Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
Hoo boy...struggling with fruit right now!

I've been doing NK for about a year now with very good success. Last year I was able to resist most fruits except for a very rare small bowl of blueberries (with HWC of course!).

But boy oh boy, this year isn't going so well! I can't seem to leave the berries alone and my beloved hubby even goes so far as to hide them from me, but I still find them. It's like I'm driven mad by blueberries this year. Unfortunately, they have a very long season here and hubby truly loves them and I don't want to ask him to not keep any in the house.

Of course they knock me out of ketosis.

But what I'm really wondering is if my body is craving something? I keep thinking that I need to tweak something again, but I'm at a loss as to what. I went for a very long time with no cravings at all, now for the past couple months I've been going nuts and the berries are the worst....

Any ideas?
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
How much in the way of blueberries are you eating? Unless you are doing induction level low carbs, in some limited amount they should be ok. What else can you eliminate in trade off for the berries?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I really really don't think that our cravings are a signal our bodies need something. That is a lovely thought, but with all the supplements and enrichment in foods nowadays I don't think we normally get so low on things that we would experience that, even if it were a valid phenomenon. I know they say that when people had no fresh produce all winter long they would crave the earliest spring shoots of bitter weeds. Those were thought a "tonic" because people had become so deficient in Vitamin C and such during the long winters.

If you find they really don't work on your plan, how about you make a pledge not to eat any for three days. You can last three days, right? and see if the craving is broken. Often it's a vicious circle.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
On the days when I cave and eat berries, it's been about 1 cup or even 2 cups (not all at once).

They definitely take me up to about 40-50 carbs a day. The bulk of my "normal" day carbs come from dairy (HWC & a little cheese) and avocado--mostly avocado.

I've tried to balance the carbs, but the cravings are killing me and I wish I could figure out what's going on. To me, extreme cravings mean that my body is wanting something, but I have no clue what that might be. Argh!
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aet2009
Stats: 322.6 sz 24/300.4 sz 24/??? size 10
WOE: HFLC 75f/20p/5c
Start Date: February 2014
Well, I know I seriously, madly crave apples when I'm dehydrated! How weird is that? You'd think I'd just want water. So I do think there may be an underlying need your body is telling you about. Blueberries are highest in K, C, and Manganese...maybe go over your menus and see if you are getting enough? You didn't mention if you take a multivitamin or not. Are you drinking enough? Berries are high in water like apples and like I said I crave apples something fierce when I'm dehydrated.
aet2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
And to be sure, just because we are craving something does not mean we really need the thing we are craving. I might really crave a beer, but giving in to it in the belief that I really need it would not be wise. This belief that we need what we are craving can be a slippery slope. Blueberries are pretty healthy though, lots of antioxidents, but it you are eating to excess I say bump them out of your diet for now.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DressageLover
Stats: 222/168/150, 5'10"
WOE: VLC, A72
Start Date: 1/29/99
My experience with fruit - is that any fruit, no matter how LC it is - causes cravings and makes me want to eat everything in sight. The only way to keep myself free of cravings is to eat super clean. For me, that is meat, eggs, cheese, LC veggies, and for some reason, I can get away with eating Carbolite frozen yogurt. Nuts cause weight gain and cravings for me too. I don't think cravings are a signal the body needs something. In fact, I listened to an episode of Living La Vida Low Carb podcast, and the doctor on there actually said, if you are experiencing cravings, your body is in fat storing mode rather than fat burning mode. Reflecting on my own experiences, I see this is true and it changed my perspective.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
I've been doing NK for about a year now with very good success. Last year I was able to resist most fruits except for a very rare small bowl of blueberries (with HWC of course!).

But boy oh boy, this year isn't going so well! I can't seem to leave the berries alone and my beloved hubby even goes so far as to hide them from me, but I still find them. It's like I'm driven mad by blueberries this year. Unfortunately, they have a very long season here and hubby truly loves them and I don't want to ask him to not keep any in the house.

Of course they knock me out of ketosis.

But what I'm really wondering is if my body is craving something? I keep thinking that I need to tweak something again, but I'm at a loss as to what. I went for a very long time with no cravings at all, now for the past couple months I've been going nuts and the berries are the worst....

Any ideas?
Personally, I do not eat fruit. It makes me hungry. If you don't eat the fruit you will quit craving it.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageLover View Post
My experience with fruit - is that any fruit, no matter how LC it is - causes cravings and makes me want to eat everything in sight. The only way to keep myself free of cravings is to eat super clean. For me, that is meat, eggs, cheese, LC veggies, and for some reason, I can get away with eating Carbolite frozen yogurt. Nuts cause weight gain and cravings for me too. I don't think cravings are a signal the body needs something. In fact, I listened to an episode of Living La Vida Low Carb podcast, and the doctor on there actually said, if you are experiencing cravings, your body is in fat storing mode rather than fat burning mode. Reflecting on my own experiences, I see this is true and it changed my perspective.
I agree with you. If I am craving something, I am eating too much of something. Usually it is too many carbs and too much protein. Even a few nuts keep me from losing, so I also gave them up until I lose all my weight.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote