Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Honestly, I don't think I could do a fat fast. But today I skipped breakfast and had my coffee and cream, then I ate a late morning snack of chicken and cheese, and just now (almost 3 PM) had my lunch of bacon and eggs. I'll keep dinner as low as I can get away with, but it's stirfry, so I will have no more than a cup and add some extra oil to mine.

That's the sad part, a week and a half ago my blood ketones did show up at 1.4 and 1.5 (I used the 2 strips that came with the Novamax and then ordered more). I'll just try to not be so anxious, but it is frustrating.

I'm not trying to rush the weight loss or anything (okay, so I wish it were gone already) but just want to know I'm in the zone. I am really excited to get under 150 again though and I'm so close.
How much in the protein department are you hitting? Maybe its too much protein, not enough fat. You might have posted your meals for a few days, but maybe try that and we can see if can figure it out with you! I am still trying to get back into ketosis! I am hoping at least by tomorrow... but we will see!! I am being super good and no veges or greens....

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Honestly, I don't think I could do a fat fast. But today I skipped breakfast and had my coffee and cream, then I ate a late morning snack of chicken and cheese, and just now (almost 3 PM) had my lunch of bacon and eggs. I'll keep dinner as low as I can get away with, but it's stirfry, so I will have no more than a cup and add some extra oil to mine.

That's the sad part, a week and a half ago my blood ketones did show up at 1.4 and 1.5 (I used the 2 strips that came with the Novamax and then ordered more). I'll just try to not be so anxious, but it is frustrating.

I'm not trying to rush the weight loss or anything (okay, so I wish it were gone already) but just want to know I'm in the zone. I am really excited to get under 150 again though and I'm so close.
My husband and I have found that when we eat most of our food by noon each day, we lose better. We just have dessert at night. He has a berry and cream shake, and I eat chocolate whipped cream or cream cheese mixed with whipped cream with a drop of sweetener. It stays with us all evening, and we are not hungry. I can wear a smaller size pants today.
Carolyn

Last edited by lovetoknit; 07-09-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
My husband and I have found that when we eat most of our food by noon each day, we lose better. We just have dessert at night. He has a berry and cream shake, and I eat chocolate whipped cream or cream cheese mixed with whipped cream with a drop of sweetener. It stays with us all evening, and we are not hungry. I can wear a smaller size pants today.
Carolyn
Actually I agree with you. I do best eating early in the day and then having a big snack in the afternoon and I could skip dinner. Problem is...cough....my husband loves to cook and he goes most the day with little food and then wants dinner. Since he's being so good about cooking low carb, I feel pretty crappy saying, sorry dear I don't want veggies tonight. I just eat less of them. Thankfully I've never been a nighttime snacker.

I like days I'm at home so I can just do my coffee and cream until I'm hungry around 10:30 or so. Today was the first time I ever went to work without eating breakfast and it actually worked just fine. I had no clue what to expect. But I'm going to try it again tomorrow.

By the way, I'm a knitter too. Are you on Ravelry? I'm easy to find, my user name is the same as on here....I'm not very creative.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I like my food earlier in the day too.
Last few days I've been rather unenthusiastically eating a chunk of salmon or a chicken thigh as my evening meal. Some of this appetite loss may be due to heat and humidity, but I am hoping it's a real, lasting decrease in my appetite.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
How much in the protein department are you hitting? Maybe its too much protein, not enough fat. You might have posted your meals for a few days, but maybe try that and we can see if can figure it out with you! I am still trying to get back into ketosis! I am hoping at least by tomorrow... but we will see!! I am being super good and no veges or greens....
I started my journal and have posted my numbers there. My protein range is 60-90. Honestly, 60 is hard to do , it's so low. I think 70-80 is a good place for me. Yesterday I had 70 g protein, 152 g fat, and 26 g carbs (8 fiber) so 16 net. I really dislike tracking though and don't want to do it too often. I want to try to drop those carbs a little more for now. I think those numbers will be good later on.

I think carbs tend to sneak in and we don't realize it. I will skip the nuts (and tiny piece of chocolate) for the next few days....ouch.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I started my journal and have posted my numbers there. My protein range is 60-90. Honestly, 60 is hard to do , it's so low. I think 70-80 is a good place for me. Yesterday I had 70 g protein, 152 g fat, and 26 g carbs (8 fiber) so 16 net. I really dislike tracking though and don't want to do it too often. I want to try to drop those carbs a little more for now. I think those numbers will be good later on.

I think carbs tend to sneak in and we don't realize it. I will skip the nuts (and tiny piece of chocolate) for the next few days....ouch.
My protein is usually in the 40s or most like 50s... It is very hard to get it lower, and still eat fat! I find that the toughest part..

I am still not back in ketosis... grrr!!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Actually I agree with you. I do best eating early in the day and then having a big snack in the afternoon and I could skip dinner. Problem is...cough....my husband loves to cook and he goes most the day with little food and then wants dinner. Since he's being so good about cooking low carb, I feel pretty crappy saying, sorry dear I don't want veggies tonight. I just eat less of them. Thankfully I've never been a nighttime snacker.

