Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I would guess that M&E is meat and eggs.
Thanks Bella!!! Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Truer words never spoken

"I know they say not to worry about calories, but I'm not buying it at this point. If I eat what I burn, even with the ketosis, the scale doesn't move. It doesn't go up, but just sits there."

I agree with you, Annette. I have been tracking calories in and out since March, and the correlation with weight loss is too close to be accidental. Good luck with the long stall. I wish I were cool enough to not go crazy when that happens, but I. Am. Not.

Martha
Old 07-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Yes, meat & eggs. It's like home base for me.

Glad you got your numbers Aussie. I know each of us our different, and what works for one must be tweaked a bit for another, but that seems to be my sweet spot.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Breakfast experiment went pretty well, I made it till about 12:30 and then I ate cheese, 3 slices (~66 g). Got home just after 2:00 and feeling a little weird in the head, eyes not focusing exactly, feel like I need food. Made some decaf with 1T CO and 2T HWC, will wait and see if that works and sends ketones to my brain because my brain needs it right now...lol.

I'm not hungry as much as I feel like I need energy.

Tomorrow is my day off, and Friday is only a half day at work (no patients) so I can attempt to keep up with my low-cal, high fat...guess it's my modified fat fast...makes sense.

Sure would be nice to see a few pounds slip slide and go away.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aussie Witch
Stats: 173/171/140
WOE: Done it all/ Found NK-HF/MP/LC
Start Date: July 2013
Kathy

What is your Fat Fast? Does it work? duh, guess you wouldn't do it if it didn't, lol
Old 07-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #306
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Witch View Post
Kathy

What is your Fat Fast? Does it work? duh, guess you wouldn't do it if it didn't, lol
Sydney I use a ton of ideas mostly that I have gathered over the years. The new ebook that Dana Capender and Jimmy Moore did is a good source too. I do lose but it is NOT fun! I will look and see if I can get to my list and post it for you! Kathy
Old 07-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Do you gain the weight right back after going back to regular eating or is the weight gone, gone, gone. lol
Old 07-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #308
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Do you gain the weight right back after going back to regular eating or is the weight gone, gone, gone. lol
I have to be careful when I go off but the weight I have lost I have kept off!!!
I am not at home until Saturday and if you remind me I will send my list!!
Vacationing with our 3 kids, their spouses and our 7 grand kids 10 to 8 weeks!
Kathy
Old 07-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
Mostly you eat like 1000 calories all day on a fat fast, using things like cream cheese, heavy whipping cream,macadamia nuts (some people eat 1 oz 5 times a day for the 1000 calories). You can use things like sour cream, hard cheeses, etc. Usually 3-5 days depending. But yes, if you add back in carbs, the weight will come back up (too many carbs that is). Its a great stall breaker! Try to keep your fat 85-90% during a fat fast
Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #310
Senior LCF Member

Okay - don't think I'll be doing that till I have to! Anyway my main issue is the almighty calorie. I don't care what I do or what kind of diet - the calories go up - the scales go up. I can lose on any diet - problem is I can't maintain for more than 3 days and it's Hello Mr Donut! and I don't mean 1 or 2. This diet has lasted 3 weeks without a cheat - I can't believe it - and all my cravings are gone as well as my skin is noticeable smoother and no more dryness. I think I feel better in general too.

"Everything will be okay in the end ... If it's not okay, it's not the end."
Old 07-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Just poking my head in to say hello

Been absent for a while...just busy with other stuff. Started a blog with my recipes which has taken my spare time. Still sticking to plan. Just under 8kgs lost now, but I seem to have stalled for the past week or so (the same kilo up and down ) I'm a daily weigher so I looked over my notes and it could be cyclical. (Please, let it be cyclical )

I guess I will just have to watch and see. If it is a proper stall, I will just have to make some adjustments maybe even start some exercise

I hope you are all well. I have to read back through posts to see where everyone is! In the meantime, take care and eat fat
Old 07-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

Also, got my MCT oil yesterday and drinking my first shake with a tbsp of that in there. 100 calories! sheesh! I hope it helps!! LOL
Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #313
Senior LCF Member

