too much.

And that was full fat yogurt, Nancy's, which is quite good.

That is definitely not much food to see a noticeable change in one's blood sugar. I have not tested it yet with ketones, but I will next week perhaps.

But seriously, it makes me wonder about a lot of things. I've read the Phinney/Volek books and have watched all the videos and keep reading about NK, and they talk about the magic carb number of 50 grams.

Is that with a big man who can eat 2500-3000 cals in a day or more? What about women who are much smaller?

What about folks who are specifically extra insulin resistance?

There is only so much cutting back a person can do, me at least. I have to have some variety in my meals, and meal and fat won't cut it.

Has anyone seen any research specifically done on Women? I haven't googled it yet, but I can't help but feel we are missing something here.

Losing weight is so darn difficult, I've done it a zillion times though and as long as I'm focused and don't stray, I will lose, no matter the diet (at least that has always been my personal experience so far.) I just don't know how to maintain.

I'm just shocked at times when I read menus from women and see how much restriction they must do to lose a few lousy pounds.
Yes we women have to restrict a lot more than men. But I have to say that since I have been on LCHF, I do not go hungry. I was always hungry on a low calorie low fat diet. And I still did not lose any faster. I think that people have a hard time losing those last few pounds because sometimes they start to eat more, women have problems with hormones, or they really do not need to lose those pounds. They just think they are too fat. Sometimes our body tells us when we should stop losing. Also as we get smaller we really do not need so much food. Some of us will never be able to eat too many carbs ever again, even when we are on maintenance. I am sure that I will be one of those. But if I do not eat those foods, I don't miss them.
Carolyn
Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #184
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Annette,
Old 07-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post
Hi all

Hope everyone is well.

Sorry things aren't going quite to plan Annette It is interesting how we all have such different experiences. I can't answer your questions but my experience with insulin resistance and NK has been positive. In two months my insulin has gone down from 23 uiU/ml to 13 uIU/ml. (Sorry, dont know the unit of measurement you use in the US to convert).I have been taking metformin but it has not reversed the levels in the same way previously while on metformin.

I think I am fortunate that my body seems to like this way of eating and I don't seem very sensitive to things that can knock others out (so far anyway!!) I eat veg, lots of dairy, lots of nuts, flax, etc..and I have not been counting macros lately (although I know I need to!)

I wouldn't say it is coming off especially quickly. But then, I don't even feel like I am really trying. As of this morning, I have lost 7.3kg (16 pounds). I don't have an exact starting date (because I started gradually reducing carbs for a month or so before "falling into" this WOE around the end of May/start of June). That said, i recorded my starting weight on 25th April - 117.4kg.

I think it might be worth seeing an endocrinologist to see if all your hormones levels are okay. (Just reread - perhaps you have have them all checked already?)

I hope things reverse soon

Cathy - I tried my yoghurt again yesterday. This time only a heaped tablespoon with my homemade grain free granola. Didnt knock me out! Maybe it has to do with the amount you have???
Hot Potato, how much did you have? My little jars are only 6 oz when I start, and then I drain them (make them greek like) and its less than that when done... does not seem like too much, but who knows... LOL
Old 07-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post

I didn't mean to imply that things aren't going well, I think I was just complaining too much and I'll try not to do that so often (or if/when I do I'll keep it to my journal.) The weight is coming off, I just seem to have to be more restrictive than I'm happy with. I'm down a solid 13+ pounds in 10 weeks now, so I'm quite happy with that.

Though I'm going to the endo for the thyroid biopsy I hope to address other issues with him too. I am not diabetic, though my fasting numbers on a regular diet put me well over 125. I kind of know the truth, and my doctor tells me to eat what I know keeps them down, rather to label me as diabetic, which is honestly probably for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
Yes we women have to restrict a lot more than men. But I have to say that since I have been on LCHF, I do not go hungry. I was always hungry on a low calorie low fat diet. And I still did not lose any faster. I think that people have a hard time losing those last few pounds because sometimes they start to eat more, women have problems with hormones, or they really do not need to lose those pounds. They just think they are too fat. Sometimes our body tells us when we should stop losing. Also as we get smaller we really do not need so much food. Some of us will never be able to eat too many carbs ever again, even when we are on maintenance. I am sure that I will be one of those. But if I do not eat those foods, I don't miss them.
Carolyn
Since I've always lost weight on a regular low carb diet, it will definitely be interesting to see what happens as I get closer to what I think is my goal weight (around 130). I think I'll be one of those who doesn't get to eat many carbs, but salads and veggies will be fine with me, though I hope to go back to nuts, dairy and bit of other things. I can skip bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. with no trouble.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

I showed blood ketones today again, thank goodness. 0.7, urine moderate. But I only ate 10 grams of carbs yesterday (ouch.)

I feel a little run down though, so maybe it's still carb flu? No energy.

I'm going to spend the day reformatting a computer and start sewing a cover for my new Kindle. Sounds restful.

Wishing everyone else a nice fatty day!!!
Old 07-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
I think your loss sounds good Annette. You will get there (hopefully with some salad, nuts and dairy thrown into the mix )

Cathy, I had a tablespoon or two, so about 40ml (1.35 fluid ounces).

Down another 200gms this morning, so at 109.9kg. It's funny how I was stalling around the same two kilos for a few weeks and now it is dropping off much faster. Haven't changed anything so not sure why?? I'm not complaining though
Old 07-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Good morning everybuddy! Been meaning to ask- what is MCT oil? Is it coconut oil?
Thanks! Kathy
Old 07-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning Kathy!! How are you doing over there???

MCT I think is coconut oil, I think it stands for medium chain triglycerides (which is what CO is. an MCT)....

Yesterday we went to Ikea and then Maggiano's Little Italy for lunch. I did not touch the bread, or the pasta... had a caesar salad with chicken, sans croutons... and water to drink... so good for avoiding the good food.... and then had a dipped chocolate ice cream cone last night... blah!!

blood ketones this morning 0.3... grumble grumble.... I also have about 3 oz of wine last night .... otherwise, was on task and was up 1.5 lbs this morning too, really?? I am having a hard time lately, need to find some focus I think....
Old 07-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Good morning Kathy!! How are you doing over there???

MCT I think is coconut oil, I think it stands for medium chain triglycerides (which is what CO is. an MCT)....

Yesterday we went to Ikea and then Maggiano's Little Italy for lunch. I did not touch the bread, or the pasta... had a caesar salad with chicken, sans croutons... and water to drink... so good for avoiding the good food.... and then had a dipped chocolate ice cream cone last night... blah!!

blood ketones this morning 0.3... grumble grumble.... I also have about 3 oz of wine last night .... otherwise, was on task and was up 1.5 lbs this morning too, really?? I am having a hard time lately, need to find some focus I think....
Thanks Hon! When I typed MCT oil it came up highlighted and I clicked on it and saw it at Netrition! Some people just take it to up their fat, huh?
I know, doesn't that just fry you to be so "semi-good" and the scale go up for so little! I survived my 3 days of company, birthday dinner and another dinner with friends, and still .7 this am and 127! So I'll take it! :-)) But it IS HARD! Next week we are on vacation with the whole fam damily and the DIL's are all planning these wonderful desserts they are making :-(.
Kathy
Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
Thanks Hon! When I typed MCT oil it came up highlighted and I clicked on it and saw it at Netrition! Some people just take it to up their fat, huh?
I know, doesn't that just fry you to be so "semi-good" and the scale go up for so little! I survived my 3 days of company, birthday dinner and another dinner with friends, and still .7 this am and 127! So I'll take it! :-)) But it IS HARD! Next week we are on vacation with the whole fam damily and the DIL's are all planning these wonderful desserts they are making :-(.
Kathy
It is hard to keep my head in the game because of things like that. I am 3 weeks out from England/Italy, and pretty sure I am not going to lose much in the meantime! Boo! Will keep working on it, and just remember that this is my life now, carbs hate me, and I need to not have them, weight loss or not...

desserts.... yummy!! So missing chocolate desserts right now! (probably why the ice cream cone... but really wanted a huge molten lava cake or something! ) LOL
Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

I bought some MCT oil to try out. I kind of like to try new things. It has absolutely no taste. I can't take oil straight, but 1 T in a glass of water and I was able to swallow it down with no trouble (can't do that with cod liver oil though.)

I used it in salad dressing. About 1 T, some vinegar/water (as needed), a bit of mustard, salt, pepper, and one drop of sweetner. It's really very good.

I probably wouldn't eat enough of the MCT oil for it to make a difference in my daily plan, so unless I see some marvelous changes, I probably wouldn't buy it again.

Personally I need to get my fat in food because I don't find extra fat very palatable. A little extra butter or salad dressings works well, extra oil to cook, but I don't do well taking it straight. I'm not big on CO either though.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

I think I'm going to relax a bit foodwise. I will still test for those darn ketones, but I can't be so strict for more than a few days at a time.

In otherwords, I allowed myself to enjoy some almonds and dark chocolate this afternoon, and it was wonderful.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Anyone here concerned about having blood work done and wigging their doctors out? Kathy
Old 07-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It is hard to keep my head in the game because of things like that. I am 3 weeks out from England/Italy, and pretty sure I am not going to lose much in the meantime! Boo! Will keep working on it, and just remember that this is my life now, carbs hate me, and I need to not have them, weight loss or not...

desserts.... yummy!! So missing chocolate desserts right now! (probably why the ice cream cone... but really wanted a huge molten lava cake or something! ) LOL
Cathy, make yourself a chocolate lava mug cake! :-) Kathy
Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Cathy, make yourself a chocolate lava mug cake! :-) Kathy
Yes, good, but not the same when you are having serious cravings! LOL

I am over it right now, but will try to remember for the next one.

Why do you think your blood work will wig out the doctors? The fat content? cholesterol type stuff???
Old 07-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/132.8/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:
Anyone here concerned about having blood work done and wigging their doctors out? Kathy
Kathy, I can tell you that my bloodwork has never been better. My Dr. just checked it about a month ago, and it's perfect, with everything exactly where it should be. The same for my DBF. His Dr. recently told him that he should be sure to keep doing whatever he's doing because it's obviously working. A ketogenic diet should actually give you really good results.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #199
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aiya
Stats: 220/192.8/180-174
WOE: LCHF/NK
My wife made me go take a full blood work when I was 3 months into NK just to be on the safe side and I came away with the best numbers I had ever seen lol. My doctor's first words were, "wow, you look really good" can't go wrong with that kind of thing
Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #200
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My doctor described my lipid panel (f.b.g. and A1C) as 'fantastic' and that was after 3+ yrs of ketosis. It was not always the case when eating a SAD. I had 'high cholesterol and was on a statin. There is no doubt at all that n.k. will improve where ever you started.

Last edited by clackley; 07-16-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Old 07-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

It's great to hear about all the awesome blood work reports.

My Cholesterol has always been fantastic. Blood sugar in fine if I control it with diet.

My blood pressure runs a little high though. My doctor has never said anything about it though. I would like to see that go down, but it never did even when I lost weight before. I might talk to her about that but not for a few months.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes, good, but not the same when you are having serious cravings! LOL

I am over it right now, but will try to remember for the next one.

Why do you think your blood work will wig out the doctors? The fat content? cholesterol type stuff???
Yup! I was afraid my cholesterol would skyrocket, but from the replies I am getting, evidently it doesn't! Kathy
Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
My doctor described my lipid panel (f.b.g. and A1C) as 'fantastic' and that was after 3+ yrs of ketosis. It was not always the case when eating a SAD. I had 'high cholesterol and was on a statin. There is no doubt at all that n.k. will improve where ever you started.

So Cathy you were able to ditch the statin? Fantastic!!! Kathy
Old 07-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiya View Post
My wife made me go take a full blood work when I was 3 months into NK just to be on the safe side and I came away with the best numbers I had ever seen lol. My doctor's first words were, "wow, you look really good" can't go wrong with that kind of thing
Oh NICE!!! Love to hear this! Kathy
Old 07-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Kathy, I can tell you that my bloodwork has never been better. My Dr. just checked it about a month ago, and it's perfect, with everything exactly where it should be. The same for my DBF. His Dr. recently told him that he should be sure to keep doing whatever he's doing because it's obviously working. A ketogenic diet should actually give you really good results.
Thanks MtherGoos! Looks like there is some skydiving in your near future!
Kathy
Old 07-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
I have been reading this thread for a few days and wanted to say hello and thank you all for sharing your experience. I'm working my way through a couple weeks worth of "stall" right now, plus what I think is NSAID-related water weight.

I have sort of backed into this WOE. I have high blood pressure and was showing symptoms of high blood sugar, too. Big old belly. Started out just dieting by the seat of my pants, then gradually learned from the internet and read a couple of books, and now here I am.

I have been staying between 20 and 50 net carbs a day since June 1, mostly in the 20s or 30s for the past month. I don't test for ketones and am doubtful whether I've ever gotten into ketosis, to tell you the truth.

Since I was within 15 pounds of my goal weight when I learned the ropes, I've never completely stopped eating a little bit of fruit, almond butter, or the occasional carrot. A little bit of yogurt. Sometimes I'll put a few beans into a soup or work a tablespoon of rolled oats into something I'm fixing. But it's mostly non-starchy vegetables, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese. Salads with avocado and olives. And lots of vegetable soups with chicken and kale or tomato based soups with an egg and some cheese cooked on top.

And a square of very dark chocolate every single day before bed. It's been a big adjustment for me. I was happy to live on greens, beans, and rice, homemade bread, and fruit three times a day. Fish once in a while. Chicken when I went to restaurants. But my health was going straight to hell, so here I am. Learning something new!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Hi. I haven't been around since Dec. Gained back 20 since I quit smoking. Went carb crazy. Starting back today with 80/15/5. Seems to be new group since then. How are you laying out your plans?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Martha, and welcome back Cici. Specific boards to tend to change as people try new things, or become content with what they are doing (so they stop talking about it.) I'm talking a lot cause I'm new, probably boring everyone to death.

I FINALLY dropped under 150 this morning and that is a big applause for me. Down 15 pounds and going on my 11th week.

I commented on MCT on another thread just yesterday I believe, and I think I might have to take back my comments. I have found a trend and I believe it's the MCT oil I've been taking (or not taking) that is raising my ketones. I'm going to increase it a little more. I can just chug it in a small glass of water to get it down.

Measured 1.6 in blood ketones this morning, I think I'm finally starting to cruise. Will keep you posted on the MCT oil and I'm going to do a bit of research on it too.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:41 AM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Just a note to people just starting to take MCT oil, start gradually. I have not had any ill effect, but lots of people report this. I usually just eat CO, but I am adding MCT oil to my p.m. iced coffee as it doesn't solidify on ice as CO does.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Just a note to people just starting to take MCT oil, start gradually. I have not had any ill effect, but lots of people report this. I usually just eat CO, but I am adding MCT oil to my p.m. iced coffee as it doesn't solidify on ice as CO does.
So do you all add this into your fat grams for the day???? Kathy
Closed Thread