Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 05:29 AM   #271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
I agree, restricting is tough, Annette!

I find that if I start the day off with three or four egg yolks cooked in butter and a bulletproof coffee my work is done for me, I have no appetite whatsoever, and can easily make it to dinner without needing to eat. Then I get to have a very satisfying dinner.

Catjrow, I hope you had a good day yesterday!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karai
Stats: 262/151/140
WOE: BFC-raw eating
Start Date: June 2013
Hi April, your stats look so encouraging to me. Did you lose 33 lbs on this WOE since April 2013? I am really encouraged!!!

I am on a modified version of M&E fast, and have been reading about the NK WOE as a my bridge to maintenance. It is so exciting to know that a plan can give such fantastic results.

Karai
Old 07-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Just wondering how Day 1 went, did you make it? I sure hope so.

My weight is holding steady right now, nice ketones most mornings (an odd one here and there, no rhyme or reason.) It would be nice to see a noticeable loss, I probably need to restrict for a good three days, and I really hate restricting.
Annette, I did well yesterday. I did weight training in the morning and I did Turbo Kickboxing at night at the gym. I stayed on track with my eating, I think my fats were like 85% so that was good. I think the calories were around 1400 or a little less. Not checking ketones yet, will wait at least 3 more days for the blood ones. This morning, bacon and eggs and iced coffee with SF syrup and HWC so far... on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
I did thank you. It will take a couple more days to keep the carb monster in check again, but hopefully I will pull through! They are not my friend, carbs, not sure why I give in to them like that. TOM is around the corner, which is never good for me either, if I am going to give in again, it will be those cravings that do it! Trying to stay strong!! LOL

Welcome Karai.... are you in maintenance now?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I'm on Day 4 of switching over to the NK (was eating almost double the protein I should on the formula of 1gm per kilo of ideal weight).

I've been in mild ketosis for months, but by the end of yesterday, I was in deep ketosis based on breath, how I feel, etc.

Also, I noticed that where I normally run between 90-95 on BG, I've dropped to a more consistent 90 so that excess protein was apparently making a difference.

I'm about halfway through this thread and am loving the info!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karai
Stats: 262/151/140
WOE: BFC-raw eating
Start Date: June 2013
Edited...
Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Welcome Karai.... are you in maintenance now?
Hi Catjrow3, thanks for the welcome. No, I started the M&E fast at the latter part of June. I am a long way from maintenance. Just thinking ahead of what WOE can get me there.

Karai

Last edited by Karai; 07-23-2013 at 12:36 PM..
Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Oh, what a great relief, as the long stall ends and all my systems seem to relax and work better. We had a heat wave here and as it passes everything just feels better. I'm really grateful to these forums for providing some company and sympathy during the longish spell with no positive reinforcement from either the scale or the tape.

Martha
Old 07-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karai View Post
Edited...

Hi Catjrow3, thanks for the welcome. No, I started the M&E fast at the latter part of June. I am a long way from maintenance. Just thinking ahead of what WOE can get me there.

Karai
Gotcha, I read maintenance in your post (rather than BRIDGE to maintenance) Eating fat is soo much easier than starving, that I can tell you! Just watch the protein and carbs, and you will sail right along!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
I agree, restricting is tough, Annette!

I find that if I start the day off with three or four egg yolks cooked in butter and a bulletproof coffee my work is done for me, I have no appetite whatsoever, and can easily make it to dinner without needing to eat. Then I get to have a very satisfying dinner.

I'd be tempted to try your plan on a challenge, because I think I would be hungry by 10:30 or 11 (which is when I get hungry no matter what I eat.)

I eat breakfast just after 7 AM (before work) and it almost always consists of 3 large eggs in 1 T of butter and 3-4 T of HWC for coffee.

So what's the reason behind egg yolks vs whole eggs?

How much butter do you cook them in and what quantities of oils/butter/cream/coffee do you use?

My coffee is decaf though as I went off caffeine when I started on Atkins.

I'd love to try your meal and see what it does for me.

~~~~Personally I love my days off then I don't eat breakfast till I'm absolutely hungry, which isn't till 9 or 10 or so. I just have to use my head at work and need something to fuel me. I did try no breakfast one day and it wasn't too bad, but it was almost a bit scary.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karai View Post
Hi April, your stats look so encouraging to me. Did you lose 33 lbs on this WOE since April 2013? I am really encouraged!!!

I am on a modified version of M&E fast, and have been reading about the NK WOE as a my bridge to maintenance. It is so exciting to know that a plan can give such fantastic results.

Karai
I did! In fact today is day 112, and I'm 33 lbs down thanks to the help of these boards and the Volek and Phinney book I feel fantastic. I am really strict, but don't deprive myself at all. I know you can do it, too! The M&E days were great for me. Good luck Karai, I look forward to hearing all about your success!

Catjrow: sounds like you have a good kick start back into ketosis. That's a lot of exercise, good for you!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #280
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'd be tempted to try your plan on a challenge, because I think I would be hungry by 10:30 or 11 (which is when I get hungry no matter what I eat.)

I eat breakfast just after 7 AM (before work) and it almost always consists of 3 large eggs in 1 T of butter and 3-4 T of HWC for coffee.

So what's the reason behind egg yolks vs whole eggs?

How much butter do you cook them in and what quantities of oils/butter/cream/coffee do you use?

My coffee is decaf though as I went off caffeine when I started on Atkins.

I'd love to try your meal and see what it does for me.

