Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #331
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Today had 1 yolk +3 whites. Have been hungry all morning. and I am only 3 hours past breakfast.
Thanks for testing it out, Cici!

I had been just doing the yolks after trying to raise fat and lower protein, and it worked so I didn't mess it.

Another favorite lunch of mine is hard boiled yolks, mayo, mustard and a little pickle juice. Or just eating the filling of a deviled egg, Yum!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #332
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
It was a good test.

Today 1 yolk, 3 whites plus veggies and cheese. Much more satisfhing. Will probably be fine until lunch.

I do find veggies give me the bulk and crunch I need. Do you all include them?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #333
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
I don't, yet. I'm doing between 0 and 5 carbs for now. I will add veggies back, once I get a handle on my body, and fully repair my metabolism. I use supplements for the proper nutrients & vitamins.

I stick with yolks and butter for breakfast and bulletproof coffee, and until I'm either bored, or it's not working, that will be my go to breakfast. I do much better when I keep my options limited. Aside from the occasional lobster and fresh drawn butter, YUM!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #334
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Back to being strict. I'm seeing creep in my numbers, both scale and fasting. I'm holding off on ketones for a few days at least.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #335
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Has anyone else found that their resting heart rate went up during induction/ketosis? Mine is into "over-training" territory and so I'm going to take a rest day, but my BP is up a little too and I wonder if this happens to people during the period of adaptation...?

Thanks,
Martha
Old 07-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #336
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Back to being strict. I'm seeing creep in my numbers, both scale and fasting. I'm holding off on ketones for a few days at least.
Annette, know the feeling. Not sure but pretty sure still not back in NK, 10 days to trip.. Just trying to minimize damage and still keep those carbs at bay. I think I am close.... but I had a few bites of froyo with hot fudge last night so still not going to try testing today. TOM is in town and always crave horrible chocolate!

Kathy should be back today I think too! Missing our little chatty group!!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #337
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
It was a good test.

Today 1 yolk, 3 whites plus veggies and cheese. Much more satisfhing. Will probably be fine until lunch.

I do find veggies give me the bulk and crunch I need. Do you all include them?
I usually do not eat many veggies, but when I do, I like to eat them early in the day. That minimizes the problems with the carbs in them. I really like veggies, but when I eat too many, they keep me from losing.
Carolyn
Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #338
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Annette, know the feeling. Not sure but pretty sure still not back in NK, 10 days to trip.. Just trying to minimize damage and still keep those carbs at bay. I think I am close.... but I had a few bites of froyo with hot fudge last night so still not going to try testing today. TOM is in town and always crave horrible chocolate!

Kathy should be back today I think too! Missing our little chatty group!!
I is here! :-) Somehow I keep getting dropped and then realize I haven't seen anything in a couple days!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #339
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Has anyone else found that their resting heart rate went up during induction/ketosis? Mine is into "over-training" territory and so I'm going to take a rest day, but my BP is up a little too and I wonder if this happens to people during the period of adaptation...?

Thanks,
Martha
Martha, are you on any meds? I did have some issues with heart rate about 6 months in....not sure how long it had been going on? I believe my b.p. meds were inappropriate (over medicated) and weaned off all of them. I have had very good b.p and heart rate since then.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #340
Senior LCF Member

I'm on BP meds and that's all. Dosage was cut in half months ago and numbers have been very good but a little higher lately. I am hoping/planning to go another five days with <20 net carbs and then start adding them back, but I feel pretty punk, to tell you the truth. Dopey and tired. And I tried tofu in a smoothie today and it was so awful I couldn't choke down the last bit. Hate to waste a meal on a failed experiment! I'll never do that again!

Martha
Old 07-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #341
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm on BP meds and that's all. Dosage was cut in half months ago and numbers have been very good but a little higher lately. I am hoping/planning to go another five days with <20 net carbs and then start adding them back, but I feel pretty punk, to tell you the truth. Dopey and tired. And I tried tofu in a smoothie today and it was so awful I couldn't choke down the last bit. Hate to waste a meal on a failed experiment! I'll never do that again!

Martha
Soy is bad for you. I would eliminate it from my diet if I were you. It is really poison to the body.
Carolyn
Old 07-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #342
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
Soy is bad for you. I would eliminate it from my diet if I were you. It is really poison to the body.
Carolyn
You know, I have heard that, and I've tried to track down what the problem is supposed to be but haven't found a good explanation. It's a food that has been around for a long time and is a part of a lot of culinary traditions, so I tend to give it the benefit of the doubt. What have you read?
Old 07-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #343
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You know, I have heard that, and I've tried to track down what the problem is supposed to be but haven't found a good explanation. It's a food that has been around for a long time and is a part of a lot of culinary traditions, so I tend to give it the benefit of the doubt. What have you read?

The Chinese mostly used it to replenish their soil. They only ate it if it was fermented and only in small amounts. If you feed it to animals in too large amount, they will get sick and die. In Illinois (I think that was the state) they took the meat out of the prisons and replaced it with soy to save money. There were a lot of prisoners who got very sick and many of them had to have parts of their intestines removed. That was just recently. Soy prevents the body from absorbing protein. It also adds estrogen to the body which is unhealthy. For men, it can make them lose their labedo. There are a lot of other negative things about soy. Just look it up on the internet.
Carolyn

Last edited by lovetoknit; 07-30-2013 at 04:34 PM..
Old 07-31-2013, 03:58 AM   #344
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I think you can overstate the dangers of soy. I eat very little by choice, but I know lots and lots of people who eat soy everyday and are very healthy. I can't see that soy is killing Japanese people who eat lots of soy. Some but not all of it is fermented.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #345
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Good morning everyone.

I was a bit disappointed this morning to see the scale up yet again. It is what is is. But I just now put my slacks on for work and they are so darn loose.

I must be in for a whoosh soon.

It might just show up tomorrow as today I am so lucky....I go for a root canal, and probably won't be eating much in the way of dinner. This is my first, but I also work in a dentist office and everyone else seems to survive this ordeal.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:48 AM   #346
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Good luck with the dentistry.

I've got some deviled eggs ready for thfe day.. Waiting for the rain to stop to take a walk.

Regarding the soy and all the other food we are supposed to fear, IMHO, moderation is the key. No one food is supposdd to be eaten at every meal. Overeating anything is toxic.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #347
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
Good morning everyone.

I was a bit disappointed this morning to see the scale up yet again. It is what is is. But I just now put my slacks on for work and they are so darn loose.

It might just show up tomorrow as today I am so lucky....I go for a root canal, and probably won't be eating much in the way of dinner. This is my first, but I also work in a dentist office and everyone else seems to survive this ordeal.
Good luck with the root canal and crossing fingers for your swoosh tomorrow!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #348
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I think you can overstate the dangers of soy. I eat very little by choice, but I know lots and lots of people who eat soy everyday and are very healthy. I can't see that soy is killing Japanese people who eat lots of soy. Some but not all of it is fermented.
Ok. You can of course eat what you want. Don't say that you weren't warned.
Carolyn
Old 07-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #349
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karai
Stats: 262/151/140
WOE: BFC-raw eating
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Good morning everyone.

Annette, stay encouraged. The whoosh fairy is on her way. Your loose slacks are definitely a good sign.

Karai
Old 07-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #350
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karai
Stats: 262/151/140
WOE: BFC-raw eating
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:

Martha
Martha, did your doctor gradually reduce the dosage of BP meds over time? I am curious b/c my DH is on a BP med, but since we've been doing LC, his numbers are very close to 'normal' for him. I wondered how the doctor would go about reducing his med.

Karai
Old 07-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #351
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karai View Post
Martha, did your doctor gradually reduce the dosage of BP meds over time? I am curious b/c my DH is on a BP med, but since we've been doing LC, his numbers are very close to 'normal' for him. I wondered how the doctor would go about reducing his med.

