Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Come to think of it, I was not eating this before and was in ketosis, so you might be right, it might be the yogurt, as thats the new added item. You might be a genius Hot potato!! LOL Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
I don't measure blood at the moment (need to get a meter). But I have found the sticks to be very reliable for me (if I eat anything off plan, there goes the positive sticks).

My yoghurt was 350ml whole milk and 300ml pouring cream with 3tbs of store bought vanilla greek yoghurt (with no added sugar). I will work out macros.

Edit -

Okay, so my whole batch of 700mls has 38.3gm carbs (23 from the milk), 1317 calories, 119.4gm fat, 25.3gm protein, 34gms sugar (from the lactose ).

Last edited by Hot Potato; 07-10-2013 at 04:29 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post
I don't measure blood at the moment (need to get a meter). But I have found the sticks to be very reliable for me (if I eat anything off plan, there goes the positive sticks).

My yoghurt was 350ml whole milk and 300ml pouring cream with 3tbs of store bought vanilla greek yoghurt (with no added sugar). I will work out macros.
Mine was 22 oz cream, 20 oz whole milk and euro cuisine starter mix...
461 calories, 4 carbs, 3 protein and 47 fat
Old 07-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Are the macros per serve?

I have not measured out serves as it is still in the jar.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Come to think of it, I was not eating this before and was in ketosis, so you might be right, it might be the yogurt, as thats the new added item. You might be a genius Hot potato!! LOL Thanks!
Genius?! Lol! I'll take that!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
These look great! Not super different from an oopsie. But what kind of SF syrup do you all use? What I find in the grocery store still has 12 carbs unless I didn't look at the label and subtract the alcohols. Sugar alcohols don't sit well with my stomach. Can you believe I recent sound out I'm allergic to avocado! after eating one practically every day for a year. Research shoes it might be because they are high in sorbitol. Woe is me!!!

Great news on the recipe front!!! Last night I made a huge batch of stuffed cabbage from a recipe in another thread here someplace. My family swooned over it!!! Whoever posted it....THANK YOU!!![/QUOTE]

Amy I use Mrs. Butterworths sugar free- it is pretty good! I'd sure LOVE the stuffed cabbage recipe!
Kathy
Old 07-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
can you give a link to that recipe . . . stuffed cabbage sounds good right now
Old 07-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post
Are the macros per serve?

I have not measured out serves as it is still in the jar.
It is 91.75% fat per serving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
These look great! Not super different from an oopsie. But what kind of SF syrup do you all use? What I find in the grocery store still has 12 carbs unless I didn't look at the label and subtract the alcohols. Sugar alcohols don't sit well with my stomach. Can you believe I recent sound out I'm allergic to avocado! after eating one practically every day for a year. Research shoes it might be because they are high in sorbitol. Woe is me!!!

Great news on the recipe front!!! Last night I made a huge batch of stuffed cabbage from a recipe in another thread here someplace. My family swooned over it!!! Whoever posted it....THANK YOU!!!
Amy I use Mrs. Butterworths sugar free- it is pretty good! I'd sure LOVE the stuffed cabbage recipe!
Kathy[/QUOTE]

Kathy, sorry about the avocado.. sucks that you just found out allergic to it!! I use Log Cabin SF syrup I think... I would have to look at the label, but I am not super sensitive to sugar alcohols....
Old 07-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #159
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Whoa, now this is SCARY! STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!!!!
Kathy
I know, right? I've been trying to walk 10000 steps per day as of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Thanks, SlowSure, thanks so much. I'm gonna go look them up now.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #160

SlowSure, that was it, I read the abstract. Thanks again for linking.

I found another interesting abstract linked on the previous abstract page:
Role of low energy expenditure and sitting in obesi... [Diabetes. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

This is why I am convinced that getting the eating under control is only one piece of the metabolic puzzle. There is much more to resolving Metabolic Syndrome, which some of us have.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Thanks for the great articles, I just finished up the last one posted by Eliza.

Quite a few years ago now I purchased a GoWearFit (BodyBugg) and used it and it was great for learning how sitting on one's backside did nothing for the caloric burn during the day.

I later graduated to a Fitbit (allergy to the metal contact on the GWF) and I still wear it most days. I'm not always as active as I'd like to be, but if I at least show a 2000 calorie burn day, I know I did okay. I tend to average between 2000-2300. If it's below 2000 I did nothing, not even a walk. If it's over 2300 it was probably a dance night and 2 walks.

I sit a lot too. I sit for work as a receptionist (though I work 20-24 hrs a week) and I sit at home at the computer, to read and to knit.

Plus I have some nasty neuromas in my foot so they just need to rest at times.