I do shakes for breakfast - what kind or concoction is advised by you all. I use a grassfed whey - 1 carb and add almond milk, coconut milk, HWC, 1c spinach. Really good and lasts me hours. Also lots of variables to tailor it to my numbers if necessary.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I do shakes for breakfast - what kind or concoction is advised by you all. I use a grassfed whey - 1 carb and add almond milk, coconut milk, HWC, 1c spinach. Really good and lasts me hours. Also lots of variables to tailor it to my numbers if necessary.
I do a high fat shake...
1/4 cup hwc
1/4 cup water
1 oz of cream cheese
vanilla extract
crushed ice
1 tbsp of cocoa powder

Now I also add 1 tbsp of MCT oil this morning to add for more fat...
Old 07-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #315
Senior LCF Member

You reminded me, Aussie, I need to make some almond milk...

By the way, it looks like I finally, after five months (exactly, as of today) of slimming, am enjoying the benefits of ketosis. Felt a little crappy for a day or two, then suddenly the weight just fell off. And this is for a 58 year old woman who had already lost more than 15% of her body weight! I didn't think it was even possible for me to get the "big loss" at this point. But over about ten days in the low twenties/high teens net carbs, I've lost another 4 pounds! Wow! What a great tool to have in the bag, now that I understand how this works and have managed to drag my stubborn old-hippie self around to a set of ideas that used to just sound insane to me... I also am taking a very little bit of coconut oil in the afternoons with a cup of coffee and cream, and I guess that might be helping, too. I tried being a little more lavish with it, but past a certain point a lot of fat upsets my stomach. So I dialed back a little. Thanks for the lessons, everybody.

Martha
Old 07-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Martha

That is amazing! Congrats. Feels good after 5 long months, huh?
What's your intake of calories, fat and protein?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Right now, it's about 1100 or 1200 calories, 65 to 70% fat, 20 to 25% protein (my target is 67 grams, but don't mind if it's only in the 50s), and then whatever the carbs come out to be, 10 or 12% or less. I try to get as much of that in the form of foundation vegetables as I can (referring to the newest Atkins book), but I usually miss it by two or three grams. I could not be happier with the way things have gone, though I sort of wish I had figured this induction business out at the beginning. It just took such a radical re-thinking of a "good" diet and took away so many things I loved that I just had to sort of get there inch by inch. Sugar was not really an issue, I had pretty much given that up a long time ago, but fruit was another story ENTIRELY.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #318
Senior LCF Member

PS, Aussie, I love your signature line. I may have to steal that.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:50 AM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
You reminded me, Aussie, I need to make some almond milk...

By the way, it looks like I finally, after five months (exactly, as of today) of slimming, am enjoying the benefits of ketosis. Felt a little crappy for a day or two, then suddenly the weight just fell off. And this is for a 58 year old woman who had already lost more than 15% of her body weight! I didn't think it was even possible for me to get the "big loss" at this point. But over about ten days in the low twenties/high teens net carbs, I've lost another 4 pounds! Wow! What a great tool to have in the bag, now that I understand how this works and have managed to drag my stubborn old-hippie self around to a set of ideas that used to just sound insane to me... I also am taking a very little bit of coconut oil in the afternoons with a cup of coffee and cream, and I guess that might be helping, too. I tried being a little more lavish with it, but past a certain point a lot of fat upsets my stomach. So I dialed back a little. Thanks for the lessons, everybody.

Martha
Martha, you have had wonderful results with your weight loss. I've never made almond milk, now I wonder if I should give it a try.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karai
Stats: 262/148/140
WOE: BFC-raw eating
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
I do a high fat shake...
1/4 cup hwc
1/4 cup water
1 oz of cream cheese
vanilla extract
crushed ice
1 tbsp of cocoa powder

Now I also add 1 tbsp of MCT oil this morning to add for more fat...
I like shakes also...egg protein/UNSW almond milk, coconut milk, flax oil,
water. If I do a shake for breakfast, I am not physically hungry until about 5 hours later.

Just bought the MCT oil..waiting to receive it tho'.

I never thought about adding spinach to my shake...something to consider.