~~~~Personally I love my days off then I don't eat breakfast till I'm absolutely hungry, which isn't till 9 or 10 or so. I just have to use my head at work and need something to fuel me. I did try no breakfast one day and it wasn't too bad, but it was almost a bit scary.
I hope it works for you! I never get hungry when I eat that breakfast. But if I cook the whites, I get hungry. Not sure if there's any science to it, I just know that for me, it works.

So, I heat up .5 tsp Kerrygold butter in the pan and drop 3-4 egg yolks in and cook until firm. All the while I blend 10 oz coffee ( I love caffeine) with 1 Tbsp coconut oil and 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream ( no carrageen). I eat around 6:30, then have dinner around 6:30 PM. If I want to eat lunch I do, but never really need to. For dinner I'll eat most of a rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods ( I eat all of the skin first, then the breast meat. or Salmon and sour cream mixed with dill and lemon juice, or...steak, Yum!
Alright, I rambled enough for one night. Hope everyone's having a good night!

P L A N, for Success!

Nothing is impossible, the word tells you itself:

I'm possible.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #281
Senior LCF Member

April, I'll give it a go and post my results tomorrow when I'm home from work. I will plan on bringing something along just in case. I work 8-2 tomorrow, and usually just snack for my lunch.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Great' Annette! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Best of Luck!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Yoga, anyone?

I've been holding off on increasing my exercise, but am anxious to get some more movement in. I've done yoga the past few days and really enjoyed it. Anyone have any experience/advice on adding yoga, or any other exercise to NK?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I've been holding off on increasing my exercise, but am anxious to get some more movement in. I've done yoga the past few days and really enjoyed it. Anyone have any experience/advice on adding yoga, or any other exercise to NK?
My exercise consists of daily walking, dancing 2x/week and some weights. So far when in ketosis I have loads of energy for dancing and walking, though sometimes it takes a while to warm up. Weights still make me feel a bit funky at times.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #285
Senior LCF Member

No rhyme or reason, blood ketones showed up as LO. Could just be the meter.

Kept cals low, had a good deficit, ate great numbers, even hobbled in a walk.

Goal for today. Doing April's breakfast, and later during the day I want to eat little (but keep fat up). I really want to see a scale drop as I'm getting too comfortable at 150. Just suck it up for a few days and have a decent deficit in calories. I know they say not to worry about calories, but I'm not buying it at this point. If I eat what I burn, even with the ketosis, the scale doesn't move. It doesn't go up, but just sits there. So suck it up and diet for a few days at a time...that I can do.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I did April's breakfast this morning. Let the magic befin.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Yoga sounds idea to me, April.
Not that I am doing it now.
I need to find a good class, the teacher makes all the difference for me in yoga. I could do on my own, but I don't.
My opinion and nothing more than that, is to exercise to a comfort level, maybe not too strenuous at first. Give your body time to adjust to this WOE. But I am older now, so wouldn't have taken this advice at all when younger. I used to run, do cardio, weights and all, but when I hit a certain decade, I just pooped out. My goals now are strength, low to moderate cardio, and stretching. I do quite a bit of physical work in my yard, and walking, and that's it for now, although my end of August goal is to up my exercise a bit. Yoga sounds a good move!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #288
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I did April's breakfast this morning. Let the magic befin.
Love it!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I think Exercise is essential to any healthy lifestyle. I love to exercise. Its the food I have problems with. I do high intensity exercise most of the time, but lately have been dialing it down because of a heel pain problem. But I love to get on a good sweat. It does not however, help in my weight loss efforts...
I say do something, whatever you enjoy!!
Quote:
My exercise consists of daily walking, dancing 2x/week and some weights. So far when in ketosis I have loads of energy for dancing and walking, though sometimes it takes a while to warm up. Weights still make me feel a bit funky at times.
Good job Annette!!! The scale is totally not moving for me at all! I have tested once in trace ketosis for urine, but will not still test blood for several days, but not sure I feel like I am in ketosis yet... Ate a little high on calories yesterday, but not horrible, and walked for an hour as well. I was only about 70% fat, and 15/15 carbs/proteins. Could have been a better day overall I guess...
Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #290
Senior LCF Member

I hope the breakfast hits the spot for you too, Cici. It sure is magical for me!

