Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Lazy is the watchword here.
Obviously spending way to much time on line! It's an indulgence.
Other exciting tasks await -- read a bit of a mystery, maybe water outside, pull a few weeds, think about taking my little dog for a walk. Find a few articles of clothing or shoes to add to my goodwill collection.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Lazy is the watchword here.
Obviously spending way to much time on line! It's an indulgence.
Other exciting tasks await -- read a bit of a mystery, maybe water outside, pull a few weeds, think about taking my little dog for a walk. Find a few articles of clothing or shoes to add to my goodwill collection.
Bella STOOOOOOOOOP! That is FAR too much excitement in one day! Kathy
Old 07-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

You are right, I am really over-reaching.
Nap, maybe?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You are right, I am really over-reaching.
Nap, maybe?
LOL, WAY better!
Kathy
Old 07-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
Boy do I understand THAT! You got any good recipes for Clam Chowder? I just figured one up and it only came to like 75% fat, which I thought was low for cream, cream cheese, butter and bacon!

Kathy
Couldn't you just cook the clams in butter and cream and add seasoning? You could add bacon also. Bacon is really not very high fat, so I wouldn't add too much. It really sounds like your recipe is very high fat. Maybe the clams are lowering the mix. You could add fewer clams or more butter.
Carolyn
Old 07-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
Couldn't you just cook the clams in butter and cream and add seasoning? You could add bacon also. Bacon is really not very high fat, so I wouldn't add too much. It really sounds like your recipe is very high fat. Maybe the clams are lowering the mix. You could add fewer clams or more butter.
Carolyn
Thanks Carolyn! I'll do some version of it! Kathy
Old 07-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
I think we should plan a date and all do a big steak and wine- purely as a scientific experiment mind you to see the impact it has on our different bodies! Anyone in??? Kathy
UMMM yes... LOL My favorite wine is in the fridge right now..
Old 07-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Hi all,

Been laying low lately. Not much to report as TOM is playing tricks on me and is a day or so late. In the meantime I am so bloated and crampy I have gone from 111.3kg to 112.1kg overnight so ignoring scales for next few days. Pee sticks still show me at 4-6 ketosis wise.

Lat night I had a shot of tanquery gin with diet tonic. I usually don't like diet tonic but it hit the spot.

I love cauliflower and, as it is in season her at the moment, have been eating a lot of it - soup, cauliflower rice , baked with blue cheese sauce (yummmm). I haven't tried mashed yet but perhaps tonight. We are having hot continental sausages (links) from our local butcher. Cauliflower mash would be a great accompaniment.

I tried the recipe for English muffins from elsewhere on the forum. Theywere really great. I recommend them

Hope you all had a good 4th of July.

Take care x
Old 07-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Thanks Carolyn! I'll do some version of it! Kathy

You are welcome. I am glad that I could help in some small way.
Carolyn
Old 07-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Ooooo...excited!!! I just got a delivery of goodies from an online low carb supplier here in Australia. ( I tried to get an order from Netrition but the postage was $55 for four items so I passed it's a shame because they have good stuff...)

Anyhoo, this place has things not available anywhere else in Australia. I got some Davinci vanilla syrup, two lots of swerve and some Now Stevia glycerite. I pay a lot more than you guys (syrup was $20) but I wanted to try them. I don't think I will keep using it long term as it is sweetened with Splenda, which I'm not a fan of, but I have always wondered what people are raving about

I'm keen to try Swerve. It was $15 for 8oz (226gms) so not something I will use in everyday baking.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post
Ooooo...excited!!! I just got a delivery of goodies from an online low carb supplier here in Australia. ( I tried to get an order from Netrition but the postage was $55 for four items so I passed it's a shame because they have good stuff...)

Anyhoo, this place has things not available anywhere else in Australia. I got some Davinci vanilla syrup, two lots of swerve and some Now Stevia glycerite. I pay a lot more than you guys (syrup was $20) but I wanted to try them. I don't think I will keep using it long term as it is sweetened with Splenda, which I'm not a fan of, but I have always wondered what people are raving about

I'm keen to try Swerve. It was $15 for 8oz (226gms) so not something I will use in everyday baking.
Let us know what you think of the Swerve, I have not tried it either! Kathy
Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
I survived the 4th and had a great time with my friends and family. And I ate dessert and am alive to tell about it.

I don't feel horrible, sick or bloated and my weight didn't change. So my guess is that the small dessert, while raising my carbs for the day, didn't totally knock me off my feet, because the choice was the dessert, not an entire day free for all.

And for that, I'm quite pleased.

Now back to work and to my chosen WOE.

My weight has held steady at 153 for the past 5 days (saw 152 last week) so that means I'm ready for a whoosh. I just need to be "tight" for the next 2 days, I hope that's all it is.

I'm excited to get my ketone strips, tomorrow or Monday, and start tracking that too. The plan is to NOT track my macros unless/until I need to.

I'm at the point where I know how to eat 20-30 gram of carbs, and my 60-80 grams of protein means only small portions at each meal and the rest comes from my other foods.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
I survived the 4th and had a great time with my friends and family. And I ate dessert and am alive to tell about it.

I don't feel horrible, sick or bloated and my weight didn't change. So my guess is that the small dessert, while raising my carbs for the day, didn't totally knock me off my feet, because the choice was the dessert, not an entire day free for all.

And for that, I'm quite pleased.

Now back to work and to my chosen WOE.

My weight has held steady at 153 for the past 5 days (saw 152 last week) so that means I'm ready for a whoosh. I just need to be "tight" for the next 2 days, I hope that's all it is.

I'm excited to get my ketone strips, tomorrow or Monday, and start tracking that too. The plan is to NOT track my macros unless/until I need to.

I'm at the point where I know how to eat 20-30 gram of carbs, and my 60-80 grams of protein means only small portions at each meal and the rest comes from my other foods.

Check in when they come Annette! Kathy
Old 07-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

I wish I had come through unscathed... today, strict and tight!! I have not measured blood or urine ketones... will wait at least 2 days for urine, 3 days for blood and see how things are going and get my butt back in the mode!!

I was not horrid with diet but definitely not where I should have been, but I will be back!!

Hot Potato, I like the SF syrups... I like to put the white chocolate in an iced coffee with cream!! Yum! Throw in a tbsp of cocoa with it, even better!!

Annette, definitely let us know how your testing goes!!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Whoop whoop, the ketone test strips arrived (I ordered the ones for the Novamax) today, and yesterday the other meter arrived. So I guess if I do this longer than the 30 strips I have currently, I'll order for the Precision Xtra strips.

So......of course I had to test, silly silly me. I've had company all week and though I've been as careful as I could be, it's still not the same as always eating your own food.

When I tested a week ago I had 1.4 and 1.5 (two different mornings.) This morning I had "lo." Boo hoo.

My plan is to start a journal here and track and ramble away. I'll add the link to my signature once I've begun.

I'm also going to take measurements tomorrow, and probably almost nekkid photos.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
subbing
Old 07-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Whoop whoop, the ketone test strips arrived (I ordered the ones for the Novamax) today, and yesterday the other meter arrived. So I guess if I do this longer than the 30 strips I have currently, I'll order for the Precision Xtra strips.

So......of course I had to test, silly silly me. I've had company all week and though I've been as careful as I could be, it's still not the same as always eating your own food.

When I tested a week ago I had 1.4 and 1.5 (two different mornings.) This morning I had "lo." Boo hoo.

My plan is to start a journal here and track and ramble away. I'll add the link to my signature once I've begun.

I'm also going to take measurements tomorrow, and probably almost nekkid photos.
Know the feeling Annette. I am not testing for several more days at least until I am sure I am fully back into ketosis so I am not wasting my strips!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Hi all,

Sorry I haven't checked in since the once on the June thread!

I've been having some trouble getting going. I have some issues...hypothyroid and likely menopause. It's messing with me. I am grumpy, hot/cold, depressed, grumpy, hungry, did I mention grumpy? Makes you just want to eat a donut. Not that I have, but you get the idea.

Anyways, DH and I have done a lot of talking and he is pretty frustrated too. He's been diagnosed with high blood pressure and is now supposed to be on 2 meds for cholesterol and triglycerides. I don't want him on these statins! He also suffers with blood sugar crashes but does not have hypoglycemia. He gets a crash mid afternoon and the only thing that seems to solve it is some sugar.

I have convinced him to do Atkins with me! Well, I am doing NK and he will do Atkins. I am convinced if I get most of the carbs from his diet he will lose weight and therefore improve his blood pressure, triglycerides and blood sugar.

So I'm super excited to have hin on my team!! I will also reduce the carbs my dd eats since she's 13 and taking after me. I want her to learn healthy habits now and knowing about carbs and how to make better choices is a good start.

No more rambling. Have a GREAT week everyone!

6/22/13 restart of NK

Last edited by amlyjo; 07-07-2013 at 11:17 AM..
Old 07-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post
Hi all,

Sorry I haven't checked in since the once on the June thread!

I've been having some trouble getting going. I have some issues...hypothyroid and likely menopause. It's messing with me. I am grumpy, hot/cold, depressed, grumpy, hungry, did I mention grumpy? Makes you just want to eat a donut. Not that I have, but you get the idea.

Anyways, DH and I have done a lot of talking and he is pretty frustrated too. He's been diagnosed with high blood pressure and is now supposed to be on 2 meds for cholesterol and triglycerides. I don't want him on these statins! He also suffers with blood sugar crashes but does not have hypoglycemia. He gets a crash mid afternoon and the only thing that seems to solve it is some sugar.

I have convinced him to do Atkins with me! Well, I am doing NK and he will do Atkins. I am convinced if I get most of the carbs from his diet he will lose weight and therefore improve his blood pressure, triglycerides and blood sugar.