Karai
My doctor cut the dosage in half once, when my BP started going too low and I got dizzy. (I called him on the phone -- I've had this hypertension thing for a lot of years and have a monitor at home.) Now my numbers are right at normal most of the time.

If your DH's numbers are getting close to normal, I would think that that would mean BP is better controlled now and meds would stay the same, but hey, I am not a doctor. Good luck with this.

Martha
Old 07-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #352
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elleng
Stats: 230/155/140
WOE: atkins/nk
Start Date: atkins:3/2010 NK 4/22/13
Hi all. Been doing NK for about 2 months now, and have lost about 6 lbs. Hardest thing for me is keeping the protein down to 75-80g. I use an online calorie counter to keep track of my numbers. It calculates the protein in sour cream, mayo and heavy cream, and bacon, making it really hard for me to do fat bombs and adding fat without bringing up my protein totals. Do you include those amounts when calculating your macros?
Thanks for any help!
Ellen
Old 07-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #353
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleng View Post
Hi all. Been doing NK for about 2 months now, and have lost about 6 lbs. Hardest thing for me is keeping the protein down to 75-80g. I use an online calorie counter to keep track of my numbers. It calculates the protein in sour cream, mayo and heavy cream, and bacon, making it really hard for me to do fat bombs and adding fat without bringing up my protein totals. Do you include those amounts when calculating your macros?
Thanks for any help!
Ellen
How many fat bombs do you eat a day? Butter and coconut oil do not have any protein. I use that for my fat bombs. But I do not eat a lot of those. You really get most of your fat in your meat, fish, cheese, and eggs. I don't eat a lot of sour cream or mayo, so they do not add up to much. I eat less than 60 grams of protein a day. Do you just have a few pounds to lose? If not and you only lost 6 pounds in two months, you may be eating too much food.
Carolyn
Old 07-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #354
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elleng
Stats: 230/155/140
WOE: atkins/nk
Start Date: atkins:3/2010 NK 4/22/13
Love to knit--thanks for the reply. Too much food in calories? I try to keep that within 15-1800. The hardest for me is the protein, and it can vary between 60-90g. Love mayo, so use that alot--salad dressing, a dip for my chicken. Don't have fat bombs often, but do use cream in my coffee and eggs. Just getting frustrated here! Calories matter/they don't matter. Carbs are always low-15g or less. Am in ketosis--a whopping .7 (in am)! I've lost with atkins 75lbs and I'm an incredibly slow loser--took 3 years to do--and have honestly stayed clean 99% of that time. Started to go off induction and wasn't happy with the increased hunger when starting up the carb rung and found NK.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #355
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleng View Post
Love to knit--thanks for the reply. Too much food in calories? I try to keep that within 15-1800. The hardest for me is the protein, and it can vary between 60-90g. Love mayo, so use that alot--salad dressing, a dip for my chicken. Don't have fat bombs often, but do use cream in my coffee and eggs. Just getting frustrated here! Calories matter/they don't matter. Carbs are always low-15g or less. Am in ketosis--a whopping .7 (in am)! I've lost with atkins 75lbs and I'm an incredibly slow loser--took 3 years to do--and have honestly stayed clean 99% of that time. Started to go off induction and wasn't happy with the increased hunger when starting up the carb rung and found NK.
So you have already lost 75 pounds. That explains the slow loss. Our bodies start to fight back when we lose a lot of weight. Just hang in there. You will lose the weight. It will just take time. As far as calories counting, they do and they don't. Some things make me gain that are very low calorie. Foods like fat does not affect my weight. In fact it actually helps my weight loss. If I eat even a small amount of fruit, I gain. To many sweeteners and I don't lose and I may even gain. Even too much spinach, and I gain. I do make sure that I get at least 1200 calories a day, because I do not want to quit losing all together because my body is not getting enough energy. Most days I eat more than that, mostly in fat. Some days I am just not that hungry, so I keep it about that level. If I am a little low for the day, I will add some coconut oil in my peppermint tea. I am sure you are doing everything right. Just don't give up. My husband and I always say, "The body just does not want to give it up."
Carolyn
Closed Thread