The yoga feels really good, and it's hot so I'm sweating our toxins, I feel like I'm doing more good for my body. I'm always walking/running to keep up with my little girls, their laundry and household chores as well as work. So, my tracker lets me know when I need more stops. But, prior to my cancer I was jogging 3/days a week, and I'd like to get back to being able to do that if I want to, eventually. Just not until my weight is normalized. I would like to be gentle to my body and take great care of it, so it will return the favor.

So, Bella, let me know if you join a yoga class. I can't do it at home either, I think I would just rush through it. I love the experience of going into the studio.

Namaste!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aussie Witch
Stats: 173/171/140
WOE: Done it all/ Found NK-HF/MP/LC
Start Date: July 2013
April - I have been doing a little Rosedale NK for about 3 weeks and have lost maybe 3lbs but haven't really followed all his rules . Also, not sure if my calories are low enough. I see your doing 80/15/5 - how many gms of protein? I'm trying to stay around 55 and feel really good since I've cut them back. Think that's why low carb never worked for me as I always ate so much protein. Anyway, I'd like to set up a meal plan and do the 2 meals a day like you do with maybe a snack or not? I'm at 171 this morning - need to get back to 140 so I'll have some clothes to wear. Thanks

"Everything will be okay in the end ... If it's not okay, it's not the end."

Last edited by Aussie Witch; 07-24-2013 at 08:47 AM..
Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #292
Senior LCF Member

Hi Aussie Witch! Congrats on your 3 lb. loss. I'm looking forward to seeing those 70's soon!

I tried protein a few different ways, but feel best around 75. And my calories waiver between 1000 and 1,400. I try to listen to my body and eat as much as I feel like eating, but the intermittent fasting, ie eating at 6:30 AM and 6:30 PM just fell into place. During the weekends I sometimes eat lunch, if we're out as a family, otherwise I just don't even think to do so. Oh, every so often I get some fresh deviled eggs at our local farmer's market and eat the insides, on of my favorite snacks!

You'll be in those clothes in no time at all. And with this plan it will be painless!
Have a great day!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #293
Senior LCF Member

April

When I put my protein around 70 or so - my fat isn't at 80% without raising my calories so hi I don't lose. I use Spark to calculate everything - it's great - even does the pie graph for %'s. Maybe I'll try again and see if I did something wrong like too many carbs.
Thanks again for your time.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #294
Senior LCF Member

I just redid my keto calculator and it looked like this:

5 g Carbohydrates (1%)
70 g Protein (20%)
122 g Fat (79%)

It had my calories at 1398.

I don't really focus on the numbers anymore, just in the beginning so that I could get in the losing zone. And I keep my options really simple and basic so that I don't get the carb creep. But, a M&E day always brings me back if I'm waivering at all on the scale.

I think getting your protein number down is best, then let everything else fall into place. I still have days where my protein is 50, and days where it's 100 but it hasn't slowed me down, (yet).
Old 07-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #295
Senior LCF Member

So confusing at times - My ideal weight is 130, my lean body weight is 110 - sooo...
Keto calculator says I need 63 gms protein, Kwasniewski says give or take around 64 and Rosedale says 50 gms. So I chose 55-56 right in the middle. I just did my calculations and I'm at 77/17/6 - guess that's close enough. To get closer I'd have to eliminate some carbs maybe and sub with fat. Right? God, I'm an RN with a degree in nutrition and I feel dumber than a nit!!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I just redid my keto calculator and it looked like this:

5 g Carbohydrates (1%)
70 g Protein (20%)
122 g Fat (79%)

It had my calories at 1398.

I don't really focus on the numbers anymore, just in the beginning so that I could get in the losing zone. And I keep my options really simple and basic so that I don't get the carb creep. But, a M&E day always brings me back if I'm waivering at all on the scale.

I think getting your protein number down is best, then let everything else fall into place. I still have days where my protein is 50, and days where it's 100 but it hasn't slowed me down, (yet).
M&E is what please???? Kathy
Old 07-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #297
Senior LCF Member

I got to go back and work on carbs - mine are around 25 total not net. Around 15 net. Too high, I guess. Fat was only around 95, protein at 50 or so - guess I'm back to the drawing board, lol.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Witch View Post
So confusing at times - My ideal weight is 130, my lean body weight is 110 - sooo...
Keto calculator says I need 63 gms protein, Kwasniewski says give or take around 64 and Rosedale says 50 gms. So I chose 55-56 right in the middle. I just did my calculations and I'm at 77/17/6 - guess that's close enough. To get closer I'd have to eliminate some carbs maybe and sub with fat. Right? God, I'm an RN with a degree in nutrition and I feel dumber than a nit!!
LOL!!!! These gals will help you!!!! Kathy
Old 07-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Okay - redid ? (is that a word?) my menu - Buya! I hit 80/15/5 on the nose. And kept calories in my range. Now I'll try that for a few days and see what happens. Thanks and ditto Kathy "what is M&E?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I would guess that M&E is meat and eggs.
Closed Thread