But I guess where I meant to go with my comment, is that I can see how it's the little daily activity that builds up, the housework, the up and down the stairs to do laundry, taking the dog on a short walk, grocery shopping, etc. those are the things that really do increase one's daily burn. Not the 30 min on the elliptical (which I do on occasion too.)

I actually do highly recommend using one of these tools to track your daily burn.

Thanks for the great articles.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Finally got my 1.4 on the blood ketone meter this morning. Life can go on again. Phew......

And I dropped a pound.

Goal is to repeat yesterday. But this no carb thing isn't for me. I'll have to add some back in soon as I was NOT a happy camper yesterday. I can handle induction levels, but not only meat/fat.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Finally got my 1.4 on the blood ketone meter this morning. Life can go on again. Phew......

And I dropped a pound.

Goal is to repeat yesterday. But this no carb thing isn't for me. I'll have to add some back in soon as I was NOT a happy camper yesterday. I can handle induction levels, but not only meat/fat.
Annette, I am with you too! I am this morning at least back in, 0.9, and I think the urine strips are thinking about being pink. They are just on the border of trace... but its a start back I guess. I did not have any yogurt yesterday!! My blood sugar is back in the 70s today... so thats good as well.... weight came down about a 1 lb of my bump up from a week ago too! 4 weeks to England/Italy, not long to try to catch up on some weight loss... need to cut the calories for the next 2 weeks too I think...
Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #164

Annette, you're very welcome! I feel I sometimes concentrate on eating the right stuff so much, I forget that movement can increase my insulin sensitivity and be a great helper in getting my body to function normally. I'm with you, it's the daily moving around that can make a huge difference. I'm usually pretty sedentary too, but I have made a commitment to change things. I walked 10,006 steps yesterday and my FitBit was happy

Congrats on the lb. loss :hi5:
Old 07-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #165

I've been on Induction-level carb restriction for 6 full days and have lost 6.4 lbs. Water or no water, I'm glad to be rid of them. Keto stix still confuse me, color is not consistent with anything on the label.

Just read here on LCF last night that Walmart's cream now has carbs in it, so beware. The new redesigned red container lists milk as second ingredient and has 1 gram of carbs per serving as opposed to 0 carbs as it used to be. So time to look into another brand that just has cream as the first and only ingredient.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Kathy
Kathy, I looked today at my syrup (log cabin SF) and it has 8 carbs, 7 are sugar alcohols.. which I dont count them... but I also dont use very much of it...
Old 07-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
I gave up my homemade yogurt for that reason. Mine was very high fat as well. I only ate 3 oz a day, but it definitely affected me.
Carolyn
Old 07-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
I gave up my homemade yogurt for that reason. Mine was very high fat as well. I only ate 3 oz a day, but it definitely affected me.
Carolyn
Well, I was definitely back in urine ketosis just now, moderate, and then 0.9 this morning on the blood ketones too, so I guess I need to give it up too!! boo!! I wonder if it would be the same if I made it with heavy cream only or .... heavy cream and half and half... I love me some yogurt darn it!!

Okay, off for my run.... check back later!!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well, I was definitely back in urine ketosis just now, moderate, and then 0.9 this morning on the blood ketones too, so I guess I need to give it up too!! boo!! I wonder if it would be the same if I made it with heavy cream only or .... heavy cream and half and half... I love me some yogurt darn it!!

Glad to hear you're back in ketosis.

I was much happier eating my lunch today with an added cucumber salad. Amazing how a little bit of variety helps me feel satisfied.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:

I know how you feel. I really like my yogurt. I will add it back when I lose all my weight.
Carolyn
Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

So tested again today, 1.0 on the blood ketones.
Urine ketosis keeps coming in and out.. weird! Not staying consistently in, but thats okay, I have started to drop the gain from my horrible weekend! It takes me so long to recover from a carb binge its not even funny!!

Tonight we are going country dancing (lessons) which is what set me off weeks ago off track. Hope that I can maintain myself tonight and not blow it again! I have also started taking my HCG shots again as a test. When I first got back to NK... it was actually through the HCG and doing a Fat Fast.... as I was struggling to stay on target with the HCG alone.... and I lost well with the FF, so kept doing my shots until they ran out... which was just about the last country dance lesson night... and then since then, have been not moving really anywhere... so I mixed up a small batch as a test to see it will help me... today is the 3rd shot. But I am not eating HCG wise, still doing NK wise for food and calorie totals.... if it does not work, well, I tried, if it does, hey great!!!

How is everyone doing this morning? Good??
Old 07-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So tested again today, 1.0 on the blood ketones.
Urine ketosis keeps coming in and out.. weird! Not staying consistently in, but thats okay, I have started to drop the gain from my horrible weekend! It takes me so long to recover from a carb binge its not even funny!!

