Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Cream in your coffee...how much?

I am a convert to cream in my coffee (I havent yet taken the plunge to include butter and/or coconut oil!! )

I use double cream and I usually average around 30-60mls in a cup. I have one cup a day. Wondering if this is about right?

How much cream do you put in your coffee?
Hot Potato is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't measure. I just put at enough that it's the right color, which depends on the strength of the coffee. I don't measure most of my food, though.

Try the butter, though, it's delicious. I really like coconut oil too, but that's more of a change to the coffee, and I can see how someone might not like it. Whichever you try, use some sort of frother or blender, or you'll likely be turned off!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
I don't measure either. I probably add about a tablespoon to my coffee. I have 2 or 3 cups of coffee in the morning.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Thanks

I am guessing my amounts are okay, especially as it's only one a day.
Hot Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Felina
Stats: 250/125/120
WOE: Atkins! HCG
Start Date: 7/3/11 Atkins, 12/11/11 hhcg, rxhcg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I don't measure. I just put at enough that it's the right color, which depends on the strength of the coffee. I don't measure most of my food, though.

Try the butter, though, it's delicious. I really like coconut oil too, but that's more of a change to the coffee, and I can see how someone might not like it. Whichever you try, use some sort of frother or blender, or you'll likely be turned off!
How do you use the frothier? Just froth the cream and butter, then add to the coffee? Or do you froth up the coffee/cream/butter mixture together?
Felina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

If I'm feeling lazy, I add it all to the mug and froth until it's all mixed together. It stays mixed.

If I'm doing it the way I prefer, I put the butter or coconut oil into the bottom of the mug, along with the sweetzfree liquid Splenda and HWC. I froth all of it together until it's stiff, then slowly add the coffee or tea as I'm frothing. It ends up like a latte that way, with some froth on top.

Both are good, though.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I measure 1 tbsp. of hwc. I also love the bullet proof coffee and also have 1 tsp. salted butter and 1 tbsp of coconut oil. I just mix it. Tried the frother and it was too messy.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Depends on what I want at that time. Sometimes it's one ounce of decaf coffee and four ounces of cream! I usually drink tea, and sometimes with that, the tea is just "flavoring" and a bit of caffeine and other tea constituents to add to my butter, cream and beef broth.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/201.5/175
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • Restart 04/14
Salted butter in coffee? Ooh, no thank you - I'll stick to the unsalted. Drinking bulletproof coffee has turned me into a connoisseur of butters - I'm up to the organic, cultured butter now. It really does tastes better, but it's not cheap. I try to stick to one cup a day, plus an additional cup with hwc (2 TB at a time). I know Dr. Atkins recommended not having more than 4 TB of heavy cream in a day, but I don't know if that applies with NK. Anyone have an idea?
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:01 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Have you tried the salted butter? It's delicious.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Salted butter in coffee? Ooh, no thank you - I'll stick to the unsalted. Drinking bulletproof coffee has turned me into a connoisseur of butters - I'm up to the organic, cultured butter now. It really does tastes better, but it's not cheap. I try to stick to one cup a day, plus an additional cup with hwc (2 TB at a time). I know Dr. Atkins recommended not having more than 4 TB of heavy cream in a day, but I don't know if that applies with NK. Anyone have an idea?
I eat more than 4 TB of cream a day, and it does not hurt me. I don't eat the quantity of vegetables that Atkins recommends, though, so may it have to do with having too many carbs at one time.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

I put salted butter in my tea sometimes, as well as beef broth, along with the cream and/or hh.

I often drink 4 - 6 ounces of hwc per day, on days without that much hwc, I eat more beef fat and/or butter.

Peter Dobromylskyj's post on what he eats, might be of interest to some.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I have been adding a pinch of salt to my coffee, as I really get low on sodium and it's a good way to get a bit more in. I think a bit of salt actually adds to the taste.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

I grew up with my mother adding a pinch of salt to the coffee grounds before brewing. It does bring out the flavor.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Some Italians (and Swedes) add salt to coffee grounds although it seems to be a regional variation in both countries.

There's a genetic component to which bitterness compounds you taste (in addition to other factors).

Crudely, salt can reduce the sensation of bitterness without adding sugar. There's an experiment where people taste tonic water, someone stirs in a little salt, gives it to them again and ask if it's changed. People typically report that the tonic water is sweeter (because the bitterness is reduced, the other taste profile in the water is more prominent).

I think it's one of the reasons that some people enjoy sea salt chocolate so much - the addition of salt knocks down the bitterness of the 85% or so chocolate sufficiently for them to be able to taste the rest of the chocolate.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
I put salted butter in my tea sometimes, as well as beef broth, along with the cream and/or hh.

I often drink 4 - 6 ounces of hwc per day, on days without that much hwc, I eat more beef fat and/or butter.

Peter Dobromylskyj's post on what he eats, might be of interest to some.
Great info on this blog. Thanks for sharing Auntie Em.
April04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
I usually use 1 - 1.5 oz. per cup. I weigh mine. It's not exact, though, but it keeps me honest. Otherwise I might pour and pour and end up with a little coffee with my cream. I use a frother, too, and love it. Make a difference, especially when using coconut oil.

If it weren't for calories and fat, I'd probably have 1 cup of coffee with cco and cream and 2 of tea with cco and cream every day. So good.
gordita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

April, I agree about Peter's blog. I don't understand most of the science, but I always check the comments after the blog posts, to see what gets asked and answered.

Gordita, yep, the calories do add up, but oodles of cream and a pinch of pastured butter in tea or coffee is so nice. I sometimes add beef broth and marrow fat, too.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
April, I agree about Peter's blog. I don't understand most of the science, but I always check the comments after the blog posts, to see what gets asked and answered.

Gordita, yep, the calories do add up, but oodles of cream and a pinch of pastured butter in tea or coffee is so nice. I sometimes add beef broth and marrow fat, too.

It is nice, and way more satisfying!
gordita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I try to measure, 2 tbsp of fat per cup. But sometimes I go over, no doubt, but not regularly. Typically two, almost never more than 3 cups a day. I am adding a pinch of salt directly to the oil or fat in the coffee cup. I like the taste and I am always looking for tasty ways to get my salt consumption up.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gordita, I agree. I started adding butter to my tea and beef broth when I lived in a very cold climate, and was reminded of Tibetans putting cultured yak butter, salt, and some milk in their tea. I drink it even in the summer. Not yak butter, but Kerrygold, when I have it, and the beef broth and marrow fat is satisfying and satiating, for me.