Karai
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Karai

My shakes take me about 4-5 hrs too. I'm wondering about the egg protein you mentioned. That may be better than whey. How does it taste? I like the whey because it's smooth. I tried the veg powder - same carbs but it was powdery? (Is that a word?) But I'd like to stick with animal protein. By the way, you can't even taste the spinach. I put in 1 -2 cups depending on the day and what other veggies I've got on the menu. I do not like vegetables for breakfast - so it's a way to get some in if I need to - I do believe that vegetables are important in one's diet -just not too many d/t carbs. I also use kale, leaf lettuce or butter lettuce. Sometimes if I want a little something at night, I'll fix a fat shake without the protein powder and add a little greens. Just like having a milk shake.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #322
Major LCF Poster!

I would love to put in the protein, but I cannot spare it usually, so just do the high fat without the protein to keep the protein down!!

So I am about 4 days into trying to get back in ketosis. still showing as LO in the morning on the ketone strips, and intermittently showing in ketosis on the urine ones... Hopefully a few more days and I will have it, just in time for my trip...

How is everyone, Kathy, Kathy, Annette?? The newbies to the group?

Just went on a bike ride with my son, since our power was off for an hour for the city to work on some lines... and so we rode to IHOP and he had breakfast, I had coffee and 2 slices of bacon! LOL Then we rode home again, nice little exercise on my non-exercise day!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #323
Senior LCF Member

It must be really hard to stay on plan when you have a family that eats on a different agenda entirely. (I'm talking to catjrow.) Since I shop and cook for an audience of one (plus the friends who listen to me chit-chatting about shopping and cooking) I have complete freedom and it's much easier to keep it between the lines, as an old friend of mine used to sing.

Annette, thanks for your kind words. I started making almond milk when I still had a small bowl of oatmeal for breakfast every other day. I didn't use up enough regular milk to make it worth buying a quart, but I could make the almond milk in whatever size I wanted. It made a very nice oatmeal, I can't explain what's different exactly about it, but it feels elegant and special to me. So it's a treat. These days I mostly mix it with very spicy tea, add a little vanilla extract, heavy cream, and mint leaves if I have it, and ice. It makes me feel spoiled. I have never tried putting my coconut oil in there because I'm pretty sure it would coagulate from the cold, but during the fall and winter I might try a hot version.

I've enjoyed following your story. Good luck.

Martha
Old 07-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Had the egg yolks again today and like the staying power, aboit 5 hours. Tomorrow will try egg whites to compare.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Had the egg yolks again today and like the staying power, aboit 5 hours. Tomorrow will try egg whites to compare.
Looking forward to your experiment, Cici!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #326
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
I would love to put in the protein, but I cannot spare it usually, so just do the high fat without the protein to keep the protein down!!

So I am about 4 days into trying to get back in ketosis. still showing as LO in the morning on the ketone strips, and intermittently showing in ketosis on the urine ones... Hopefully a few more days and I will have it, just in time for my trip...

How is everyone, Kathy, Kathy, Annette?? The newbies to the group?

Just went on a bike ride with my son, since our power was off for an hour for the city to work on some lines... and so we rode to IHOP and he had breakfast, I had coffee and 2 slices of bacon! LOL Then we rode home again, nice little exercise on my non-exercise day!
This Kathy is good Cathy!!! Headed home tomorrow!!!
Kathy
Old 07-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #327
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
This Kathy is good Cathy!!! Headed home tomorrow!!!
Kathy
Still visiting family yes? Are you having fun??

Martha, yes, its hard with the other food flying around! I also have a daughter hell bent on getting me out to eat constantly. I eat Atkins style alot for that, but its ssooo hard, as I want the yummy carb stuff ... grumble grumble, but I try to stay on task, when I fail, Its 3 to 4 days off on a binge... grrrr..

I stayed strong tonight, and hopefully the scale will be nice tomorrow for it!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

So tested again this morning and still not back into NK... Still reading LO...

Any suggestions for getting back in?? I even have had MCT oil for the last couple of days... (1 tbsp)...
Old 07-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Today had 1 yolk +3 whites. Have been hungry all morning. and I am only 3 hours past breakfast.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #330
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
More fat and less protein. Try eating the whole egg or just the yolks and add a pat of butter!
Closed Thread