I like days I'm at home so I can just do my coffee and cream until I'm hungry around 10:30 or so. Today was the first time I ever went to work without eating breakfast and it actually worked just fine. I had no clue what to expect. But I'm going to try it again tomorrow.

By the way, I'm a knitter too. Are you on Ravelry? I'm easy to find, my user name is the same as on here....I'm not very creative.
Yes, I am on Ravelry. My name is lovetoknit51.
Carolyn
Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #128
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Another good day WOE-wise....stayed at 75% fat, 11 net carbs, and around 1600 cal. Calories are low for me, but I just didn't feel hungry, so why eat it if I don't want it. Night is usually the worst time for me as far as overeating and stuffing my face with carbs, but 4 days on solid LC has taken care of that.

It never ceases to amaze me how well high fat/LC works to turn this overeating creature who has never in her life been able to could control her food intake when on carbs into someone who is like ...meh....I'm full, I don't care for more food.

My keto stix turn a color too dark and different from the available colors to match on the bottle. I'm presuming I'm in ketosis due to under 20 gram carb intake daily, but who knows?

I also walked 7210 steps today so far.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 07-09-2013 at 08:32 PM..
Old 07-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I like my food earlier in the day too.
Last few days I've been rather unenthusiastically eating a chunk of salmon or a chicken thigh as my evening meal. Some of this appetite loss may be due to heat and humidity, but I am hoping it's a real, lasting decrease in my appetite.
Bella, I think it's the latter Good bye, unstoppable appetite!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #130

Quote:
Trust me. If you stay away from carbs, your portion sizes will naturally decrease. You will start to get full much sooner.
Carolyn
Carolyn, I hope so. Wasn't too hungry today.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My protein is usually in the 40s or most like 50s... It is very hard to get it lower, and still eat fat! I find that the toughest part..

I am still not back in ketosis... grrr!!
Nuts knock me out all of the time. I had some almonds over the weekend. I was up a pound for 2 days afterward. I love them but they definitely affect my insulin levels.
Carolyn
Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

My weight dropped a pound, down to a new low. but the darn ketones still measure at "Lo." I'm so tempted to try a strip from a different batch. Next time, if there is a next time, I'll order the other strips and at least see a number.

I have my menu planned for the day, guess I'll see if I can go virtually zero carbs, just for 1 day. And tomorrow is my day off, so I can do it then too, if I choose/need to extend my no-carb day by one day.

Otherwise, I guess I just have to stop my complaining.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Annette, can you try a pee stick? Just to compare?

My yoghurt worked, by the way! .....

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/me...t-yoghurt.html

Last edited by Hot Potato; 07-10-2013 at 04:24 AM..
Old 07-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post

Yes, my pee sticks have turned everytime I've used them since I started (week 10 now). Most mornings are at Moderate, this morning at Large.

I think I'll test the blood ketones this afternoon, after no carbs all day and only protein and fat. If I don't see a number I'll know it's a bad batch (or I can at least assume so.) I just checked, and all three boxes I have are the same lot number.

Once again...I need to stop complaining and I'll test in the afternoon.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:35 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

I don't have a blood meter but is it possible you aren't using it correctly?

I would imagine you are in ketosis if the pee stick says you are.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #136
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
There are 3 different types of ketones and the ones that are excreted through urine and respiration are less likely to be excreted at all once keto adapted and are used for energy instead. This is not 100% true and some people (such as myself) continue to excrete them.

So ketostix can confirm ketosis but they cannot deny it.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Nuts knock me out all of the time. I had some almonds over the weekend. I was up a pound for 2 days afterward. I love them but they definitely affect my insulin levels.
Carolyn
I have not been eating nuts so thats not my problem for sure...
Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

So decided even though not showing in urine ketosis to test the blood ketones today and just as I suspected, not in those either, came up LO... booo!!!!!

I am unable to figure it out. At least urine ketosis I should have after 3 days, even if not back in blood ketones, but nope!! grumble grumble grumble!! I went back and read my food logs, I keep them every day and I am not eating any different. Cant figure it out!!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #139

I found these quotes in an article on daily movement that made me think about non-food causes of persistant insulin resistance and burning carbs instead of fat.

This is from an online article titled How Moving More May Save Your Life by Tom Nikkola. I have not yet had time to search PubMed for a study the author referenced in claiming one day of sitting reduces insulin sensitivity by 39%.

Quote:
Just one day of sitting has been shown to result in a 39% reduction in insulin action, which means the body must produce more insulin than normal to keep blood sugar levels steady. As insulin levels rise, the storage of fat increases and reliance on carbohydrate increases. As the body becomes more of a sugar-burner, triglycerides also increase. Without activity, the body isn’t able to clear triglycerides from the blood as well. Since the muscular system is not challenged with movement, it has no use for the triglycerides floating around in the blood stream
Quote:
Fuel utilization shifts to carbohydrates while at rest rather than fat. This also takes place even if calorie intake is limited. Though low-intensity activity like long-duration cardio favors fat utilization, inactivity or being sedentary shifts the body away from using fat and toward the use of carbohydrate, likely as a result of rising insulin levels.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #140
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chori
Start Date: September 2009
Our meter and test strips came yesterday, so this morning was the first test. Gosh, I had a hard time doing that. Maybe tomorrow will be less dramatic! Hubby has decided to come along on the NK journey, and I'm so glad. He just took early retirement and I want him healthy for a long, long time. He is inching toward 300 pounds and is ready to see the scale move in the right direction. I'm down to that last 10 pounds but it just won't budge, even with Atkin's style low carb. Not sure if age has anything to do with it, but I did just turn 60.

My ketones read as 0.5 this morning and blood sugar was 98. Usually my blood sugar is in the high 70s, so this was disappointing. We did go out of town for the weekend (anniversary) and way overindulged. Those days have got to be over! I need to get a handle on a doable meal plan that won't leave DH thinking he's starving without a plate full of protein.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Quote:

YAY Hot Potato! I was wondering! Kathy
Old 07-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Just measured (it was tough to use an extra blood ketone stick) and at least a saw a number rather than "lo."

It measured 0.4, so still under 0.5 and that was for an afternoon, not morning.

But it just goes to show I was totally out of nutritional ketosis (morning number wise) even though the urine sticks show moderate/large.

I'll just keep plugging away at it.

Just thought I'd report.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So decided even though not showing in urine ketosis to test the blood ketones today and just as I suspected, not in those either, came up LO... booo!!!!!

I am unable to figure it out. At least urine ketosis I should have after 3 days, even if not back in blood ketones, but nope!! grumble grumble grumble!! I went back and read my food logs, I keep them every day and I am not eating any different. Cant figure it out!!
I know you are frustrated, but keep plugging away and NO FRENCH FRIES or nothin' and I KNOW you will get back! Kathy
Old 07-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
I found these quotes in an article on daily movement that made me think about non-food causes of persistant insulin resistance and burning carbs instead of fat.

This is from an online article titled How Moving More May Save Your Life by Tom Nikkola. I have not yet had time to search PubMed for a study the author referenced in claiming one day of sitting reduces insulin sensitivity by 39%.

Whoa, now this is SCARY! STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!!!!
Kathy
Old 07-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
I have not yet had time to search PubMed for a study the author referenced in claiming one day of sitting reduces insulin sensitivity by 39%.
I'm fairly sure it's this paper from Saunders et al: Acute Sedentary Behaviour and Markers of Cardiometabolic Risk: A Systematic Review of Intervention Studies
Old 07-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
I know you are frustrated, but keep plugging away and NO FRENCH FRIES or nothin' and I KNOW you will get back! Kathy
Yep, still giving it a go!! We will see how many more days I can manage before I blow it!! Grrr! I am sure I should not test blood ketones again at least until in urine ketosis for a day or two at least!! I still dont know why not though...
Old 07-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
My above should have read, I'm fairly sure it's this paper Effects of 1 day of inactivity on insulin action ... [Metabolism. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI which is linked from Saunders et al: Acute Sedentary Behaviour and Markers of Cardiometabolic Risk: A Systematic Review of Intervention Studies
Old 07-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Just measured (it was tough to use an extra blood ketone stick) and at least a saw a number rather than "lo."

It measured 0.4, so still under 0.5 and that was for an afternoon, not morning.

But it just goes to show I was totally out of nutritional ketosis (morning number wise) even though the urine sticks show moderate/large.

I'll just keep plugging away at it.

Just thought I'd report.
Annette, you prompted me to do this too, measure later in the day, which I never do, only in the morning fasting, and mine was 0.5 this afternoon. But my urine sticks are not showing either.. what does that mean? I have no idea! LOL
Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Something interesting happened to me. Last night's pee stick showed ketones of 4-6. This morning there were only traces.

For dinner I ate a chicken breast fillet stuffed with jalapeños and fetta cheese wrapped in bacon (had this before with no issues). I also had two mushrooms and a handful of green beans.

THEN I had some of the yoghurt I made (maybe 1/2/- 2/3 cup) with a tsp natural peanut butter (nothing added)....

I am wondering if it's the yoghurt Cathy???
Old 07-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Something interesting happened to me. Last night's pee stick showed ketones of 4-6. This morning there were only traces.

For dinner I ate a chicken breast fillet stuffed with jalapeños and fetta cheese wrapped in bacon (had this before with no issues). I also had two mushrooms and a handful of green beans.

THEN I had some of the yoghurt I made (maybe 1/2/- 2/3 cup) with a tsp natural peanut butter (nothing added)....

I am wondering if it's the yoghurt Cathy???
Hmmm, I was not in it before that, but I could have been still kicked out from the other stuff... I will try this after I finish the ones I have... I have 4 more of 6 oz jars in the fridge... but its mostly hwc... but I guess maybe the whole milk? the carbs on one jar is only 4 and 47 grams of fat??? Do you think that could be it? How were your blood ketones effected or were they?
Closed Thread