Tonight we are going country dancing (lessons) which is what set me off weeks ago off track.
Country Dancing!!! Whoo hoo and a big Yea Haw!!! My husband and I are big two-steppers and dance every Wednesday and Friday night. We've been doing it for almost 6 years now and are pretty darn good if I say so myself. Have a great time.

Glad the ketones are in range.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Country Dancing!!! Whoo hoo and a big Yea Haw!!! My husband and I are big two-steppers and dance every Wednesday and Friday night. We've been doing it for almost 6 years now and are pretty darn good if I say so myself. Have a great time.

Glad the ketones are in range.
We suck, but we are trying to learn!! Love it so far..
Old 07-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

I somehow missed a lot of the yogurt discussion. When I added back yogurt I wasn't testing ketones, but I do test my blood sugar, and I had to eat only a 1/4 cup for my numbers not to rise too much.

And that was full fat yogurt, Nancy's, which is quite good.

That is definitely not much food to see a noticeable change in one's blood sugar. I have not tested it yet with ketones, but I will next week perhaps.

But seriously, it makes me wonder about a lot of things. I've read the Phinney/Volek books and have watched all the videos and keep reading about NK, and they talk about the magic carb number of 50 grams.

Is that with a big man who can eat 2500-3000 cals in a day or more? What about women who are much smaller?

What about folks who are specifically extra insulin resistance?

There is only so much cutting back a person can do, me at least. I have to have some variety in my meals, and meal and fat won't cut it.

Has anyone seen any research specifically done on Women? I haven't googled it yet, but I can't help but feel we are missing something here.

Losing weight is so darn difficult, I've done it a zillion times though and as long as I'm focused and don't stray, I will lose, no matter the diet (at least that has always been my personal experience so far.) I just don't know how to maintain.

I'm just shocked at times when I read menus from women and see how much restriction they must do to lose a few lousy pounds.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

My blood ketones were 1.5 this morning, I didn't test urine. Weight stayed pretty much the same.

I have had every single last ketostix turn pink on me. So when others say their's never turn, my always do.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Women tend to be smaller, so that's part of the matter, but I think there are biological probably hormonal things at work. So many menopausal women gain weight around their middle. I wish I were the exception.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Women tend to be smaller, so that's part of the matter, but I think there are biological probably hormonal things at work. So many menopausal women gain weight around their middle. I wish I were the exception.
I turned 40 and the belly started to grow. I know it will go away with weightloss but it will never go all the way away. You can look at my old photos and see the belly. I called it my BuddaBelly.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #178
Senior LCF Member

I already did my daily rant in my journal, here's the link if you care to read it.

Short summary is blood ketones measured low, and all I did was eat some extra carbs in the form of salad. And I was still well under induction levels. Protein, though a bit higher, was in the correct range too.

I can't help but wonder about all the different little things that might affect this.

I'll try again today, just a little harder.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
But seriously, it makes me wonder about a lot of things. I've read the Phinney/Volek books and have watched all the videos and keep reading about NK, and they talk about the magic carb number of 50 grams.

Is that with a big man who can eat 2500-3000 cals in a day or more? What about women who are much smaller?

What about folks who are specifically extra insulin resistance?
Has anyone seen any research specifically done on Women? I haven't googled it yet, but I can't help but feel we are missing something here.
Good questions and several of them came up during Jimmie Moore's podcast: ATLCX (Episode 23): Long-Term Stalls & Weight Gain Even On A Well-Formulated Low-Carb Diet | Dr. Stephen Phinney

Unfortunately, it seemed that the response to a number of the women ended up being a variation on, "If you're not experiencing weight loss then you may need a comprehensive endocrinology work-up by an NK-sympathetic doctor and, yes, it can be tricky to find one of those".

However, it's certainly possible that other listeners picked up a different impression.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I already did my daily rant in my journal, here's the link if you care to read it.

Short summary is blood ketones measured low, and all I did was eat some extra carbs in the form of salad. And I was still well under induction levels. Protein, though a bit higher, was in the correct range too.

I can't help but wonder about all the different little things that might affect this.

I'll try again today, just a little harder.
Maybe it was just a bad reading, as I have heard that the Nova Max are not the most reliable. I have this one too.... I dont think we can drop out that quick, (assuming maybe you are back in tomorrow)... so see what it says tomorrow... and if you are back in, maybe it was a faulty reading... ??

I know how frustrating it is... I am not able to consistently get in on the urine sticks, but tested again this morning, and while not high, it was 0.9 so I guess blood wise, still in.. what a struggle. I had salad last night too and a little wine and then a dessert martini... not normal for me... wish I knew for sure!!!
Closed Thread