So I'm super excited to have hin on my team!! I will also reduce the carbs my dd eats since she's 13 and taking after me. I want her to learn healthy habits now and knowing about carbs and how to make better choices is a good start.

No more rambling. Have a GREAT week everyone!
I am glad you have taken on some recruits! It will make life easier and more enjoyable having company!
Kathy
Old 07-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

TOTALLY in the name of science did I drink 8 ounces of wine last night when we went to a friends house for dinner! Not ONLY did it NOT knock me out of ketosis, but the scale went DOWN! Guess who is getting ready to have another 8 ounces tonight!
Kathy
Old 07-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
TOTALLY in the name of science did I drink 8 ounces of wine last night when we went to a friends house for dinner! Not ONLY did it NOT knock me out of ketosis, but the scale went DOWN! Guess who is getting ready to have another 8 ounces tonight!
Kathy
I cannot figure what out what I am doing wrong. I cannot get back into ketosis, pretty sure I am eating the same foods... boo!!! getting frustrated!!
Old 07-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Kathy
Also, yeah you for not being kicked out! Lucky girl!! Bring on the wine!!
Old 07-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
I cannot figure what out what I am doing wrong. I cannot get back into ketosis, pretty sure I am eating the same foods... boo!!! getting frustrated!!
Why don't you post your food diary and we will all give it a whirl? That is just WRONG! Kathy
Old 07-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Also, yeah you for not being kicked out! Lucky girl!! Bring on the wine!!
Amen Sister!
Kathy
Old 07-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Why don't you post your food diary and we will all give it a whirl? That is just WRONG! Kathy
Well today, oopsie french toast (oopsie rolls with hwc/egg yolk/cinnamon...

lunch was a small salad with avocado, and a oopsie turkey/mayo sandwich

dinner, peanut butter fluff

yesterday,
HF milkshake
oopsie turkey with mayo/avocado, and a few salami with CC
PB fluff for dinner and
Cheesecake for dessert...
Old 07-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Three days in a row I've measured "Lo." Hopefully I see a number soon. My weight has stayed the same for a full week now, that is insane. At the same time, it's not gone up.

I'm just going to try to pull those carbs in a tiny bit more, max out at 20g, keep the protein at 60-80g, get myself back into full ketosis.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well today, oopsie french toast (oopsie rolls with hwc/egg yolk/cinnamon...

lunch was a small salad with avocado, and a oopsie turkey/mayo sandwich

dinner, peanut butter fluff

yesterday,
HF milkshake
oopsie turkey with mayo/avocado, and a few salami with CC
PB fluff for dinner and
Cheesecake for dessert...
Okay, so this makes no sense! You doing blood glucose Cathy?
Kathy
Old 07-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

catjrow, I am a newbie here, so not really evaluating your diet, just trying to pick up some tips.
I am curious about the ingredients of your milkshake and your PB fluff, wondering about the carb counts. What is CC? If cheesecake, twice in a day might be accounting for some extra carbs?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Okay, so this makes no sense! You doing blood glucose Cathy?
Kathy
Kathy, I am not checking it right now, as I am pretty sure if I am not in urine ketosis, I wont be in Blood ketosis, and I dont want to waste my strips.

Last night I ate french fries I was so mad... so I will start fresh again today, start testing urine again in a few days and then blood if i make it through those... very frustrating though! and weight is still up from TOM and not back down, feeling like water retention... grrr..
Quote:
catjrow, I am a newbie here, so not really evaluating your diet, just trying to pick up some tips.
I am curious about the ingredients of your milkshake and your PB fluff, wondering about the carb counts. What is CC? If cheesecake, twice in a day might be accounting for some extra carbs?
Bella, cc is cream cheese..hwc is heavy whipping cream, PB is peanut butter. you can find the recipes for both in the June NK thread, I had posted them last month for Kathy and such ....
Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #90
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Hi everyone, I've checked in a couple of times here, lurked and unlurked I'm a teacher so now that school and summer school is over, I'm seriously on the NK business. Summer is a good time for me to establish new habits and get myself going without work/commute/ obligations distractions.

I started 3 days ago with a written plan and have been keeping track of my food intake online on *********. Even though the goal is to eat 80/15/5, I've been managing in the 73/22/5 range at around 1800/2000 calories. Looking for new ways to correct the fat/protein ratio.

I'm also tracking calories because my goal is to stay below 2,000 which should be fine for someone weighing over 300 lbs I'm not into calorie restriction and cannot sustain it for long periods of time. However, keeping track of calories helps me be more realistic about normal portion sizes - both my DH and DS are over 6'4" (both slim) and I seem to forget that a 5'6" woman like me should not be consuming the same amounts of food as big, tall guys.

Looking forward to spending more time on this thread and keeping NK on the forefront of my mind. Does anyone have any interesting NK links that they would share, I'm very interested in the science behind it.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 07-08-2013 at 08:02 AM..
Closed Thread